BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] knee so stiff<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by bland9, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    The MUA has disrupted a lot of things inside your leg, and yes, it will take time for it to settle down.

Don’t force your bend or extension and don’t let any PT force it either. That will hinder healing.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
    Time for pain and swelling to settle.
    Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
    along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Glosnana

Glosnana junior member

I'm at 14 wks and posted about this soreness last week or the week before as I'd been pain free for a while! Since then it's almost gone but at the time it was worrying! It was over and above my kneecap...I'm sure it's just part of the healing process.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jockette

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bland9

bland9 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Attended PT today rom in gone down to 80% and stiffness increased -straightening leg the same - She my PT girl recommended using mini exercise cycle - do anyone recommend these and how often

5. Jockette

I tried one of them and I didn’t like it at all. I never had the right chair to sit on to use it, so it ended up hurting my lower back. It kept shifting away from me so I had to find something to prevent that. I tried putting it right up next to a wall but then there wasn’t room for my feet to peddle it. The bicycle motion upset my non operated knee and also aggravated a nerve issue in my foot. :hairpulling:

Short slow walks were the best thing for me.

6. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Rocking back and forth on my recumbent bike worked for me. It was a month or so after I started using it before I could go all the way around. Then it was backwards for a few days before a frontwards revolution was achieved. I had my seat all the way back and I lifted my hip a bit, but I did it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bland9

bland9 senior

@sistersinhim and @Jockette - Thankyou both for your views I will be ordering one to use has willing to try anything to get this knee right;
    Also need your advice my leg just recently got extremely stiff when sitting/ walking is this normal 14 weeks post op. leg still not straight and painful around kneecap

8. Izabel

Izabel senior

Portugal Portugal
    Gosh, everyone is different, aren't they? I swear by my pedal cycle and use it 20 minutes every morning to start my day. I started the back and forth for a week or so then backwards till I could go round frontwards. I find it loosens my muscles up before I start to take off with my walker. I had to add an extra cushion to my chair to get the right height.

Best wishes for some relief for you soon.

:upright:Izzy xx

9. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You have to count your recovery from the date of your MUA not your surgery date. A MUA sets your recovery way back, causing trauma, pain and swelling to your 3 and a half month old knee. Count your knee as being only 2 weeks out now. Your knee will need to have a lot of time to get over this last procedure that it had. Being still and painful is normal, unfortunately. Treat it very gently and ice and elevate just like you did after your TKR.

10. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My leg got very stiff if I stood for more than 30 minutes at a time at approx. week 12-20 (I'm guessing at 20--I know it was for quite a few weeks after I returned to work.) But gradually it would loosen up faster after I sat down and bent it. This was a bit less the case with knee #2, but not much.
    But today I can walk, stand etc for an hour or more without an issue.

And you are only a short time from your MUA--lots of healing to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bland9

bland9 senior

@sistersinhim @kneeper again thankyou for your thoughts and of cause you both right and hopefully will help when my static pedal cycle arrive. Just one thing I could do with advice and something I spoke of before and even surgeon and doctor told me to dismiss is that MY kneecap especially around medial is very sore and has been like this since I left hospital - but everytime I do my straightening exercise it feels like a knife is poke in that one spot and is very painful - this restrict my exercises- again any thoughts

12. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It may be part of the healing process. I found I sometimes had weird pains in different spots early on and just was more gentle with any movement that caused an ouch.

13. ElanorG

ElanorG post-grad

My hip flexors are terribly tight and were tight before the surgery but much worse now. But doing simple stretching exercises every day has really helped my walking and my kneecap pain. It just takes quite a bit of time and patience, but it's important for me to do them every day a few times a day. I found my pain in my kneecap was the result of tight hip flexors as well as tight calves and hamstrings. When you spend time in a recliner and/or with your leg elevated it will automatically cause a lot of contraction in the hip flexors. You might find if you just do some simple stretches for your calves, hamstrings and hip flexors, hold for 30 seconds and do both legs, and do this several times a day that it helps with your kneecap pain.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2019
  14. bland9

bland9 senior

What I forgot to mention is that when I stand or put weight on it the worse it get until real pain is felt, I Know my bent leg don't help has always walking with bad limp- wobbling side to side still need two crutches - no change in this for weeks-
    Since my OP or MUA I not had one day pain free and no sign of any improvements not one jot- knee remain at 80 rom - straightening of leg still can get whole hand under without resistance

15. Jockette

Your surgeon knows that, to a certain extent, this is par for the course in recovery from a knee replacement. There isn’t an immediate fix for every pain we feel. It takes a very long time to heal.

I read this that one of our other advisors wrote:

“Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness. Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area.

You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. knee#2

knee#2 junior member

@bland9 We are still all concerned about you and waiting to see if cycle helps. I did buy stationary bike for my first total knee replacement surgery so will be interesting to find out whether this new bike helps your flexibility, it will hopefully help you warm up muscles to stretch to begin with.

17. knee#2

knee#2 junior member

Jockette is right .. not sure if your surgeon explained this to you but the MUA has basically taken your ROM back to first week after the TKR and will feel stiff from the additional trauma, let it heal and be gentle without force.

18. Didot

Didot junior member

Australia Australia
    I’m now close to 6 months post op. So so so often I still think things in my knee cannot be right and am tempted to call my surgeon in panic. But I wait a day or two, and it somehow passes. I also has a MUA at 13 weeks, and found that helped with my stuck knee and have not regretted it at all. It certainly did not put me back to where I was in the first month or two. It just helped my ROM .... with being at least able to sit without my knee stretched in front of me. It seems to me to be such an individual, different experience for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. bland9

bland9 senior

@knee#2 @Didot - thankyou both for your kind thoughts and suggestions it very much appreciated:flwrysmile:- After MUA I really wish I could say I felt any difference, just unbelievable pain like before has could not straighten leg -has for rom was really not concerned about this to much . Its this SORENESS around knee and SHARP KNIFE like pain on the medial side and is felt in every step and exercise I take and that has restricted any light PT so cannot say I have over done it at any time - -this continued issues I had felt just after OP and has continued and still is very present- this I do know is not normal. so now I trying anything I can and just today I received my pedal cycle which I very much enjoy doing -so early days:upright: - must admit I increasing my Exercises now for I am at wits end- I don't mean I going to go stupid or overdo it -I just going to increase how often

20. knee#2

knee#2 junior member

@Didot I'm happy the MUA didn’t put you back that far! Of course it isn’t like having the soft tissues traumatized like the actual surgery but depending on the particular situation and bend (ROM) soft tissue may feel more bruised or stressed after the manipulation because that is precisely what the surgeon does. Under anesthesia... I’m just about three months out and slowly gaining my extension and was anticipating MUA since it was 25 degrees when I finally returned home but bonesmart has given me different outlook and patience /gentle stretching has brought extension down to 5-7 w/in 13 weeks. So happy to hear your experience was good w MUA.. you’re right! We’re all different!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1