Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ladyala recovery

Having a better day today - hooray!!:egypdance: I got up & folded some laundry, paid bills & got my PT appointments changed. Also got insurance figured out for the root canal I need to get soon. :thud:
I'm still annoyed with the sutures thing but I'm sucking it up & moving on.
Having a good & more focused prayer/study time helped a lot. Getting some actual stuff done is key for my mental health as well.
And don't worry I'm resting & icing too.
:ice:

I'm getting around without assistance in the mornings. I find I get more stiff throughout the day & need the cane for insurance against fred giving out on me. (I named my knee fred, dont know why, it just seems right lol.) Its buckled a few times when I'm tired, my dr & pt tell me its because my quads are weak so it will resolve in time. I also use the cane if I'm out of the house.
Anyway, hope y'all are having a great day!!
:wave:
 
Sounds like you are doing good, just don’t do to much, I’ve had one busy day, and took 3 days to recoup.
 
I did have a hard time getting to sleep last night. My calf muscles get achy when I'm up more & its hard to get comfortable. But it's only a little annoying, nothing major. I'm a little nervous about land PT today...its in the afternoon when I tend to be more stiff but

What are y'all doing for dinners? My kids are doing most of the cooking, which is great, but they would rather make spaghetti or mac & cheese every night. I have to menu plan & make a grocery list for hubby today & I'm not looking forward to it. Not one of my favorite jobs anyway, but its extra hard to come up with stuff the kids are willing to cook & get some variety. :what: Also my more willing helper is leaving in a couple days for a 4 day camp, leaving me with the more reluctant helpers. But at least I have helpers, need to look on the bright side!!

Ok time to get something accomplished...:idea::fingersx:
 
:gaah::blackcloud::groan:

Oh good grief...this is a little annoyance but I just learned about it so I'm gonna have a mini rant.
I had a dentist appointment scheduled for yesterday that I canceled, bc I was tired & didn't want to go anywhere. So today I called to reschedule & was told I need to call my OS to find out how long til I can even see the dentist & that I need a pre med. And I also might need a root canal sometime soon. Had I known this little treat, I wouldn't have waited on the RC!

I had some insurance tangles & finding an endontist nearby (I'm in a rural area) was gonna be a challenge, it was spring season sports, I have 3 hs kids, each in a different sport so games games & more games. Plus the end of the school year which is always crazy anyway for work, and my impending tkr the week after school got out...
You can see why I put it off!
:flabber:

Ugh!!! Thankfully the tooth isn't bad, only a tad annoying so it's not a huge deal to wait.

Ok rant over, I shall pull on my big girl panties & move on. Have a great day!
 
How frustrating for you, on top of just trying to heal and be a mom. I'm such a baby about tooth discomfort.

Can you put a chair in or near the kitchen and use your kids as feet and direct them through the cooking process? Your healing needs more nutrition than just spaghetti and mac n cheese. If you're right there with "this is what we're doing tonight" then maybe you can get some great meals going.
 
@luvcats
They follow direction ok- just get whiny & sometimes I give in just cos I'm tired & don't want to deal with it. Im trying to find easy but healthy meals for them to make. My appetite isn't the greatest either so that's a challenge as well. We are muddling through. I make sure I'm getting fruits & healthy cereal & yogurt throughout the day. Plus I take my vitamins.
 
PT was good yesterday. I worked a little harder than I have but it was good. I can get an extension of 115 easily & 120 with PT pushing it. Not too shabby for almost 5 weeks!!! :yes!: Got a couple new exercises to do. I don't seem to get swollen from PT, it's more the drive there & back that makes me stiff. I did feel more tightness in my calf last night but not bad, just annoying.

I really wish I could sleep on my side. I can tolerate it a bit in the mornings but at night it's just uncomfortable. My upper half is like 'ahhhh' but the fred says 'nice try' & back to my back I go.

I got to go out for dinner w my dh after PT. :loveshwr: He came with me & it was fun to get out like a normal person again!! The restaurant was kind & gave me a chair to prop my leg on. We tried a ramen place, very yummy!! That was my first non packaged ramen...what a difference.

Today I'm having trouble being motivated, I'm sure due to all the activity yesterday. And I've got a busy day tomorrow too. S, my oldest comes home from wrestling camp & my daughter A, goes to vb camp. Dh is heading out tonight to pick up S so he can watch the final tournament. Its over 2 hours away so he will spend the night. I'm not looking forward to that...hard to sleep without him. So tomorrow I've got church with the twins & then off to drop A at her camp. Her bro E will come along to help carry stuff. Thankfully it's not as far...only an hour away. Not much farther then a lot of my appointments. Living rural means driving a lot!

So today I have to do PT, fold some laundry, help A pack & make sure her paperwork is in order. But all I want to do is lay around & binge my show. Better get it done so I can be lazy. Then I won't be stressing out later! Not that I ever do that...HA!! :dubious:
 
I saw in another thread you mentioned walking on the beach in a few weeks. Be very careful, uneven surfaces can be very hard on a 7.5 week old knee, and sand shifts beneath your feet making it even worse. To be very honest, I think you should reconsider that activity.

I had trouble for months walking on an uneven grassy surface, I’m sure sand would have been worse for me.

I went away for a weekend at 4 months and did things I shouldn’t have, and I paid dearly for it in pain and swelling. Don’t let that happen to you!
 
@Jockette thanks for your concern! I will be super careful & will have support from family all around me. I've joked that if I have trouble I'll get all the strapping younger men in the family carry me out in a chair. :heehee:

There is soft sand behind the house & I will practice there first. If I can't then plan b is beach access that gets me as close to the hard packed sand as possible. I believe there are places where you can drive onto the beach so that might work. Plan c is just enjoying the sound from afar & employing my kids in picking up shells for me.

My PT & dr think I'll be fine with my cane & I'm bringing the walker too just in case. Rest assured yy main activity is gonna be sitting on the porch monitoring the drinks cooler :ice:
 
You sound well prepared, with 3 plans!

I forget that you can drive onto some beaches. I haven’t been to one like that.
 
Yeah I'm hoping that's the case! We have 26 people going to this shindig & nobody is younger than 15 so I'll have lots of support. My generation is supposed to do dinners but I think I'm only gonna have a supporting role at best.
 
Sounds like you're coming along quite nicely. I have just one suggestion....don't let the PT push on your knee and especially don't let him/her measure your ROM unless it's you doing the bending. Any ROM you get by another person pushing on your knee isn't real as the only ROM that is correct is what you achieve on your own. Plus, allowing the PT to push your knee is never a good idea as they want to push you as far as they can to achieve numbers they think you should have (often in order to get good numbers for their own benefit) and may push too far and too hard and cause pain and more swelling as a result. One of the first things I told the hospital PT (the only one I allowed near me and only so I could do some walking around as I needed a spotter for that for a few days) was that he was not allowed to touch my leg/knee except to help lift it off the bed to the floor. That was the only PT I had and I'm so glad I decided to forego all formal PT and just follow the BoneSmart way.
 
I really wish I could sleep on my side. I can tolerate it a bit in the mornings but at night it's just uncomfortable. My upper half is like 'ahhhh' but the fred says 'nice try' & back to my back I go.
This is exactly me. I try it a few minutes every night, but still no. :beg::sigh:

Do your kids like spicy food? I have a favorite easy meal that has been working great for my recovery.
 
What about tacos? Your kids and/or hubby can easily make the filling, you can make them healthy or decadent, mild or spicy, and they have plenty of veggies in the lettuce, tomato and onion topping. (Although I don't use lettuce, I use shredded cabbage). As a side dish, corn on the cob is easy to make and delicious; add some fresh fruit salad and you've got a great meal for five people and, if you make enough, dinner for two nights. Oh, and avocados on top are also delicious!
 
@Ladyala What about chili??? I know some kids don't care for beans, but we do a lot of red chili (tomato based) and white chili (southwestern white chili with chicken).

My 12 yr old is super picky due to years of food allergies/intolerances, and I've ruined him on some of our suppers, simply because he's tired of them---chili wins every time though, and I make enough to last days. :) Thus it's super easy on my knees. It's also one of the few meals we ALL 3 can eat due to the multitude of food allergies/intolerances and genetic cholesterol problems between the 3 of us in this crazy family. :)
 
Tacos & chili are great ideas, thanks!! We actually have a white chicken chili recipe the whole family loves...a rare occurance in our home.
 
Got A off to camp yesterday & she's having a good time. S is home from his camp & grumpy as can be. I missed him but not his bad mood tude!! Yeesh, teens are a challenge! :sigh:

Today I have to run an errand & go to PT. I was pretty tired after getting A to camp & settled so I'm sure today won't be any different. So the rest of the day I'm gonna take it easy.

Another little spot opened on my scar. Just a tiny one but SO annoying! I really want to get back to the pool but idk when that's gonna happen. Oh well, God knows what's going on, I'm just along for the ride!

I was able to sorta lay on my side for awhile this morning so that was nice. Baby steps!

Other than that, its business as usual around here. Hope y'all are having a good day!!
:loveshwr:
 
I well remember those "home from camp moody blues". Kids go to camp, have a wonderful time and then have a letdown when back home again to the regular daily grind. Kind of like when we've taken a wonderful vacation and then have to go back to our regular daily lives. But, it's still nice to be back home, even if it's not as fun as camp, and your son will settle back down soon.

Lying on your side is sooooooooo nice and so missed when you can't do it, so I'm sure you're happy about being able to do it, even for short stretches. Don't overdo the PT and errands; you really don't want to go to the ODIC camp! :heehee:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom