Guest viewing is limited

MUA knee so stiff<<

Been doing my knee straightening exercises - nice and gentle but regular small improvement I can keep foot from falling onto side for about 5 mins - though now got terrible tingling in the foot constant - very little swelling in foot also medial side really really sore still.
 
Been doing my knee straightening exercises - nice and gentle but regular small improvement
That sounds promising. :yes: Your knee and tissues have just be re-traumatized.It's good to move the knee but nice and gentle is the way to go.
 
@kneeper thankyou for your support- Yes micro improvements- though when I straighten knee I am fighting knife like pain everytime I stretch and straighten knee - medial side and top of kneecap . which is extremely painful even with gentle movements- making it very sore but been told got I got to live with it, no explanation has to why
 
I saw the post from @Jamie and wanted to jump in to say I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE that exercise (the prone hang) she showed in the photo. I tend to do mine off of the kitchen table though. :) Sometimes I use a 1-2 lb weight, but my situation is different, and I have 10 previous knee ops and rehabs to compare to, so I know what works for me without making the knee mad. I often do what Jamie does too and lay on my bed for 15-20 minutes in the afternoon, with my feet/ankles hanging off the bed---just for an extra extension stretch when I've been sitting/driving a lot. It really does help if one can tolerate it.

I've also done it the way YOU mentioned with using a rolled up towel under the ankle. That way is MUCH more painful for my entire leg, especially the nerves running down my shin into my ankle. My PT told me to do it the other way we mentioned above, as being in pain is counterproductive.
 
I found the same thing, @Rockgirl4. I could do the hang with no real pain but couldn't do the towel under my ankle or prop my leg on a stool without real discomfort. Sometimes it's a fine art to find the movements and exercises that work for you. We're all such individuals!
 
@bland9 I totally understand what you’re saying, for me at “rehab/nursing home facility “ my extension was about 25 degrees from being straight and was extremely painful when I tried to straighten and push down on knee cap, now almost three months later it’s much easier and almost pain free to do that exercise. Not totally flat but getting close. I do not limp and continue to stretch.The prone position hurt as well as towel under heel. It does improve. I am following you to see you progress.
 
I didn’t realize you’d had MUA done, I thought that my surgeon might have to recommend that for mine as well. A week after surgery my extension was 25 degrees. I tried to do straightening exercises but so very painful even with hydro vicadin.. do you remember what your measurements were? I’m almost at 14 weeks and much better, not because of pt but less painful to do the exercises.
 
Thankyou all for your suggestions and I certainly will be trying them out , I do anything just to get this knee/leg straight . I am aware though how painful and sore it is just to put anything of pressure on my kneecap but I work through this has much has I can - short session at first then build up is I be doing.
@knee#2 not sure what my measurement were-was told but forgot -the surgeon did say could get hand underneath so even under MUA was not good , very slight difference now but still walk badly with a limp and pain so Ive certainly got a battle on my hands
 
Bland9 it looks like you’re having to start all over again, which can be either blessing or not painwise. I think the person was right about the shortening of tendons in back, when this has somehow happened it will take time and patience everyday to slowly straighten and lengthen. And since your MUA was so recent it will indeed be painful and yes. You are going to need pain relief.. tramadol will help if you can find ways around side effects. Think of roll of paper towel, removing one sheet at time.. doesn’t seem like much but if you steadily and consistently work at this the roll of paper towel will become much smaller. For myself I could hardly bear to hang my leg prone for more than a minute but in evening whilst watching Netflix I still prop my leg on footstool with towel and ice pack.. I no longer need more than Tylenol but I used more than one script of hydro/vicadin. My surgeon is one of the greats here and does at least 10 TKR weekly. He also does revisions.... don’t give up!
 
Last edited:
@knee#2 The MUA cannot say it was painful at all in fact quite the opposite just relief I could bend my knee instead of walking on tip toes. I do agree with you about the patience and steady working at the straightening -at moment walking like a got a bent wooden and swaying side to side -
I also now trying gentle self massage to the knee and thigh area that seems to help alittle
Though to have to smile just I was complimented on how ILL I looked :elevate: and a great advert not to have ones knees done until one cannot walk or crawl. that made me feel so good,:heehee:
:thankyou: for your great support
 
Since you’re MUA didn’t seem as painful as we all expected wondering if you’ve tried prone position to let it hang with gravity? I could only do for very few minutes but this will help if you can tolerate..
 
@knee#2 - Started the overhanging leg yesterday and yes I too could only tolerate it for a very short period -it becomes very painful quickly but will continue with it and see if it has any benefits :fingersx:
I always thought a MUA was painful and feared it but it is nothing to fear apart from all night on the CPM machine which was uncomfortable/noisy and could not sleep a wink all night. to my surprise swelling completely went and could bend knee to nearly 90 Rom but has for straightening that was still very poor and remained bent but this was not has bad has prior to hospital admission
 
I think the straightening is much harder. If you can continue with the prone position then try it couple times day. I always always elevate in evening and in early stages especially I took pain meds and put rolled towel under heel with ice pack for long as I could stand it.
 
I had three weeks of pt and this was one exercise therapist wanted me to do 3-4 times daily, when you are actually able to walk heel/toe gait you can lengthen your stride a bit, I’m glad your MUA didn’t cause you as much pain as we anticipated! Yes this journey is long and tedious but hopefully will give you pain free days..
 
Since coming out of hospital - MUA - Ive been massaging knee a lot and it seem to have loosened up some of the tightness around knee and leg -so much so Im now finding my leg is extremely weak and feel going to give way- Has
Anyone had similar experiences. any advice if so​
 
Forgot to mention today I had many tears flow- You see I have meditated for many years and recognised many emotions and been able to let the mind clouds go by ? but these particular tears have been deeply rooted in the last few months trying to look brave and in control -coping in another words- when inside I was crying I just a small boy wanting his hand to be held ( my inner child ) I don't want sympathy because I glad im able now to release these tears and the mental pain .
 
Since coming out of hospital - MUA - Ive been massaging knee a lot and it seem to have loosened up some of the tightness around knee and leg -so much so Im now finding my leg is extremely weak and feel going to give way- Has
Anyone had similar experiences. any advice if so​
Only a guess, but maybe the muscles are reacting to the trauma of the MUA. Many of us had this feeling after our tkrs for a few weeks.
 
Sorry to keep on posting all must think Im a proper moaner- but problems persists and all I get from Doctors is that it normal and will take time- Someone got an answer is that all around my kneecap and top is very sore to touch- like when pushing into a bruise and knee like pain sometimes also the knee feel very weak
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom