TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Holly @lavender

Have you had your Cortisone injection & x-Ray ?
Thinking of you and hope that you get your surgery date.

Love roses, but always found them hard to manage, you and Jackie @tiredwife must have green fingers !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@lavender Sadly around my pond and waterfall (small backyard type) some mint has turned into a wild thing and has taken over (thought I had it contained better), so this fall I will have the unpleasant task of getting rid of it. We are talking tons of it! There is a small photo of our pond before the mint ate it on the craft thread in the social area of this forum. We also have a fire pit in the back yard so we sit, when it is cool enough, and watch the fire and listen to the water. It is so relaxing.
 
@marmora Not really, most of mine are knock out roses and they are hard to kill! They are not the prettiest rose, but they seem to do okay in our nasty clay soil, and they bloom for a long time. My favorite roses are the little tea cup or miniature roses, but they are way too hard for me to grow. My dad loved roses and babied them and was so proud to bring my mom in bouquets of them. Now that he has passed mom maintains them, but they aren't near as pretty as when my dad was alive. My brother inherited my sister's house (he had been living with her and helping fix the place up for years), he has inherited my dad's green thumb and my sister's roses have never looked better.
 
Hi @lavender - sorry not to have popped by recently, I have been busy with house decorators and all sorts of stuff. I read your posts on Nana moon's thread - but have often just been whizzing through.

Anyway, this evening my husband was watching football (boring) and so I had a lovely catch up on your thread, reading your descriptions of the park, and the geese and the train and everything ........ absolutely super and a great end to my day. Just before I head to bed I thought I would just say another thank you, I find your posts really charming and relaxing.

We also have horrid heavy clay soil @tired wife. My Mum had London clay too and was always very successful with roses when I lived at home, so when this house was built and we started creating the garden we went to a rose nursery and carefully picked roses whose colours blended and smelled delish to run right across the end of the garden in front of a really old brick ivy covered wall - we thought it would look grand. Well they grew ..... a bit ... and did a couple of flowers each year, but neither my husband who is very good with plants, nor our gardeners could make them do anything worthwhile. After 14 years of looking at the stunted little things, we had them dug out, and the gardeners designed a new border of flowering shrubs there. In just a year those shrubs are HUGE. I don't know what it was those roses didn't like.

@lavender - I really hope that everything went well with your appointment today and that your cortisone shot will provide a bit of relief for you, so your walks in the park will be a little more comfortable.

Take care, Holly

XXX
 
@tired wife ................. I think the roses just hated me! My husband asked if I had touched them. I am so awful with plants that they die if I get anywhere near. Still my shrubs are beeoootiful - but sad I have nothing to put in a vase.
 
@dogwheels LOL What type shrubs? For something that smells good and that you can put in vases and is easy to grow - lilac bushes. Don't know why I don't have any, I love the smell.
 
Hi everyone and thankyou @marmora @dogwheels @tiredwife @ and @Pumpkln @madinana @Nana moon 27 wonderful people who have helped me on my way very appreciated. Hoping you are doing ok @Jozilla after your surgery thinking about you to. Well today was very busy my appointment for the surgeon was at 1 10 pm and after arriving at the hospital my husband suggested that because we were a bit early we could go to the hospital cafeteria which is really nice and have some lunch a great hamburger and a few home made chips. Then off to register for the x-rays . They said that my surgeon had requested quite a few of these and some of the poses that I had to do were tricky. The technician had me stand on a small stool and then try to bend my knees forward toward the screen he was very nice but I held on for all I could to keep from falling over. A few more like this and then he had me bend differently I told him that the limited bend in my right leg was making it hard while my left bent a bit more must have looked funny the way I had to bend but after a few more laying on the bed it was all over.

They were really nice and then on the way out I met a friend of ours met through my husbands sister and she is a nurse at our hospital. it always seems that when we are in the hospital she is either or having some looked at she fell off a curb a few years ago and broke her ankle never healed and has just had her knee replaced as well. Really nice to see her and then off to my appointment down to the 1st floor to see my surgeon. He was trying to take my mind off the cortisone shot and tried to talk about my favorite food he kept saying thing of your favorite food

. He wanted to distract me from what he was going to do and this time the shot really hurt. He suggested thinking abut a large juicy steak but I decided to think about my husband and our park. Told him that one of my my favorite food before becoming diabetic had sugar so I was secretly trying not to think about food. I do not remember feeling anything on my firsts time around but understood why he was trying to relax me. He kept saying he was sorry I never looked at what he was doing he kept me very busy talking but he was very kind. I stayed as brave as I could but actually so relieved when he was done.

Did not expect this one to hurt but it is all over now first one felt like just a needle. Well it is all over and after he was finished it did not really hurt anymore then off to see the x-rays and he showed me and explained that all of the cartilage was completely gone. Appreciated that I had waited since before my last surgery for cortisone and had not realized up to that point that my knee should maybe had ha cortisone when the other one did. he recommended that I stay a little quieter for a few days as the cortisone works better this way so thinking tomorrow we might go for breakfast and then take the walker to the park just to the picnic table need to feel the fresh air see our beautiful friends and relax.

He did not mention when but as I was leaving I mentioned I will be looking forward to their phone call and he smiled well another step done met up with the nurse that is taking care of making sure my iron level is good. Reminded her that she would see my name soon for a surgery date and she is keeping in touch. Thanks for all of your kind posts and so nice to have people who care and happy to call you my friends . Thanks so much Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone We left our home this morning just before 9 am and my husband had a doctors appointment just after nine. The doctor and the hospital are about 14 minutes away from each other so being that the park is half way between we decided to see how long we could spend in the park without going home as we live across the other side of our city and did not want to have to drive home the 20 minute drive. Did not think it would work as this was over 3 hours before my appointment

Sitting on the bench in our park we decided that after we had fed our friends we should go to the other bench a little sunnier but did not plan to stay there for too long. It was really nice because along the brick path behind us we noticed our friend of almost 40 years Betty was walking along on her walker we called over and she joined us. We talked for quite a while so many things. We should have been in the shade but we were happy to see each other and just lost track of the sun I have a little burn and even with my hat on I still got a burn but really enjoyed it anyway being together. We must have talked for almost two hours and never imagined the time would go by this fast.

It was now after eleven o'clock and time worked out great she and my husband and I walked back down the path still talking and back to our car. She moved to the apartment a building behind the building beside the park and offered her a ride but she said she was so close she was alright to walk. Betty is 84 still looks as nice as she did when we first met her Scottish decent and a very kind lovely woman. After saying bye for now we were off to the hospital. I must say that although it hurt it is not sore now and looking forward to the comfort that having my other shot brought. Less uncomfortable for a little while then when I had my right knee needle. This was actually a great day and now just waiting for a surgery date. Over a month of the waiting time now has passed so a little closer Holly
 
Now that my appointment is over would like to thank you all again. Just visited your craft thread @dogwheels and such a lot of talent I love doing handiwork stuff and will have to check your thread out again more often such a nice idea for a thread where we can share in the lovely work and talents of our friends. I have visited quite a few time but noticing how many more things have been posted so much beautiful work and talented people.

@dogwheels your decoupage is beautiful and takes so much thoughtful care to make them so lovely. How did the decorating go hope the paint smell is not bothering you and am sure that it all looks fresh and wonderful. @ tiredwife checking your post noticing your pond and I am sure it is really nice looks like well made and also love your cake. It would be wonderful for a child and sure it was really enjoyed. I used to love baking never managed cake decorating but had a few good friends that love to decorate cakes and sold them . Your cake is beautiful and the giraffe and his friends are very professional looking. We can't eat baked goods that much now but loved when we could.

My Dad used to plant roses remembering watching him dig a hole and he always filled it with water waited for it to soak in and then planted the rose. He loved trees as I do so much and remember the care that he showed to making them stand straight and many are still standing in their yard now huge and beautiful. I am not so successful with houseplants my Mom can grow anything and her plants live forever she used to grow all species of orchids It was so hard for my Mom when her green house had to be taken down when it started to deteriorate past being repairable but so over 35 years of growing amazing things rare and unusual in it it was her pride a joy it was my Dad dream to give her a greenhouse and he built it from scratch using hand tools ran the width of their house and the sound of her soft music and her singing made it wonderful to see her enjoying it we love to see this and it hard to see her without it.

We always grew plants on our balconies in our apartments but when we moved into our town house we were determined to grow things in the ground. The soil when we moved in had never seemed to have been gardened clay and hard areas Some of our neighbors told us with the lack of full sun all day we might find it hard to grow some things. We were the first to dig and plant this type of garden even so. Moved some patio stones out and started to buy peat moss and manure and soil. It seems over the years that there is so much more soil was placed in this garden more out there then we started with. Neither my husband or I had ever gardened this way so thought why not try.

We did not know how to get it started then but we worked at it and now we actually have people come by and remark that they enjoy our as they call it natural garden no sprays not even much fertilizer but it seems to like where it is and grows really full and pretty. It is planted with peonies, roses, hostas, a deutzia bush, little princess spirea and so much more. Did not think we could garden but actually the plants do a lot on their own and with a bit of water and love for them somehow it all works out.hopefully unless you get some type of insect that likes to munch on its flowers like the Asian beetles we have off and on. I am sure that you all have lovely yards and many enjoy seeing what you have planted.

My family had a pond that my Dad built when I younger it was home to our Koi fish and how big they would grow tiny baby toads we watched from tadpoles and then one day as the hungry Racoons or what ever ate them they were gone. must have been starving for food and found this as a way to keep alive. Little boy next door was trying to find a way past our fence into our yard see them my parents were afraid he might fall in so the pond was no more. I love the smell and lovely look of lilacs to so beautiful. Off to bed now ready for tomorrow and wishing everyone a restful calm sleep. It was so nice to have had time with all of you tonight and thanks again. Holly
 
Hello Holly @lavender

Lovely to read your account of your day in the park, your garden and successful cortisone injection & doctor's appointment.

Hoping that you won't have long to wait for your date for your LTKR !

Continue your happy way of looking at life, your positive attitude is uplifting.

Wishing you & your husband a happy day in your park this week.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @lavender - I am so glad that your hospital appointment went well, but sorry the cortisone injection was painful this time.
I loved reading about your gardening and the pond and everything - particularly the bit about the raccoons. They look so cute in cartoons, but I guess they are a bit of a pest? I have a family of foxes that use our garden as their private recreational area - again they look so handsome and its lovely to see the Mum and Dad bring the little cubs into the garden to play when they are tiny, but they can be a bit of a nuisance and regularly scratch up our lawn, and they are SO noisy at night especially in mating season.
@tired wife - I do have some lilacs in the garden - I love them too. They are not the full blown lilacs, but a miniature variety and very pretty - I am just sorry that the flowers do not last too long. Quite spooky you mentioning lilacs as I managed to find a very authentic Lilac perfume and I am wearing it today - love that smell, it reminds me of our garden when I was a little girl. I also love Lily of the Valley and Honeysuckle. Mmmmm .....

Thank you for your kind comments about my craft @lavender - it's my thing and I enjoy doing it, but its even nicer when somebody else likes it too! I used to do a lot of Cross stitch - particularly when my daughter was little - I cross-stitched Ballet bags and Shoe bags ........ all sorts of things. I then did Hardanger Embroidery which was time consuming and very close work, but I loved the results. Once I started wearing glasses I found that too much close work gave me migraines, so I sort of stopped doing it and moved onto to other crafts. Still have so many cross stitch books though.

I am really glad the decorating is finished - it was only a few rooms we had done, but the ones that see the most use. The weather has been nice so we have had all the windows and doors open and the paint smell is almost gone. Today we are going to buy some storage for my husbands study, I will move items back onto window sills now the paint has hardened and all will be back to normal again.

Enjoy your days everybody

XXX
 
Hi everyone today is looking a bit like fall mornings and night time it is dark a little longer and even so the windows are open and the air feeling nice and fresh. A few days last week and this week we have had a little more humid weather sun was beautiful but this summer has on the most park not felt damp. Hi @marmora and thank you for your kind wishes and happy you visit you have a nice outlook on life and @dogwheels and @tiredwife thanks for sharing you days to I know that in personal life we would all get along really well. I feel so much enjoyment in sharing with all of you.

I think it would be neat to see the little foxes @dogwheels so amazing how animals teach their little ones how to care for themselves and find their food and so many things they would need to know to survive. I love the smell and color of lilac as well . Honeysuckle and lily of the valley and lavender as well. I find the only brand of bath products that I can use that is for sensitive skin is made by a company called The healing garden and it is all natural love the rose, lavender especially, green tea, and plum.

We were sitting one night just before bed and noticed a raccoon crossing past the fence on the front of our home. Following this fellow was three little babies, and then probably their mom. I like raccoons they have cute faces and beautiful tails and so cute. We try to make sure that our garbage is covered do not put out any food before garbage day as they are really smart and can open the lids they are hungry so if they are tempted they will do what they need to survive. We have a family of chipmunks living under our front stairs and you can see them once and a while wandering through the garden and over the grass we love them.

Valentines day my husband bought me earrings the year of my surgery and I really wanted to wear them lost one in the snow and searched for it not thinking I would find it as it looked like little piece of crystal on a little teardrop shape. I must have caught them in my collar and when we sat in our car noticed it was gone kept looking for it but keep imagining the little chipmunks finding it and taking it to the under the stairs home and using as their chandelier

My surgeon told me not to panic if my sugar readings went up over the new little while as this would be expected after the injection happy he told me before hand as this morning they are more then twice the level . I am happy to know why would have been wondering why. Getting an early start and happy to wake up to a knee that is not sore. Taking it a little slower but still going for a bit of a walk even if we just sit a wee bit down. I think it will make things so much easier before surgery and probably give my right knee a break to she has been working hard to take care of both knees for a while. Wishing all a wonderful day and thanks for your posts love receiving and reading them all Holly
 
@lavender We often have raccoons in our yard, we feed a stray cat and they often come on our porch to eat the food the cat leaves. One huge raccoon is tailless. They and sometimes water snakes get in our pond and eat the fish, toads and frogs. We always have lots of toads and some frogs. Koi are too expensive to be raccoon food so we just buy regular gold fish each year (what they call feeder fish for peoples pets that eat fish). This year we still have at least 7 big ones. 6 orange and 1 white. I can see the pond out our bedroom window.
Glad you got your shot over with, the less cartilage the more they hurt because it is harder to get the needle in. My husband has had lots of them.

@dogwheels We had lilac in the yard growing up and a pussy willow bush. Love the smell of lilac and my mom use to have this cachet that was lily of the valley that smelled great. Most perfumes set my asthma off, but that cachet never bothered me.
 
Hi @tiredwife Your pond sounds really nice. I wondered why this shot was so different and what you said makes sense. After seeing my x-ray and noticing the space being so tiny wondered if that might be why too. So little space and must be hard to have the cortisone flow that is what it felt like trying to find enough room to inject and no where for it to go. This should be the last time I will need to have a cortisone shot in this knee thank goodness but it will be well worth it if it works sure it will. Hoping this will be the only one I will need as my surgery should be within just over 4 months at the longest wait. Our brother in law had knee issues to many shots and with other issues with his health that were happening the decision to do surgery was not an option. He died after a very long battle with cancer and did not have the chance to have a replacement. Your husband is brave to have had more of these shots. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lavender Holly he has had injections in both knees, cortisone and synvex. Both shoulders, cortisone. One elbow, cortisone. One thumb, cortisone. Both heals, cortisone. He says the heals are the worse. Sorry about your brother in law!
 
@lavender so sorry about your brother. If it makes you feel better every time I got a cortisone shot and synvex they hurt really really bad I break out with a cold sweat, before my surgery I refused to get another one I have gotten them in my hips and knees
 
Hi Oh I have been very fortunate only one shot is each knee. After the first cortisone shot my surgeon decided that the cortisone would only delay what he knew he would have to eventually do. My first knee was very painful not as creaky unstable but mostly very painful before the choice for surgery. The decision was which to do first was my choice he said left knee was very creaky so I decided to do the most painful one. Looking at my e-rays it almost looks like my knee bones are closer even still than the last time in July.

@tiredwife your husband is very brave to have had so many cortisone shots it must have been very painful for him and hoping that he is managing with all that he has been through . Two surgeries that close together lots to handle. Great he has you there to help him along the way. @madinana You are also brave not expecting the pain that felt with the shot not aware that this would be so painful this time around and happy it is over not feeling too much discomfort there now still creaky but my surgeon said it would take little time just thankful that this may make it easier to get around until surgery.

Hi @marmora. how are you doing and hoping that you have a great day. Is you knee feeling better and hoping that you are not having discomfort with it such a long process this recovery seems to be. My husbands sister was in a very bad car accident 20 years ago. She was in a car coming back from a function at their church and the minister was driving them home. She was thrown thru the windshield something happened with her seat belt and ended up with a scar running down her eyebrow quite long she almost died. She then had some brain issues damage. It was the year after her 24 year old son was killed in a car crash while coming home from work one night he was diabetic and something went wrong hat night with his blood sugar and he they think passed out in the car. Head on crash with a truck.

My husbands sisters husband our brother in law was amazing and they stayed close all through his diagnosis of cancer which was treated in the states, waiting list was long here, and they helped to purchase a MRI machine through charity donations for our hospital through organizations and donations collected he could now stay in Canada for some of the treatments for his other health issues which developed through this time. My Dad was the first as he was told to use this machine and now after seeing the picture at our hospital of a man going to have a MRI which is hanging in the lobby by the surgeons clinic is a picture of my Dad.

Our brother in law and my husbands sister died two months apart the summer and fall of the year before my Dad died they had both fought a battle for many years knew about his sister and so many things she could no longer do the same terrible immobilizing headaches and his need to keep her safe he pushed his own away till the medical evaluations came in so many . He was some one that I loved like a brother he was so kind managed a grocery store for some many years and his friendships were apparent at his funeral so many people he knew everyone and such a shock to loose them so quick they raised three kids and such a loving family

My Dad died the following spring after very brave battle so many things happened at the end and he died after one having been in the hospital once when growing up and he died at the end of heart failure kidney failure, diabetic complications and the last everything shut down. So many people that left all at once and my Dad left us two week before my surgery his love of life all of his family and his unbelievable strength to have handled this was my thought during recovery and surgery to try to get along with doing my best and making him proud.

Today my husband loaded my Dads walker into our car and we went to feed the geese not as far missed the walk we usually do but went down the path to the first picnic table along the river got ready with our bread and until we were getting ready to go the ducks and seagulls were the only ones there along with a few squirrels. Then above us we head the geese ready to land and had save a bit of bread for them to. I think having the shot has made me a bit more nervous about surgery but still anxious to have it just the same. Thanks for you wonderful posts Holly
 
@lavender The worse part was that some of the shots he went through and didn't get any relief. Glad you got to enjoy your park today.
 
Hi Holly @lavender ... thought I would pop in and visit your thread. I would like to thank you for your beautifully descriptive glimpses into your life. Your posts are so warm and inviting to everyone who reads them. I do hope you get a surgery date soon. I am glad that you are getting a bit of a reprieve from the pain after the cortisone injection. It's funny - I never did have either my GP or the OS recommend a cortisone injection at all over the years I have been suffering with my knees. I did have one GP (not my regular) recommend a cortisone injection in my right Achilles for the severe Achilles Tendinosis I have, but as I already knew that a cortisone injection in the Achilles is not recommended as it can potentially lead to a rupture, I refused.

I hope you continue to enjoy your park and the antics of the local wildlife. Take Care ... Ellen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom