Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ladyala recovery

Well that was a marathon...now I'm elevating & ice ice baby.
Man my calf gets sore in the car!! But it had to be done. Tomorrow is low key, I'm going to visit a friend but shes got a comfy house & will take good care of me. And I need some girlfriend time!!
 
Woke up today with anxiety going full tilt. We need to put a roof up over our front porch & I have to find contractors to bid on it. I hate doing stuff like this...making decisions is really hard for me, especially when its something I don't know much about. I'm worried we will make the wrong decision, $, timing issues...ugh!! I did call 2 that are in my town but I also know them which weirds me out. What if I don't like the work? That's happened to us before & it's just so awkward!

I'm choosing to trust God, & I know it will all be ok. I just wish my fight or flight response would follow suit!!

Knee was a lil stiff this morning but otherwise fine. Actually I feel a lil more confident walking around today so that's nice. I was a little worried after yesterday's activity but all is well.
 
I understand having to find people to work at your home. We just put a roof on our house and I had to find a roofer who would do a great job, wouldn't quote a ridiculously overpriced number, would be thorough in his estimate and so on. I first relied on the review sites out there, then interviewed three or four different ones. The one we chose was obviously honest, hard working, had all his own crew instead of subbing out the tear off of the old roof with unknown people, gave us a very detailed quote, and his quote included all possible unknowns. Both of us were there when he inspected the roof and we asked a ton of questions which he willingly answered. We both chose this guy, and are more than happy we did. He did an amazing job, the roof is wonderful and looks great.

Having to do stuff like this at a month out is difficult, but you'll get it done and be happy you did.
 
Well I'm in the ODIC again. We picked up A from vb camp today & watched the program, by the time we got home I was VERY stiff. 2+ hours in the car total, sitting on bleachers for 1.5 hrs & walking more than usual. Oops. But it was worth it to see her do her thing & hopefully I won't have issues tomorrow. So far I've been lucky with that & the next day I'm fine. Time will tell!

It was funny, a man saw me walking w the cane & asked about my knee then told me he is at 7 weeks. It was nice to commiserate about the bleachers with someone while enviously watching teens run & jump around the gym :heehee:

PT again tomorrow. Still have scabby spots so I'm still not back to the pool. Praying that changes soon!!
 
I did the same, ashamed to admit it. Feel really sore today, been icing all day and could kick myself for being so careless. Walked 1.8 miles yesterday, all flat and between times sitting, eating, had coffee but clearly way too much.
At the time didn't realize I'd walked so far, and The heat was horrible. Checked phone app when I got back. Horrified.
 
Last edited:
@Benay i walked around my block twice w grands w/o too much trouble and phone says over 1700 steps and was tired out, how many steps in 1.8 mile? I don’t think I can do that many unless I’m in walking channel at pool!
 
@Ladyala , won’t it be nice to get back into pool?
I used to walk in channel at least three times week but it’s been long time since I’ve been able to get there.. but so enjoyable it’s hard not to overdo! There’s a hot tub next to pool and I usually use it for my back but wonder if knee will tolerate?
 
:swoon:@knee#2 Looks like 1.8 miles is about 4000 steps. I'll try not to repeat it coz it looks like a case of 1 step forward 3 back.
 
Well I'm definitely more swollen today. Bummer! I'm only going to do gentle stretching this morning & save the more challenging stuff for PT. Oh how I wish I could get in the pool!! Hopefully by the end of next week.
 
@knee#2 I found the hot tub helped me get the best stretches in the new knee. I started back into the pool around 6 weeks with my first knee. I didn't do the hot tub initially but maybe at 2 months and it always felt wonderful.
 
Oooh that's good news...there's a hot tub at the vacation house we are going to on the 8th. I was planning to sit on the edge only but I might try actually getting in. We'll see, depends on my open spots & if I'm swollen or not. Big difference between hot tub temp & PT pool temp!!
 
@Ladyala If your incision is not fully closed yet you should not be going in a pool or hot tub. At least that is what the doctor told me the last time. It took 6 weeks for everything to close as I had a few stitches that didn't dissolve and they had to remove them.
 
Oh I'm not. I saw the dr last week & I've been doing only land PT since. I just miss the pool a lot! I'm praying they will heal by the end of next week. I scheduled for the pool Thursday & land Friday. If the spots are gone I'll do the pool but if not I'll do land. My PT suggested getting waterproof bandages for the beach if its still a problem but man I hope not! I'll be at 7.5 weeks at that point.

I'm having one of those days today. I'm just frustrated & wish I could sleep for like a month & wake up with my life back to normal.

B a b y s t e p s are good but they go by so
s l o w l y...
 
Aaaaand I overdid it in PT. It felt ok at the time but when I got home I made a beeline for the ice & pillows.
:ice:
Its hard to know my limitations. I'm a people pleaser so I want to do what's asked of me. Not working in my favor today!!
:bicycle2:
I had a different PT guy. My usual one massages a lot & gently manipulates my knee, then has me do 1 set of the exercises. This guy didn't massage as much & had me doing 3 sets. He did say to let him know if it was too much but it seemed ok at the time.
:shrug:
*sigh*

Oh well, I'll be fine & I don't have anything on the schedule but rest & pay bills tomorrow. My kids will just have to be extra helpful & sweet.
:heehee:
 
This is one of the reasons I will do my own PT next time. My “therapy” caused me much more damage than it helped anything. Not only did it negatively affect me physically, it also negatively affected me emotionally.

I am now a firm believer that the ADL’s (Activities Of Daily Liviing) are all the PT I will need. You get all the movements in the course of your day that the PT exercises have you do, but you do them naturally, and spaced out throughout the day. As you heal and get stronger, you gradually do more.

You have a very busy lifestyle. You have plenty of ADLs to rehab your knee just fine. And actually, you really should curtail some of those activities for a bit, I think you are doing too much.

If you can’t cut back on your activities, seriously consider your PT regime. Doing both is too much and setbacks can sometimes take weeks to overcome. (Been there, done that.)
 
Question: does anyone else struggle to eat? I get hungry but nothing sounds good so I nibble here & there all day. I do eat more at dinner. I've also kinda lost my enormous sweet tooth. When I visited a friend this week she offered me raspberry cheesecake & it just sounded yukky. :nah:
So weird, I love cheesecake!! I kinda hope that's permanent cos it sure makes dealing with willpower easier lol!!

I'm super tired today. :bored: Had a rough time falling asleep last night. I've been up doing stuff some, paying bills & stuff. Got my hospital bill set up for payment arrangements-:holysheep: fred the knee was expensive!! But God will provide, He always does!

I'm trying to focus on gratitude. It's so easy for me to get sucked into feeling sorry for myself. Right now I wish I could do the grocery shopping again. My poor hubby works very hard at a physically demanding job & the last thing he wants to do is shop on the weekends. We live in a rural area & the closest store is 25 miles away.
:kayak:
I do pop in to grab a thing or 2 when I'm out at appointments but its rough to do much with the amount of driving involved. We have a small store in town but its pretty expensive so we don't use it much.

Anyway, all that to say I'm thankful for my hubby & my kids. They have really come through for me & I'm blessed to have them.
:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
I seem to remember not being hungry after my TKR for a while. Part of the reason had to do with the surgery and pain killers. I think that's a common complaint and will fade away with time.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom