TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Wondering if someone could change my thread title to " Left knee can't wait any longer " thanks very much not wish to wait for left knee so this is a better title thanks again Holly
 
@lavender
Sorry about your fall. Have you considered using a cane until your surgery ? I'm sure
You will feel more confident getting around :) I bought an elevation wedge on Amazon
For $ 12.00 Look in the medical supply section. It came in very handy, for nose above
Toes:elevate: Any special plans with your husband before your Surgery ?
Thinking of You :friends:
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
:egypdance::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:HI @Diana I should be using my cane in the park but until a bit ago managed ok without it. I think I will have to use it again now it is in our car and probably would help. Just found before stopped I kept leaving it places grocery carts benches and worried I would loose it. Thanks for the suggestion about amazon for a wedge. I am going to look today and see what I can find .
Did you just find a wedge for legs not sure what to look for. How have you been doing. Hope you are enjoying the summer. This is the first summer that we were awake for. For 10 working over nights we seemed to sleep through most of it so really nice to have the beautiful sun. :SUNsmile:

Yesterday we went to see the movie "Tammy" we were not sure what it would be like but it was half price Tuesday so we thought we would give it a try. Enjoyed it had a ok story and like the actors. Not sure when he will do surgery think he might not make me wait too long hoping soon. We like swimming and going to the park and have always loved going to the movies. Found a great way to get passes for the show. We used to purchase passes at our job for movie and popcorn but now buy passes collecting our airmiles so most are free. I think I remember reading that you live in Boston. Loved going there one year on a trip to Cape Cod and loved Quincy Market and the Vanderbuilt Mansion. Wishing you a wonderful week and nice to hear from you Holly
 
Hi Wondering if someone could change my thread title to " Left knee can't wait any longer " thanks very much not wish to wait for left knee so this is a better title thanks again Holly
All done for you Holly!
 
:)Hi @Jaycey Thanks very much for changing my thread title very appreciated. Wishing you a great day:yes!: Holly
 
:curtsey::happydance:A little while ago I wrote asking if anyone had found bath accessories that made things easier. A great suggestion was made that a shower spray handle thing would work and what a great suggestion it was really helped not as much mess and easier to use. We found the one we bought at our Rexall store reasonable cost and love it the one that I bought is made by Aquasense and it is great. Notice that the last few days it won't shut off with the shutoff valve thing and water was coming out below it very hard so thought I would call them see if they could suggest something or maybe send me another valve. Thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I was so pleased they are really nice and they back up their products very courteous. I asked if there was something I could do on my own to stop the leak and mentioned that I really like this shower spray.

He asked for my address and phone number thinking he would send a replacement part he explained that he was sending a complete unit. Free of charge their guarantee on some products is lifetime this one said 2 years I think threw out box after first few weeks figuried it was doing ok so would not need it. He did not ask for anything but where to send it.

I am looking to buy a bath seat the one that I used last time was a transfer bench and it worked perfectly. This experience will send me back their way and purchase their brand with confidence. How nice to see that companies like this still honour what they sell. Guess it is better to take a chance and ask and how nice it makes you feel that some places still care about the people who buy their stuff. Good service goes a really long way. One very satisfied customer. :egypdance::egypdance::egypdance: Beautiful day only had a few raindrops and the sun is out again. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it too bad that such great service is the exception? And like you said, this good treatment will make you likely to deal with them again. That's one of the reasons I often go to my neighborhood hardware store rather than the big box places.
 
I agree sometimes you wonder if businesses really understand that every customer lost multiplies by the amount of people that customer tells and the loss of their business as well. I originally left a message on their site last night they said they want feedback. Received an email as well today from the manager asking me to call them he wanted to make sure the problem was taken care of. Told him not often this type of care was given and thanked him. Holly
 
Sleeping last night when returning from the bathroom realized that for the first time in such a long time crawler back into bed and bent my leg.:yes!: It really bend a bit more the tight stuck elastic feeling seems to be going away a bit more and it is letting me move the way it did so many years ago. Last measurement was just over 90 degrees but now it will let me place it under the chair like it was really trying to get itself back to feeling like it did before the damage started. I did not think about it when it happened but then laying there looked and it was bent Right leg is starting to feel like my own and now hoping to get the left leg on its way to being itself again. Simple little pleasures wondered if anymore improvement would happen but it is happening now. The numbness is even sarting to feel a bit more not so much like the rubber feeling of before. Each day or week a little easier. :spin: :loveshwr:Holly
 
Hi @Jozilla Wishing you a calm painfree recovery time for your next surgery. Know you mentioned it will be in September has your surgeon set a date for your surgery day. Hoping your knee is not giving you any pain . I remember you mentioned having a cortisone shot for pain has this helped hope so. I only had a cortisone shot once and when I went back after its effects started to wear off hoping he would give me another needle this time for both knees he recommended replacement so no more cortisone . Hoping they give you a proper pain medication to help and know you will do great. Holly
 
Today we returned home to find a parcel on our front porch. It had been delivered by Federal express and couldn't believe after opening it that it contained a brand new Aquasense shower spray. I called the company on Wednesday just to ask not sure if they would do anything but they did It arrived at our door in two days. They honour their promise of quality service and have made a dedicated customer out of me. Makes you feel nice that there are still places that care how their customers are treated and stand by what they sell. When I started to use insulin the insulin pen I was using stopped working one night . My husband was having the same problem and as a result we each missed our dose. I found a number on line and called the number 10 oclock at night and all pharmacies closed so called and explained our problem.

Visited the pharmacy the next morning they did not have a pen to give us and ordered one but nothing for the next night so we worked on both pens after more then an hour of playing around and knowing we needed it we managed to get one pen to work. Monday morning a phone call and the person at the place that manufactures the pen said she was sorry. Gave us some trouble shooting help and what to do when this happens. Tuesday morning two pens arrived at our door also from by courier so maybe there are more companies that still care out there then we usually think now adays. Follow up calls received from manufacturer management hoping we were ok they had been received and assuring us they would be there if needed. Faith restored people still do care and sometimes just have to ask very happy to have had this experience wonderful company caring staff.
My husband and I both worked retail for 38 years always told to make decisions to keep people happy within reasonable limits . Always encouraged to try to keep a customer from leaving our store unhappy. Great manager at that time who kept us aware that a lost customer is a loss that can never been gained back. So many times over the past years this idea of service seems to have gone in some businesses. So nice to see that the old fashioned way of care still exists in some places.

Medical supplies mobility aids are quite expensive .H ave to give a second thought sometimes before making a purchase the expense of some of these but no risk buying from this one. Makes you feel kind of nice. Have a wonderful day. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:curtsey:Very interesting last night when we were watching tv a show called How it is made came on. One section of the show was dedicated to showing how joint replacement parts were made . One replacement section showed how knee relacement parts were made and the care taken in their production very interesting. My husband and I watched . Told him that this was the way my new knee was put together . So very interesting to watch. They showed the way the molds to form the parts were made and the care taken to ensure that all parts were made so not to cause any defects that would interfere with the durability when used in surgery. All parts were tested to perform for at least 10 years not sure how long ago this was filmed and things have probably come even further since this was made but so amazing. I have seen pictures here on bonesmart of what the parts look like and did not realize that each knee has its own identity. I guess like serial numbers to identify each individual knee part thought this was what they were saying. My husband was interested watching and I told him that was how my knee was put back together. Modern medicine how much it has improved the lives of so many of those of us who are fortunate enough to be part of the magic of renewed movement.

Movement that we thought may have been lost forever and amazing that these surgeries can be performed in this day and age when generations before us would have ended up in wheelchairs. So much pain during recovery but how wonderful that minds cared enough to dare to try to help people suffering from mobility and quality of life gain that was at one time lost. And how wonderful that a place like bonesmart was there to help us through it all after the surgery was done. Holly:loveshwr::)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That show had to be so interesting. I have watched it before but have never seen the knee replacement one! Hope it is repeated at some time. Thanks for asking about my knee. The cortisone did not help me this time. I was at the park with my one year old grandson today for three hours. The tkr knee was great but my other knee was killing me as well as my hip on that side. I won't have a date until 4-6 weeks as my OS uses a custom system that has to be made and it takes that long! I am not looking forward to the long recovery but know when I don't have pain it will be great! I am glad I will have you to recover with!
 
Hi @Jozilla. Very interestng to see how they make the replacement parts. Just about to turn the channel that night as we thought we had seen it before. Happy we didn't. They also showed how replacements for hip surgery were made interesting. I am sorry to hear that your cortisone shot did not give you relief. Hope they do not make you wait too long for your surgery my right replaced knee feels so much more stable left is very creaky and sore. Hoping your days of pain in that knee do not last too much longer. Does your surgeon have a different way of doing knee surgery is that why the wait does he use custom made knees. Looking forward to having two good knees again and having you to share the recovery time with to. Have a great weekend and crossing my fingers that your wait and mine will not take too long. Holly
 
Hi Holly. Yes my surgeon uses the Trumatch Depuy custom system that uses a fixed Genesis knee. I have been seeing him for years and had no idea what he used until my first replacement. I have a ct scan this Tuesday and then it takes 4-6 weeks for it to be made. I will have a matching set. I just hope it works out as good as the first. I could definitely feel how great my tkr knee felt yesterday at the town park. It was a gorgeous day so I really enjoyed it. Lots of people, ducks, swans, geese and dogs! I love how you describe your park and know you will have many happy days there! Xoxo
 
Hi Today was calling for rain and hoped we could get to our park before it started so we went. Managed to have a nice visit with the geese and ducks and the sea gulls to. So many geese now and more sea gulls hard to get the bread ready when they all arrive so we have started to try and get it ready ahead of time. We are usually surrounded and the feeling of their soft feathers brushing against your legs as they come up close to eats feels nice .

They are hungry some days more feeding then others cute to see the tiny kids sharing their bread to some are not much different in size then the geese and most seem to be excited to be part of it all.
The tiniest of the geese we were worried about has grown still some yellow feathers on her head but she made it and even though she started out so much tinier then the others when we first saw her she survived. They seem to understand I think they do and even when the feeding is finished some even come to sit around us falling to sleep almost like they like to be talked to.

It looked like it might start raining. We moved from our most favourite bench along the water under the tree that is so nice on a hot day to the bench in the middle closer to our car. I looked back to the bench that we had just left maybe and saw something tall standing along the water almost looked like a person but much much thinner. Realized that it was a herron. So big and beautiful have never seen one out of the water so much taller then I thought.

My husband went back to the car for our camera and as he was leaving the heron started to fly wide wide wingspan and such a long body big blueish .
I wish we could have taken a picture as he passed me so graceful he flew and landed down farther in the area where the water is very shallow rocky and then out of sight. I looked him up in our nature field guide Great Blue Herron a gift that we would have missed we had not been there. Family things have me trying to find things that make me think missing my Dad and loss of closeness with my Mom. I guess each day has some kind of gift if we just look close. Holly
 
Hi @Jozilla Nice to have a park to spend time in no swans at ours but each time we see something different. The year we bought our car 2011 we went to see the tree that my Gram had planted for my Gramp when he died tall oak has grown strong and her name is on the plaque with his it is their tree. My husband took a picture of a bird perched upon a wooden bench on that side of the river and noticed he was alone. He looked bigger then a regular bird think he is a hawk. Wonder if the large hawk that still lives in the park is the baby grown so big.

You are well on your way if your surgeon is using a custom made knee for your surgery then that would account for the wait but neat to hear he has told you the type of replacement he uses. Not sure what type my surgeon uses what type of knee I was given maybe asking him next visit would be nice to know at my visit in just over a week. Great that your knee was feeling so good for your walk and makes it so much easier how much move stability the knee surgery gives us. Hoping to be on the list after my appointment know he realizes it needs to be done and know I am now feeling much stronger and ready to have two strong knees. Wish you a wonderful week. Holly:egypdance:
 
Hi hope you are having a great morning and a nice day. Just watching the news and listening to the report on eye colour. How do they come up with this stuff but who know maybe it is true. They were telling us that a new study has determined that the colour of your eyes determines how much your your tolerance is to pain. The study says that people who have darker coloured eyes have a lower tolerance then blue eyes or lighter eye colours. I have blue eyes and during this surgery stuff had a lot of pain at the first part and wondering how those with brown eyes could be dealing with the pain could it be worse because of eye colour.

Feeling sorry for those who participated in this study and why give anyone pain if they do not have to. Maybe it is true if so I guess might be actually true but my husband has brown eyes not too often I have pain in normal life but asking him how do you handle it never complains. Who knows but so many studies and how do they do it. Holly:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Took a little break today and went to the movies. Still like Disney movies always have and so today we went to see "Planes fire and rescue" cute well made not too many people tiny kids and so cute. No shooting or blood and just cute. Today at the movies it is half price Tuesday . Waiting till next Tuesday movie starring Diane Keaton and Micheal Douglas looks funny hoping it comes to our movie Theatre. Very hot today so now sitting inside air conditioner feels good 30 celcius . One of the things I will miss going to the movies when I go for next knee replacement but think it will be just for a little while. Holly
 
Remembering back to one of the appointments I had with the surgeon on my first knee replacement. It was at the eight week mark and worried about what he would suggest he had said at 8 weeks he would tell me what he was going to do. I had been threatenend during my first week 85 degrees at home that if I couldn't push to 90 or higher doctor would probably force it. Wondering at that time what hisnews would be and thinking his idea was to do a force bend.
Remembering that he was very patient that day talked quiet and slow and said. Well there are a few options he said he could put me to sleep for a few minutes and then bend my knee he als advised that this does not always work sometimes more issues pop up I do not think he does manipulations and if so not often.

His next suggestion was that my poor knee as he called it needed a break. He explained that the surgery is complicated and it has been through a lot. Suggestion leave it to do its thing give it time to rest and walk walk only walk. No more pt he said he would even call the hospital for lme to explain to that new pt. No more pt he said go baack to living no more lpushing and sometimes he said your knee will surprise you. Usually left alone it will calm down and results will work out great. Very impressed that day he understands.

Must be frustrating on their part to . Surgeons perform surgery and have patients best interest in mind and then off to a torture session undoing some of the good he put into making it work out . I remember his other suggestion making me feel like I was floating not walking his to do list included that I could go back to doing what I missed so much driving.

What a wonderful man wondering what he will say this visit but trusting he will take care of me. I know they were pleased with my bend when leaving the hospital I had no idea what the bend was expected till the pt crashed in. Next surgery knowing as he promised me no more pushing and hoping for a smooth less stressful and only participating in calm pt if any recovery. Less then a week till appointment and anxious. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom