TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @tiredwife Hope you are doing great. Tomorrow I will be one week away from my surgery date. I had my pre op on Thursday . I found the meeting about pt a little discouraging as it did not discuss what I thought they should have talked about. Four of us were at this meeting at the hospital . I was surprised that no one had told them what they would need to have to come home with.what to expect when they came home or what to expect at the hospital.

The lady sitting beside me asked me when we went into the room if I had ever had this type of surgery and I told her that I had my right knee surgery. She seemed like she had been left totally in the dark and before the meeting she asked did I wake up during the surgery and I told her that for my surgery I felt nothing during the surgery heard nothing just slept. The other lady was upset that she would wake up too early and I told her that in my case that did not happen she should talk to her surgeon if she could before the surgery to help calm and worries she had. The lady sitting beside me was concerned she would not know when to put her ice pack on in the hospital and how to time it out before pt came.

I told her the nurses took care of the ice for me when I had my surgery not to worry she would have help and if needed ask. The pt was concentrating more on what to expect when they came to visit and that we should not expect to rest this would not happen. I became concerned when the pt who was training that day said that on the first day it would be expected everyone should be able to go to and from bed on their own to the bathroom and needing no assistance at this time.

I raised my hand and said that when I was in the hospital the nurses talked to me and said that if needing to use bathroom or any other help they did not want to have me trying on my own wished that I call so someone could help me and wanted me to be safe and not fall. I also mentioned that on the day of surger when I did need to use the commode the nurse was very kind helped me and because my leg felt limp without her I would not have had the strength to go from bed to commode on my own and until trying how would you know this and then you would have possibly fallen.

I wish more had of been explained to the people just doing this for the first time as they seemed scared. one of the ladies tried to take notes and the girl told her that she would rather they listen and not ask any questions till the end of the talk. I am very happy that I had my first replacement where the information meeting touched on things that helped me in my surgery as without this first meeting I would have felt a little lost to.

The rest of the pre-op day went well now just visit with the anesthesiologist on Tuesday and tomorrow assessment to check to see if our house is ready for me to come home after surgery and then just a few more days. Lots of kind wishes being given by friends and people we know the dentist is worried I will not be home for Christmas and he wished me the best, so almost time, ready to go and happy to be having my left knee surgery . Can't believe that next week is Christmas where has the time gone coming so fast. My husband had a nice birthday our restaurant friends made a nice fuss over him and came to wish him a Happy Birthday so full such a nice day. Wishing you the best Holly
 
Holly,
I am glad you are prepared for your TKR, sounds like the people in your class are still in the dark. Were you able to tell them about Bonesmart?
Give you husband Happy Birthday Wishes, sounds like he had a great day.
It is snowing lightly here, the storm was not supposed to arrive until tomorrow, seems it is making an early appearance. I am glad we can stay home. :snows:
 
Hello Holly

I so enjoy reading your posts. I fell asleep for a short time and woke up with a start to hubby's face over me. Then I realised he wasn't there. I just hobbled downstairs to check he was ok. He was fast asleep on the sofa. Must have been the morphine x
 
Hi @Pumpkln I hope the ladies manage alright so hard to see them this close to their surgery day left out of getting the information they deserved. I found the meeting very tense. I do not think they liked that people in the meeting had previously had surgery as almost like they did not want to answer things they did not know the answers to.

I felt so much like I wanted to tell them make them feel easier about the surgery tried to say that they would feel much better after said that do not let anyone make you feel like you are doing less then you should you will need rest, be patient, talked to them before the meeting found when I mentioned about the need to get help the pt were not happy and told the pt that the time after surgery was not explained it was not as cut and dried as just having the surgery , and with a little bit of information and support the results after surgery would not be as difficult.

I was in no way negative as I told the woman beside me when she asked that I was so very pleased that this surgery was available to me when my knee was getting so difficult to walk on and that no after looking back know it was well worth having the surgery it has helped me so much. No mention of pain or being careful. The girl said that she would not recommend wearing leather pants we should not be tripping on wires at home might not be able to go to a dance right away and standing two hours cooking might be a little hard. thought this was silly not really helpful.

She also suggested bringing clothes with us so we could get dressed the day after surgery and reading my phamplet the hospital directions say bring as little as possible with you to the hospital . I told her after the meeting and by this time I was feeling upset that the reason so many people have issues with feeling like they have failed is because the expectations for the first few days set by people who have not gone through this major surgery make people feel frustrated and skipping over what people really need to know is a very unfair way to treat a patient who is not sure if they are doing it right.

I did mention bone smart told them that they would like the help they would find and that any doubts they had they would still have lots of time to sort out just write. that I told them was where I found what helped me along the rest of my way and still helps me. The ladies both left looking scared, not sure one even mentioned she was not sure she would do it we were also told that by the day after surgery we would be expected to go 30 meters on our own unassisted and if we did not do well they would not be fooled and would assume we had not read the book. I felt uncomfortable to , but know if they do try to do anything to me they will be told no if it seems like it is going to hurt the way they did the last time around.

Did not see them for the rest of the pre-op hoped I would but wondering if they even stayed at the hospital they seemed very upset and the meeting did not make them less this way. I had a chance to talk to the man who was in our meeting. He mentioned he appreciated my talking about the way they explained how we would easily get out of bed right away and said he would rather if a meeting of this importance had been held by an experienced person and not someone who had just started, he said he knew when the meeting started that the knowledge of the person holding it was not strong and wondering why the pt who was sitting in on the meeting did not step in and help as if knowing this meeting would be this stressful.

l I would have asked to decline and carry on with the other pre-op things. Until this strange meeting felt so comfortable then a little apprehensive hoping not to have to deal with these people as I will mention anything that they do to my surgeon. Hope you are doing fine and not too long now till Christmas wishing you the best. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Nana moon 27 Just realizing I posted my post to Mary on the Christmas post my mistake but oh well nice to have a chance to have a chance to talk to her. Sometimes forgetting where I am happy to had her post to.

Hope you are alright and remembering how it felt sometimes when on my medication it did not take away the pain but did make me feel like things were places they were not so understanding how you felt.

It has been such a busy week so wanting to visit your Christmas thread and tell you the card you made are really lovely. Such a great idea and as you said such a personal part of you such a special thing to give to someone. My husband had his 60th birthday today, we went out for our supper to our favorite place in the town a little way off and with being so busy lately we have not had a chance to go there. The friends we have made so many nice people working there a family owned business and such a lovely place to go all decorated Christmas quilts now on the walls, trees lit up and garlands over the pathways. So many families tiny children so nice to see them all glowy and happy and with their families, One little boys Mom told me he was so excited looking at the pies and the huge turkey and roast beef they were carving. I told her and him always be excited that is so important be excited life should have a little everyday even if it is the way we wake up each day wondering what will be part of our day hoping it is something good.

My husbands brother visited us yesterday to bring my husband a card. My husband is the youngest of 8 kids and now only my husband and his brother left. Nice to have a good chance to talk we do not see him often with working nights and his kids growing up and trying to find a common chance to meet so happy he came sharing memories and time to sit together he was asking about movies , showed us a picture of our nephews daughter she is now 15 almost 16 and is aa wonderful ice skater

. She has competed in dance competitions with her partner and winning very high standing. He was so proud told him she must love him so much . His wife died tragically of cancer so small tiny when she died such a terrible way to see her died and he misses her so much he loved our tree and memories of all the trees shared by his family and this year no tree he cannot bear to have it there without her and telling him underst he mentioned he may put up the small tree as he loved our tree and said she would like him to have one. I am now just a week away from surgery. Time is going fast but so ready hoping all goes well and knowing with my husband I will be in caring hands he is so good to me.

This year only buy a little have his ready to wrap and wishing I could give him more watching our budget, but know he will like what gifts I have for him happy just to have time to share with one another and hoping to be home for Christmas. All the best for you and your cards are really lovely good job. Holly
 
@lavender Yea, I got on your thread! You are getting really close to your surgery date now. Hubby didn't have any type of class for his TKR. If it hadn't been for Bonesmart and other sites we wouldn't have known what to expect. I'm sure you are all ready and will do fine.
 
I am so glad that you got rid of her. It sounds that she belived, in no pain, no gain. When you have a knee done it has to be treated very gentle. You don't want to be set back. Go slow and listen to the knee. It will tell you want it likes and dislike. Easy does it. Take care and keep us informed how you are doing. Tashia
 
Hi @tiredwife and @tashia

The pre-op day started with a little talk with the pt part of the day. It brought back memories not good ones. When I was in the hospital for my right knee the pt lady at that time was really nice and encouraging. I met her on the last day in the morning and she was very concerned for my safety. I needed to go for an xray so she asked would I be alright walking to the bed that would take me to my xray and this was one of my exercises just from my bed to the hallway. She stayed with me telling me to go slow and not rush she was nice. I was wheeled back up to my room and then asked to see if I could walk back to my bed once again with the feeling she cared to make sure I was safe.

That afternoon I walked out to the hallway to the stairs that were set up just four I think to practice. Same care given and patient made me feel like I was doing fine just taking my time. It was that afternoon when my surgeon and the specialist came to visit me and seeing me sitting for a little time after the stairs in my chair the pt lady who was so nice extimated measuring my knee that my Bend was 85 degrees and for the days there no pushing just gentle walking no problem. My surgeon was happy they helped me back into bed and then he asked how would I feel about going home early would that work. I was so happy he said he was pleased and thought it would be nice to go home and be with my husband so I went.

During my hospital stay no aggressive treatment very kind nurses so when the pt came to our house the first pt lady she was gentle to and worked with me on doing my exercises . It was not till the second lady came that the aggressive pushing and talk about manipulation started she was not nice. It was after her third visit that I called and said no more. Until this second lady never knew about bend it was not the focus just keeping moving a bit.

The pt part of the pre-op actually made me feel intimidated they were not open to any input from us just sit quiet and listen knowing this will not happen when I am in the hospital nor at home this time around. I will be having a visit today at our home with the person who accesses our house and will see how she is and if she is going to come for a few visits it will depend on her way of doing things as to how long she will be welcome. I am going to discuss this with her today and set the boundaries. Not going through what I did last time both physically and mentally with their tactics. Happy to know what to expect a bit more but still happy to have this surgery. Holly
 
Hi @lavender, just thought I'd pop in to say hi, and tell you not to worry. My shiny new left knee is just 9 days old today. The week before I went in I was getting more and more flashbacks to the first TKR, in January of this year. I quite frightened myself, and wondered why I was doing this again (possibly because I was back to crawling up stairs again?). But it is all fine, everyone in the hospital was lovely, caring and very kind. Being totally prepared for it this time has certainly helped, everything at home was set up so it was all in place when I got home, rather than having to discover what I needed and then my husband having to go out for it. I'm sure you will be just the same, very prepared. The last few days are a bit anxiety filled, because we know what we are in for, but believe me, even 9 days on , I'm in less pain than I was before the op, so it is definitely worthwhile. Good luck, I will be thinking of you, xxx
 
@lavender Hubby's home PT was great and so was his outpatient PT. Only problem we had was in the hospital a therapist came in they day he was to be discharged (knee 1) and pushed on his leg. The other therapist there had been great, but this one gave no warning or anything and just shoved! I turned in a complaint. His outpatient therapy was in the hospital and one day his regular two therapist wasn't there so he had that woman again. You could tell she was nervous (I guess she was yelled at because of my complaint) and she didn't lay a finger on him that time. Someone hurts you complain, it might change how a therapist handles other people.
 
:kittychris:Hi @Ellejay Thank you for your lovely post. Very nice to hear from you. I am so happy to hear that your knee is doing good and just 9 days after your surgery how wonderful things are feeling better for you. I know how you felt crawling up the stairs one knee is doing great now but so hard for it to try to take care of my left knee the one that will be having surgery next Monday

. I have been so excited just want to get my knee taken care of and remembering how I told my surgeon on the day he removed my staples that I was very thankful for the kind treatment I received in the hospital last time he thought it was nice I mentioned the caring treatment as he said not many people take time to let them know they have done something good and said he would pass the message on to the girls on the floor I was on .

How are you feeling hope you are not having a lot of pain. I am thinking that this time around it will be a little easier as really did not know what to expect last time ready this time around. We have stocked up on things we will need and will save my husband any more to go out to buy then he needs to do less running around for him I hope. Bath bench ready to go into our bathtub and commode ready to. Ordered my knee wrap at my hospital visit and this will hold my ice packs after surgery and at home.

Last surgery I did not know my surgeon well and not sure what to ask but this time so comfortable with him he is a very caring man and happy we have discussed what will happen when surgery over and coming home. He is easy to talk to and know he has looked into changes he will make in medication for pain this time around and changes in pt he will allow.

One more appointment tomorrow with the guy who will put me to sleep for surgery and then that will be it till surgery day. Hope you are getting time to have some rest, and relaxing, and pain is under control and wishing you all the best for a smooth recovery.

I am ready to go , feeling calm and happy to have the date so close now and looking forward to reading your post and sending mine to you to. All the best wishes for you and not long now it is almost Christmas looking forward to coming home and my knees feeling stronger to. Holly :reindeersleigh:reindeerlights:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @tiredwife Good to hear that your husband had good pt at home it makes such a difference in how you feel and how you manage. It is also good that you told the hospital when the pt hurt your husband sometimes people do not think and maybe after you talked to them she was nicer to other patients. The first pt lady at our house told me when I told her that I would be having my left knee surgery later that when I had my second surgery she would be happy to come back just had to give them her name and she would help with my next pt. She was nice and would kneel beside me while I did my exercises and help count off the amounts of each.

She was helpful when trying our stairs and offered suggestions, made sure we had what was needed to have baths and showers safely and liked her. She only stayed for the first three visits and then another lady came in stead she was much rougher and felt uncomfortable with her. My husband said at the time he wondered if the lady that replaced her might have changed the routes or had holidays before this as she came with a clip board and just stood there . Not comfortable with her and then on the third visit she came in and received a phone call people were yelling so loud could here them away from phone she left only there for 3 minutes and missed pt that day.

The methods were different first lady seemed to understand and said that I was doing fine but the second lady was the one that mentioned more flex or manipulation felt threatened and scared with her. She told me that she wanted me to sit in a chair pull my leg back and this was how I would stay for the day I guess she thought I was not trying and I really was trying and she was the reason I started to go even harder . The list of her exercises was different then the list from the first lady and found that with the amount expected I just seemed to finish my exersizes and then had to start all over again they took most of the day.

My knee by this point was huge and so swollen and I was at this time getting very down and felt like things would not improve. My flex with all of the pushing dropped down from 85 degrees to 50 and at this time signed up to go to physio at my surgeons office building. This was not an improvement and one day while sitting in the hallway my surgeon saw me and came up telling me he was suspending the pt no more pt he said it was not helping in fact it was hurting me so suggested massages asked would I like to try those. I found this was when things changed flex went up to 90 degrees he really worked my knee and sometimes it really hurt but told when it hurt or hopefully before tell him he was not expecting more pain when leaving and did not want to cause me pain he was very patient and encouraging for me left and came feeling so much better

. He knew how to do these massages and we would talk he and his wife had just brought their brand new baby home and I liked talking to him about this little baby. He did more for me then any pt and worked not only on my physical movement but on my mental state of mind which had changed cried after pt felt like I was a failure now feeling at massage like I was doing great such a difference. Hoping to ask my surgeon who is supporting just massage this time and walking to tell me how soon for massages to start when it will be safe probably after staples come out. My massage guy told me that if I had started massages earlier last time probably less swelling and less stress. This is my goal will start with a little in home visits and then just massages.

I called the place with the second pt woman and explained the reason for quitting her visits they were concerned about the treatment and told them no more. My surgeon has asked that I get in touch now with massage guy and make arrangements for date to start. This is something to look forward to as on that day no more pt visits. Trying to give this lady a chance she might be good so hoping to get a few things talked about with her today . Holly
 
Today we went to visit our friends in our park lots of ducks today and they were hungry . Met a little tiny dog on our way over to the water she was on a walk looking at the displays so stopped to give her a pat and talk. The park has so many decorations money gathered is for a good cause and will be donated to charity. The merganser duck was with the Mallard ducks today it has been since the spring since we have seen her. Trying to make sure she had a chance to eat to all on her own female wondering why no other Merganser ducks with her first time in the years we had went to feed our feathered friends ever seeing a Merganser duck so pretty just appeared last spring .

It is very foggy today overcast, weather today is very mild and feeling like spring time. Our weather is supposed to get much warmer this week and today it is sitting at 3 degrees celsius. Just waiting for the lady to come and looking forward after this to having a nice hot bath early putting on my nightgown and sitting relaxing watching television and movies. Now today only 6 days more. My husband bought pillowcases for my body pillows for elevating my knee and can't think of anything else that will be needed. Can't wait till Monday morning off to the hospital to arrive that day by 6 am and then my knee will get all fixed up. Hope you are having a nice day stores getting quite busy happy not to need to do any more shopping. Holly
 
@lavender we fill very lucky that all but that one time, hubby had gentle PT. When his home PT first came, very first day she walked in hubby thought oh no, she is going to hurt me. The woman is over 6 ft. tall and looks like a Marine drill Sgt., but she was so kind and gentle. We requested her for the second knee, and was glad to get her. Only about 7 days now and it will be your turn again.
 
Hi @tiredwife I was good that your husband was able to get the same pt the next time around. This is she was good at pt would have made him feel more comfortable. One less thing to worry about.

The pt lady had now left and think she might be alright hoping so. She had a look around checked out our home and what we had for equipment. Tested the way I walked and measured me left knee is at this time bending 115 degrees which is better then the bend on my right knee before surgery. She timed me walking across our living room and that was recorded. She was not happy that we did not have more lights to turn on two lamps and ceiling light not enough told her that enough light for us as I do cross stitch in this light.

I explained the meeting at the hospital and how little information and she said maybe I did not understand them they do not seem to be open to admitting that they are not free from flaws and that some people who are in the pt business are not suited she said must have been my misunderstanding but she did say not all are as good as others. I mentioned that my surgeon is supportive of massages and this was what he had talked about with me he told me no pt this time.

She asked me to show her how I did the stairs and suggested rather then going up with one foot per stair I should go back to one stair both feet. I said that I had did the stairs that way through recovery and she said she still does one stair both feet safer she said and would be easier on my knees. I told her that pt had said when checking stairs outside of our home at the clinic that by that time going one stair per foot was how I should be doing it that she said be safe do what you are comfortable with.

I explained to her the former pt problems, and the aggressive treatment. She explained that if they do not get the bend expected they have to explain to the surgeon and they will be in trouble. I asked if the reason the did this type of pt was because they were afraid she explained that she understood why I was told about manipulation and I explained that my surgeon was not pleased that this had been threatened. I told her that until the pt my knee was not as sore as it became after pt started on me. She said that the reason for swelling was because my knee was overworked and I told her the reason for the knee being overworked was because the expectations for bend which before pt I had my bend and this was stressful trying to meet what they would expect. I told her that my surgeon was supportive of my well being and that he would support me if problems with aggression arose.

I told her that the pt mentioned manipulation if bend did not go above 85 the second week home and she said maybe I misunderstood the things they said my husband assured her he was present with the pt and no understanding on my part.

She was happy with the things we have for my safety, the walkers and, bath seats etc. I told her that I had no concerns no concerns with the surgery or surgeon, or with my ability just with the pt and their lack of understanding of the seriousness of the surgery that is involved and the pain that goes with it. She told me she knows this is a painful surgery and she thinks this time need to go a little easier on my knee maybe less bending.

She will be alright from this first impression but will not put up with what i did last time. She is from another branch of a different company then the past person hired by our community care to give me home care. She has left me with the same exercises from last time but instead of ten per each she has said only 5 per each of 6 exercises three times a day which should be fine. I am staying strong know that the past pt was not just a mis understanding on my part. I know that I am not the only person who has had to go through this type of rough pt and will not let anyone hurt me this time around.

I told her that my medication will be different this time as my surgeon has told me that last time he did not give me strong pain medication and she said my tolerance to pain must be low knowing that is not true but my tolerance to nasty aggressive people is low and this will not be the case this time around. She will be back within 48 hours of my surgery but because it will be Christmas she might not be back for a week as predicting the day she will come back as being the Monday marking one week since surgery this will give me a few days to do exercises on my own and time away from pt visiting. I will talk to my surgeon on surgery day and ask how he is going to handle my pt is this what he is going to expect. Next time I will be wearing shorts, and can change when she leaves still not sure about pt only part I am not looking forward to . Left knee measuring better bend then right did at this point so think this time maybe bend will be easier so pt will not be as stressful hope so. Holly
 
@lavender I am glad that you won't put up with an aggressive pt. They can cause some serious problems! You have to be strong and not back down. No PT should ever threaten MUA because they aren't doctors! Let them know that you are the boss!
 
Hi @tiredwife I am going to stay strong on this and will not let pt make me feel this way. I think the surgery is the least of my worries with this knee replacement. I will do the exercises but to the limits I can do them. This pt has each exercise listed and rather then the ten times per each exercise she has them marked as 5 each so this is better. She cannot say too much I understand as has to stick together with other pt but when she said I must have pushed my self know I knew better then that after all I was the one that had pain after the pushing. Think she knows that all pt are not up to par must hear complaints from other people she does pt for.


I told her that it is much easier on her side of the situation as she is not dealing with the pain and things that are part of this surgery. I am hoping she will be alright but if not that will be the last time she will come or she will change her way. I am amazed how when bone smart is mentioned they change the subject or just shuffle it off. I make a point of mentioning bone smart and the way it has helped me so much having the great information sources, knowledgable people who know what they are talking about and friends who have experienced this surgery and can relate to what I am feeling

. Wondering thinking about pt I have met and wondering if they are afraid we will know more then they hope we will and realize what they are doing to us might be the wrong thing to do. Hope you are getting time to relax a bit and wishing you a nice week. Holly

I made it clear that after the rough treatment I talked to my surgeon who was not pleased and after enough was enough he told me to let them know all pt and things that went along with their program were to be suspended no more with his support his new treatment plan was gentle walking only this was what he prescribed. Anxious to see him after surgery and talk again as I think he will suggest the massages only and walking we talked about this before and he was very supportive. It was his idea. This time going in with my left knee which has a better bend to start off and hoping this will be an easier recovery. Not worried about surgery at all just hoping no problems I will have to fix with pt. If there is they will be taken care of right away by me and then my surgeon. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lavender Holly, a therapist told me once that the aggressive therapy was the old way of doing things and not what is being taught now. So obviously some therapist aren't keeping up on the changes. Hope you get a good one this time.
 
Reading the instructions for the exercises she left thinking they are done 3 times a day and now noticing they are hourly.
Noticing this sheet was printed between 1999 and 2005 could they not find something more current.

1. Pumping ankles alternately 10-20 times per ankle do this hourly

2. Tighten up thigh muscles of straight surgical leg while counting out loud to 10 do this hourly

3. Place a large can or rolled towel under surgical leg straiten leg hold 5 seconds 10 times per hour when awake

4.Squeeze buttocks muscles as tightly as possible while counting out loud to 5 do this 5 -10 times each hourwhen awake

5. Bend surgical knee and pull heel toward buttocks repeat 5-10 times hourly

6. Bend your good knee up until the foot is flat on the bed. Keep your surgical leg as straight as possible and tighten muscles on top of thigh. Lifting 3 inches from bed lower it slowly 10 times once a day

7. Sitting on a chair Straighten operated leg and try to hold for 5 minutes . Repeat 10 times do this three sessions a day.

8. Sitting on a chair Keep feet on floor. slide foot of operated leg back bending knee. hold 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times once a day.

Maybe this sound right but not to me think she will have a little to talk about when she comes next time.
Or at least I will have things to talk to her about. Thinking would have to get up early just to fit them all in this is just the start of the list 4 more to be added. Thinking that to be a pt the requirement should be that you have a major surgery of this type and then your understanding will be where it should be. Happy to have this sheet taking it to show my surgeon wondering what he will say. Going to phone the massage clinic in my surgeons office and make arrangement for these things sound like they are going to be the same way as last time and this amount of exercise more then last time better find some looser leg pants. or wear my shorts to fit my knee into them. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom