TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holly,
Looking forward to hearing how your appointments go today. With all your medical problems, I hope it all goes smoothly and you are ready for your TKR in two weeks.
How are you feeling about having a second TKR?
 
Hi @Pumpkln Hope you are having a nice day still very cold here but so far no snow. Know lots of people are missing the snow kids with their toboggans and skates and those who like to ski but I am enjoying the driving without it. Very cold here though missed going to our park knowing we would not be staying too long so with no appointments now till Thursday pre-op we will have time to go tomorrow.

I had such a good visit with my family doctor today congratulated him on the birth of his brand new little baby daughter. We talked about how much they are enjoying her and his little boys are having a nice time being her brothers and helping out . His little boys are ages 4 and 2 years so his house is probably a pretty busy place. They named her Claire and I told him such a pretty old fashioned lovely name. He is just beaming can tell how happy he is that she arrived safe and that they can now enjoy having her in their family.

My blood test turned out great sugar levels as surgery is coming closer are dropping my readings are the lowest since 2011 when diagnosed and the feeling seeing all sorting out is wonderful so happy to see things looking so good. My blood pressure medication is working so good and he is very pleased with the progress.

I feel so fortunate to have such good people for doctors and such a great surgeon both are very kind and easy to talk to and even on the days when tests may not turn out as good as I had hoped still leave their offices feeling that things are still good and positive vibes.

My family doctor assists at replacement surgeries. He had assisted at surgeries for other surgeons not mine but today he told me that he met my surgeon the other day as on this day he was present and assisted at two surgeries one for a knee replacement and the other for a hip replacement. He told me he really like assisting for my surgeon and we shared how we felt about the kind way he treats his patients. He said he was very impressed at the way my surgeon does his surgeries he said he does it all just right pays attention to the very smallest details and ensures his patients are given the very best care with their replacement he could give.

He wished me lots of luck with my surgery and told him know I will be in good hands. We also talked about the day before my last blood test the day that the atmosphere was so uncomfortable and I told him that I found the last visit there to have improved greatly. He was supportive of my choice to call and complain that day he said that no one should be treated that way and said the only way things like this can be turned around is by people expressing their feelings to people who can change things.

Very good visit today as they usually are he is a great doctor and you can tell he is very happy he looks so happy know he is a great daddy.

I am very excited about my surgery wish the date would come, not worried not worried last time either but feeling that this time around will be much easier as my surgeon told me at my visit. "We will go into this surgery eyes wide open knowing what we need to make sure does not happen to you again .

No aggressive pt, better pain management we discussed the changes he is making this time realizing that what I had for pain last time was not strong enough and telling me not to worry this time about asking for more he knows me now if I ask he will make sure I have the medication I need and not have to wait like last time. Feeling confident ready to go. Pre-op on Thursday morning and then one more appointment the week after and then it will be time so happy I asked to be booked in on waiting list and now almost here. Very ready to go and comfortable about having this surgery Holly
 
My blood test turned out great sugar levels as surgery is coming closer are dropping my readings are the lowest since 2011 when diagnosed and the feeling seeing all sorting out is wonderful so happy to see things looking so good. My blood pressure medication is working so good and he is very pleased with the progress.
That is great news!!! Tremendous!

No aggressive pt, better pain management we discussed the changes he is making this time realizing that what I had for pain last time was not strong enough and telling me not to worry this time about asking for more he knows me now if I ask he will make sure I have the medication I need and not have to wait like last time
That pain management protocol now should be much better for you now---it is great to read that you will have that taken care of beforehand and will not have to wait!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @tiredwife I think we need both memories my Dad started to have difficulties with his short term memories but could remember so many things from the years before. He could tell us what type of day it was when we were born . Things that he did when he was growing up so many precious things he did .

I would never want to loose my recent memories although sometimes when I turn my head I totally forget what I just did for a few minutes so those memories we really need they keep us safe and we need them so much. But hoping never to loose the memories saved over the years, so many wonderful memories all gathered up to make us who we are. People we have loved during our lives, places we have went. things that brought us so much joy and all saved to look back at . Hoping all of my memories stay with me even some of the ones that I would like to forget but all together making us who we are and part of us that are so very precious to our lives. Holly
 
Hi @referee54 So nice to receive your post. I am happy that my surgeon and I started to talk about things needing changed this time around he was very supportive of what I told him about the things from last time that happened and offered ways that we could make this surgery less stress during recovery. He understands that my knee did not handle the aggressive pt that as we discussed not only caused my knee to swell so much and also caused feelings that I was not coming along the recovery as well as they thought I should have.

Talking to my surgeon last time around with first replacement I told him that no matter how much I tried just never seemed to meet their expectations. He was very upset to find out this was they way I was treated and said it would not happen next time so we have been communicating things together that need to be handled different this time.

He is going to ensure a more gentle approach and his focus is not on the flex this time but getting my knee healed and then taking it slower walking is his favorite choice for pt as he said it is the most nature form of exercize and if done properly with out going to the extreme he said it is the pt he is going to recommend for me along with the massages that I went to last time which were very good for my mental wellbeing to.

We have discussed pain management and he has assured me that it will be kept a closer eye on . Told him the last medication did not help at all and he is changing what he will give me this time. Communicating what will need to change this time he listens and he understands. I am so fortunate to have this surgeon very approachable and knowing on surgery day and after through recovery I will be in good hands. Hoping thing are going well for you and hoping your Mom and Dad are managing as well. These times in life can be so difficult we went through so much with the changes my Dad had to handle and very hard as people who love them to see them going through it all Wishing you the best and Thankyou Holly
 
I am happy that my surgeon and I started to talk about things needing changed this time around he was very supportive of what I told him about the things from last time that happened and offered ways that we could make this surgery less stress during recovery.
Communication is the key!!! You are doing great---taking care of this and letting people know what happened, so that they can correct this and help you out!
We have discussed pain management and he has assured me that it will be kept a closer eye on .
You have been very proactive and this will be a big help to you!
He is going to ensure a more gentle approach and his focus is not on the flex this time but getting my knee healed and then taking it slower
Great news here! Do not let anybody push you, intimidate you or set up a schedule for your knee---let the knee dictate the schedule.
 
@tiredwife I understand as I have lists to. I used to remember clear as day but now so many things to remember so lists are the way I remember. We have always bought calendars chose them by the pictures but now chose them not only for the pictures but for the size of the spaces by the dates. Need lots of room to write down appointments, write notes on my cross stitch patterns to as sometimes threading a needle with a color only to realize the color I thought I had in the needle is not what is actually in the needle so needing to pull that part out.

This is what happen to us the year my niece was getting married. So embarrassing. My Dad had just came home from the hospital and my mom to . The week after my husbands sister and our brother in law had their 50 wedding anniversary and their daughter our niece was having a party at their church for them . I went the same week for my first visit with my surgeon just meeting him for the second time and at the hospital that day for my first cortisone shot for my knee., We had just left our store it closed on the 2nd of June that year and it was very upsetting for us so many things just too much to remember.

This story is embarrasing as I got the date of the wedding mixed up. A friend of mine was going to her nephews wedding that summer to and we were talking about the date and wondering if the weddings would be close to each other same place different room. So after all that was happening got it into my mind that the wedding for my niece was on the 22nd of the month instead of the week before I was sure that was the day.

Invitation was sitting on the little table beside our couch kept looking at it but still messed up on the date. My husband had new pants that I bought him for Christmas and he saved a pair for the wedding so they would be nice still turned up the hem for his pants the weekend before this he bought a new pair of shoes had it all laid out hanging in the door way his tie and all set.

I needed a pair of comfortable but nice shoes as working nights wore work shoes and athletic shoes my dressy shoes were not something I felt safe in at this time worried about falling so I a pair bought on clearance that looked nice. I was given a few nice dresses for Christmas that Year so had a dress. Our wedding gifts all ready just needed to be wrapped and paper and bow all ready just did not think we needed to rush as in my head for some reason the date was the date wrong date.

So embarrassing to think about it now but it happened. The day of the wedding we decided to go to the show not knowing it was the day and coming home home that afternoon thinking we were tired and would go for a nap. On the way home almost stopped into the park not feeling very well so went home and almost stopped into my parents but decided to wait till the next day wanted to relax so much was happening at that time.

Just thinking I would have a hot bath before our nap the phone rang. It was my brother he was calling from a hall and then he hung up no message other then the hall. Thought he was at his motorcycle meeting so waited till he called back and then realizing the hall was the wedding hall oh no oh no still not believing it was today .

My husband and I raced around how fast we got dressed, wrapping the gift in between , trying to get on my new shoes and with my knee being so swollen just couldn't do it so put on my soft shoes they looked nice but not the ones I planned on still nice and comfortable. My husband and I took off in the car and on the road where the golf course was that the wedding was being held at was blocked off detoured for quite a ways.,

Not thinking clear still in shock, off we went got lost on the detour way off the track stopped at a large house on the highway , asked directions to get back to the hall. My husband told them man I was really upset so upset how could this have happened.....Then man called over and he told me they would just be happy to see us things happen he said don't worry.

He could tell how silly I felt reached out his hand and said if you both were my family I would just worried something might have happened to you. We found the hall in all of the construction, hoping we had all that we should have on on us hoping no clothing has been left behind left in such a hurry, trying to climb the stairs, and entering the hall greeted by so many.

So embarrased kept telling them I was so sorry how could I have made this mistake still thinking the date was the date I thought it was . My husband had been in the hospital just the month before this so everyone thought maybe something had happened and he was there again so they were relieved to see all was alright.

A beautiful wedding day for them and a memorable experience for us never happened before hoping never happens ever again but even so made it to the reception the wedding my niece told us had take place few minutes before on the golf course exchanged rings and vows and then just a short ceremony. All worked out fine but felt so bad.

Too many things at once and needing a break from the commotion we took time to see a movie happy we were home in time for my brothers call or would not have know we missed it. My life along the way has had a few bumps but all in all many good things have happened to. So many things that were hard to come to grips with had taken place during the months before this wedding upsetting to see the struggles my parents were dealing with in their lives to and before these struggles never seeing so many things for them change upsetting.

Our jobs were gone and the security that the paycheck we earned went with that so almost in sort of shock with this change to after so many years of working and then the feeling of missing the correct date for this wedding how could I have got the date turned around not forgetting the wedding just planning on going the date thought the invitation had told me.

The party for our family my husbands sister and our brother in law who was someone that I very much enjoyed seeing he was such a happy , man he had so many friends . Happy to have had the time with them as just over a month after this party my husbands sister died, she had been in a very tragic car accident a few years before which left her with injury to her brain such a lovely woman , going to the funeral that day seeing our brother in law trying to be strong knowing he was broken inside.

That year was so busy as two months later this wonderful man died to he had health issues cancer other things his wife needed him he stayed strong quietly knowing he was very sick and going back to the same funeral home as this time we lost him. Miss him so much he was the one that welcomed me into my husbands family always felt protective towards me felt like a big brother he was a special man.

Sometimes wondering if our bodies shut down sometimes in the way that our brain and senses feel an overload when things get too much to handle to many things to sort out all at once wondering if our brain goes on pause in a way to keep all from coming to fast slowing down our minds so that we keep from cracking up therefore causing us to forget things that it can't process all at once. Maybe mine did at that time or might have caused me a stroke or something else. How wonderful we all are and how amazing the way our bodies take care of us truly amazing. Holly
 
Hi @referee Thanks so much. I am so grateful to everyone on Bone smart. When things were getting hard to handle during recovery this site was suggested to me as the best place to find the answers that I needed help with. I did not find Bone smart until my third week of recovery and this is how I learned to say no. I was given the best advice here to take care of my new knee and be kind to myself and my knee . Not to let anyone push me past the point they had. I will always be thankful to all who have helped me.

This time around I am going into my surgery wiser, and more aware of what happened and should not have happened after surgery knowing before this surgery what to expect. Also knowing that whatever I need help and advice for I will find it here . Thanks Bonesmart friends for the kindness friendships and wonderful information I have had the pleasure of being a part of. I am going into my replacement surgery this time , with questions taken care of ahead of time thankful to have the chance to sort our medication ahead of time before going to the hospital. Feeling intimidated last time to do what pt expected as worried that if not my knee would be stuck forever and the threat on my second week to do more with flex by pt or other measures would have to be looked into more comfortable and having more time this time to talk to my surgeon and share my concerns with him.

My surgeon was upset to hear this had happened and now ready to make sure it does not happen again this time knowing to say no before it is too late and knee so swollen and pain. Relieved after talking to my surgeon he believes as taught on Bone smart. His ways are gentle movement, he is a patient man and happy to have my husband who supports me, my surgeon. fortunate to be part of such a great forum and the wonderful people who I can talk to here and get answers and support from here thanks so much . So very appreciated. Holly
 
My husband and I raced around how fast we got dressed, wrapping the gift in between
Just glad you were not the bride and groom, late to the wedding. Sounds like it turned out OK, and everyone was happy in the end.
Pleased to hear your OS is on board with the Bonesmart way, I am sure this recovery will be much smoother for you.
 
Glad your brother will be helping out.
 
Hi @Pumpkln Think this time around things with bend might be even better. My surgeon said that with all of the swelling my knee must have had a hard time bending so hoping it will be easier this time around. We are always early if we can be to whatever we need to be at usually too early. My brothers wedding and our wedding we always had a rehearsal the night before and as my nieces parents had just came home from a vacation we had not had a chance to talk before the wedding.

Everyone else going to the wedding managed not sure how I got so mixed up not forgetting the wedding just had the wrong date and other then the busy month for a reason could not believe I had made this boo boo. My husband just went with the date I thought it was assuming I had the right day and I did not. My nieces were just happy to see that we were alright as a few of the guests had called apologizing that they would not be able to attend they had the flu or something.

We were only maybe 10 minutes late and the time that my brother called they were at a small reception where people who were attending the wedding were gathering. The guests were taken by golf cart down onto the grassy area where the small ceremony was held and then after most had left waiting till the reception started so when we got there they were all starting to come back ready to have their supper and enjoy the festivities. My husband took both of our cameras with us and managed to get some really nice pictures. It was a nice day and their wedding was very personal and mostly family for guests. Holly
 
Hi @kneeper. My brother and I are very close . He said if we do not come for Christmas my nieces will be very disappointed and they were hoping we would be able to spend Christmas with their family. I think if I take my ice wrap with me and take it slow I will do just fine. My brother is very excited about my surgery he knows how long my knee has waited and says he is so happy that it is being taken care of. He is coming this weekend to see us and will come before he goes to work that day to take us to the hospital. We were planning on taking a taxi to the hospital as the time is so early not wanting anyone to have to get up and take us that early in the morning but he really wants to be part of it and so happy to have him with us.

My husband will have a long day that day as he is planning to stay with me till my supper time. He will stay with me till they need me to do things, he will be so tired but he wants to . So my brother said after he gets out of work he is coming to the hospital to visit with me and will then see if my husband is ready to go home and they will go together. He is asking if my husband would like to come home with him and have supper with my brother and my nieces and my sister in law my nieces are very fond of him. Hope you are doing fine and wishing you the best. Holly
 
He is going to ensure a more gentle approach and his focus is not on the flex this time but getting my knee healed and then taking it slower walking is his favorite choice for pt as he said it is the most nature form of exercize and if done properly with out going to the extreme he said it is the pt he is going to recommend for me along with the massages that I went to last time which were very good for my mental wellbeing to.

@lavender

I like your surgeon!
 
My right knee for some reason has been very sore over the past week thinking it might be the colder weather a little damp but very sore. Going to have a nice bath later and see if this helps. My doctor is hoping that I will not need to take Celebrex for much longer as he said it is not good for my blood pressure and my heart. I am wondering why the back of my right knee is so tender down the side of my leg into the back of my knee cap. It felt like this during my hospital stay for last surgery and making my leg ache and my foot swell at bit. Hoping that after my left knee surgery when things are healed that I can stop taking the Celebrex but for now thinking it is helping. Tried going off it for a few weeks early summer and both knees were unbearable. The specialist did not have any concerns about the Celebrex when I talked to him other then stomach ache possibility but my family doctor has expressed his concern this visit and the visit before. Not a good time to stop the Celebrex as with upcoming surgery thinking it will be something which will help with the swelling and pain but have to see what happens. he is willing to refill my prescription but seems to be hoping that after surgery we can cut it out his option to Celebrex is tylenol trust him but think not a good idea yet. Holly
 
Hi @Celle Yes I like him to. He is a very easy man to talk to . He has a good reputation , he takes time to listen and is concerned for his patients. My family doctor was very impressed with the care he showed during the surgeries my family doctor assisted with him. He told me he wished he was going to assist at my surgery to told him that would be so good. My family doctor usually assists another surgeon but so nice to see he is now assisting my surgeon just not going to be at my surgery .

Nice thing is that my doctor understands also what happens to patients during these surgeries and has a good idea what is involved in the recovery after knee surgery. He said I am brave , and that I have done well, not the easiest of surgeries to go through but telling me that anyone who goes through replacement is very strong. So much is involved , very major surgery and not everyone understands the complexity of it but he does. I am very lucky to have both of these doctors and feel like I am in very capable caring hands. Today now that I have had my visit to my doctor I will be filling in the forms that I will need to take to my pre-op appointments on Thursday and then again on Tuesday next week for the anesthesiologist . Two more Mondays now and then the time will be here and I am very ready to go . Holly
 
@lavender That must have been a hectic day!
Your TKR is getting closer and closer. I think your right knee is sore because it is taking care of the Left knee too much.
 
Hi @tiredwife That day was the strangest day felt so bad . I did not forget about the wedding but for some reason had it set in my mind it was in July not June . I read the invitation when it came and we then started to plan making sure we had something to wear all ready pressed if needed. We had their gift thought we bought it really early and kept it in a place where I would not forget about it as sometimes put things somewhere and then forget where. Never used to do these things but now keep a list a booklet beside me writing things down just in case.

We both thought we were prepared well enough ahead of time and being no one really talked about it not even thinking we could be wrong. The mistake was mine. My husband wrote the date on the calendar but I had the wrong month so much happened in June that year seemed to be running from one place to another so the choice to go to the show was a way of taking a little break as Saturday did not have any appointments.


We went to see the movie "Brave" a disney movie I fell asleep through this movie and then being tired went home. Now wishing we had stopped into my parents they would have asked why are you not at the wedding. My parents did not go they had so much going on my Moms knee had just been replaced that spring and my Dad just back from the home so they would have reminded us it we had stopped in .

Happy we did not go to the park as we would have missed the whole thing. Sometimes it seems that all you do is go to appointments and then when you do something nice too tired. I felt so bad never could have imagine I could have messed up this bad but all worked out nice, the time for the reception was where most of the guest were not all were at the wedding part some had other obligations so we were not the only ones that missed the wedding part. My niece had a video of their wedding made so we watched it not a long ceremony and so happy it all worked out. Holly
 
Holly,
Your TKR date is coming up fast, WOW, you have a busy two weeks ahead of you, then of course recovery. Your plan to follow the Bonesmart way sounds the best, ensuring your tender tissues have a chance to heal.
:elevate:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom