TKR Knit2tog's Journey to Better Knees

Wow, that must've been pretty dramatic, probably their excitement for the day! I'm laughing at your *need to stir things up!*:heehee:
 
Congrats on getting rid of the stitches, I hope your daughter has recovered as well as you have!
I am one week ahead of you in recovery and can report my stamina has increased in the last week and my sleep has improved too. Still icing and elevating several times a day but when I'm up I can stay up for anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. I even cooked dinner last night AND made dessert much to my husbands delight! (But I mostly take it easy!)
Cheers and continued success!
 
@Pheebs52 I am not one for dramatics, maybe my body had other plans :egypdance: Sometimes my lack of control over this journey frustrates me at times.

@keefsmom Thank you for the encouraging words. You are doing fantastic with your recovery.:spin:
 
I'm glad you are OK. I bet those in the office couldn't wait to get home and their loved ones about your 'incident'!
 
Week Three brought an end to at home PT with outside PT beginning on Wednesday. I have more energy this week as well. Worry and a bit of weepiness crept in this week with me stressing over my bend. I was able to get 90 degrees twice, but since then no higher than 80. I hate that MUA is thrown around like a threat. :shocked: I haven't heard it yet, but it worries me that many have. All I can do is my best and remind myself of that daily. This forum has been a life saver in so many ways. I am taking 1 Percocet every 6 hours and will continue to test extending the time slowly. Ice and elevation continue to be my two best friends along this journey. :ice:
 
@knit2tog, I hope your surgeon has the same perspective as mine when it comes to ROM. As you know, mine has been dismal in the flexion area, just 78 at best, but my surgeon felt that was completely *normal* at 3 weeks post-op and was certain I would have no trouble reaching the desired goal of 100 (his number) within about 8 weeks.

The worry and weepiness seem to go together, so whatever you can do to relax right now would be very beneficial. I also felt as if I had the black cloud of MUA doom over my head until I had that very reassuring visit with my surgeon. So much of this recovery is just out of our hands and that can be such a disturbing premise if we allow it to be. Just before my visit to the OS, I came to realize that if I should ultimately need an MUA it's not the end of the world. It really isn't. Our knees rule, and in the end, we can only do our best and hope for the best.

Big hugs to you today!:friends:
 
Try not to fret over mua. My surgeon told me yesterday that he doesn't expect his patients to have ROM 90 until week 6. He said each knee is different and that usually with some patience and perserverence everyone gets there. Needless to say. I love him!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
@knit2tog, did you realize that you are stressing over your bend? Stress slows down healing. If you are pushing to get to 90, then you are not helping yourself. Just relax and let it happen. You can NOT force it. Your knee is in control and it will happen only when it's ready to happen! Please stop worrying so much!
 
What sistersinhim wrote. That said, I understand the worry.:sad: I do that too. Today I did it again. Also did talking to self.:whistle:
 
You are doing great. Just keep hanging in there--and come here when you need a boost. :)
 
@knit2tog The advice to not stress about ROM is wise but I suspect hard to follow, especially when there are a lot of people giving "warnings." This PT who came to see me yesterday for my initial eval gave that spiel about the window of opportunity then paused and said that ROM can continue to improve for a long time--it will come.
 
How many of you have asked their physiotherapists if they have watched a TKR operation? In real life, not on YouTube....And if you have asked, how many have answered that they have?
I believe that there must be a correlation to how much PTs force one to bend etc, etc and how much sympathy they have after watching such a procedure. (Perhaps watching a film does count a bit)
 
@VW54 I might ask that question at my next PT appt. I know he knows the mechanics of what is done, but I wonder if he has seen what happens outside of the textbook. Great idea!
 
@knit2tog, ask your PT not to measure you at each visit or even weekly. I find not knowing the present numbers to be such a relief! Mine haven't been measured in two weeks and I've almost (not quite) forgotten what they were. Instead of fretting over them, I am enjoying my PT saying things like, "Wow, you're gait is much better today." Or, "You'll be driving very soon." He focuses on function instead of numbers and that's been a huge blessing for me. :SUNsmile:
 
I don't want my PT to measure each visit. I rather judge my recovery on what I am able to do. For example I can walk without an aid in my house or I can now do my laundry. I don't care about the number at all.
 
@knit2tog, love your profile picture. I love to knit as well but haven't had much time for it with work before surgery. After surgery my brain couldn't handle knitting!

Concerning flexion, my left knee did great and I have 128. My right knee is 63 giving it everything I have and after a good stretch and warmup. Even in our own bodies each knee is different! I too want to avoid that MUA that gets thrown around.
 
Today is the beginning of Week 5. I have less pain and swelling and have more energy. I have been having some issues with my Sciatic Nerve and have tried the nerve floss technique to help with that. Less pain in that area today. I started outside PT and it went well. I lost a bit of sleep worrying about it, but I made it into a bigger thing than it turned out to be. I feel I am turning a corner or close to it as I feel this week I have seen the most progress physically and mentally. :happydance:
 
Week 5 is a kind of turning point for many of us, isn't it? That was when I first started to feel "myself" again and to get on better terms with my new knees. We began to get in synch. It takes time. Each new week, though, brings noticeable progress! Much prefer this stage of recovery to that difficult first stage.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom