Bilateral TKR LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've probably strained all sorts of soft tissue in the buckling process, so that some things are too painful to do. That doesn't mean your knee is broken, just hurting for now. It's only days since surgery, you are very, very fragile. It will get better.
 
Oh dear :(. I can't imagine feeling that happen this early in recovery. Fingers crossed it resolves itself very quickly for you, and there is no damage done.
 
Will be thinking of you. Please take care!
 
I merged your two threads together---The forum rules are only one recovery thread---that way, we can keep track of your progress and issues much easier---two or three threads makes the members jump back and forth to see how you are doing and to offer both advice and encouragement.

I would not worry much about the wobbly knees---my knees were both pretty wobbly for a while after my BTKR, Your muscles right now are somewhat weak and it will take some time to strengthen them and to gain the muscle memory, too.

I am sure that you did no damage to the implant at all---those are really tough and the glue is very strong. I would just ice the area and take it easy. I would say that these wobbly knees are quite common, and many of us had something similar happen to us.
 
Agree. My right knee buckled a few times after I returned home, but as my legs strengthened, it stopped. I didn't have much pain with it though so it's good that you're getting it checked.
 
Thanks for merging me, @referee54. It was late and I'd had little sleep and was in a lot of pain.

I'm getting morphine now....that's MUCH better!

As for the knee, it wasn't a wobble - it shifted suddenly and quite violently inwards toward my left knee by a good 5-6 inches. Afterwards I couldn't put any weight on it at all - it was like a piece of cooked spaghetti. Right now the pain is under control thanks to the morphine. The post-op calf pain that's been bothering me from the beginning is still there although much reduced. I'm trying to stretch them as much as possible while I've got the heavy duty drugs on board.
 
Laura, you will obv have the knee checked, but pls don't worry until you have to, if you have to. I know that's easy to say, but Tim and I and Wednesday and others have been there, too.

Also, please don't do things when taking painkillers that you wouldn't be able to do without because of pain. It doesn't help and may compound the damage to the soft tissues.
 
I would not do much stretching or exercising right now---just ice and rest and elevation, and let that tissue heal. Take it easy and let the tissue around the knee joint knit and relax.

I will, though, tag @Josephine so she can take a look at what happened and give you her sage wisdom and advice.
 
Dear Laura Leigh, I will pray for you and will keep sending warm and happy thoughts your way. I wish there were more I could do for you. Please know we all think of you and wishing you well. Hugs!!!!
 
Thanks for all your good wishes. At this point I'm still in the hospital and they're resubmitting the request a for rehab now that I'm worse.

My Percocet-induces hives are still itching like crazy despite multiple Benadryl shots. I'm getting morphine shots now too - way better than the Percocet!

Looks like they are going to re-admit me for the night. Unfortunately it's now been almost 12 hours since I went to the bathroom and all this began...which means I'm about to learn the art of peeing into a bedpan. Oh goody.
 
Hang in there, @LauraLeigh - Some day this will be a distant memory. I hope your knee buckle was not serious and that you can get your rash and itching, as well as your pain, under control. Dealing with knee issues is bad enough; the skin problems are just adding insult to injury. But, just think of the new skills you'll be learning. Sending good thoughts your way...
 
I've been re-admitted to the hospital for the time being. The nice PT guy came in to do an evaluation and managed to get me up on my feet for a couple minutes.

Haven't seen the OS yet; he will be in tomorrow. I may be sent for an MRI so they can check for possible damage. In the meantime, I'm back to where I was Thursday - catheterized, not getting up on my own, and limited mobility. And now with the added joy of hives! They're giving me morphine for the pain, Benadryl and calamine for the itching. Just a tough day
 
Let us know how things go after the MRI. We're all pulling for you.
 
Sorry LauraLeigh for all the difficulty you're experiencing. I will keep thinking about you and praying for you. I pray that those who are taking care of you are caring and competent and that you will soon feel comfortable and get stronger. Hugs!
 
Update: surgeon just came and checked me out. He said I don't appear to have done any damage so no MRI. I will be getting the catheter out today (they put one back in yesterday) and back to using a bedside commode for a while. Yay?!

They've had me on Benadryl and morphine since yesterday and I've had two doses of steroids for the hives. He's taking me off morphine and putting me back on Dilaudid to see if that will work for my pain.

Next step is if I can get to the bathroom by myself for one whole day, I'll be allowed to take a shower. That will be the best shower in the history of the universe!!!


Thank you all for the support and good wishes...hopefully I'm over the hump now.
 
Good, good, good! I wish that shower could wash away all your troubles and hope that you're feeling much better soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom