THR Kritterkiddo's L THR recovery

Thank you for the pain info.
I was told to reduce Oxy, and only to take it at bedtime and before PT. I am taking everything else they gave me.
So Does that mean I take one Oxy before I go to a PT appointment only, or also before I do the exercises that they tell me to do in between appointments? I will write and ask my nurse.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just my thinking, but pain meds make us comfortable so we heal and REST more. Taking pain meds before PT seems like a counterproductive way to heal and recover. The pain meds might mask any discomfort PT might be doing. Then there would be the need for more or increased pain meds to combat the pain from over doing when you didn't feel it coming on. Then you would be repeating the cycle actually regressing in recovery. This is a lot of why most on here do little or no PT aside from walking and have good results.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
BoneSmart recommends against taking pain meds right before PT or exercise because it can mask your body's ability to signal pain. And, if you don't know that what you are doing is hurting you, you will continue to do it -- and cause yourself to end up with more swelling and pain afterwards.

Of course, if you find yourself in pain AFTER PT or exercise, you should take a dose. And, certainly, taking a dose at bedtime can help you sleep.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Try not to do pt for now till a few more weeks of healing When you’re more stable and don’t have to worry about how and when to take pain meds. Your hip will heal in it‘s own time. Rest, sleep and eating a good healthy diet as well as comfort important now. try slowly walking every few hours is all you can now. Your body needs 2200 calories a day to recover. I couldn’t do much until the first 6 -8 weeks thr surgery because the bone is growing to stabilize the implants. wait for pt at least until you feel comfortable and experience no pain While walking . Pt shouldn’t hurt and or require pain meds if that’s the case then Skip it for now . You will be in pt soon enough. Although pt is not required to heal be aware that sometimes can do more harm and cause set backs . Listen to your body it hurts don’t do it.
sending healing blessings your way.
 
Day 19
Thank you @Hippielife for that advice. :goodpost:
Yesterday we did some errands and oh boy my ice nap was wonderful afterwards.
Today is my first PT appointment not in home per the Surgeon's protocol. I am happy to not take any Oxy except at night.

I took the liner out of the (R) non-operated side and have a pain free rolling gait where I go up on the left side & down on the right.

I have to remember to ask about weight limits when carrying anything. Like is a gallon of water safe to carry holding it against my right side?

All the best!
 
Everything is safe, until it isn't. After a major surgery with an implant carrying any weight isn't wise. Give your body a chance, it will reward you later. Trust me when I say new hips don't like carrying weight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Give your body a chance, it will reward you later. Trust me when I say new hips don't like carrying weight.
Agree 100%! I am a few days further along than you and I am even reluctant to carry a half gallon of milk a few feet to the counter for my tea. Glad when it is half empty. I would hold off on carrying weight if you can.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My pt said no heavy weights for around 3 months or so as the bits in there need to grow around and secure the hip. No downward pressure.

He said around 5 kilos is ok.
 
It was about 3.5 months after I had both hips replaced that I picked up any thing heavier than my purse. I remember the occasion vividly because it involved chasing my biggest Maine Coon cat ( who weighted about 22lbs) up the stairs, into the guest room, getting down on my stomach to gently drag her out from under the bed, stand up holding squirmy cat, and carry her down my steep winding staircase while trying not to step on her tail (I'm 5'1" and she was about 4'8" nose to tail) while she wiggled and whined. And then get her into her crate for a trip to the groomers. When all that was accomplished I stood in awe for a few minutes because I had not once thought of my hips during the whole process! AND had zero complaints from the hips either.

So take it slow, avoid lifting heavy stuff for a while yet, and you will get back to a new normal, pain free, life!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT is a cat's cat!!
It is amazing that you were able to do all that, especially get up and down on the floor. I admire so much about what you did there!!! My hero :wow:
Give your body a chance, it will reward you later. Trust me when I say new hips don't like carrying weight.
Agree 100%! I am a few days further along than you and I am even reluctant to carry a half gallon of milk a few feet to the counter for my tea. Glad when it is half empty. I would hold off on carrying weight if you can.
We bought all smaller containers of milk and water to avoid the lifting. But, must have milk in tea...
Try not to do pt for now till a few more weeks of healing When you’re more stable and don’t have to worry about how and when to take pain meds. Your hip will heal in it‘s own time. Rest, sleep and eating a good healthy diet as well as comfort important now. try slowly walking every few hours is all you can now. Your body needs 2200 calories a day to recover. I couldn’t do much until the first 6 -8 weeks thr surgery because the bone is growing to stabilize the implants. wait for pt at least until you feel comfortable and experience no pain While walking . Pt shouldn’t hurt and or require pain meds if that’s the case then Skip it for now . You will be in pt soon enough. Although pt is not required to heal be aware that sometimes can do more harm and cause set backs . Listen to your body it hurts don’t do it.
sending healing blessings your way.
This makes very good sense. I have zero pain and today at PT they cleared me to drive and gave me a few new exercises that were not aggressive. Plus I go back only once a week.
Slow wins the race.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 20
That amazes me.
Twenty days after removing my hip joint & putting in a shiney new one and yet I can walk upright. Only 20 days!!! And I've been doing it since Day One.
Please know that I say this humbly and with great gratitude. I know that others have issues and I am so sorry about that.
But I think that this site wants to hear the good & the bad, and I am just overwhelmed with gratitude today so that is coming out.
I want to remind myself that this is my experience if I have to do this surgery on the right side.
Thank you for listening!
 
We do want to hear it all. When I was awaiting my surgery I clung to updates like yours. If we only read posts of misfortune, complications and displeasure with surgery results, we'd be hard pressed to keep our scheduled surgery dates. I am happy for you and thank you for sharing. May it only get better!
An attitude of gratitude...aaah, like a breath of fresh air. I never tire off reading updates such as yours.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looove these shares!
I swear the chronic pain prior to surgery...and my subsequent BTHR reached into my soul and brought forth an epiphany... sounds cheesy but my gratitude swelled and I found myself very emotional with new found hope and happiness.
Guess it is the Big Plus for having struggled through Bad Hips.
:loveshwr:
 
Looove these shares!
I swear the chronic pain prior to surgery...and my subsequent BTHR reached into my soul and brought forth an epiphany... sounds cheesy but my gratitude swelled and I found myself very emotional with new found hope and happiness.
Guess it is the Big Plus for having struggled through Bad Hips.
:loveshwr:
Well put. I love cheesy!
 
So very pleased to hear of your progress but the accompanying joy and happiness is truly life changing and at times overwhelming.:catdance::dogwalk:
 
We all love the sharing of the good posts. It is a refreshing shower for everyone. It will soon be 5 years for me, and I am as grateful today as I was right after my THR. It still amazes me what the orthopedic surgeons can do to keep us moving and enjoying life.

You mentioned carrying weight on your new hip. I agree a conservative approach is best. Since this is the hip joint and not a shoulder or arm joint, I also think that it is important not to get too hung up about an exact weight amount as much as how stable/balanced/confident you feel on your hip. Common sense should rule here. Of course, don't be weight lifting, carrying heavy boxes or bags of groceries, re-arranging the furniture, etc. You'll naturally work your way up to more weight as the weeks go along. Your body is always going to let you know if you've pushed it too far. Then, like @djklaugh said above, you'll just start to do normal things without thinking and have that much more to be grateful for. Continued healing blessings and keep those positive posts going!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom