THR Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<

Here’s the x-ray @Josephine At that time the surgeon said I would need hip replacement sometime on the left. I wasn’t in pain (except a little when I slept on it at night) so I didn’t think it would be so soon.
From Jan. 24, 2018

[Bonesmart.org] Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<
 
Honey, it's not big enough. I need an image that is at least 1,000 pixels wide and high
 
That's still too small. It's only 300 pixels each side. I need at least 1,000.
 
@Josephine last try- I think I got it
Taken Jan. 24 when my surgeon checked my right hip replacement at my 4 month visit

[Bonesmart.org] Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<
 
And now I have noticed swelling on the inside of my knee. Could that be related to my hip? Glad I have an appointment with my doctor this afternoon!
 
Hi @Knitquilt
Thinking of you as you go off to your appt today.
Give us an update later if you feel like sharing.
Hope you have a good visit with the OS....wishing you the best!
 
Layla, I went to my primary care doctor today. He said the swelling on the inside of my knee looks like bursitis, although my knee doesn’t hurt at all. The pain is in the front of my thigh, sometimes radiating up to my hip.

He said to rest, elevate, and ice - now where have I heard that before!

He said he couldn’t rule out my hip causing the pain, but he didn’t think so. I also went for blood work to test for Lyme and to detect inflammation.

I just remember my “old” aunts limping around because of bursitis - oy!!
 
Hi @Knitquilt
Well...let's hope the swelling and pain soon eases and doesn't return. Hope the icing and elevation helps.
Prayers you don't have Lyme's, please keep us posted.
Wishing you a peaceful pain free week.
 
He said the swelling on the inside of my knee looks like bursitis, although my knee doesn’t hurt at all. The pain is in the front of my thigh, sometimes radiating up to my hip.
That's very confusing! Care to tell me where this (these) pain(s) are using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<


As for your left hip, yes, definitely needs attention!

[Bonesmart.org] Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<


The white line indicated by the red arrow shows sclerotic or dead bone which is caused by arthritic changes.
The place where the blue arrows are pointing shows no joint space and an irregular femoral head surface.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<


The green circle is where the swelling is, and the red indicates pain. My knee doesn’t hurt at all. The pain in my thigh has lessened since last Thursday night when it began. Pain level Thursday - 7, pain today - 2-3

I also went for blood work to test for Lyme and inflammation.

Jo, I’m wrestling with the decision to have the left hip replaced soon because it really doesn’t hurt except at night. If I knew the hip WAS causing my thigh pain, that would make my decision much easier. My son is getting married in about a year (no date yet) which is making this decision so much more difficult.

I very much appreciate your thoughts-
 
The green circle is where the swelling is, and the red indicates pain.
Okay, I get it now! I'm pleased to hear it lessening but what had you been doing when it started (in the quads) - no walking or hiking? Anything like that?

The bursa is explainable - we have bursae all over our bodies and sometimes these little fluid filled sacs get inflamed and angry. Perfectly normal. Some NSAIDs and rest, maybe a bit of icing, will soon see it resolve.

[Bonesmart.org] Knitquilt’s little bumpy recovery<
 
I’ve been racking my brain and can’t think of any reason why it swelled - no exercise, no more walking than usual, no bumping into anything.

Do you think the thigh pain was from the bursa swelling? So my hip probably wasn’t the reason?
 
Thanks so much, Jo! It makes me feel like I have some more time with this hip - finger’s crossed!
 
@Knitquilt Great to read that your LTHR went so well, although you had terrible nausea post op. Great that that LHR is almost a forgotten thing. So sorry your right leg has had some pain, but good to read that the pain has lessened and you will hopefully have more time on that hip. So hard to plan these things, particularly when you have wonderful family celebrations coming up! Keeping :fingersx: and :angel: for that RH to behave as necessary to be able to dance at your son's wedding :SUNsmile:

Thank you for your comments on my pre-op threads, much appreciated. I really want to get this surgery done, as the OA in my hips has narrowed my world so much in the last two - three years. It is painful, my back is killing me and I'm totally fed up to be honest! I am soooo grateful I can have this surgery and get both hips done at once...as they are neck and neck in terms of OA! I have my fearful moments, but still have my surgical pre-op and anaesthesia pre-op, where I hope my remaining questions will be answered and fears allayed. Looking at the road post-surgery, I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel looks long!! I am not good at long-term projects, so the rehab will be a test of patience for sure. I don't have any other choice, and I've read so many posts about slow and steady wins the race, and not wanting to be in the ODIC (as it takes forever to sort that out), that I MUST pay attention!

I think we will have to have a Vancouver reunion with my fellow west coast hippy when you come out to visit your daughter! I'm over on Vancouver Island, but once recovered from my surgery, would love to come over for a day or so and meet up for coffee or lunch. My daughter is working outside of Vancouver at the moment, but may well be back down town by the time we organize a BS reunion. The trip from the island to Vancouver is much like the trip from Boston to Martha's Vineyard. The ferry ride here is longer I think. It has been a long time since visiting my sister on the Vineyard!

My Mum was from the NY area, and I have five US first cousins scattered around New England!

Sending tons of positive thoughts on that tricky RH!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Alitm - my daughter and her boyfriend backpacked on Vancouver Island a few months ago and sent us many pictutes - so beautiful there!
I have to say that I always thought I was a patient person, but rehab for my first hip seemed to take so long before I felt able to do the things I wanted - maybe 3 months to feel almost my old self?? My surgery was Oct. 10 and I was able to have Christmas at my house with decorations and guests, etc.

I do envy you having the two hips done at once - it will be more difficult in the beginning, but then you’ll be done!
We will definitely have to cheer each other on! I’ve been preparing and freezing meals for my second surgery a few days before yours. So far I’ve made a ton of sauce, frittatas, and toll house cookies!

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Have you tried a heating pad? After surgery I iced, iced, iced, but find now that when the pain is really bad, heat helps soothe it more than any meds.

Good luck with your pre-op appointments - I have mine this Thursday and Friday.
 
Hi @Knitquilt, yes we have to cheer each other on! I got totally confused by one of your posts and thought that you were holding out on the second surgery, then realized you are going for number 2 surgery close to mine! Perhaps I hadn't had enough caffeine this AM or something:doh:!

Three months seems quite reasonable to feel reasonable again! I am encouraged by that feedback thank you! I was off work for three months (had to do a lot of rest and being flat for the first month) after slipping a disc in my lower back in my early twenties. I really have no idea what to expect with this bilateral surgery....everyone seems so different, so will be trying my best to be patient! I figure the first two weeks will be brutal and anything better than that will be delightful!! It will be all about managing pain, icing and taking my stool softeners :heehee: I am not looking forward to that delightful side effect of the pain meds!:groan:

At the moment the heating pad is my best friend for sure! I go to bed with it, across my backside, hip to hip, every night! Sleeping is not great, and I wish my recliner that I ordered would arrive soon! It is supposed to show up right before my surgery date. I wanted a different colour other than what was available. Silly me.

Good luck with your appointments this week! I have surgical pre-op tomorrow and the anesthetist the following week.
 
Yay for scheduling that hip, @Knitquilt and am happy to see you on the forum...missed you.
You may have been able to hold out but being in pain...even mostly just at night...not what you deserve.
My son is getting married next year also!
I am glad I won't be the limping sad mess I was over a year ago!
Will be thinking of you as you await your LAST hip getting sorted!
Hope today is a Good Day!
 
Hip #2 coming right up.
Only three weeks till double hippie status.
It's nice to have you back. Glad you're posting, you know we're here for you.
Let us know how the pre-op appointments at the end of the week go.
Wishing you comfort as you await your date.
@Knitquilt
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom