TKR knee's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home and doing so much better. I am now taking Celebrex once a day and 2 Percocet every 4-6 hours. Pain is under control :) I still have a hard time putting weight on leg, walking is difficult. It's only been 3 days so I'm hoping that's normal. I have a question/!concern. I just noticed a few small blisters under knee (behind) I am using cold therapy iceman a lot could that be cause? Should I be worried? I showed to nurse before I left the hospital and she wasn't concerned. She just said to try not to pop the blisters but gave no explanation. Gosh another thing to worry about. Anyone else have this happen? Thanks everyone for your comments :) I read them all and it helped me. What a great place and kind people. Brings so much comfort and info. Thanks again :)
 
What is the status on your pain? I have had the same problem and know that trying to communicate this to a dr or nurse can be impossible. And we are at their mercy which is both frustrating and humiliating. Bless you
 
The pain is better now, at least when I am sitting or laying down I am comfortable, that is a great improvement. But walking or getting up hurts a lot. Probably a 6 or 7. Is that normal for first few days? Also I'm worried because I saw a few small blisters under my knee (underside) is it from the icing? That's got me worried, now I'm afraid to use my ice machine. Another problem is the Ted hoses they are cutting off my circulation. I felt a burning pain in my leg and i saw where the hose was making a deep indent into my leg. Any suggestions for the hose and blister worries? Thanks friends :)
 
Knees: SO glad that your pain is under control, at least while sitting and resting. I experienced pain wen standing/walking for the first couple of weeks. A lot of it was due to a "blood rush" feeling from sitting/laying down to the standing position. Horrible pain for a minute or so them goes down. So sorry but I cannot help you on the blisters, need an expert or someone with experience to chime in. I am certain someone will respond soon. The ted hose are super important and should feel tight but shouldn't cut off the circulation. There are different sizes, but it really is important to have them tight. Wishing you the VERY best as you navigate the start of your recovery. Stay positive!
 
I am going to tag Jo for the definitive word on the blisters---but, my husband is allergic to the Betadine--the orange stuff--they put on your knee in surgery. He needs to scrub off every single bit of it---but, he also gets blisters from it.

Second, the ted hose is supposed to prevent dvt's not cause them!!! My hose were too loose and kept falling over the top and then they also got wrinkles in them. I finally threw them into the trash can, which was a great feeling!!!
 
Thanks ski girl I would love to throw mine away!!! They are trouble lol they hurt me. I just took them off for the night and it's heaven :) thanks for the tip about the blisters, makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who has blisters. I am feeling better and stronger today :)
 
knees First of all, congratulations on haven gotten thru your surgery and the first few days. Those are the hardest, and it does get better, albeit at its own pace! Patience is really and truly the KEY word! Just keep taking your pain meds, and with time, patience, ice and elevation, things WILL get better! I am 4 months out of having bilateral knee replacement and i started work, full time, 3 weeks ago.

Secondly, I had the exact same blisters you are talking about in 2 spots. One smaller one of the outer part of my left calf, and a large one on the inner part of my left calf. The outer one popped on its own pretty early on, but the inner one, lasted about 2 weeks before it went away on its own. I made sure to put cream on it and covered it with light gauze at first. Once it looked like it started healing, all I did was put alittle bit of cream on it. Not sure the name of the cream, but it was a white ointment like cream for rashes and such they gave me in the hospital. It was not a prescription, more like a diaper rash cream. I never fully understood what it was from, but thought it might have something to do with the surgery tools, the way they manipulate your leg, or just one of the ooppsies you get when a team of people are working on your limbs. It was by far the most important thing on my mind at the time, so I never really questioned the Dr about them. BTW the larger one was the size of a dime, but not round, more oblongish. I still have a faint scar from it, but compared to my 2 battle scars, it is minimal.

Best of luck with your journey into healing....Luisa
 
Gosh I just want to hug you all! Thank you Luisa for taking the time to tell me about the blisters..now I can just let it go. :)
 
I am so glad your pain is under control! You should be so proud of yourself - you made it to the other side! Keep posting and know we are all thinking if you!

Hugs
Denise
 
Hi everybody I am doing good! Got a question..how important is the compression stocking? I hate them and they really bother me
 
Im not sure, I didnt use them, but I was on injectable blood thinner for 14 days....it may be to prevent clots? Not sure...maybe someone else who has used them could chime in.
 
Did not have any with both knees and am fine - my OS does not prescribe them. I saw in another post Josephine refused to wear hers. Different OS have different protocols and not all of them prescribe them for use. Same with CPM machines- not all OS have patients use them.
 
There are a lot of studies that question whether they provide any benefit. With my first tkr, I was a good girl and wore them for 2 weeks. With my second, I wore them for 2 days!!

I did save them and used them later when I was beginning to take longer walks or go out shopping---they helped me then by providing support and preventing swelling.

Here is my take---this is Kelly the artist speaking here---I would not wear them while you are lying in bed, with your legs elevated on three pillows---which should be at least 60% of the time at this stage of your recovery. If you are going to be on your feet for anything like a doctor's visit---wear them then. If you do wear them, I cut the feet off---just right at the ankle and they were easier to put on then!!
 
I'm also on injectable blood thinner for 14 days plus the ted hose.They are suppose to prevent blood clots but if they aren't that effective I would LOVE to toss them :) I would think the blood thinner shots would do the job. It is now about 5 days out and I just feel really great. I'm getting stronger :) I start in home pt tomorrow. I have my right knee to do in about 6 months and so far I'm not dreading it :yay:
 
Wow thanks for the input! That's awesome news for me:) I think that's the end of teds :egypdance:
 
how important is the compression stocking? I hate them and they really bother me

You're not alone in the Ted's department. I had to wear mine 4 weeks for both surgeries. I have a few more days with my 2nd knee. I too take mine off at night, but I didn't start that will 2 weeks out. Recently I have forgotten to put them back on in the morning, it's not until my legs start that I realize I'm missing a part of my attire. :doh:I literally just put mine back on right now, because my ankle was hurting.

I guess it depends on your surgeons request and how well you're doing with swelling. For my first surgery they measured me wrong and gave me a medium because of my knee measurements. As flattered as I was, I later realized that they apparently didn't peak under my skirt and get a'load of "Thunder and Lightning Thighs." :whistle: lol They came all the way up my thighs and would roll back down and cut into me. I ended up getting all sorts of creative and rolled them down making a band (as if they were knee highs) and then pulling back over my knee. This helped at times. I also would roll up my stretch pants and pull the the Teds over my pants, creating a Renaissance/Harlequin look. :heehee: Gotta be creative. This time I have a large and I'm only bothered by their appearance under my pants when I go out of the house. Oh, and I only wear one now on the newborn knee.

My take on Ted's is this: they must be medically necessary to prevent blood clots, but if they're cutting of your circulation... :umm:You may want to request another size (I did the first time.) They also offer support when standing/walking. I understand your dilemma, I'd ditch them but maybe after a couple weeks. Not sure how long you're in for, what did the warden say? :shrug:
 
Well the warden said 2 weeks ;) but I have the same problem you had with them cutting into my skin. And for me they are so hard to put on. Oh boy dilemma dilemma ;)
 
Ps it sure is nice that all I have to complain about is ted hose lol. I'm a blessed girl :yay:
 
I used the plastic bag trick with my first knee, didn't have a problem with the second one.

You'll know when you need them on. I remember once after doing too much a week or so after "being set free", I came home LOOKING for my Teds. lol Don't throw them away either, because I heard they're good for air travel. In your case you may need a different cut of size. Me too! I probably don't wanna rock thighs highs on a plane. I'm gonna have a tough enough time getting through security. :scare:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom