Bilateral TKR LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to read this update. My quads today feel like I have had them in a vise! When I try to walk my knee feels like it will hyperextend some times. Glad to know I am not alone in that!
 
@msmechanic58, my quads have been very tight too. One day my physical therapist massaged them - OUCH!!! It hurt quite a bit while she was working on them but they've definitely felt better since then. I use a small handheld massager on them sometimes too. My right IT band is the worst though - I've had problems with it for years. Again, massage seems to help: my therapist uses a foam roller on it periodically. I yell a lot while she's doing it but it does ease the pain afterwards! My left one is right but not nearly as bad as the right. Often I can't sleep on my right side because of it; it just hurts too much.

We just went to the movies for the 1st time since my surgery (we saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - very good!). I tried to move my legs about as much as possible but was still pretty stiff when I stood up. The stiffness wore off pretty quickly though. I did take a hydrocodone afterwards but it was only my second one of the day so that's good news.
 
Your two months into this, were you sleepy all the time? I find I am just so tired! Do you think the massage is helpful? My sister is a massage therapist and wanted to give my legs a massage, and then light therapy on my knees. It is so wonderfull to be able to see your progress and follow you! I promise I am not a stalker, but just a learker!
 
You're doing great! The muscle strength will come gradually.
 
@Lu.winslow, when I first came home from the hospital I slept a lot. Once I was able to get up and around, I was able to stay awake all day without too much trouble but all I did was read or watch movies. Now that I'm active every day, some days I am quite sleepy and take naps. The last two Fridays I was pretty worn out and read or napped all day.

I definitely feel massage is helpful but obviously they need to be VERY careful around your incision(s)! My
Physical therapist massaged my quads about a week ago and it hurt a lot but I could feel the knots as she worked on them and they felt better afterwards. She massages my IT bands with a foam roller and that hurts a lot too but again I feel better after.

Don't worry about lurking - that's perfectly normal on this forum! :-)
 
Hi Laura,
Sounds like we have the same issues. I am so tight through my IT Band and glutes and have a heck of a time keeping my calves from tightening up. Massage is wonderful and I have it done once a week to keep things a bit loose.
How is your recovery going otherwise?
 
@71Beetle - my recovery's been going quite well. We measured my ROM last week at PT and I was at 130 on the left and 126 on the right (my right knee was bad for a lot longer than my left so I'm not surprised). I've been doing water aerobics twice a week and I really think that's helped a lot with my mobility. I still keep my cane with me but really only use it if I get tired. I have just two more PT sessions but the therapist said that I can come back and use the equipment for free any time I'd like. It's only a few minutes from my house so I might just take her up on that. I plan to try getting back to yoga next week...modified of course! I haven't actually tried getting up from the floor but I don't think it will be a problem as I'm naturally quite flexible. Next week I'll also increase my work hours from 4 hours two days a week up to 6 hours 3 days a week. I'll do that for a month and see how I feel. Luckily my boss has been very understanding about my recovery!
 
I'm curious: did anyone else get a "knee replacement patient i.d. card"? It came in the packet of information about the DePuy joint and looks like this:
[Bonesmart.org] LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

I think the idea is to show it to the TSA agents if your knee sets off the metal detector at the airport. I doubt they'd look at it but I am curious if anyone has used it at an airport.
 
Hi Laura Leigh,
Wow, your ROM is amazing! I am 105 on the knee I had on May 5th and 95 on the knee I had on July 3rd! I know we are not supposed to compare with others but I can't help but wonder what I am doing wrong. I go to PT twice a week and do the exercises at home 2-3 times a day.

I will be able to start swimming next Wednesday if my scabs (hate that word) are gone. Are you able to swim laps or did you stick to aerobic pool exercises? I can't wait to get back into yoga. My goal is to get my yoga instructor certification. I did yoga for a year before being sidelined by my arthritis. I modified as much as I could but eventually became so frustrated that I stopped it all together. I am going to do some videos before going back to the yoga centre though so I build my strength and flexibility back up. This will be once I get my ROM up to a level that I can get up and down from the floor. :)

My plan is to go back to work on Monday and work from 10 - 2 for the first week then try to do 8:30 - 2 for the next two weeks and go full time after Labour Day. Hopefully I can manage it. I will be sure to not go out to client visits and to focus on desk work. I went back to work part time in between my surgeries and did fine. I just made sure I walked around every 30-60 minutes and I was okay.

I have never seen the knee replacement ID card above. I guess I should ask my OS if I should expect to get something to speed things up when I go through security at the airport.

Happy to hear that things are going well with you. Good luck with your transition into work.
 
The TSA has no interest at all in those cards---apparently they are easy to reproduce. You just tell them that you have fake knees and if there is a scanner, you go through that. If not, you will be hand searched.
 
@71Beetle - my recovery's been going quite well. We measured my ROM last week at PT and I was at 130 on the left and 126 on the right (my right knee was bad for a lot longer than my left so I'm not surprised). I've been doing water aerobics twice a week and I really think that's helped a lot with my mobility. I still keep my cane with me but really only use it if I get tired. I have just two more PT sessions but the therapist said that I can come back and use the equipment for free any time I'd like. It's only a few minutes from my house so I might just take her up on that. I plan to try getting back to yoga next week...modified of course! I haven't actually tried getting up from the floor but I don't think it will be a problem as I'm naturally quite flexible. Next week I'll also increase my work hours from 4 hours two days a week up to 6 hours 3 days a week. I'll do that for a month and see how I feel. Luckily my boss has been very understanding about my recovery!
Yoga is the only reason I can get up from the floor. I use downward dog to walk myself up. :)
 
I had one with a picture of my xray for the first knee but they didn't bother with the 2nd knee, likely for the reason skigirl says.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom