TKR Knit2tog's Journey to Better Knees

@knit2tog, I have more back pain and sciatic pain than I do knee pain. I didn't realize it till I stopped and really analyzed what was hurting. I was having a hard time with pain control but not knees! What is nerve floss technique? I have found that a neuro orthopedic massage therapist is helping with the back as well as PT 3 days a week.
 
Hooray with the mental and physical improvement! A positive attitude is really helpful in this recovery.
 
@becticu This is the video I used although there are other if you search YouTube. I do it a couple of times a day. I feel it has helped.

 
@knit2tog, I was just catching up with your thread. I have such brain fog I had forgotten I asked you what nerve floss was AND then somehow missed your reply. I have bookmarked the site and getting ready to check it out! Thanks! I hope you are having a good July 4th holiday!
 
@becticu I hope you find it helpful. I don't know if it really works or it is working on a psychological level because I am doing something to help.
 
Five weeks ago I met my new knee. This week I transitioned from the walker to the cane (and some times unaided around the house). I probably could have done it earlier, but I was chicken. PT is going well. He is seeing progress and I am as well. He is respecting my boundaries in therapy. My knee pain is very minimal. If I have pain, it usually comes from my back (Sciatic area) or pressure points on my heels. Progress doesn't happen daily, but I can definitely look back over the week and see positive steps. I am doing more around the house and it makes me feel more normal. I have been missing "normal".
 
So glad you are feeling back to "normal" - and great progress moving to the cane. I think you will find it aids in your gait. Ain't it grand to feel like you are making progress? Darn that sciatica --- I really feel for those of you who have it chronically. I get it occasionally - particularly after long car rides but it's not chronic. Enjoy these new feelings of normalcy!
 
That's great news to read. 5 weeks for me today aswell. I'd say biggest noticeable change for me is lying on my tummy/ no problem turning around in bedand being able to climb the stairs -holding on. But yet!
I do have muscles pain but am told it's to be expected.
Continued healing to us!:cheers:
 
Great getting off of the walker! I was slow getting off of mine. I was OK around the house where I could hold on to things, but away from my security zone, I used the walker for about 6 weeks. I never did do crutches. I just went to the cane. I suggest if you are in crowds, to use the walker unless you're really secure on your new knee.
 
Recovery on your own terms. A cane is so much more independent than a walker. You'll know when you're ready to go without it. One day you'll just realize you walked across a room without it. You might even misplace it and wonder how that happened. It's normal.
 
Susie is correct! I found my cane outside yesterday - can't remember when I left it there. Obviously I didn't feel like I needed it.
 
You are doing so good for 5 weeks! Before you know it, you'll forget where that cane is!
 
Hmm, cane? What cane? Oh yeah...it's in my car! Yours will be too, very soon!

Who knew how fabulous it can be to just engage in few basic activities, eh? Enjoy each slice of normalcy as you would an ice-cream sundae, and get ready, 'cuz more is coming.:yes!:
 
Week 6 is here! This past week I ventured out to knit group, went out to dinner, and took a short trip to Target (used the motorized cart). It felt so good to get out. I am not using the cane at all at home. I am doing more around the house with no complaints from the knee. I am almost completely off of the Percoset. I did need to use half a pill yesterday after PT. Tomorrow I have my appointment with my OS and my PT wanted to get current ROM numbers. I am at 0-90, but it was a push (not literally :smile2:) to get there. I didn't want to get the "face" from the OS. I don't know where the OS wants me to be at this point, but I didn't want to give him any ammo. I am feeling good today to no ill effects from the push. Weeks 5 and 6 have definitely been dramatically different from the first 4. I am looking forward with a positive attitude. Now if I can get better sleep! :bored:
 
Most OS want 90 degrees at 6 weeks, so you are in good shape!
 
And if he's not fine with it, just put on your most earnest face and swear you will work really hard on getting more ROM. You don't have to tell him how. That buys you time and time is what gets your ROM anyway. :heehee:
 
Remember that you are in charge of what happens to your knee! Time is your best friend.
 
Your range sounds awesome to me! And congrats on getting out of the house - I expect it felt great to get back to the knitting group. Good luck with the OS tomorrow - he should be mighty pleased with your progress.
 
This is a great 6 week report! Your OS should be perfectly fine with 90 degree flexion and you should be very pleased as well. I'm so glad to hear that you also experienced the rather remarkable improvements that seem to occur for many during weeks 5-6! And, getting those pieces of your life back? Priceless!:happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom