TKR knee's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes listen to the wisdom of skigirl and others here. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Deep breath!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Generally speaking, surgeons won't do an MUA once ROM has reached 100. But you are only 4 weeks out and too early to be worrying about this. On the other hand, do remember that your surgeon can do nothing to you without your written consent. So if he were to suggest it, just say "weeell, I hear what you're saying but I'd really rather wait a bit longer". If you don't sign, he can't do it.
my leg is not really swollen. My pt says everything is really tight.
You keep saying this and I keep saying it's contradictory. Things being 'really tight' means there IS swelling and swelling is a manifestation of pain. Therefore you need to take your pain pills and follow the mantra. Remember that? And get that silly idea that you have no swelling out of your head because it's not true. :no-fin: :)
 
I do understand that even though I don't look swollen it can be internal. Thanks for the info I didn't know that. I have one more question for anyone who might know. When I had in home pt she always measured me as I sat in a chair. She was able to get my rom to 95-100 that way. But now in out patient pt they only measure me laying on table. My rom is way worse laying down. Which is the true measurements? Is laying down the best way to measure? I'm thinking maybe the in home pt just didn't measure right. I was very happy with her measuring haha :) anyone have an answer I would really appreciate it. Thanks
 
There are several ways to measure. My pt always measured me lying on a table with my knee up. I think that is a little more accurate that the sitting measure---but, don't get caught up in the measuring game!! Rom cointinues to improve for up to a year.
 
Ok thanks skigirl I'll try :)
 
Well here's my 4 week update. My rom is now 90 degrees with hard pushing. I go to out patient pt 2 times a week. My new knee is awesome and I love it. My other knee is really awful and needs replacement probably this summer. At pt she has me on a recumbent stepper for 8 minutes. Which causes my unoperated knee to hurt so much I can barely walk the next day. I wonder if I can have successful rehab with a bad knee that I can't walk on or do a bike? If only I could have had a bilateral tkr. Oh well it is what it is. I am blessed and happy with the new knew that's for sure. Overall my new knee has little pain and feels strong. Just needs to bend more :) I limp terribly because of the bad knee and now my back is hurting a lot. I know it will all get worked out especially after my next tkr. Well that's it for now :) did anyone rehab with a bad knee and how did it go?
 
Remember, don't let anyone hurt you. Simply tell the pt that the stepper bothers your back. Of course you could ride a bike or do something else that strengthens the quads---a pt should have a large bag of tricks and should be very sensitive to making another body part hurt.

I am going to give you a library article on some other exercises for your quad.

Exercises for TKRs: do-it-yourself exercises from basic to advanced
 
Thanks skigirl! I am having a few worries and hope someone can reassure me :) I'm 7 weeks now and really haven't had a lot of pain. But yesterday I started having a sharp pain when I put any weight on my leg. Standing and walking I get this pain.The pain is on the inside near the kneecap. This is the second day I've had it. On Monday the pt had me do a lot of machines with weights. I didn't hurt that day but pain started the next. Can doing exercises on a machine (sit on machine and push against a metal plate with weights) cause damage to my new knee? Feel so worried. I'm not sure that caused it but I haven't had any sharp pains when standing till now. I know aches and throbbing are normal but what about a sharp pain when bearing weight? I'm going to rest all day today and ice/elevate. I think I will cancel pt too. Hoping to hear if any bone smarties have had this type of pain.
 
It's been 3 weeks now and I had my first outpatient pt. She was gentle and seemed very knowledgable. My rom was only 80 and my extension was 15. I don't think that is good :( I am a little worried. My knee was so bad and crooked for years. I hope it will straighten and bend. She said I had a lot of work to do. Did anyone here have that low of rom at 3 weeks and did you get better? Was it difficult? Thanks for any info :) kind of depressing

I hope you won't worry to much about your ROM. At 3 weeks I was at 70 degrees of flexion. I am about 85 now at 4-1/2 weeks. I spent the first three weeks miserable, crying and swearing I would never do this again and it was a big mistake. I'm feeling a little better about all of it now which gives me hope that like the other fine people on this site there may be daylight at the end of this dark tunnel.
Just do one day at a time, icing and elevating and gentle stretching. It seems to be the key. Boredom and frustration, worry and misery are the biggest foes we're fighting.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I am having a few worries and hope someone can reassure me :) I'm 7 weeks now and really haven't had a lot of pain. But yesterday I started having a sharp pain when I put any weight on my leg. Standing and walking I get this pain.The pain is on the inside near the kneecap. This is the second day I've had it. On Monday the pt had me do a lot of machines with weights. I didn't hurt that day but pain started the next. Can doing exercises on a machine (sit on machine and push against a metal plate with weights) cause damage to my new knee? Feel so worried. I'm not sure that caused it but I haven't had any sharp pains when standing till now. I know aches and throbbing are normal but what about a sharp pain when bearing weight? Every step hurts. Hoping to hear if any bone smarties have had this type of pain.
 
I doubt if you have done any damage but it sounds as though your PT might have overdone things by doing "a lot of machines with weights" so early in your recovery. Is your knee more swollen since the PT?

I also found that I got more nerve pains around this time caused by the nerves that were cut during surgery healing

I will tag the fourm nurse Josephine who can give you more expert advice
 
Thanks puffin I just got very anxious worrying my implant was damaged. Having a panic attack I think. I think the pt overdid it too. I hope that is all it is. Can't hardly walk across the room. Painful and scaring me.
 
knees I would do my best to get in touch with my doc if I was that worried, if only to set your mind at ease. I agree with puffin that you probably overdid it. Also, ice and elevate as much as you can. I would not sit with panic attacks the entire weekend though. You might want to call your doc and see what he/she says.

Keep us posted. I hope you feel better soon. :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
My dr is hard to get a hold of. I have only seen him a few times and for all of 5 minutes each time. I called once when I was worried about something early on and got the brush off from his helper. If it continues then I will start calling and pushing. But hoping rest will make it better. Was just really wondering if anyone else had new sudden sharp pain after 6 weeks? It does not feel like nerve pain. To me more muscle or ligament. Anyone have this later in recovery? I guess I want so bad to hear its normal
 
Hard to think about it this way after we've gotten used to babying our knees for so long prior to a TKR, but once you are on "the other side", hurting the implant is probably #100 (maybe #500) on the list of possibilities. Think about it, if everyone who used a leg press hurt their implant, imagine how many of us would be in pain and walking funny again. Myself included.:)

Do take it easy. Their are plenty of ways to strengthen muscles without the leg press; like walking.... or clam shells... or leg lifts. There are exercise suggestions in our library HERE that are wonderful.

But it sounds like waaaaaaaay too much PT way too soon. Tell your PT next time that you are there for healing, not hurting. PT should never hurt; don't be pushed into anything and if your PT feels differently, find a new one.
 
Thanks Elisea you just made my day :)
 
I'm 7 weeks now and really haven't had a lot of pain.
But you have had pain - remember I spoke with you about that before? Pain includes soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. You said you had stiffness - that's a form of pain.
But yesterday I started having a sharp pain when I put any weight on my leg. On Monday the pt had me do a lot of machines with weights
:doh: At 7 weeks? Give me strength! That's not an activity you should be doing at 7 weeks. Keep it for 12-14 weeks at the earliest.
Can doing exercises on a machine (sit on machine and push against a metal plate with weights) cause damage to my new knee?
It won't damage the implants but it will damage the soft tissues - meaning ligaments, tendons and muscles.

Where you have described are structures called the medial patello-femoral ligament (orange) and the pes anserinus (blue). Both these are attached to the quads and easily get unduly strained when using this machine - the result is called tendinitis

[Bonesmart.org] knee's recovery thread
[Bonesmart.org] knee's recovery thread



For now, do no exercises at all and rest, ice and take your pain meds! It's not an easy condition to get resolved.
 
Thanks Josephine that was great information. I appreciate it. I going to have to speak up at my next pt.
 
rehab with a bad knee and how did it go?
Did ok except that I am limping and having pain in both knees. Right knee was done on the 7th of Oct. Didn't go to out patient therapy because I was sick and only had 3 week to go before surgery on left knee. Will be having surgery on left knee on Dec. 9th. He is also going to manipulate right knee at that time. That knee is very tight and hurts. 6 1/2 week check up my knee could not flatten to touch table. Doctor didn't push it. I don't think home pt got and accurate measure when holding it so tight and measuring it. After surgery on left knee I will have home pt again till staples get removed then water therapy to get both knees working together. I do hope they will give me enough pain medicine as I am only on tylenol and icing all the time. I will be following your thread. Keep up the good work.
 
Well this rehab is killing my bad knee. Since they have me doing machines my bad knee is suffering so much. I don't get it fixed till next July. I am going to tell her no more machines. I tried hinting telling her my bad knee hurts when I do the machines but she said it's better to get it stronger for the surgery. I don't think so, it's making me crippled. My new knee is feeling better today. I can't wait for pt to be over. Only 2more weeks! Hallelujah!! I still only bend 95 degrees and my straightening is a bad 8. But I'm not an athlete and am thrilled to be able to walk with no pain. I'm sure more bending will come in time but if I wasn't stressed about what the pt or dr thinks I would not be concerned at all. Pat you are so blessed to get your other knee done so soon. I sure wished I had done them both at the same time. I'll be watching your thread and praying for you. I don't know how you get by with only Tylenol. I'm still taking Vicodin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom