TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi@kar It is nice to hear that you are also making felt stockings and how much the people you are making them for will enjoy having them. I also really enjoy doing cross-stitch love making mostly lavender and lace and Mirabilia patterns especially angels and fairies and gold collection kits as well. Hoping this helps pass the time during your recovery Holly:kittykiss:
 
Today was my doctors appointment keeping an eye on my sugar readings he was considering changing my pills around a bit but the appointment turned into a heart to heart talk. Mom thinks she had a stroke the other night and although she does not have the same doctor as we do the staff at the clinic that my doctor works from also help with her doctor. My doctors assistant came in to take my blood pressure and after looking at me asked if I was alright said I do not look myself. I broke down and explained that my Mom is showing signs of things like memory and has a lot of moments when she is very dizzy no one has told her why. I explained that she is complaining of a sore arm and headaches and the signs that I have learned are the signs of stroke. She has a defibrilated heart valves think that is what they are called and since my Dad died has lost all confidence in medical care blames them for my Dads death and is refusing to seek help afraid that she will be once again taken from their home and maybe never come back. I am her power of attorney as she explained the other week and share it with my older brother have assured her that I will not let anyone hurt her and will protect her as much as possible. I see her everyday she is just so alone the kind of alone that even a full room of people can't fill she has us five kids popping in and checking on her making sure that she has what she needs and telling her she is so loved she just seems to have given up talks about dying and the whole thing is really taking a toll on the health issues both of us my husband and I are having. I went to see her after my appointment and asked if she would like to go on a little ride with us had to pick up a few packages of beads that I had ordered and she really wanted took her for a little lunch on the way back just called her to make sure she is ok how would I handle loosing her to. Time with her while I can have it and my husband is so supportive he is so gentle with her makes sure she gets up and down curbs and walks with her and I both. Today my doctor said that he will leave my medications the same for now the option for insulin is being left he said the results of the testing are influenced by the stress we have been having and I am so lucky to have a family doctor as wonderful as he is . I apologized for being weepy and he told me that he was always there if I needed him he understands how much has happened and the nurse that did my blood pressure was close to my parents said she missed him to she said he was so patient never complained and this was the first time that she was told just what has led up to the months befor his death. I am so lucky my doctor is very kind feel that he really cares and whatever news he has to give is always done with compassion and after all left his office feeling like a thousand pound weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Returned the favour and had a long talk with my Mom telling her how much it would hurt if she was not part of our lives talked about her knitting and how she needs to lighten up on herself and others. Told her to give herself a break and not to push herself so hard and told her the best reward she could give my Dad is to try to show him that he left her safe built her a good strong home that he would be content to see her managing her struggling would worry him and live each day as he would like to see her doing the little things that she enjoys shining his brass and enjoying the soft chimes and gentle ticking of the beautiful clocks he built and just remembering how much she was loved by him and how much by all of us. Holly:)
 
Oh Holly, what an emotional and stressful time. I am glad you have that wonderful family doctor. I hope your mother will take to heart your love of her and your support. Sending positive thoughts and hugs :console2::console2: to you and your mother -painful times for you both. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
lavender Prayers :angel: for you and your family. Hang in there. I can see you are going through a very difficult time. I hope things get easier for all of you very quickly.:flwrysmile:
 
Good to hear your doctor is so supportive. I like what you said to your mom about ways to remember your dad.
 
Hi everyone and thanks for your kind words leejaa crystals5 kneeper . My Mom had an appointment today that had been arranged last week by her family doctor. He has a nurse make house calls for him and she has been around a few times over the past 6 months she helped with my Dad when he was at home and tried to stop him leaving home. Today she spent a lot longer with my Mom took her temperature and she has one and just had a good look at her medications and made sure that she was taking them and said that she could help with the breathing my Mom is supposed to make sure that she uses her inhaler she asked why she didn't and she said she thought she would see how it worked if she tried to go without it. The nurse brought along an assistant who made arrangements to have a new inhaler delivered to my Mom and the nurse practitioner asked if she would be willing to have someone look at her and see how her dizziness could be helped she is afraid that she will be leaving her home for good when they suggest medical tests so she decided to wait on the tests. I think that my family doctor or the nurse that is working in their office might have discussed the situation with her doctor just maybe letting him know what is happening with her as this visit has resulted in the nurse starting to make visits to her every other week and relaying her findings directly to my Moms doctor. Hoping that just maybe the talk I had with my doctor has helped now she will be getting the attention medically that she needs in her home and she won't just let it go and hurt herself this way. I am always telling my doctor how much it meant to my husband and I when we were given his name by my brother who was referred to him when their family doctor died . My husband and i had been without a doctor for 5 years my family doctor left for another city and the shortage of doctors at this time left us using after hours clinics. I thanked my doctor yesterday and told him how much the care he had given my husband and I has meant how it changed our lives and how the health conditions that my husband had and almost died from before he came in to our lives the reason was finally discovered. He said it was his pleasure and said yesterday when I asked if people cry ever with him and he said if his walls could only talk reassured me it was normal and that my plate was full and on overload don't worry. How lucky we are to have his care. Oh I forgot to say that the Raggedy Anne stocking that I was working on is now finished really cute she is hugging a teddy bear which is made like a real teddy bear now back to my cross-stitching getting excited. :friends:Wishing you all a wonderful weekend and thanks again so very much Holly
 
How wonderful that your Mom will be checked up on more often. You should post a picture of those dolls on here so we could all enjoy them too. Have a wonderful week end. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Hi leejaa I will try to post them when they are finished still not sure how to post a picture how do I do this they are still waiting for their clothes have to get them dressed they look a little like they are saying have you forgot to dress us look a little cold. Went out for breakfast today and the weather in our city was pretty clear the highway to our restaurant was quite icy today and the weather changed to a white out a little uncomfortable driving but managed to get home safetly. Today when stopping at the stop light going in to the little town we love to go to for breakfast our car started to jump and really scared me afraid we would hit the car ahead of us. It was explained to me when talking to an older gentleman that stopped by our booth and stated he wished that the floor would move and take him on a belt to his table . We laughed and I explained that I had brought my cane in with me today very slippery and he said his was in his car. I asked if he had found the roads slippery and he said yes we agreed that so many people on the roads were driving pretty carefully but he had some that were moving very fast. I told him that the way the car was stopping today made me worry if the brakes were starting to get worn our car is only just over two years old and he explained the reason they were jumping is because of the anti lock system felt weird but he assured me they were to keep us from sliding and keep us safe. The ride home was a bit scarey and now the ice in our city has started to melt and the sun is beautiful. Hoping you are safe and having a very nice weekend. Holly
 
It has been fairly nice so far here in NE USA but today it did snow a bit and of course wind so coming from grocery shopping there were a couple of icy spots but not really bad - definitely not like what you described.

I do not mind winter but I do mind the shorter daylight hours. Cannot wait till the end of Dec when the days start getting longer again.

Not doing much of anything, just usual chores of grocery shopping and laundry before the work week starts again. Just watched the Dr.Who simulcast - my husband got me into Dr. Who and am now hooked. Good stories and really people oriented so it is right up my alley.

I hope the sun comes out for you:SUNsmile: and the roads de ice for tomorrow Have a great rest of the week end. Lee :flwrysmile:
 
Hi and hope you are having a wonderful week. The weather here has been beautiful temperature going from minus 4 celcius up to 8 plus. Visited with my Mom today after going for breakfast at our favourite place and had a nice visit then she asked if we would go out with her for lunch we didn't want to disappoint her so we went and had a Tim Hortons sandwich and then took her home. So much easier for her since the nurse is starting to visit her more now at home. My visit with my doctor I told him she thought she had a stroke and she wouldn't go to the hospital so her doctor arranged for in home visits to check her blood pressure and other readings and this has made her feel so much more like herself. Trying to make sure she gets out and that her keep her from being alone too much. She really enjoys going to a little country market family ran and belongs to a family that she that used to be at our farmers market. The husband was a little boy when my Mom was small as well that lived down the street from her . She loves to pick out her own food they have someone who bakes pies and stuff for them and this is a treat she looks forward to on Fridays. My left leg has been qute sore lately think it is probably due to the cold weather but waiting to talk to my surgeon in the spring and figure out how to handle it. When my great aunt Maggie died so many years ago she asked that her pocket watch be given to my Dad.The other day my Mom handed me a velvet case is was very old beautiful and in it was a silver engraved ladies pocket watch probably close to a hundred years old. My Mom told me that she had promised that if he ever died he wanted it to be given to me.

I can't believe how pretty it is and the lady that it belonged to was so gentle never married made us all quilt tops to be her inheritance to us from her they are 50 years old so beautiful so much care taken in placing the tiny pieces together over the past years I have quilted 4 of them all with the memories of a lovely kind lady who spoke softly and will be remembered my Dads Mom my Gramma also sewed these quilts they did them together 5 for each of us kids. I realize so much how protective my Dad was of me in his quiet but strong way. How much he loved all of us and even painted my room pink when I was little and know pink was not his favourite colour but he did it for me. My Mom says when she gets lonely for Dad she just looks at the five of us their kids and sees little parts of him in each of us. What a wonderful thing to be part of such a wonderful man and to love my Mom so much .Wishing the very best to all Holly :) :friends:
 
I think it is very tough to take care of one's mom. I cared for my dad for five years (Alzheimer's) and then cared for my mother, at first in her home, then my home, then assisted living, for twenty years. Moving towards the end of life decisions are never easy and it sounds like you, and your mom, are in a good place right now. I'll hold you both in my good thoughts. It's 70 and sunny here now, so I will take my little walk in honor of the two of you.
 
Hi tek'smom it is really nice that you had taken so much thoughtful time with your parents before they died. I am so lucky to have a very supportive husband he is really caring of my Mom and makes sure that the both of us are safe walking he makes her feel very cared for and he always asks her if she needs any help. My Mom and I have been able to have more time over the past few years always made sure they saw us and helped where we could but since my job loss I have found that the time is so precious. I used to work a night shift in retail it was a little more difficult to get as many visits in during the week without a car and so thankful now things were as I was told meant for a reason. Had time quality time with my Dad before he died and thankful to have had a chance to spend as much time as we did it was so important to him and my family and I. I love to be with my Mom and husband we have time to talk share our feeling and make her feel so much like she is not alone she has us. My Mom does really well she has had both knees replaced the first after a severe break in the bone below her knee and now she has been diagnosed with defects with the valves in her heart. Try to make sure that she is comfortable and visit or phone each day. Starting to see her smile and regain pleasure in the things that she has always enjoyed doing. The memories that we share you and I of the moments with our parents are something that no one will every replace. Wishing you the best and happiness and treasure the memories of the people we love. Holly
 
I am happy for you that you have extra free time now to spend with your Mother. My mother was quite ill for 2yrs before passing and it was difficult to balance work and her and home. After she passed, my husband and I looked at each other and could not figure out how we did it - then we realized our house was in a mess.

Enjoy your time, it is precious to have. Have a lovely day tomorrow. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Hi leejaa My Mom and Dad were both really healthy the only thing that my Dad was hospitalized for in my life was when they discovered he had diabetis started to shut down the hospital didn't know he was diabetic and this was when they found out he almost died. My Mom was also healthy and other then giving birth to my brothers and I only stayed once in the hospital for a hernia. Two years ago this Fall she broke her leg their lives went from healthy and safe to a nightmare it just kept going one thing started after another. She was placed in a hospital for rehab for 3 months outside our city. The Spring before my husband was in the hospital and this when we decided to buy a car no more waiting for buses . It was a blessing for within the next three months we needed this car to get back and forth from place to place with my Mom and Dad and husband . We worked at night then spent till mid afternoon going to see Mom making sure to take my Dad with us. My husband should have had this time for sleep but he agreed with me that this was how we had to do things important. It was taking a toll on the way we felt and we also ended up looking around our home not much time to be there and things got really behind. My husbands brother died the the fall before the stuff with my husband and parents became sick and left him a little money we used what he left to help buy a car and how much his thoughtfullness has meant to us. I could never have managed to see my Dad the way we could and neither could my Mom. We had decided to go with out a car managed walked a lot and looking back how could we have done the things we needed to do with them without it. I thank his brother every day for his help and although the loss of our long term jobs was scarey wonder now how we could have had the precious time everyday with Dad before he died now have time to see and help my Mom and my husbands health has improved since the closing of our store. My leg would never have had the chance to have the surgery taking time off for this would have been hard and the type of job I did would now be very difficult as it was heavy and fast paced. Your husband and you meant a lot to your Mom and the caring you gave her very important too. Bless you for doing this for her and thanks so much for all of your kind words. Wishing the very best for you Holly
 
Holly, it is always surprising how things turn out. I often think if you just try to do the best you can the rest will work out and the universe will respond. Reading your story and your time with your mother makes me remember mine and at the same time miss her but in a good way - a warm memory.

Take care. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @leeja I agree with the way you feel. Just do the best you can take time while you can and cherish your memories. I went to take my Mom for a blood test today and noticed that she had a wreath on their front door. She had made it a few years ago out of garland and it had a tartan bow pretty and yesterday she made the fruit cake she has made for her whole married life it is a dark cake filled with fruit and is so good. Today after her time with us she was going to bake it. I have talked to her she doesn't want to do anything for Christmas and I understand but today she mentioned she was wondering if my brother was going to have Christmas at their home in the country she wondered if he would be asking her and I told her he asked in October really wanted her to come. She is excited even offered to make one of the jellied salads the waldorf one and I will make the orange pinapple one with carrots and whipped cream oh so good. She has hung up the pinecone wreath the we took a class to make the year my husband and I got married andi t is something that she and I enjoyed doing together. The Christmas cake is such a good sign a family tradition for over 60 years and to see her so excited so much a treasure. The time that you shared with your Mom meant the world to both of you and the memories you have of those times help to keep you strong. Wishing you a wonderful week leeja. Holly:friends:
 
Thank you. Lee
 
Hi So happy to say I have just finished the rest of my little family of Christmas Raggedy Ann Dolls. Everybody has their hair now and their clothes are all made they are now dressed sitting in a row on our love seat really look cute and excited to wrap them up for Christmas. Made 5 one each for my nieces and then one for my Mom to. My Mom and my husband and I went out shopping for her prescriptions last week and I said that I wanted to go to our nearby fabric store and look around and see if they had any cottons on sale. My Mom helped me pick out some cottons and asked if she could contribute to their dresses so she helped pick out a few for me and so fortunate picked a great time they had all of their tiny prints on sale for a good price. At the checkouts my Mom asked if she could pay for them she wanted to be part of the gift purchase and really happy they were going to her grandchildren so we shared it. My Mom will be surprised on Christmas morning she has has a large 36 inch Raggedy Ann I made for her back when I was in high school and she loves her so she is going be very pleased to see her new gift a 20 inch Raggedy Anne made with material she kept looking at and tiny print navy background so pretty. :friends: They are all looking very pleased and such happy little faces. Little panties and aprons made of white cotton with white rickrack and knitted little socks made of material my Dad encouraged me to buy many years ago told me take what they have left you might need more one day. The little socks are made of a polyester knit and just perfect for them. Try to post a picture my husband took of them just not able to make my photo gallery work on the computer to re size the photo. Will post if can resolve the problem and wishing a merry Christmas and Happy holiday celebrations to all. Holly
 
lavender - wow you have been so busy with your craft projects - the dolls sound wonderful - especially the one for your mom :yay: I have been very slow getting ready for Christmas after my adhesion surgery 2½ weeks ago - I totally exhausted myself yesterday just making a batch of chocolate chip cookies!

My 15 year old daughter is making me a crochet blanket which I am really looking forward to as she is working so hard on it
 
Hi puffin It is so nice to hear from you how are you doing. How did your adhesion surgery go hope things start to get easier for you have handled this so well but not fun. The Raggedy Ann dolls I made are sitting on our love seat waiting to be wrapped. My husband found a few little boxes and asked if they would work for the wrapping the are perfect just need to find need a few more. Your daughters blanket sounds beautiful so much tiny work so many stitches she will be so pleased to see your expression when it is done a gift of love. Today we started to put up our Christmas tree and tonight we will decorate it time is creeping up quick don't want to rush at the end. Tomorrow start to do our wrapping and then on Saturday my husband is celebrating his 59th birthday. Have to make sure his gifts are ready .He will be surprised I wanted to buy wrapping paper sometimes he has his gift wrapped in Christmas paper but this year trying to miss the crowds so the only paper I could find was of Disney cars sure he will love it. Hoping to fit in a few Christmas movies after the tree is decorated. Wishing you the very best hoping that you have a very Merry Christmas and all of the very best for a Happy New Year Holly:bells: :ereindeer:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom