TKR Late Bloomer<

@KarriB Your right that is what friends are for, just found myself yesterday upset about my whole situation again. I go in for a time being ok, then the last few days the knee and leg has swelling again and I have a friend who's doing great. Just gave me a opportunity to feel sorry for myself, have a wk to go before I see the surgeon and I am ready to express how disappointed I am, because I really feel I am a product of things that shouldn't have happened if I had been listened to. But I am at fault myself for not trusting and going with my gut instinct. Infections happen, errors are made, but this was more that my feelings were neglected and I wasn't heard, had the surgeon or assistant been guiding me thur and I was monitored, I would have no beef about it, but that wasn't the case for me. ( thanks for listening KarriB and your good thoughtful responses. )
 
I agree, you have a point to be made with the OS and it is hard not to compare. My BFF had a TKR 2 years before mine and she will need a revision because her surgeon put too large of an implant in her leg, but lives with her limitations because she doesn't want to have the surgery again. We now see the same OS. It was strange because she has cancer and has had multiple surgeries with multiple infections, then I had an infection with my one and only surgery. Neither one of us saw the infection coming.

Your knee will come along when you least expect it. Look back at where you were 2 weeks ago and now you don't have the wound vac and the incision is healed. You know that saying, "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger"? I think this has made you stronger, more patient and I'm sure more understanding of people with ailments.

But I still want to hear what the OS has to say!
 
I am so glad you are so much better. Your gait will improve now that you are headed in the right direction.

Why are you worried about cutting your toe nails, I think you have earned yourself several pedicures :)

I look forward to reading your progress!!!
 
Zzvevi, I know the roller coaster emotions well, and I have not had your complications. I think writing them out here is just the ticket to helping process and move through them.

Your honesty and attitude are inspiring to me. I really appreciate reading your posts.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Hi there! You're gonna be ok friend!
I wholeheartedly agree with others here who encourage gentle approach to your recovery.

I had my right TKR on 22 September 2016 & it's been quite a ride. But one thing I know: I'm healing and each day holds promise of new perspective on recovery.

I'm so glad you found BS! Hold on tightly here! :vespa:
Jen
 
Thanks for encouragement. @uva55 my husband can be fussy about spending money on frills. I've never had a pedicure and to be truthful don't desire one would rather treat myself to something else. My husband has done my toenails with out complaint but I am hoping to be able to do it myself again. As for honesty and being blunt it's me it's who I am. I can take a lot but when set off all hell can break out don't like in anyway to be taken advantage of or to be treated less than the next person. I am a person of fairness and try to understand.
 
I totally understand, your problem should have been addressed sooner, but what you have to focus now is that you are on the healing path and that is the important thing, soon you will be feeling much better, because of your experience, you are stronger now and I am sure that in the future you will not allow anyone to put you off again, I understand that they are professionals but we know our bodies better than anyone else and we know when something is not right. You have to put what happened behind you and concentrate on your current healing and soon this will be behind you as well!!!
 
You are the road to healing! Those toenails will come. It took me a couple of months to be able to do mine. But, still, the only way I can do the right leg is to bend down and cut them. There's no way I can pull the leg up with the knee bent that far.
 
Another milestone in recovery for the first time since June 23rd my knee is finally healed shut. Wound care dr checked the wound out added 1 more dressing to be removed Friday as she scrapped around on it some. Then I am dressing free and free to bath and shower. Skin is thin at this pt so I shouldn't allow the knee to swell to much and no exercising it for 4 wks yet so the skin can continue to heal and thicken up.
 
That's great! :yay: A closed incision! I think it's really smart to say no exercising or swelling, so keep that puppy elevated and your daily activities will work on ROM. You definitely don't want that incision to open up again.
 
It's great that your wound is finally closed. :yes!: :happydance: :yay: :flwrysmile:
What a relief that must be for you.
 
It's a new point in recovery as I've never been totally closed from the start with the incision. It was better for a time, but always open. I am very happy, my advice to anyone who encounters a problem like this is get it resolved sooner, it's not normal to not heal shut, something is going on.
 
Congrats on your closing! What wonderful news this morning! Be careful and don't overdo. You've been through so much and you want to continue to get better!
 
I'm so happy for you!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I have my appt on Halloween with my O.S. and I've been upset about my recovery period of mid August till just recently. I asked the hospital for my medical records and I wanted to go over them. I was surprised to see in my early stages of recovery the first weeks after surgery my ROM was actually better than it was for a while when I started having issues. This stall in movement actually happened when I was being pushed the most from P/T and talk of MUA, the early stages I was just starting out taking it easy, what I learned from reading my reports now point in more in the direction of using a gentle approach to rehab, the way that members on here present it.
Looking back the day I had my staples removed I bleed from my incision to the pt I had to have a dressing put on for P/t, looking back I should have forgotten about p/t that day why stress the incision.
I had what I called a pocket of fluid that ran right beside the area of my incision that didn't heal, again I repeatly stressed that area by trying to increase my ROM and when reading thur my reports my ROM was good at the start so what would lead the P/T to believe that it wouldn't come back after the swelling went down and the incision healed. It just seems by looking back that all this pushing, was def a set back for me. Daily living and heel slids and such was probably all that was needed and I would be steps ahead of where I am now I THINK. I think the pushing for me caused me more harm than good.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom