THR Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<

I have to admit I always thought those who did well with replacements must have done a lot of PT. Thanks to my own replacement and my doctor's thoughts on the subject as well as lots and lots of reading on BS, I finally wised up !!:yes!:
 
Great update! @Knitquilt
It sounds as though your recovery is really progressing.
I'm in agreement with you that if it wasn't for BS I would've struggled through PT also.
I attended three sessions and dropped it. I wasn't into doing clamshells and lifting weights with my legs!

My OS never implemented restrictions but after reading them over and over again, I pretty much
abided by them on my own. My OS advised to move slowly and thoughtfully and if any movement caused pain or was uncomfortable....STOP. Basically allow my body to guide me.

Like you....I more than likely will need my other hip done at some point. If the situation warranted, I can't say that I would have considered bi-lateral surgery. First.... many surgeons won't do it, mine being one of them. Second, it sounds scary to me. I'm just not that courageous. I give high praise to those who were brave enough!

Best wishes your recovery stays on the path it's on.
Wishing you a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Well, I’m 2 month’s post op and doing really well.

I do have one quick question-

When were you able to stoop down and get back up without help?

I was decorating our lamppost today, and stooped down without thinking - that was fine, but I couldn’t get up. Needed my husband to haul me back up. Taking a bath is fine, but again i need 2 grab bars in order to lift myself up.

I’m too young to feel like that woman in the commercial that says, “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!”:bath::swoon:
 
I still get some weakness sometimes...if I've been down a while, I need a pull up.
My quads are still recovering.
 
Hi @Knitquilt- I have just completely felt comfortable with that in past month or so. Don’t know if I am usual or not, or maybe I have just been in habit of having something nearby. Also, I have problems with my right hip so somethings my replaced hip is fine but the other one speaks up. Hoping after I have matched set they’ll play together well.
 
Hey @Knitquilt
Thought I'd stop by, say Hi and see how you're doing?
Crazy busy time of year for most.
I hope your recovery is still moving along smoothly.
Give us an update if you feel like it. Would love to hear from you!
Wishing you a great weekend :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for checking on me, @Layla! It’s will be 10 weeks tomorrow and I really should be better at updating. Even if it’s just a reminder for me when I do have my other hip done (hopefully, wwwway in the future!)

I have to say I have been struggling a bit. I’m pretty sure it’s just impatience, but I want to do everything I want, without having swelling and soreness. I can walk and do things in moderation, as long as I rest with my leg up periodically. Even a half hour car ride will have my thigh swelling, then slight pain that gets worse when I try to sleep at night.

I have to admit I’vE been busy with the holidays and doing what I can for a friend whose mother died last week.

Does anyone have an idea about when this will go away? I’m sure it’s different for everyone, but even when I sit (with my legs down) for an hour or two, I end up with swelling.

And Layla, you deserve a bouquet of these :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Knitquilt
It's so nice to read your update. Thank you for the pretty flowers!
I'm sorry you're struggling a bit. I think it wise we let @Josephine weigh in
on your pain and swelling issues. I've tagged her, she may have a few questions
so please check back. I bet she'll have some ideas on your pain source and a recommendation.
Hope you have a peaceful night.
Warm wishes for a great week and a :merry christmas:
 
I'm sure the over activity has much to do with the swelling. Mine would swell when I had been up all day for several months post op.
Back to the old ice!:ice:
Hope you have a Good Day.
 
@Knitquilt i bet if you really pay attention to what you are doing, that you are actually in your feet a lot more than you may realize. You are still in early stages of recovery so that may a bit much for your body to handle. Once the holidays are over and your life hopefully slows down a bit, I bet you will notice an improvement. In the meantime, ice and elevate when you can and periodically stop for a few minutes just to get off your feet. Sending you wishes for a very, very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy 2018!
:merry christmas:
 
I’m pretty sure it’s just impatience, but I want to do everything I want, without having swelling and soreness. I can walk and do things in moderation, as long as I rest with my leg up periodically. Even a half hour car ride will have my thigh swelling, then slight pain that gets worse when I try to sleep at night. Does anyone have an idea about when this will go away?
Sorry, no idea whatsoever! It has to be said you are only 10 weeks out so it's still very early days. I think you may just be expecting too much and doing too much.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
I think @GrannyC and @Mojo333 are right. Last week I had three really busy days in a row and it was unexpected and I couldn’t plan ahead so I baked 4 loaves of bread (2 lemon, 2 banana) and made a huge batch of cranberry pistachio biscotti one day, then went to a wake and funeral the next two days that were 40 minutes away. It took me days to recover and now that I’m moderately active and can plan ahead for holiday festivities I feel much better and my leg isn’t swollen.

I’m sure that after Christmas Eve I’ll be sore, but can take it much easier after that. I really want to participate in family games, etc. and not just be sitting on the couch observing.

I can be stubborn and impatient and those qualities don’t help the ole hip.

I think I’ll wait to see if things settle down after the holidays to see if I need to bother Jo with the questionnaire.

Thanks for the advice everyone and have a wonderful:tree: I do appreciate all of you - and I’d share some of my yummy baking with you if I could :):wave::loveshwr:
 
You were busy! @Knitquilt
It took me quite awhile to get comfortable in the car. I'd get jiggly and found it difficult to drive longer than about 30 mins. I used to bring a frozen gel pack and adjust it over my incision, under the seat belt. It really helped me.

Two 40 minutes car trips, two days in a row is a lot. Wakes and funerals can be draining too considering circumstances and how close you were to the person. I'm sure with all the baking you did you were on your feet for an extended period of time. Possibly if you can ice and rest up a bit leading into the holiday you'll fare better with all of the action and excitement.
Best wishes for a peaceful relaxing week and you're so nice I'll wish you :merry christmas: twice!!
 
My mouth was watering just reading your post.
I'm baking impaired :sigh:
I can make pigs in a blanket.
 
Love pigs in a blanket - do you mean ground beef wrapped in cabbage or hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls?
 
Isn't there also Sausage wrapped in Pancakes?
Lots of pigs wrapped in lots of different blankets :rotfl:
@Knitquilt
 
Ooh, that sounds delicious! We discovered pure maple syrup a few years ago- what a difference! I could eat breakfast all day!
 
Hi @Knitquilt
Wanted to say Hi.. and see how you're doing. I hope better.
Did you have a nice Christmas?
Snowing and cold today where I live. High of 10 degrees :groan:
Warm wishes for a great holiday weekend and a happy healthy 2018!
 
Do I take it you don't want me to post my questions for me? Just checking ....
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom