TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband received a call from his specialist last night. This man is wonderful he is the reason my husband is still alive and keeps a close ey on his tests. How many doctors now take this interest probably lots. But how many times can you talk directly to the doctor or surgeon at night when the office is closed and usually an answering machine is your only way of communicating. I have thanked him many times on his visits and expressed how thankful I am he is in good hands. He says it is his pleasure that things are getting more stable he is thereiif we need him. He does not have someone call for him he calls like the doctor that delivered me so many years ago and made housecalls.

Questions can be answered medications can be altered and just cares. Wish when the refill time came along you could talk to your surgeon over the phone and explain the situation rather then a secretary. My surgeon does however phone his own refills in if you explain the need to him he did this for me at all hospital visits on his own. Know he cares and think talking directly to them would bring more understanding. Know they ae very busy and this request may seem off the wall but the specialist is also busy attended my surgery and took care of my medications must put in very long days but still there. when needed. Holly
 
Yup, some of us have knees that detest PT. Sounds like a wonderful ortho.
 
@maryo52 you make excellent points. I swear all my improvements in ROM come on the weekend when I'm away from PT. Coincidence? Perhaps not...
 
Rom was considered good at hospital and that is why the surgeon sent me home early along with the worry of infection . Pain controlled and personal well being pretty good until pt and then the feelings of frusrtation appeared. Not this next time promise myself this.
 
Hello Holly, I finally landed on your thread and just spent some time reading up on your recovery. I just read your post about pain and blue eyes. My anesthesiologist for my first knee had a very nice conversation with me prior to surgery and told me that because I was a red head (fair, freckled and blue-eyed too), and left-handed that the way I tolerate pain is a bit different than others. He said that pain medication for most is like a bell curve, where it takes a while to kick in and it also takes a while to wear off. With me, he said that the sides of the bell curve are different in that it takes much longer for pain meds to kick in and when they wear off, it is also quicker. I never knew that before but it really explained why for my whole life I would take pain medication (even Tylenol) and it would take so dang long to kick in! :scratch:

I am sorry you had having problems with getting what you need for your pain. I hope you are feeling a bit better, your appointment with the surgeon for your other knee is in less than a week now! :yay:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Second Time Around Nice to receive your post. Very interesting have never heard about this before the article but we have some things in common. I am also fair , I have blue eyes and left handed as well. Very seldom till last spring when I had my replacement did I ever need any medication other then tylenol or asprin before that . Even when I had my surgery my niece told me after she heard that the medication they prescribed for pain was oxycotin think that is what it was and boy she said that will almost knock you off your feet. It did not wondered why when I took it seemed like it was not working. I felt as other people have said like I was taking sugar pills no relief. Interesting to hear that your anesthesiologist explained this to you think that is wonderful they took time to do this and that they understand. Did they give you any suggestions on how to handle the pain after surgery. I am having my appointment to make plans for my second surgery and hoping he can give some help on alternative medications to help. Thanks so much for your reply so many things do effect the way we all manage with things but who would ever have guessed that the colour of our hair eyes or any other things that make us cause these . So many things they are discovering every day answers why some of us have issues with pain medications and some manage without the same pain levels. How are you doing. I noticed you had your surgery on June 17 and hoping they are helping you get through without any pain . Best wishes Hope to hear from you again Holly
 
Four days till I see the surgeon about my left knee. Made out the list of my medications to be ready and not sure what changes since last surgery but know some have been added and some changed. One step ready. Up until now my left has been mainly sore and very creaky but over the past while it is starting to act even more like my right did. Feels now like I am going to fall off of the bottom part top and bottom no longer feel joined. Remember that feeling with my right and hoping he can arrange surgery soon. How much right has improved walking and hoping my left can do the same. Llooking forward to appointment and getting things started maybe both ok by next spring. Am I crazy to want it done. Think it is a good idea. Holly
 
Two more days and appointment on the third day. My knee is telling me it has waited long enough. Three months since one year appointment and hoping it is almost time.
 
Glad you appointment is coming up soon. I will be looking forward to what your OS says, and how soon your surgery will be scheduled. You sound like you are ready to have your LTKR ASAP.
 
Hi @Pumpkln I am very anxious to get things going. Feeling like I am walking on a stilt and worried about falling off. Holly
 
Today I went to the doctor visit with my husband he asked if I would come in with him and so I did. Our family doctor is wonderful very pleased to see my husband as most of his visits are with specialists. Results came out great and his tests came out much better. I thanked the doctor for all of his help and said that I did not know where my husband would be if he had not referred him to these specialists who have helped keep him stable and he smiled he is very very modest would not say it is all about him but it is and so thankful he care so much. He asked about me and told him thanks for the referral he is very pleased to see that my knee is being looked after and knows that it will help. He assists another OS during these knee surgeries told him I wish he could be at mine.

Always tell my husband that our doctor has some nice pictures of his little boys on the wall along with his diplomas and stuff. My husband never gets into the same room that I do and this was the first day he saw them. He commented that the pictures were beautifully taken and then our doctor told us they were expecting their third child possibly as they were told a little girl. My husband asked if maybe I would like to make him a Raggedy Ann for her and think that would be a nice idea. One more day and then hoping for good news. Now having to remember to take my list and medication with me and being he said the timing was up to my doctor and me know I am getting closer can't believe it has been 3 months since my last visit. Holly
 
One more day tomorrow is almost here. !0 oclock appointment hope I have a few minutes with him to talk. Last time a little boy poor little guy with a broken arm and trying to decide who to take first but then again he did sit and talk with me and my husband said that when I told him I was walking through the park he thought I was ok. Did forget to tell him that walks were with the support of my husbands arm and dthat so many stops at the bench. Feeling positive he will take care of it. Holly
 
Good luck tomorrow Holly. I will look forward to hearing what your OS says! JoAnne
 
Hi JoAnne (@Jozilla) Thanks for your kind post and your support. Going to see my surgeon in just over an hour from now. Have my pills ready to show him and my list. I am hoping for good news and staying firm on wanting this surgery done. Nice man very caring and know he will take care of me. Just half an hour to go and then leaving for his office. Crossing my fingers for an early date. Holly
 
Hi Linda ( @Second Time Around )Hope you are doing well and thanks for your kind support Just getting anxious for the news from my surgeon. Hoping to get a date for surgery soon and knowing I cannot leave this knee too much longer. I will write when I find out and let yoou know how it went. On my way in less then an hour and hoping to get things going. Holly
 
Hi Todays visit with my surgeon went great. I had the chance to ask so many of the things that wished I could have before surgery last time. My surgeon asked how much my left leg has limited my movement getting around and how long I could walk without needing to sit decided less then 15 minutes. He took a good look at my xrays and I explained that I have been walking in our park he remembered that from my last visit and I said that the walking was with my husbands assistance. He thought it was nice that we walked that way together and suggested it was nice to be close some people just like walking arm in arm. My husband explained that although walking arm in arm was something we like he walked that way with me to keep me from falling over.

My surgeon said that he knew that I had had a rough time during my last recovery and that he would ensure that this time recovery would be much gentler no pushing. He also mentioned when talking about pt and stuff that it might be good to get a hold of the massage guy that helped so much last time as he noticed that the massages did so much for helping me along and that would be a good idea to talk and set up some sort of plan no pt.

I told him that I was pleased with my new knee and that after my surgery last year everything seemed to be going ok till pt at home started he was very concerned when I told him that pt at one week had suggested either I manage a higher flex on my own or susrgeon would force a bend he was shocked.

I mentioned that I wondered if their was an alternate form of pain medication as the last medication did not work he mentioned that my first medication was oxycontin think that was it and that they usually like to prescribe stronger stuff at first . Last week of medication he prescirbed hydromorphone an asked if it worked better think it did but not long enough to tell. I also mentioned that with the restrictions on the amount of these pills allowed that I was trying to keep from using too many so I would not run out and he said he would not want this to happen. His outlook is the same as bonesmart mantras. Told me when I said that I just started my refill and then almost needed to call for more sort of made you feel like a person who is addicted.

He told me that not to worry this time about that keep ahead of the pain never let it get ahead of me just like bonesmart. I think he has a plan this next surgery for better pain management and feel very comfortable talking to him. He said that he will make sure that the pain medication refill requests are not left and does not want me to go on rationing them told him that kept looking at the bottle and deciding how to not have to ask for more very uncomfortable calling in. Told him that I wondered why so many met the flex requirements and progressed along with flex increasing and why was it so hard to get mine to bend. He said we are all different . I was also told that flex will not be the emphasis this time getting me walking which is my primary excersize this next time is his main concern. Now we both understand that the flex I was being push for would never be what they were pushing for . So many questions answered had time to ask and he had time to ask me his.

Went for a blood test today to get the process started she said do this as soon as possible. My surgeon scheduled me for another xray and a cortisone shot first week of September to help for the waiting time till surgery.

My surgeons waiting list is longer then some of the other surgeons and I may have to wait till after Christmas time for the surgery but it will be well worth it he is regarded as one of the very best. Remember the last time blood test was two weeks before surgery and needed to boost my iron level so thinking if they are getting this started now maybe they are expecting a shorter wait time then said and since the last wait time was 5 months know this time will go fast. Now to buy a bath bench and leg lifter and then all set to go.

Wonderful news today a wonderful surgeon who believes in the gentle approach and lots of ice like bonesmart and on the list to have my left knee done. He is a truly caring man and know my husband will take good care of things I will be in good hands. Feeling great and one more thing done. Holly
 
Awesome Holly! I hope you will be recovering with me in September. It will be here before we know it and we are both ready! JoAnne
 
Holly, this IS good news! :yes!:
It sounds like your OS had his eyes opened a bit once you told him all about your PT and that is a good thing too. You are so much more ahead of the game this time around with BoneSmart and everything you have learned about how you recover and what to expect and look for. Fingers crossed for a surgery date sooner than later for you. When I saw my OS about my knee and its deterioration, he had me scheduled for first surgery opening that was only 3 weeks away from when I saw him. You never know! Here's hoping you get a date that fits you. :flwrysmile:

Linda
 
@lavender, It's wonderful that for this surgery and recovery there'll be a whole [Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom