Guest viewing is limited

TKR Late Bloomer<

Yes, maam, I believe you are also living proof that pushing PT after this surgery does more harm than good. Now, you know you don't need it and will really start to excel without having to do any extra exercises! Your best days are ahead of you!
 
Use the time after work to ice/elevate. Daily living is all you need to do now along with those heel slides you mentioned. I know how I walked when I first came off the imbolizer, I imagine it's not too different of you with the wound vac and an incision that didn't want to close. Now that it's all closed and healed concentrate on walking through the day. Look at the activity progression chart and figure out where you might be, then take it from there. You can do this, zzevi! It's been a different and difficult recovery, but it's salvageable. In another month you'll have moved along on the recovery continuum.
 
Take care of yourself now and ice and elevate after work. Your knee will continue to get better as time goes by. It's hard to go against the medical professionals when they are all pushing you to exercise to get range of motion. I also learned that by trial and error. You are now another voice added to those that now believe in the Bonesmart mantras.
 
Well had my follow up appt with my O.S. haven't seen him in person since mid August. Of course it's no new news that I haven't been happy with my care since about the end of July when I noticed a odor to my incision that hadn't closed. From about mid August on it's been a down hill slide until last week when I finally got a all clear from the wound care clinic. I let the O.S. know of my problems although he did have my current records to refer to, called me a "arm chair quarterback" as to how in hind sight yes we could have done this or that. But he felt over all they weren't neglectful in my care that the minute they saw a problem they moved to the next step first the Santyl ointment and later on refering me to a wound care dr.
I just stated that I really thought my problems could have been avoided, a little more care of their part of having me come in and having it checked to make sure it wasn't infected that it was healing.
My incision had stalled out for healing, prior to seeing the wound care clinic it wasn't healing, it was like the edges were healed off and the incision was open. Also I didn't realize it and wouldn't have if the wound care clinic didn't follow a certain procedure to make sure no infection was present prior to starting the treatment. It did have infection, something the others hadn't checked for.
Also I was told going to P/T and letting them cleanse and treat my wound is normal, they are qualified to give that care. ( on here I often heard differently. And told the surgeon as much that I thought they came a point and time that P/T should have been asking for more input from the surgeon and for me to be seen by them. )
To say the least the appt didn't have the dr at all agreeing with me and my views, but like I told him I needed to express my feelings as I've been living with them for awhile and I didn't agree with the care I've been receiving the past few months.
Think he actually wanted to set up P/T for me again, I said no thanks, I am doing daily living and that's enough at this pt, I told him in reviewing my records I have had over 20+ appts with P/T. Don't think he was happy with my refusal for more P/T, don't think he agreed with the wound care clinic that at least for 4 wks I don't stretch that new skin on my knee as it is thin and weak. But who got me to where I'm at, finally healed shut, not the surgeon, not the P/T, but the wound care clinic so I will follow their advice.
I tried to listen hard and understand his point of view, hopefully he was doing the same as I had some clear, legit concerns, complaints. I realize it's hard and maybe impossible for a dr, or group to admit to error, or to maybe not being on top of things as much as they could have. The closest I came to this was when his assistant seen me and help get me into the wound care clinic, she seemed to understand my frustration and where I was coming from. She was present for the visit today and didn't say a word, but I considered her more basis as anything, listening to each one of our sides and views. Her job may have been on the line had she taken a side, she was helpful for me a month ago back so I will be eternally greatful to her.
Glad to have had the chance to speak my mind, and the one thing he did give me was time to express those views. No follow up till next June, not sure if at that pt I want to return to him or find someone else.
 
I'm glad you were able to express your frustration but it seems like it has fallen on deaf ears. I remember how frustrated I was trying to get my original OS to listen to me when I was having problems with my TKR. I had to go to a different OS for help. You might want to find a different OS for any future problems.
 
Hi Zzevi
I'm sorry you had what must have been quite a stressful meeting with your OS today, but you did well to get your concerns across to him, and to stand your ground on the PT issue. I don't think you need any more physio now, as you said daily activity is enough, and you are right about not stressing that knee out since it has only recently healed up. You had such a big set back in your recovery, hopefully it's going in the right direction now.
Tabby xxx
 
I proud of you girl! You really stood up for yourself! I agree that I'd find another OS. Your present one doesn't seem to care like he should.
 
I am proud also! :thumb: I tend to avoid confrontation, so the fact that you stood up to him is amazing! I agree about the assistant. I'm sure they have to remain quiet especially when an unhappy patient is present. It can't hurt to do some OS research.
 
Thanks for all the encouragement. It was this site that gave me the strength to not back down. I don't like confrontations either but this past month has been a hell that I will always believe was avoidable. Now I will work very hard at moving forward. I will prove the surgeon wrong on my knee becoming a stiff knee I am determined to be on the winning end of this.
 
Well done, for saying all you needed to say, @zzevi . We're proud of you. :friends:
Even though your surgeon acted as if he wasn't taking any notice, it will have had some effect. I bet that, behind the scenes, he will have asked some questions, even if he doesn't change any of his practices. If enough people speak up like you did, it could eventually have some effect.

I always feel that the surgeons get paid the big bucks, so they should be prepared to take some negative input from patients, along with the compliments. And they do need to be told if you feel they could have done better.

You get another gold star for refusing to go to PT again, and for pointing out how much PT you had already had.
I'm sure that everyday life will be all the exercise your knee needs.
 
@Celle thank you It was something I needed to do for myself to move on. Overall I think I've benefited from the tkr but lately that's been clouded over by the set backs. I could feel myself beginning to slip into depression with the wound care the past few wks I've also been very bitter so I was hoping by speaking up I was helping to heal my damaged soul. I want to move forward I may have burned the bridge with a surgeon that did my knee and other joint issues but it had to be done live close enough to a big city with other hospital s and surgeons
 
I don't think it matters if you'v e burned your boats with this surgeon. You've obviously lost faith in him and his clinic, so there's not much point in staying with him, once this recovery is over.

I recently changed my optician, for similar reasons, and there is one Orthopaedic Surgeon in my city whom I won't see again.
 
Confidence and faith in a physician is so important. He broke that trust you had, I have no doubt you'll find another bridge.
 
I always think that having complete confidence in your surgeon is a priority when having a joint replacement, I was lucky, you've been less so. And I can so relate to your feelings, it's easy to fall into a very negative way of thinking, and then that affects everything in your life, especially your recovery. I hope in the future you can find someone you do trust. It sounds as if you are looking forward with a more confident attitude, and that's a good thing.
Tabby xxx
 
I will prove the surgeon wrong on my knee becoming a stiff knee
. You are using your knee every day just living your life. It will still have some stiff days, but you won't lose your flex in it. Remember, when swollen, it's stiffer, when the swelling is down, it moves so much easier. Every morning for a few minutes I'm still stiff, but that usually walks out! Yours will, too. Don't fret, just use your knee as you live your life! You have so much more courage than I ever would have had!
 
Both my knees are stiff for a short while each morning, but it soon wears off, so I ignore it.
They're actually no more stiff than many other joints. I'm getting old and almost everything is stiff when I first get up. :giggle:
 
Ok, so is it alright, this far out, almost 4 months, to have stiffness at the end of the workday? Sometimes I feel as though I am walking a little bent kneed going to the grocery after work. Please answer on my thread, I don't want to tread on anyone else's.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
@34120 when I had the wound vac on it kept my swelling of my knee at bay, now that it's off a day of work and being on my feet is bringing on moderate swelling and stiffness. I would say this is normal. Some one else can chime in and say yes they've experienced it also or no it's not normal. I know I am finding I am not as good at taking tylenol every 4 hrs or so, think that may help with the swelling and stiffness if I would remember to take it on time. Sitting right now with ice and elevating as my knee is very tight tonight.
 
@ 34120 I think from everything I've read we could experience swelling for a yr or more.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom