TKR knee's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That plastic bag trick works! :) was wondering if this is normal. It's been 5 days and no one has removed bandage. I've never seen the wound so how do I know if it is ok? It is covered with a steri strip bandage I think. They told me in 7 days to change it myself? I would think a professional would do that so it can be checked. It's kind of scary that they just sent a bandage home and told me to change it. Is that normal.? I don't see anyone nurse or dr till oct 24th.
 
Well I'm 5days out and seemed to have caught a cold. I'm staying with my daughter and my grand daughter has been coughing and sniffling. I'm feeling congested. Is that a worry? Has anyone got sick right after their tkr? I hope I'm not asking too many questions. I was just feeling a little worried about how being sick could effect the new knee. Thanks so much
 
Hi, can you peek at the scar yourself or is it the gauze taped? I was able to just roll down my Teds and have a look, but my P/T checked it every time they came, so NO it doesn't seem normal to me and I would call my OS and mention it. Do you have staples that need to be removed. I just had the "zipper" and it's supposed to dissolve or something. :shrug:

Also, did someone call you to set up your P/T and check on you after surgery? If you have that number, call them back and let them know that your bandages haven't been checked and your concerned that you're catching a cold. I'm really not sure if you should be alarmed about a common cold, other than it being annoying. I've heard that our knees can be infected if we get an infection in other parts of our body. I'm no expert, but I'd monitor it. I just think that some on should have checked your scar by now. :umm:

I remember how adamant they were in the hospital telling me to make sure people wash their hands before they touch me. My first P/T DID NOT wash his hands. I remember wishing that he WOULDN'T check my scar. lol He once put on gloves, put down my Teds and then once he removed my bandages, he removed his gloves. :eeeuw: I did everything in my power to cover my scar with the gauze before he could touch it. Needless to say, that he was "voted of the island" and not invited back for my second knee surgery.

I hope you're feeling better and your cold doesn't last long... Who needs that after a TKR? :gaah:
 
Knees, I don't know about the cold but I would definitely call the doc about it. Also, a nurse came over every other day to change the dressing on my knee. I would call about that too. Hope you get well and heal quickly.
 
Gosh now I feel really worried. I haven't seen or talked to anyone other than my first pt today. She just had me do some exercises and left. I do not have staples, I believe it is glued. It has a tight rubber like bandage on it. Cannot see scar. Even in the hospital no one looked at the incision. I sure hope a cold or flu can't infect my knee :beg:
 
It's been 7 days since my tkr. I am sick with a bad cough and chest cold. I'm calling my dr this morning. But has anyone become sick soon after their surgery? Was everything ok? I'm just panicking and so scared. Can a cold virus hurt your new knee? Please let me know if you experienced anything like this. I need a good word, I'm scared
 
Thank you so much!! It's scares me so much. I called dr and they just said that if I have fever then my gp will give antibiotics. So far no fever. Thanks for helping me
 
Oh Josephine I want to hug you! You are an angel :) been so scared about getting sick and you set me at peace..thank you
 
Well I changed my bandage today with the help of my daughter. Went pretty well. Had a PT session today and she said my ROM was 87. I'm surprised! My flexion before surgery was 68 and I was expecting a hard time getting it better. I think for 1 week out 87 is acceptable :)

I'm feeling more positive since I heard virus colds don't effect knees.. whew I was a basket case this morning. I'm feeling better :).

PS when I say 87 that's with her pushing and me hurting :)
 
Oh my. Having a new knee is like having a new baby. It's all so new and strange. It's hard to know what to really worry about. Although it's adding another layer to your misery, your cold will not hurt you. But you know what? Consider calling your PCP for an appointment simply to go over any concerns, and any other health issues/meds which can be impacted by TKR recovery. And the bonus is that maybe your PCP will do your pain med prescribing. Lots of us find our orthos are stingy with pain meds. Just a thought.
 
PS when I say 87 that's with her pushing and me hurting :)
I agree with Josephine! You should not be pushed---never agree to allow a PT to push you or to hurt you. Please remember---the PT works for you!

Never allow a PT to have you go beyond to point fo discomfort. If you do it and it hurts, stop doing it. Set parameters up as to what yo will do and what boundaries will not be crossed.

Remember, your surgery caused tremendous trauma to your knee, and it will take quite some time for the knee to calm down, as well as to recover. The more yo rush---and the more you push---or allow somebody to push you---the slower, more painful, and more frustrating your recovery will be. Patience is a must!
 
Sorry you are having such a rough beginning to your recovery. Just be extra good to yourself and rest, rest, rest!!! Sleep is best for your cold and, fortunately, all that rest is also good for your new knee!!!!
 
I know what you say is true. I did read the articles too.I have been reading this forum for awhile and thought I was prepared. I have had 3 pt sessions and she is very nice and gentle till one time today. As she measured she pushed back on my leg and it hurt. it happened so fast. I have a hard time speaking up because she is the "authority figure" she is really nice but still feels like she is the boss. But you are right I pay her!! I've always been timid but will work on it for next time :)
 
I understand how hard it is to challange "authority figures", BUT a pt who will push on your leg until you hurt is really not a very good PT. She is a person who needs to be educated---you will be doing her a favor. So, here is what I do---I write it out on an index card. "I do not want you to push that hard on my knee again. It is not necessary sine i already have good range of motion. It caused me knee to have additional swelling and I do not want you to push that hard on my knee again."

It is easier to say it when you have the card nearby!!! Once, when i was really intimidated, I just handed over the card to someone!!!LOL But, seriously, you need to take care of yourself---you are not last on the list!!!
 
It is scary when everything seems to affect the knee isn't it. But, your cold is mostly just a cold--a pain but not a threatening experience.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom