Guest viewing is limited

TKR Late Bloomer<

It looks like finally you can see the light at the end of the tunnel...remember recovery is slow, so don't over do it and set yourself back. I am very happy for you!!!
 
I was an emotional wreck while fighting my infection. I know just what you're talking about, but it looks like you're nearing the end. Feeling the weight come off is a huge lift, like taking a pair of dark glasses off and seeing things in a bright light.
 
You're making good progress now! Stay the course!
 
I've just caught up with your thread and I'm very happy to read that you are doing much better and your wound is close to being closed. I can understand how it feels to be behind everyone else in recovery but the most important thing is to remember that we all get there. Some of us just have some extra bumps in the road.
 
@newlybionic think my bump was a pot hole. At least that is what my leg looked like for a bit. Hope everyone continues to remind me that this isn't a race.
 
So glad to hear you are making progress with your wound healing! I know well what it feels like to feel behind others but we are getting there and we all have our own story to tell.
 
Questions: How long can a person expect to limp?
Will I ever be able to regain cutting my toe nails or is there a gadget out their to help those of us that don't have the flexability?
Stairs going down, at what point should this become more comfortable and a normal progression? Not sure if part of it is uncertainty on my part, fear, or just not there yet.
Going up I can do, still somewhat of a stiff movement to it all.
Walking, feel very old as I am just so slow moving, would like to work on increasing my speed to my walk.

Suggestions, thoughts. comment open to all and any advice.
 
Going down the stairs easily, foot over foot, does come slowly. It gradually gets better. At first (at about 3+ months) I could do it slowly and with care. Gradually, I grew faster and more confident. I still hold onto the hand rail if there is one, because I don't want to fall, but I could probably manage without it now. It's just my little safety precaution.

I can cut my own toenails, but it wasn't easy at first, because it demands both knee flexibility and the ability to bend over. I do it now by putting one foot up on the side of the bath. I think it is possible to get long-handled scissors, but I wasn't certain I could position them correctly, so I didn't buy them.
At first, I asked my husband to cut my nails. He balked at that, so I went and had a pedicure.

Your limping should decrease gradually.
It helps to walk normally if your knee has full extension. If you have access to a full-length mirror, watch yourself walking, and concentrate on doing it with a correct gait. If you still go to PT, your therapist may be able to help, too.
Your speed will increase gradually as well. Remember that your knee has been through a bad time and it needs time to recover.
 
I'm able to take care of my feet by sitting in a lower seat and bending over. I can bend my RTKR but not my natural left knee. I found it easier to practice my gait on a treadmill. It was easy to concentrate on heel toe movement on the treadmill. I still prefer walking on it rather than outside.

Remember you've just finished with the wound vac which probably inhibited your knee's bend. It'll get better over time, especially now that you don't have to worry about the wound or the contraption. Take the walking slow and concentrate on heel toe. Did you get new shoes?
 
@KarriB yes, I did get some new shoes about a month back the ones you and others spoke about. I bought a pair of slip on type and to me they feel like I am wearing slipper and do to much slidding of my feet. But they are comfortable and seem supportive. I am next going to invest in some new walking shoes ( tennis shoes) also as I start feeling better the chiropractor seemed to think I may have a difference in leg lenght and my need a small lift.

@Celle thanks for all the good advice, sounds like I should just practice on the stairs and it will come. I think part could be fear, one of the first times after surgery I went out of our house and it was only one step, but I started off on the wrong leg, boy was that a zinger for pain, and thought I was going to go down. Sitting on something low or using the edge of the tub for clipping toes nails may work, I'll have to try it. And I do think my limping is less if I am thinking about the heel to toe walking pattern. All things to work towards.

Time to get back on track with recovery.
 
Some good sneakers or walking shoes would be a huge help for your gait. I do wear Vionics but mostly because for my PF and they help me. During the school year with cooler weather I made sure I had a good pair of sneakers that I could put an insert in. If you were knock needed or bowed before surgery your TKR will be straight now and may take some time to get accustomed to walking with a straight leg. It might also explain the difference in your leg length now also.
I sometimes have to remember heel toe even now when I'm on the treadmill, I can get lazy.
 
The stairs have been my biggest challenge. I know what you mean about the fear. I use my cane and the rail, and just give myself permission to go very slowly. It's OK for us to be slow -- nobody is chasing us :). We'll get there and just think how great it will be not to have the arthritis pain, with the image of bones grinding on injured bones.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Since I couldn't walk down stairs normally for a few years I still can't do it every time. You've been a little delayed because of your wound vac. It will come with time. For new sneakers I would suggest you go to a store that caters to runners. They measured my foot, examined my gait and then showed me some sneakers that would help me to have a normal gait. It was worth the extra bit of money. From this point I can order them online.
 
Today I found myself comparing my knee replacement to my best friend she had hers done probably a good 8 wks after mine her incision healed and looks fabulous and I didn't see her hobbling at all glad hers was successful but also a slight bit jealous I should be so much further along. ( pity party time)
 
You'll get there, it is hard not to wonder where you'd be without a complication. Did you have the same OS?

My BFF and have talked about having ours done at the same time (she needs a revision) but we joked about the fact that there'll be no one to take care of us. We would have fun in the hospital after though.
 
How long can a person expect to limp?
That's one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions! It has no answer!
Will I ever be able to regain cutting my toe nails
Well I can and could after just a few weeks - 12 or so. Never really gave it a thought - just did it!
Stairs going down, at what point should this become more comfortable and a normal progression?
Well a) don't worry about it and b) don't try and force it. You will probably find that you can progress from one step at a time to normal and it will be a surprise! I found that same going up. It came as a surprise when I could.
 
@KarriB no my best friend and I didn't have the same surgeon and to be truthful, I thought I was more informed, more ready for it etc... then she was. I thought I would breezy though it easier than her. I actually went in and sat with her the day after her surgery and have kind of been a mentor, now I feel like she could be mine.
 
@Josephine my husband often tells me I think about stuff to much, maybe like stairs I just need to let it happen. But now that things are starting to get back on track I've just been wondering about some of the things I took for granted.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom