Bilateral TKR LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we just discovered a new problem: the hospital only gave us one of the plugs for the ice machines so I only have one working right now. The room I was in has already been cleaned so there's no telling where that plug went. I'll have to call in the morning and see if they can supply one somehow. I'm sure I payed a lot of money for these and I darn sure want to use them!
 
Work on that step. You'll be happier home.
 
Unfortunately, you are having some of the same difficulties I had in the place I was at. You would think these places have never had joint replacement patients or overweight ones and yet they are glad to take the ins. money for them. I could barely squeeze into the potty seat with arms and had to stand up to try to wipe (wet wipes came in handy). Then they moved me to another room and didn't bring that potty and claimed they couldn't bring it because it was "dirty" and they weren't allowed to bring dirty items into cleaned rooms and there were no clean potties!!! I kept telling them the regular toilet was too low and I needed something!!! It took me about 6 hours and multiple calls to staff and threats to go to admin before one scared assistant apparently went and cleaned one herself (even though she wasn't "allowed" to do that) and brought it to me. I could rarely get ice and had my own ice packs brought it but then had trouble getting staff to put them in the freezer and bring them back. I'm not a demanding type of person and it's really hard to tackle these kinds of things when you're in pain and sort of helpless. They would never come and help me into/out of the CPMs so I just gave up on that.

All I can say is get yourself practicing steps so you can get out of there as soon as possible. The PT was the only positive thing about the experience. I also told them I was going to check myself out if things didn't improve. They tried to tell me I had to have a doctor's okay to leave or Medicare wouldn't pay, but they eventually backed down on that and got everything ready for me to go home straight from my follow-up appt. with my OS. By that time, I had learned to get in/out of the car and climb steps, so going home went okay.

I wish you all the best and that you are able to get out of there soon. I think having your husband stay with you as much as possible might help (having a witness or someone to go yell at the administrators). Unfortunately, my place was at least a half hour drive from my home and my son was trying to work so he could with me when I went home. It was not a pleasant experience and I sincerely hope yours goes better.
 
@VancouverUSAgal - I'm so sorry you had problems too. Sucks, doesn't it? I know it's not the nurses' fault that they don't have the proper equipment but it IS their fault that it sometimes takes an hour to get my meds! At this point my husband is so mad that he's talking about suing everyone involved...and in this country, he could do it! I'm trying to talk him down...I don't feel it's necessary to go there. But I will certainly complain to the hospital that sent me here and to the admin staff here about all the problems I've faced.

I got lucky and they found my missing power cord at the hospital so yay! On the downside, I still don't have the Percocet I need and the hydrocodone isn't doing the job. Also, I asked for an ice pack last night and they don't have those at all. And we just found out that the rehab people that are supposed to give me my walker don't work weekends, so it will be Monday before I can be evaluated and given something. Screw that! My husband's headed out to rent me one now; the one I bought at the thrift store isn't really wide enough for me. It's okay for the few feet into the loo but to properly practice walking I'm going to need a better one.

Suffice to say, there's been a lot of ups and downs over the past 30 hours or so! But by Monday I intend to be able to walk the 65 feet I need to get from the bedroom to the kitchen and then all I need is to learn to handle a 4-inch step and then I'm gone!
One four-inch step
 
@VancouverUSAgal and @LauraLeigh -
You're right - the "care" you both received / are receiving sucks. Family members can provide support as witnesses and advocates. Learn and do what you have to to get discharged and don't look back when you walk out the door.
 
A new wrinkle: I just heard from the nurse that they can't allow me to practice walking in the hallway until I'm evaluated on Monday. Sigh. So I guess I'm spending the next two days walking the 10-12 feet from the bed to the door of my room and back again! Whatever it takes...

I don't think I'll tell my husband about this - he will hit the roof!
 
The little ice packs they gave me in the rehab facility were useless. They wouldn't stay in place and they never got very cold. I had them fill up waste can liners with ice cubes then put that in a pillow case. I am not sure they were big fans of doing that but they complied with my wishes. This gave me the opportunity to ice a much larger area around the knee.
 
I know it's not the nurses' fault that they don't have the proper equipment
I actually felt sorry for the staff because it was so clear they were horrible understaffed, especially at night. And, before they moved me, I was surrounded by people with dementia who'd get out of bed at night and it took all the staff time trying to get those people back into their beds and calmed down. It was noisy and just generally awful. Once they moved me to a private room (which they did because they thought maybe I'd stop complaining about every other thing) and I didn't have a roommate keeping the TV on all the time, it got a little better. I would ask them to close my door but then the next person coming in would leave it open unless I caught them in time. I also had trouble getting pain meds on time and they had a policy that they wouldn't wake anyone up to take them so if I haven't to fall asleep then it was really late by the time I got my meds. I went there on a Monday so I was able to be evaluated the next day and was cleared to go to the potty by myself and walk as much as I wanted. I was thankful I was allowed to take my meals in my room because I really didn't relish eating with all those "old people" (ha, ha). Walk as much as you comfortably can and that will help build your strength.

I had a friend who threatened to come in the middle of the night and sneak me out. From what I've heard and seen on the TV documentaries, it seems many of those places are similarly understaffed. It just made me so angry that they would call themselves a rehab place and then offer nothing but PT for rehab - no ice, insufficient equipment, etc. I still haven't responded to their customer service survey (which I will do at some point) because I just wanted to get on with healing and put that awful experience behind me for the time being. I will eventually write quite a report to them and to my insurance carrier who offered very few choices for rehab in my area. I can really understand why some people rush home but I just wasn't ready. If they would have allowed me to stay in hospital a day longer, I think I could have gone straight home. The only good thing I can say is that it was easier on my son who was my care giver - I was more able to do things for myself by the time I got home (13 days after surgery).

Let your husband rage at the admin folks - it might result in better treatment. I could tell the staff was equally frustrated so I tried not to give them a hard time and show my appreciation when they did show up. I hope I never have to go back to one of those places and I'm sure you do too!

You should be able to do the little step very soon - keep your chin up and you'll soon be home.
 
I actually felt sorry for the staff because it was so clear they were horrible understaffed, especially at night. And, before they moved me, I was surrounded by people with dementia who'd get out of bed at night and it took all the staff time trying to get those people back into their beds and calmed down. It was noisy and just generally awful. Once they moved me to a private room (which they did because they thought maybe I'd stop complaining about every other thing) and I didn't have a roommate keeping the TV on all the time, it got a little better. I would ask them to close my door but then the next person coming in would leave it open unless I caught them in time. I also had trouble getting pain meds on time and they had a policy that they wouldn't wake anyone up to take them so if I haven't to fall asleep then it was really late by the time I got my meds. I went there on a Monday so I was able to be evaluated the next day and was cleared to go to the potty by myself and walk as much as I wanted. I was thankful I was allowed to take my meals in my room because I really didn't relish eating with all those "old people" (ha, ha). Walk as much as you comfortably can and that will help build your strength.

I had a friend who threatened to come in the middle of the night and sneak me out. From what I've heard and seen on the TV documentaries, it seems many of those places are similarly understaffed. It just made me so angry that they would call themselves a rehab place and then offer nothing but PT for rehab - no ice, insufficient equipment, etc. I still haven't responded to their customer service survey (which I will do at some point) because I just wanted to get on with healing and put that awful experience behind me for the time being. I will eventually write quite a report to them and to my insurance carrier who offered very few choices for rehab in my area. I can really understand why some people rush home but I just wasn't ready. If they would have allowed me to stay in hospital a day longer, I think I could have gone straight home. The only good thing I can say is that it was easier on my son who was my care giver - I was more able to do things for myself by the time I got home (13 days after surgery).

Let your husband rage at the admin folks - it might result in better treatment. I could tell the staff was equally frustrated so I tried not to give them a hard time and show my appreciation when they did show up. I hope I never have to go back to one of those places and I'm sure you do too!

You should be able to do the little step very soon - keep your chin up and you'll soon be home.
@VancouverUSAgsl
 
Sorry about that - my finger slipped!

What I meant to say was:
@VancouverUSAgal, you are right - if I had been allowed to stay at the hospital one more day, I could have gone straight home. Oh well - it's not like they gave us that choice, right?

I did by 5:30 today get everything I needed: Percocet, both ice machines filled (by my husband) and strapped on and a top of the line rollator walker with a seat also provided by my husband, who has been wonderful throughout this experience. I knew he would be - we've been married 25 years so I know he's a great guy and I got EXTREMELY lucky! But he has truly gone above and beyond during this ordeal. He even offered to go down to Dallas and buy me some Percocet off the street and they could arrest him later! Heck, he wouldn't have had to go that far - probably just to the suburban middle school around the corner.

Anyways, I'm all set now and looking forward to a decent night's sleep, with any luck. Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement - hopefully things will improve from here on out!
 
Be prepared for home too, have your husband set up , wherever you decide to sleep appropriately. Everything within arms reach , a table works great. You can put your reading glasses there, laptop, books , water , snacks, remote control, meds. Etc. Also be sure to elevate toes above nose, I used 2 full body length pillows from Costco. 11 $ each and worth every penny as a laid elevated my first 3 weeks around the clock , with knee covered with ice and never ever missed a dose of meds. Use a alarm clock so you wont miss a dose. Every 4 hours or as prescribed. Follow this routine and usually pain will be minimal. I iced literally 16- 18 hours a day. That was my job . Best of luck to you. Also do not allow any therapist to yank or bend your knee . They can be sneaky !! Best wishes. Iceman
 
You have a wonderful positive attitude! It will help you immensely in the recovery and I adore your husband for offering to get you street drugs! Unconditional love! Hang in there!


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
Just before discharge, my favorite nurse's aide asked me if I was glad to be going home. I told her, "No, I like it here." She burst out laughing. I have to say, I had a fleeting bit of unease about how things were going to work out at home since we hadn't resolved the toileting situation prior to going home. Once that was worked out with the aid of the home health coordinator, I was absolutely happy to be back in our own space.

After I read your exchange, I also thought that a day or two extra in the hospital would have made a world of difference to you. I did have to sign some papers at Admitting about the process available to me if I disagreed with the discharge date and wanted to contest it. I thought it was odd at the time, but I can now see reason for it.

@icep707 made some really good suggestions about setting up your home for your return there. For now, I'm so glad that you have all the equipment, etc. that you need thanks in large part to that wonderful husband of yours. What a keeper! Mine stepped up to the plate as well -- after 27+ years together, I think we both surprised ourselves and each other about what we were capable of in extraordinary circumstances.

Now that you hopefully have all that you need, you can at last focus on rest and healing. Take care!
 
My house has been ready for ages. I already had a toilet riser and arms to help me get up - I've had those for a couple of years. We do have one standard height toilet with no riser but just today we got a quote from our plumber buddy who lives down the street to replace both with the "chair height" toilets. Only $175 for the labor so we're going to go ahead and do it. My husband also appreciates the extra height!
 
Medcoach is a great free phone app for med scheduling and alerts. It will be confusing and frustrating if you just write it on paper. If you have music downloaded already on your phone , you can be alerted to any song you choose. Do you have a shower chair ?. They are handy for bilaterals. You also might need to put those risers on the toilet thats "chair height" since those toilets are not technically "chair height" if my memory serves me correct I think 19 inches is the tallest standard toilet. Best of luck. Iceman
 
@icep707 - I'm using the app Pillboxie for reminders. It's easy and flexible, so when my pills are late (as they often are!), it's easy to redo the times. And one of the alarm sounds it has is a lively little tune that will wake me from a sound sleep - and it keeps nagging you until you enter that you've taken it.

I do have a shower stool; it's actually here now so I can use it in the nursing home since they didn't have one without arms. At home I set it in the tub, sit down, then rotate my body and lift my legs into the tub one at a time. I also have two grab handles to help me get in and out.

I do have an extra riser on one of the toilets now and separate arms too so I can still use both of those on the new toilet until my knees are good enough to handle the chair height seat.

I'm not 100% sure what they will require of me to leave here. I can use the toilet on my own, brush my teeth, bathe and dress myself. The only thing I don't know is how far I can go on the walker since I'm not allowed to leave my room as yet. Our house has no stairs so that's not a concern. I guess I just have to wait and see what figurative hoops I'll have to jump through to get out of here!
 
You seem ready. Of course, the more days you stay, the more money they make. (me being cynical)
 
Hoo boy - am I ready!

Someone mentioned yesterday to make sure I had all my "stuff" - here's what my walker basket is currently holding:
[Bonesmart.org] LauraLeigh's NEW knees!


- 2 different kinds of lotion
- anti-itch cream (I have heat rash EVERYWHERE!)
- Benadryl pills (for the itch)
- pack of tissues
- pack of gum
- portable charger & power cord
- iPhone, iPad Mini & power cord
- spare power plug in case I need to charge 2 things at once
- a spoon for snacks
- a Nutella snack pack (yum!)
- earbuds
- nail file, nail clippers, nail buffer
- cuticle lotion
- stretching strap (for stretching and for lifting my legs on the bed)
- lip balm
- small bottle of hand sanitizer
- protein bar
- Beef stick
- Tums (just in case)
- baby powder (just discovered that putting it on the toilet seat before I sit down helps immensely when I go to get up again!)

Earlier there was also a bowl of Frosted Flakes but I ate those.

What do you think...am I missing anything? ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom