THR Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<

Jo, the screw doesn’t bother me, but if I had noticed it, I would have asked about it. It just seemed a little weird to me that something is now part of me that I didn’t know about. I really do like and trust my surgeon and think he did a terrific job - I definitely want him to do the other hip.

If I had my way, I would schedule the surgery now and hopefully be just fine for the wedding festivities, but my husband thinks I should wait. He’s been so great with my first surgery, I want to give him a break.

So... I will practice patience. When we know when the wedding date is and know how the hip is doing now that I’m really back to all my activities, I will have more information to make an informed decision.

Thanks, everyone - just call me nervous Nellie :sos:
 
@Layla. Absolutely love your attitude - that’s going to be my new motto -

I’d repeat it, but I’m a little frightened of Jo :yikes: Not really, but maybe a little...
 
I thought the same about the screws, knit. I wondered, did that one not fit as well...why two.
It is VERY common...and my OS said as I am young and active he wanted very secure. Makes sense that my hips probably had different wear patterns?
Regardless, I've seen lots of X-ray's with lots off screws.
Screwy nervous Nellie...:heehee:
 
So something like one of these?

[Bonesmart.org] Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<
[Bonesmart.org] Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<
 
Yes, like the one in the left X-ray as I look at screen. A bit higher up than the top one.only one though, not three!
 
Ah, well those are cerclage wires. Applied to either reinforce a crack in the bone or prevent one happening.
 
Thanks Josephine. You describing them did bring back something about small crack. I figure if I don’t see surgical equipment inside, everything else is there for a purpose. Only remember it’s there when I see X-rays.
 
It’s just so amazing to me- we have all this stuff in our bodies and don’t feel them at all! In fact we feel much better than before.
I see you had both hips done @MammaT . Was your recovery about the same for each?
 
My second hip is coming up February 5 @Knitquilt. Hoping second will be easier since joint has not yet collapsed completely and I know what to expect. I will keep you posted.

I agree about not feeling the stuff yet it does so much to help us feel better.
 
Good luck! I’ll be watching your recovery thread. I agree that preparing the house, etc. will be so much easier the second time around. Wow, Feb. 5 will be here before you know it!
 
I agree @Knitquilt that it's amazing we have these prosthetics and can't feel them.
I'm just beginning to forget on ocassion (I'm slow :heehee:) that I'm sportin a fake hip!
The wonders and benefits of Joint Replacement. We're blessed!
A great week to you!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<


I had my right hip replaced in October and that hip feels great! At that time, my left hip X-ray showed signs of needing replacement soon, but as I wasn’t in any pain, I haven’t done anything about it.

A few days ago I began having thigh pain (left leg) which quickly became worse. I hadn’t done any exercise or anything that would have caused me this pain - it came out of the blue! When I went to bed, I couldn’t walk up the stairs normally - one foot, then the other. I had an awful night - severe pain in my thigh - couldn’t sleep on that side, etc.

It’s now two days later and the pain is a little better, but I still can’t walk up stairs normally, and I have a little limp. This pain is so different from the pain I experienced with the other hip that I wonder if the pain is from my hip or something else.

@Josephine could you advise Is this a symptom of hip pain? I have an appt. with my PCP on Mon., but I would love your opinion.

The illustration above is where the pain is located.
 
Hi @Knitquilt
Sorry to hear you're struggling lately. Wondering if your other hip has progressed to the point
of needing replacement? I don't think there is any rhyme or reason as to progression
from what I've read here. I had my right replaced. My left (natural) hip is also arthritic. My OS told me I have "years" left before I'll need my second replaced. I didn't ask him to specify how many years, didn't want to know, dealing with one was enough. I've had several people tell me since then that progression can't be predicted. I did have thigh pain, running down to my knee in the last months leading up to THR. I don't think the pain you have with one, will necessarily be the same pain you'll have with the other.
Hopefully it abates and you have more time. Wishing you the best....Hope your day is good!
 
Can’t say I’m glad to be back on here, but it is really good to hear from you, Layla! I hope things are well with you!
 
Thanks! I'm doing well.
It's nice to hear from you also. Wish you didn't have pain though.
Hopefully you get answers very soon....
@Knitquilt
 
Tell me, are you differentiating between exercise and PT? Because to me they are both the same. So if you are truly not doing any exercise or PT, then I think you need a check xray and would be exceedingly obliged if you'd get a copy and post it on here for me.
 
No PT and minimal exercise - I have been walking on the treadmill in the past, but have not in the past two weeks.
I had an x- ray in January 24 on both hips when I saw my surgeon. I’ll post my X-ray from then.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom