TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lavender I put a dry erase board on the fridge and write appointments down on that. I will look at the fridge, but I forget to look at the calendars. You have a lovely day!
 
Hi @tiredwife Great idea noticing how many appointment we have in a month now our calenders get a bit full. Things will calm down after my surgery and then less appointments for me . Just need to go to hospital when time for my staples to be taken out and checkup with my surgeon, my family doctor I will not be seeing till my three month follow up, and hoping to have time to be at home and let my knee heal and not needing to go too far I hope for a little while. Hope you are having a nice day Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Pumpkln Hope you having a great day. I am now on a countdown today will be 13 days till surgery and getting anxious ready to have the day come. Taking the slow approach this time and even with pt that may be sent to our home setting the limits of what will be happening. My surgeon is very supportive of this as he has said the aggressive approach that pt felt was needed will not happen this time. Feeling that the pain management will be much better to .

He listens and cares and is making sure that my recovery time will be a lot less stressful and painful. I am in good hands my husband is very thoughtful and is helping to make sure I have what I will need and my surgeon is as he said at my appointment going into this surgery with me with our eyes wide opened to make sure that things go as smooth as we can have them and then also a wonderful thing too I will have all of you Pumpkln and all of my bone smart friends to help me with my questions , and as you always have support me in my recovery so happy to have all of you to and thanks for always being there. Holly
 
No appointments tomorrow, did a little shopping today just two places but so ready to come home. I am finding that even the small walks are getting hard to do.

Tonight my knee is not as swollen as it has been over the past week but still swollen and resting it up as too cold to go to have a walk in our park and left knee is telling me it wants to rest to.

Tomorrow only 12 days till my surgery and this will be a welcome day. My knee is telling me it has waited long enough the effects of the cortisone shot that I was given in September seem to be wearing off and thank ful to have my surgery coming . Thursday will be my pre-op day and needing to remember to take my medications with me and pre-op paperwork. This is the day that I should get a chance to purchase a new wrap with ice packs and my husband said he will go and pay for it while I am having my ex-rays. So excited just a little while longer, finding my best loose leg pants to wear to hospital on surgery day to make it more comfortable when coming home, and so ready for December 22nd. Not much longer to wait so happy. Holly
 
@lavender
Hello Holly,
I wanted to stop by & wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery :friends:
You sound so much like me.... I basically couldn't walk the week before my surgery.
I was actually looking forward to my day, I timed it just right.
Thank You for the kind words on @tiredwife thread about my little "Mouse"
She was very sick & I am happy with my decision :catbutterfly:
I wish you the best out come, my Friend, we all know it's the right thing to do to get
On with our lives.
Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
@new knee in June

Hi @Diana And so lovely to receive your post and thanks so much. I am so sorry about your baby your "Mouse". All four of our cats died from complications of cancer and their kidneys shut down. Hard to watch knowing they were sick longer then we wanted to admit and knowing how hard it was for you having to deal with this happening thinking of you .

The day our last kitty left us was the day that they were having a celebration at work for my 35 years of service they had a lunch gave me a flower arrangement, and a gift along with a friend of mine who started a few months after I did. I went to the gathering it was held over the lunch hour my day off. I did not want to spoil it for my friend so we went but did not stay long. Not wanting my picture taken people wondered why I was crying and then explaining they understood but after thinking I should have stayed home. Not a good day to be in a crowd and wanting to just be by ourselves. You are a kind person know you are and have a good heart and knowing your lovely little "Mouse had a very nice life with you and your husband and family.

I am so ready for my surgery , just 12 more days seems so long now just want to get all finished and then looking forward to spring and lots of walks or maybe even go to our park and walk to the benches. Very ready. Went to pick up a few movies for my husband for Christmas and a gift card for Kernels popcorn which he really likes. Not spending too much this Christmas but movies are something he enjoys. Just out of the car into the mall door down a little way to the movie store. Felt like I had walked for miles then just across the aisle to the popcorn stand. Sweating and panting, back to the bench down the aisle closest to the popcorn place and sitting felt so good. My husband made sure I got where I needed leaving me for a few minutes to shop and then back holding my arm and then back to the car.

I felt like I had been in a marathon. I worked in the mall in our store which was a very large store for many years 38 years retail. I used to travel around and around the store in a day back and forth bending and lifting climbing and over our lunchtime used to travel way down to the end of the mall and back all within my hour lunch time no problem. But now walking just a tiny way had my hair in a pony tail soaked just couldn't wait to go home. Shopping all done now maybe just picking up a few lottery tickets or small stocking things but planning to purchase these at our local drug store walk from car into door little bit around back out and sit. Like to shop where they have shopping carts they make great walkers and you would understand so not as hard to get about .

Wishing you the best, hope you are doing alright and sorry you are dealing with and knowing the decision you made was the kindest for your little "Mouse" Love Holly
 
But now walking just a tiny way had my hair in a pony tail soaked just couldn't wait to go home
Do not fret! When you are on the "Other Side" and are fully recovered and have that "matching set"---it will be so much easier and so much more enjoyable.
Felt like I had walked for miles then just across the aisle to the popcorn stand. Sweating and panting, back to the bench down the aisle closest to the popcorn place and sitting felt so good.
Once both are new and all done, this will change 180*!
 
@lavender
I will keep checking on you these last few weeks :friends:will you be home for Christmas ?
I am lucky I work by myself, nobody to see me cry. I feel much better today :) Her ashes
Will be back home to me in 3 days :catbutterfly:Do you have your house set up for when
You come home ?
Thinking of you & your wonderful Husband,
Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
Hi @referee54 Thanking you so much. So looking forward to both knees feeling stonger and steady to walk. Just 12 more days and such a nice gift for Christmas feeling very excited about surgery, great surgeon so lucky, and know with my husband and medical people and surgeon and bone smart I am in very good hands. Holly
 
Not only will your knees feel stronger, but your lifestyle will be so much more dynamic, as the OA pain will be gone, and you will not have to sit things out or just sit and endure pain.

Life is to be enjoyed and to be savored---it is not to be merely endured.

This next TKR will allow you to enjoy and to savor your life!
 
One thing for me that definitely improved was my conditioning---I was in pretty good shape, or so I though---but when both knees were replaced, I had a chance to extend my physical condition, as I was not in any pain anymore and I did not need to sit things out.

Shopping, walking in the park, going to restaurants and much much more will be so much more enjoyable---and, ironically so much easier--when that second one is fully recovered.

Ironically, when thing become normal---which is what we want--we suddenly do not focus on the knee anymore, as there is no need to think of it. Moving around from spot to spot take no effort and does not hurt. Suddenly we can go for days and days without thinking or focusing on our knees, as they do what they are supposed to do.

We crave this normalcy
 
@new knee in June Hi Diana and so happy to you are feeling a bit better. Hard to handle but knowing she is no longer in pain. People we work with and our friends knew how much our babies meant to us and many remembered the day we came to work and so excited that we had brought our Oscar and Elizabeth home. We used to talk with them about things they did and they knew we really wanted and loved them so the day of the party wondering why we were so upset not wanting to talk to tell them knowing I would start to cry when each left all of our cats died from cancer. Katie was our last one and she lived till she was 17.

Take time and remember how many things you shared together , crying is a natural way to release and being the kind, giving person you are knowing she had they best home she could have ever wished to be part of in her family.

I am hoping to be home for Christmas my surgeon does not seem to see any problems ad last surgery went in for 10:30 surgery time on a Friday and surgeon came into my room on the Sunday that weekend and asked if I would like to leave then instead of waiting to go home on Monday morning and happy to get the chance.

I really think this surgery will be even better so after talking to my family doctor the other day he said he was sure they would let me go by Christmas eve and hoping to come home that morning as the surgeons secretary said when I asked her the day she gave me my appointment if everything looks good then coming home will be no problem.

My brother has asked us for Christmas dinner. We will be on one floor bathroom on main floor so no stairs to climb. His living room has lots of room so taking my little hugo walker it only has two wheels for inside walking . My Dads walker I can use to get from our house to car My brother he said he will drive our car with us as it is a lot easier to get in and out of then his car would be. My sister in laws Mom will be there too and really enjoy talking to her she is very kind and enjoy her and my nieces. Really nice girls one has just moved into the house they bought and the other is on break from teaching college lot

s to talk about. My brother said he will take us home when we are tired so this will save my husband the cooking of a turkey thinking he will have enough with running around back and forth to the hospital so he will enjoy this break to. Our home is ready as I think all pathways are clear, going to start practicing with my new bath bench, my husband said we can switch sides of the bed just for a try as his side is just a few steps from our bathroom, found my ice grip for the bottom of my cane and found another for just 2.00 on clearance Hugo brand so putting it away just in case. Cross stitching handy for times I feel like stitching but hoping to get sleep this time as last time seemed so hard to sleep.

I am all ready to go , little bag with toothbrush soap, stuff, ready just taking myself, little bag what I am wearing and that is all. It will be a long day for my husband but he says he will be just fine. My brother is saying he will pick us up by 5 :15 am off to the hospital for 6:00 check in and then on my way to new knee and new movement. Can't wait what a great present for Christmas. Take care of yourself Diana and all the best to you. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @referee54 Looking forward to having a more normal way of living. I worked for 38 years on my feet and until the last 10 or 15 years never had any issues with my knees at work just kept going. My husband and II used to go for long walks for pleasure go for miles and loved walking. Never thought about it just went down to the wildlife park by us just about 45 minutes each way. Rode our bikes for ages and kept going and then it all became so hard to do the enjoyment was gone and the walking was painful and no longer something that I looked forward to doing.

Then trying to find a way to have do things so needing to take less steps so much I had taken for granted and hard to deal with when you find your movement is so limited So pleased to have the surgeon that I have he is the best and very people oriented not up on a pedestal but up close and very nice so good at what he does some people do what they were meant to do and he was meant to be a surgeon.

It is so true life is to be enjoyed and the having my new knee is that will make such a big difference to both myself and my movement and to the time with my husband which will help us to get back to doing some of the things we have missed doing together. Thanks so much and wishing you a wonderful day Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Things are coming along nicely. Today just talking to the woman who phoned me to tell me that she will be coming to our home to do an assessment on how well it is set up for my coming home after surgery. She was hoping to come tomorrow but told her that Thursday will be tied up with my pre-op at the hospital. Date set for Monday at 3:00pm and then one more thing off the list just a week from this day will be my surgery day so happy to see things going along so smoothly. She had called yesterday and left a message but could not understand the message left and phone number was a little fuzzy. She sounds nice and know our house is ready for my surgery.

The transfer bench we bought is all assembled putting it in the bathroom today and trying out the best place to set it up so that it works with the nice new bars that our landlords had installed for us.
I have a commode that we bought in the summer it will come in handy as our bathroom is upstairs and will help from having to go up and down all day.We have a place on main floor where it can go just in case. Cane all set. When my Dad died my Mom let me have his walker so have my Dads walker. We bought a walker for my last surgery so had one before my Dad died so have this walker to and it will be used to walk in our house My Dads I use outside and then a small one we bought way back just before our store closed a Hugo just a stand type walker but good for upstairs as it has two wheels and the other supports are rubber stops that keep you from going too fast have to life it up a little and then just push it along so good to get back and forth upstairs to bathroom.

My husband brought me home a leg lifter from the phamacy by our park one day so this is ready to. The new body pillows he bought hoping to have one for the couch for elevating and with two new bed pillows I cn use our pillows for elevating to. Feeling like everything is all set, hoping all ready think so. Thinking this may be the physio person that will come to our house for the first few weeks and this will give me a chance to talk to her about the complications of pt last time. What will be allowed this time around with surgeons support no pushing and aggressive tactic and no stressful visits that leave my new knee in turmoil and trauma and getting it all sorted out and expectations put clear. No pushing this time just as needed gentle treatment for my knee. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My husbands birthday is on Sunday this week so trying to do something nice that day hoping to go to a movie and then out for supper to celebrate. My husbands brother called today to ask if we would be home on Sunday asked if he would like to come on Saturday as we will not be home but looking forward to seeing him. My husbands brother had a really serious accident involving his truck being his by a car a few years ago and was left with damage to his legs.

He understands how pt on a very damaged leg went he was told he would possibly have problems with walking after this serious accident and had damaged done to his back as well. His knee was pushed forward in the car up by the gas and brake petal, he had to have a cast put on and shared with us how many many months it took to get his knee to the point where walking was possible. He came to visit us when I had my first surgery and how much he understood. He told me to take things slow and not to let anyone force the bend and just understood.

Looking forward to seeing him Saturday it will be nice to have a chance to visit with him and nice for my husband as they are the last two left now . My husband was one of 8 kids and now only my husband who is the youngest and his brother who is second youngest left. He is very welcome in our home and he is excited to come he wants to see both of us before Christmas. Wishing me the best for my surgery telling my husband he wants to come to see him he always makes sure he calls my husband for his birthday and it will be nice for them to have some time together. Tomorrow will be just 11 days and then my knee will be all new again. Holly
 
Hi Today is the day for my pre-op appointment it starts at 10:40 and expected as told till last till 3pm. My knee right knee is very sore today and back of knee is throbbing not sure why but sore maybe the cold weather is doing this to it. Last night snow storm expected no snow all night warnings about blowing snow and deep accumulation expected not till an hour ago and now snowing very hard.

Hoping it would not snow till we came home as have some other things to get done after appointment. Hoping not too much walking today most of the time will be sitting needing to have an x-ray, blood test, talk to a nurse, most walking will be from the day surgery desk to elevator as the appointment today starts on the fourth floor discussion with the pt in hospital, then the rest of the things needing to be done will start.

Hoping to get an early start leaving home by 10am get to hospital check in and register at desk this will be the day the requisition for the ice pack wrap that is used after surgery at the hospital will be issued and that will be taken care of. Tomorrow dentist by 8am, Saturday visit from my husbands brother and my brother had mentioned he would be coming this weekend to, Sunday is my husband birthday and he will turn 60. Monday the accessment lady will come in the afternoon and then Tuesday the guy at the hospital who will put me to sleep for my surgery.

Hoping that after this appointment the rest of the week from Wednesday on will be free of appointments giving us time to get groceries to get stocked up, and time to just sit together some relaxing time. Then Monday will be the big day and surgery will finally be here and then not having to plan so much. I will feel better when I am at the hospital and then no worry that something will be forgotten. My husband has gone out now to clean the snow off of our car the snow is coming down pretty heavy and we will both be happy when we are back hime warm and nothing else to do till tomorrow. Hope you have a great day Holly
 
Hi @lavender

Hope your pre op went well today. I was so nervous for mine. They didn't do anything to make me feel that way.
These next few days are going to go so fast now. It probably is the weather making your knee ache. It's amazing how they react to all that. Before my surgery the bad knee gave me lots of trouble. Probably getting me ready.
The weather here has been nasty for a couple of days. Got over a foot to clean up. It looks pretty out there. Christmassy. I know it'll melt in a few days cos the temps are going up in the 40's then drop again. We do get pounded a lot around here which is fine as long as it isn't as bad as what buffalo got.
Hope you have a great and relaxing night.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi everyone it is snowy here today the road are slippery and it seems that the snow is staying. Happy to be home
Hi @appaloosa girl Happy that pre-op is over weather is going to get more snowy here but not as bad as other places around us taking is easy tonight early dentist appointment and although my dentist is a nice guy and very kind just want time at home to do what we want. By 9:30 tomorrow morning hoping to be finished and at home and then just a visit from my husbands brother on Saturday. Hope you are doing fine Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom