TKR Late Bloomer<

Drinking water really helps me cramping as well as making sure I have potassium in my system. I hope your achiness goes away soon.
 
Wow, it's been ages since I've posted, it was a year ago today that I went thru my left tkr, and what a year it's been, those first months were difficult to say the least.
Just had a co-worker stop in that just had come from p/t and had surgery a few days ago, I kind of cringed when his wife mentioned that during his p/t today he started to bleed some, it was from his drain site, but it just brought back memories as to that may have been the start of all my problems a yr ago, I had a drain, came time to go home and they won't let you go home with one in and I was having plenty of drainage, one nurse stated you won't be going home to much drainage, a new shift came on the container had been emptied a few hrs prior and there wasn't a bunch in there so she pulled the drain, of course I didn't mind at the time I wanted to go home, and my mind was foggy also.( don't think the nurse checked the records or asked any one or she would have been aware that I was still having plenty of drainage.) But then I developed like a pocket of fluid in the area of where the drain was and p/t and my healing incision, that just seemed like a lot of stress on that area and over time that is the area that stayed open and months down the road required me to have a wound vac to help heal that area shut. My scar is almost unoticeable (sp) above and below this area, this area I have a dimple (sunked area ) about the size of a quarter. So my memory may dim of my procedure, but I don't think I will be able to totally forget about it.
Thankful that my right knee seems fine, and hopefully won't need a replacement or if I do it may be yrs down the road yet.
I have my 1 yr check up next week and I will be seeing a different surgeon then the one who preformed my surgery, I am happy with my knee joint, but feel that a lot of mistakes were made after the surgery on both my part and his, and I expressed my dissatisfaction at my prev fall check up and decided at that point he would no longer be my surgeon to over see my knee from here on out.
I am finding and will find out for sure in Aug, that I am developing Arthritis, after having joint soreness and stiffness in January thru about April, made an appt to see a rheumatologist to see if I have the start of arthritis which I just want a diagnosis as I am pretty certain I do have. Been to the foot doctor as my left foot is extremely stiff upon sitting for periods of time and I hobble when I first get up, she did a xray of my foot and it shows that the cushion between my small bones in my foot is gone, kind of like my knee was, the good stuff is gone and it's bone on bone. Had a cortisone injection and it's helped so-so, got some new shoe inserts to help hold my feet in good position and help with the stress on those bones, they've been helpful, I am hoping that the Rheumatologist will be able to get me on some kind of medication to slow down any additional joint damage and help ease some of the discomfort I've been experiencing.
Also I am a new grandma as of June 1st to a beautiful baby girl. Plan on looking over the posting now that I have a little more time on my hands and see what's happening on Bonesmart.
Looking forward to my appt, to see how this surgeon feels I am doing overall. I have swelling yet, have had more the past couple months than I had, had for a while prior to that, think it's the way I've been sitting using a ottaman and maybe stressing the knee to much. I get around good, often wonder what my ROM would be at this point. So days is better than others for bending, have knelt on it very little, it is a funky feeling. Can do most stairs ok, but our basement stairs I find I am a little funky at doing them, my husband said our steps our a little higher than most, other steps I have found I can do ok with. Working on getting more exercise this summer to help aid weight loss, but to also help with mobility.
What should I be expecting of myself at my 1st yr b.d of this tkr?????
 
Hey zzevi! Good to hear from you. It sounds like your new knee is doing well! Some TKRs have swelling the whole first year, so you maybe one of the lucky ones.

I've recently found that walking actually helps my TKR. I walk slowly, but since I started I'm able to walk easier than before and stand for longer periods. So you could try walking for your summer exercise. I began slowly and added 5 minutes each week. Biking is easy on knees too and may be better for your foot.
 
@KarriB, yes, I've started to become more active, walking more and started using the exercise bike. That does work nice as it doesn't bother my foot. The bad foot is also on my leg that had the tkr although this stiffness I've had for probably the past 3 yrs or so, it def has gotten worse recently. This past yr has been a bumpy road, after my foot dr appt, my blood pressure got running really high, maybe it had been for a while, but I hadn't been aware. So those meds have been increased, as usual the end of the school yr is a stressful time, the kids have checked out and it's a daily battle. I am finding overall I like what I do, but I don't like the way education is heading, having less and less control of stressful situations all the time, that I really would like to find something different. But with these new added issues of painful stiff feet, I will wait to check into anything to different till my appt in Aug. But I know the added additional stress has helped fuel my blood pressure issues. So summer vacation will help me energize for the fall, and help get my blood pressure back in check, for the first time in a very long time I find myself watching the help wanted ads hoping and praying something jumps out that I would enjoy, yet provide the needed health care benefits that I need to carry. Glad I had my replacement when I did, especially with all these other things surfacing, my knee is nice sturdy and stable. I don't walk as fast as I used to, and have some swelling, and am curious as to what my ROM is, but for the most part I am managing.
 
@zzevi, it's so good to hear from you. How is your wound doing? I, too, still have swelling. Not much. It's about 1/2-1" bigger than the other knee. I'm not really worried about it.
 
My wound is healed shut and has been since last Nov. I have a more noticeable scar where the infection was, it left a dimple like scar mark. Otherwise can't hardly see the rest of the scar.
Still experiencing swelling, I guess I would say mine is like yours at least half again as big as my right knee. Thought at a yr out maybe that part would be history.
 
Education is not what it used to be, that's for sure and a BIG reason I retired at 59 years old. My left knee is holding on for now, especially without walking on those cement floors all day long. My walking has helped my BP too, no meds needed. The end of the year is soooo stressful! I hope a stress free summer does help!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful that you are all healed up! I guess swelling is just something we'll have to deal with for a while longer. Mine never went all the way down from the cleanup surgery the previous November '15.
 
I was just looking up if it would be possible to take a tub bath again. It's been almost 2 yrs since my surgery and I have a hankering to get into a tub of warm water and soak. I am able to get up from the floor when I am on it, but usually need something to grab a hold of.
Looking for suggestions and directions on how to go about this. (I am over weight and I can kneel on my knee but try not to.)
 
@zzevi you may notice I moved your post above to your own recovery thread. The thread you posted on is very old and has not been visited for some time. You will get more input on your question here.
 
You should be able to do this. Make sure you have a nice grippy mat on the bottom. Do you have grab bars? They help if you have them. If not, you can still do this. For me, I turned on my side, got that knee under me, then got over onto both knees. I dried my hands on a nearby towel so I would have the best grip (wet hands might slip) and used my arms and the tub edge to help me get up onto my feet. My husband was on standby just in case, but he wasn't needed.

Hope you get more suggestions! A nice soak is a beautiful thing.
 
Hello everyone it's been like forever since I've been on the site. For some reason I am really hankering to take a bath in the bath tub. I've never tried to get down into the tub since my tkr. Is it do able, or is it something I should put out of my head.
I would love to just sit and soak. ( I'm not a small person, and I can get up off the floor, but usually have to find something to help with pulling myself up with.)
 
thank you for any help I need with posting it's been a while and I kindof even forgot what I needed to do.
 
Hey there @zzevi, welcome back to Bonesmart! How are you getting along?

I haven't taken a tub bath since my breaks in May, but before then I would push up with my hands of each side of the tub. Then, I'd push myself up and sit my butt on the side of the tub. I'd then swing my legs over the edge onto the floor and push up. It was a slow getting up process, but I could do it.
 
I was just looking up if it would be possible to take a tub bath again. It's been almost 2 yrs since my surgery and I have a hankering to get into a tub of warm water and soak.
You should be fine to soak in the bath.

Can I suggest that you try a "dry run" of getting out of the bath before you commit to getting in a full tub? It's much better to be rescued fully clothed than naked and wet. :heehee:

I can get out of the bath, but I have to turn over onto my stomach and push up with my arms before I can get my feet underneath me . Then I slowly walk my hands back towards my feet, until I can stand up. It's not elegant, but it works for me.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom