Guest viewing is limited

THR Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<

Today I woke up for the first time since surgery and my leg felt normal - no pain, no tightness - it took me a few seconds to remember I shouldn't just hop out of bed!
Thank you for all your thoughtful replies re: outpatient PT. I saw the PT this morning, and she said that she is told to recommend outpatient PT to her clients, but off the record, she doesn't think I need it. I'm mostly walking without a cane in the house now and have no limp.

I meet a fellow "hippy" who was going to have his second THR with the same OS I have. He had a very noticeable limp and said with his first THR, he had to learn to walk normally again in outpatient PT. I'm not sure why I didn't have a limp (just a lot of bone-on-bone pain). I can understand how PT could be very helpful in his case, but for me, maybe not so much- at least for right now. If, at my Nov. 17 post-op visit with the PA, I thInk I need more PT, then I can ask for a referral at that time.

And I agree @Mojo333 and @Mscant, I can do the excercises at home, but mostly, I just want to increase my walks, because the ability to walk without pain, was my primary motivation for surgery. (And the ability to cut my own toenails!)
 
You will gradually find you can spend more time knitting , quilting or reading as time goes on. I think it was close to 2 weeks postop before I could get into reading a book. It is hard to explain but after reading on BS, I think it is a side effect of the anesthesia.

@GrannyC you always inspire me! Reading is gradually coming back, and I actually finished a book yesterday. It wasn't complex, but it held my interest - and I did it!!!

I have several knitting projects scattered where I can reach them, so perhaps that will be next!
 
@Knitquilt So happy you are seeing the benefits of this surgery. It IS amazing to have no pain.
Good job...if you do too much too quick, you will know it...I did.
Is just so exciting to feel so much better.:yahoo:
 
Best wishes for a great week @Knitquilt
Your recovery sounds like it's going well.
Keep up whatever your doing, it's working!
 
Hi @Knitquilt ,
You are a great cheerleader and supporter of others. Especially as you are so early in your own recovery.
Best wishes for a continued smooth sailing and a great rest of the week to you.
Happy healing!
 
Hi @Layla -I'm not sure if I ever thanked you for your support. You always seem so wise and always made me feel cared about - I'm grateful -
 
Thank You....you're so very kind!
 
Hi @Knitquilt This is the tough part. Hope you are managing okay.
Hopefully resting, icing and elevating.
Is gonna get easier....:console2:
 
@Knitquilt I haven’t seen anything from you for a bit so just wanted to drop in and see how you are doing. Are you finding you can start to stick with a project for a bit longer now? Hopefully you are seeing the progress and beforemyou know it, you’ll be walking around with no aids!
 
Hi @Knitquilt
Hope you're recovery is still moving along smoothly.
Three weeks today....it looks like. Amazing how time flies.
Just wanted to say, Hi....Hoping all is well and wishing you a great week of
progress and continued healing.
 
A quick update, thanks for asking @Layla @GrannyC and @Mojo333 . So far, my progress has been uneventful (don't want to jinx myself.) thanks to this forum and you all, I've really been pacing myself. I've been such a good student of Bone Smart! The teacher in me gives me an A!

I went out to eat with a friend today and I felt great - my first outing. Great crab cakes! I brought my cane, but feel like I carry it (like a scepter) more than use it.

The only thing I can't do is walk up and down stairs normally, but I'm confident that will come in time.

My biggest challenge is explaining to some people (SIL) why I'm not planning on going to outpatient PT when visits would be "free." I read on BS that the Mayo Clinic doesn't recommend PT after hip surgery, but I can't find any mention of this on Mayo's website.

And GrannyC, I'm reading, sewing and knitting, until my energy drains in late afternoon. I'll try to post a picture of what I'vebeen working on.
 
Great news, I give you an A+.
Crab cakes sound yummy.
I'm actually doing shrimp stir-fry this evening...seafood is the best.
 
Great update....you sound so good! @Knitquilt
First outings are wonderful, you feel part of world again.
Carrying the cane like a queen with her scepter is good!

Possibly consider telling friends and loved ones that you aren't ready for PT
right now and you'll go if / when you're ready. Once they see how well you're
doing maybe they'll get it and let up on you.
Best wishes for more of the same. Yay For You!!
 
My OS said we don't need PT for hip recovery. I did have a PT come to my home 3 times just after I got home. She mostly told me things I could do and showed me again how to do stairs, etc. but did very little actually PT. Then I went to a few outpatient sessions but only did the exercises when I was there. After my OS told me for the 2nd time that I didn't need PT, I stopped going. Now I feel better than I have in years and have more range of motion that prior to surgery. I'm still working on stairs. I can go down normally but need to hold the railing to go up normally and smoothly. I thought it might be because of my knees but PA at my visit last week said the muscles are probably just still weak from doing it incorrectly for so long and she thought it would improve with more time. She may be right as I think it is very gradually getting a tiny bit better.

I'm glad to hear you are back at your sewing machine again :yes!:
 
Hi @Knitquilt, I'm a week ahead of you (Oct 4th surgery) and also carrying the cane whilst walking! I take it just in case the ground is uneven but walk better without it. What I have noticed this week is my stride is longer and I am walking slightly faster.

I only tried stairs at the end of last week and find I can do a few steps up and down but can't do the whole flight just yet. I couldn't do stairs normally before surgery so happy to do this slowly and safely at the moment.

I haven't had any PT apart from an assessment last week. The physio was happy with the progress and didn't want to see me again.
 
@EmEm What a difference a day makes! Yesterday I could only do a few stairs normally and using a cane. Today I walked up the entire flight of stairs - without using the cane - ?????
Can't say I'll be able to do it again, tomorrow, but I'll take all the little victories I can. I started yelling to my husband to come quick and see - felt like a little kid!
And good for you - walking with a longer stride and faster! I still walk slowly and I know my stride is shorter. Isn't it amazing what our bodies can do week to week!

Are you taking any painkillers at night? Last night was the first night I didn't take Tramadal, and I awoke pretty achy, so I think I need to go back on it for the next few nights.
 
I’m still taking paracodol at night because I’m not sleeping well and don’t want to an achey hip to the misery!

Well done with the stairs. I’m nervous to step up with my operated hip because pre surgery it was the worst pain ever. I used to go up on my hands and knees to avoid putting weight on it. That’s OK at home but not in the middle of a store!
 
Back
Top Bottom