TKR knee's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that this finds you better. I know that this early you aren't feeling the best anyway but do remember you are a little weak and that this will pass. Please keep us informed how you are doing and let us know how you are feeling. Make sure you rest. Take care. Tashia
 
Thank you everyone! I had a slight fever last night and the dr called in a antibiotic for me. I'm pretty sure it's just a virus because my whole family has it and they don't have a fever. But sure glad to get the antibiotics as a safeguard :)
 
How are you feeling. Did the cold go away? It has been a few days since your last post. Just checking to see how you are. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks leejaa for checking on me :) I still have a bad chest cold, coughing so much. Such a bummer that I got this cough it gives me something extra to worry about. I am doing pretty well though with pain. I take the Percocet on time and my pain is minimal. Feel blessed about that. Also sleeping well at night. I think the meds are helping me a lot. I elevated my leg every chance I get and have my ice cuff on all the time unless I'm up. I do my exercises most the time but sometimes I only do 50% of what she tells me. My rom is 90 (with push) my extension is 12. I kind of worry that the meds might kill me lol I take 1 or 2 percocets every 5 hours. I wonder if that amount can cause overdose? The meds do scare me. I can't wait to see my surgeon next Thursday. I want someone to take a look at my incision. I changed it myself and I thought it looked horrific! I still can't believe they had me change the bandage and no one has ever checked it since the surgery. Worry worry worry lol take care leejaa!
 
That is wonderful that you can sleep at night and your pain is under control. It is quite OK not to do all the exercises at this early stage especially as you are still fighting the cold. I would not worry too much about the pain meds and overdosing if you are taking them as prescribed - they would not prescribe an amt that would cause an overdose. It is hard not to worry when everything is the unknown but I am sure you will do great- you already are doing great. Take care. :flwrysmile:
 
I know everyone on the forum says the pt should not push your leg to pain. Are there many pts that don't hurt you or do most do that horrible push to get rom? I don't mind mild pain but it really hurts when she does that. I'm ending in home pt today and starting out patient next week. I just am hoping that that is not the norm but is it? I have a hard time speaking up. I'm praying I get someone that does not push the leg to pain.
 
A lot of physiotherapists will try to push you until it hurts, unfortunately. You mustn't allow them to. It will cause you unnecessary pain, it won't improve your progress and it may even slow down your recovery. Your job is to speak up for your knee and for yourself.

I know that you said you find it hard to speak up, but in this case you must. Remember that these people work for you, not the other way round. It is your body and your knee and they are not allowed to do anything to you without your consent. They're not the boss - you are! Tell them up front, right from the start, that you will not put up with them doing anything to cause you more than discomfort. Lay down your rules, right from the start. If you can, have someone there with you, to back you up and for moral support.

Best wishes!
 
Thanks celle, I'm going to do that right from the start next week. If I wait till it's happening it will be harder to stop. I'll tell them from the start I don't want my leg pushed to pain. I've got to get brave and stand up for myself. It's just that my pt was a really nice lady, if she was not nice I would have had an easier time speaking up. She told me yesterday she got my rom to 100 but that it would regress quickly if I didn't work hard. Does it regress quickly? I'm so exhausted today and I did some exercises but I'm afraid if she's right my numbers will fall :( so stressful. I'm glad for a new start next week. Thanks again celle :)
 
Not in the way you mean. But what does happen is that if/when the leg is pushed so hard, it reacts with more pain and swelling which in turn does limit the ROM. Cause and effect. Read these articles I've left here, specially the ones I've marked in bold font

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

And don't forget the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
 
Thanks Josephine I just finished reading them. Good info
 
Dont be afraid take extra vit C zinc and vitamin E.I take a lot of vitamin D and fish oil capsules omega3 to help heal my leg. that canthurt. sleep well and rest.
 
Just wondering about pain meds. I'm almost 3weeks and I am taking 1 Percocet every 6 hours plus 1celebrex a day. I have very minimal pain. What is the average length of time people take percocet? Should I be weaning myself off it? What is your experience with how long you took narcotics? I just really need a guideline. Would be so grateful to hear other peoples experience on this. Thanks friends :)
 
People titrate their drugs down when they have less pain. I know I need less pain medication when the side effects seem to get stronger. You might try half a pill and see how that works. Everyone is different. I was on percocet for 6 months; I have a friend who took no narcotics because he had almost no pain (just the way he's wired).
 
It's been 3 weeks now and I had my first outpatient pt. She was gentle and seemed very knowledgable. My rom was only 80 and my extension was 15. I don't think that is good :( I am a little worried. My knee was so bad and crooked for years. I hope it will straighten and bend. She said I had a lot of work to do. Did anyone here have that low of rom at 3 weeks and did you get better? Was it difficult? Thanks for any info :) kind of depressing
 
[Bonesmart.org] knee's recovery thread
knees, it's going to take a lot of TIME and PATIENCE on your part to get those muscles, tendons, and ligaments stretched back out into a normal position---but they will get there. Just know that we are here for you for the long haul and will be cheering you all the way down the long road to recovery. We'll share all your ups and your downs---and we won't let you give up.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] knee's recovery thread
 
Thanks bottomshollow I just hope I do improve I am afraid of having a mua later. Would you change my thread title to knee's recovery thread. Thanks so much!
 
I have a question :) is there a rom number you can get to where they no longer will do a mua? Is it 90? 100? I don't want a mua and I'm scared about it all the time. I still have one more knee to have done and I don't want to offend the surgeon so I know I won't fight him on anything. If this was my only knee and it was finished I would not be worried. I would just say no but don't want to get him mad at me. I know that sounds silly. I don't see him for 4 more weeks and he hasn't mentioned mua but because I'm doing so poorly it worries me. I am 4 weeks out and my rom is only 88 :( my leg is not really swollen. My pt says everything is really tight. I'm doing my exercises and still not improving. I also can't straighten my knee, it's at 15. The only time I have pain is when the pt pushes my leg to bend it. Other than that I have very minimal pain. Before surgery I was in extreme pain for 2 years so I am very happy now except for the worry about bending.
 
I don't think you really need to worry about a mua---we have had lots of people here who have had them and the usual response is that it was not as bad as they thought!! I also think that a rom of 88 is not that bad for three weeks out. I also don't think your doc will get mad if, for instance, you ask him to wait a few weeks for a MUA. But, I am going to tag a few people who might have a better answer for you. Josephine, maryo52
 
Thanks skigirl! I appreciate your kindness :) thanks for responding
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom