Bilateral TKR LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a bell to ring for assistance? Small notepad and paper to jot down notes and add to your to-do list. I have carabeeners hooked to my wire basket. I have not used them yet but see a lot of possibilities.
 
@poptarts, my phone takes the place of a bell - I can text my husband at the other end of the house if I need him. Same things for notes - I use my iPhone or iPad for anything like that as well as for staying in touch with people, reading books, listening to music or watching movies.

The one thing I left off of that list is the light sweater I also keep in there - I was wearing it at the time. It's a seriously BIG basket!
 
Dear @LauraLeigh - I got a kick out of your basket of supplies. Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse, I see. Whatever more you need at this point, that wonderful husband of yours will be able to scrounge up, I'm sure.

BTW: are you sure it's heat rash? I had a major skin rash eruption right after surgery, followed by a hives outbreak when I got home. I had been given so many meds in the hospital, that it wasn't clear what might be causing these skin problems. By process of elimination, my allergy PA suspected the oxycodone, which she urged me to discontinue and begin prednisone with my OS's approval. That cleared up the problem quickly, which was great because the hives were marching down my thighs and toward my incisions. Hopefully, you aren't having a similar reaction, but just sending this to you FYI. Also, while I didn't like taking all the additional OTC allergy meds, the Benadryl really knocked me out and provided me with some much needed sleep. Stay cool!
 
Dear @LauraLeigh - Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse, I see.

ROFL - I was thinking the exact same thing! As I was posting that list I thought, "if Rick Grimes showed up at my door right now, I'd just need to add a couple of weapons & I'd be ready to roll."

Re: hives - honestly, I'm not sure. But the rash seems to run from mid-back to the backs of my knees and from my chest to my groin, all areas that are in constant contact with the bed or under clothing/covers all day. The cortisone cream seems to give a little relief for awhile then I'll suddenly wake up itching and scratching like crazy. If I were at home, I'd try stripping off and sleeping with nothing on for a while to see if that would help. Can't do that here as people blithely knock once and walk on in - yet another complaint I'll be making to management.

A friend pointed out the one thing I was missing (aside from firepower or a cricket bat): a long-handled back scratcher. I found just the thing on Amazon so it's on the way!
 
My rash started late at night on surgery day high on the chest under each collar bone with a curved line of itchiness connecting the two spots. The nurse in charge and two nurse aides told me that they didn't see anything, but said that one of the alleged spots was near the site of the epidural connector. I think that's what they said - I was on drugs at the time(!). However, hubby says that when he visited me after recovery that first afternoon, my rear end -- immodestly revealed to all the world by my open gown -- was a bright pink. The next day, the itchiness spread over my shoulders, down both arms, down my back, over my rear, and down my thighs. Like you, the rash seemed to stop there and was not on my lower legs. I even suspected the paper protective mat on the bed, although my front was affected as well. Fearing such a possibility, I had brought some prescription ointment which my allergy PA had previously recommended, but the hospital staff was extremely reluctant to use/apply anything, which they had not themselves prescribed. My favorite nurse's aide applied this ointment to my back, rear, and thighs on the last evening, which provided some relief. As she did it, she said, "Shhh!" like we were two conspirators. After discharge, I contacted my OS, PCP, and allergy PA about the initial problem and when the hives suddenly appeared, got off the oxy and onto the prednisone and OTC allergy meds, and applied the ointment (sparingly as recommended) to my itchy areas. The hives started fading from bright pink to beige almost immediately, and I was finally able to concentrate on my knees, which were feeling somewhat neglected.

Say hello to Rick for me. You are ready to roll.
 
I am 9 wks out of a TNR left, with right scheduled in September. I came straight home after my left and after reading your stories about rehab....even with the humorous touches...I will do everything in my power to come home again. I admire your patience. I would have exploded ...if my husband didn't first.

I can only share with you that when you get home it will be like heaven!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@EmptyHands, I didn't realize that Percocet and oxycodone were he same thing. It could very well be the culprit but I hope not since that's the only pain med that helps me. I've been on it exclusively since Wednesday, I think.

I finally get to see a doctor tomorrow so I will certainly bring that up!
 
YOWSA!!!!

I was just getting up from the toilet which I've done many times before when my right knee buckles inward suddenly. That was a whole new level of pain! It didn't hurt the incision but my leg feels twisted from below the knee to the calf. Now I'm afraid to try getting up again! Obviously I'm going to have to, but I believe I'll sit here for a few more minutes before I give it a shot...
 
I cannot take oxycodone so my OS gave me Demerol. It seems to work well so far.
 
I was just getting up from the toilet same as always when my right knee suddenly buckled inward toward my left knee - yikes!!! It hurt in a whole new way. I sat there for a few minutes to get my courage back up, tried again...same thing. I had to pull the emergency cord and it took 3 people to get me back to bed by transferring me from toilet seat to walker seat to bed.

Now I'm lying here, praying that I won't need to pee again anytime soon. They're talking about sending me back to the hospital tonight. I'm hoping to wait at least until morning but that might not be possible. I was doing so good, too! I really thought I was going to take a shower Monday morning all by myself and get out of here by Tuesday. Obviously that's not going to happen!

So - anyone ever have this happen? What does it take to fix it?
 
Sorry to read you knee buckled sideways, hope you start feeling better soon. You will know more when the OS gets a chance to take a look. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
OOPS! I don't know the answer, but I would think an X-Ray is required to know if there is anything wrong.

What I DO suspect is that you are imagining the worst, but try to resist the temptation, because it does no good.

It's still very early, and we get all sorts of things happening as it all settles down and tightened up. So good luck!
 
Thanks, @pumpkin. I'm headed back to the hospital in a few minutes. I really had myself convinced that I'd be going home by Tuesday or Wednesday. Wrong again!

Well, at least I know I wasn't doing anything foolish. I was just doing exactly what I'd done many times over the past few days without a problem and I've been extremely careful to make sure my walker was braced and I had a good grip before I transferred by weight. I guess stuff just happens sometimes...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Safe trip to the hospital, hope this is nothing but a little blip in your recovery.
 
My knees were very wibbly-wobbly for some weeks after. My GUESS is that it was because the bone spurs preventing ROM had been removed during surgery, and the supporting ligaments and tendons weren't used to this. I had to do everything very carefully for ages.

I very much doubt there's anything actually wrong with the BTKR and as Tykey suggests it's a question of adaptation and strengthening.

I had to do everything very slowly and carefully, especially when standing up. This was doubly hard as it hurt. You may have to take a similar approach.

But the first thing I'd do is to stop worrying, the odds are so much against anything being really wrong.
 
Well, I can still wiggle my toes easily and move my ankle side to side. Ankle pumps and circles are a little too much right now but I definitely still have mobility. Surely that's a good sign. If I wasn't able to move my foot I'd be a LOT more worried! The pain isn't unbearable - not great, for sure but I'm not in tears so that's another plus.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom