BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] knee so stiff<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by bland9, Jun 19, 2017.

1. bland9

bland9 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Im really not normal -soon has I put Ice wrap on knee it send my knee into overdrive - meaning pain return and many little shocks down leg to toes - my knee really is that sensitive -almost want to give up icing knee has it causing more trouble than its worth. really getting fed up with it all. at moment there is no improvement at all after 4 weeks not in the slightest. will wait to have my operation with groin and then tell my knee surgeon to remove my leg LOL:rotfl: well that's how I feel at times

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Since icing doesn't help you, stop doing it. It's helpful for most people, but not essential.

However, elevating your leg is essential, so don't give that up.

3. bland9

bland9 senior

@Celle - thankyou for advice - there is a concern I have. I am doing very little exercises- apart from small jobs around house -like cleaning, again not everyday and obviously walking around house etc, -my Rom is stuck at 70 and cannot straighten leg, can get whole of my hand underneath my knee when straight , AM I doing the right thing by not exercising or should I up the exercise- taking my knee is still swollen and does not seems like its improving. also to add there is a click then shooting pain still, notice this today while walking down the stairs

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    It's only been a month since your surgery. I'd be inclined to continue as you are and not increase the exercise. Until you get rid of much of the swelling, your knee isn't going to bend or straighten much more.
    Do check your activity against this article - because I don't think housework is included in activities for one month post-op. Activity progression for TKRs

5. bland9

bland9 senior

Got an appointment with my surgeon next week - amongst other things will discuss this click in knee and shooting pain and also I have noticed there is slight bruising started to show where it clicking/pain while moving it laterally in bed when this pain happens it hurts for hours ---- . this I know is not normal ,also 5 weeks post op I do think is the most difficult in regards of feeling low mood and frustration -has there doesn't feel any progress- its starting to feel such a struggle especially for this stupid shooting pain

6. bland9

bland9 senior

Just quick enquiry - my knee can only bend around 70% and seems stuck at that when I see surgeon next week do you think he may recommend MUA - I'm rather concern about this has I cannot face having another anaesthetic because on 12th june got to have another operation ,which need a 2 week period of rest

7. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    At 5 weeks you are still so very early in this recovery. The swelling and pain you are experiencing is hindering your bend.

You want to keep some mobility going, so short walks will take care of that. As your swelling and pain decrease you can increase the walks.

Even if your surgeon recommends an MUA, the final decision is yours, and he can’t do it without your consent.

One of our members, Bertschb, kept a record of his ROM process. He agreed for us to post it for those of you that are afraid you're stuck. The key is to have patience! Bertschb says:

“I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
    1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
    2- Don't worry about your ROM
    3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):

1 month - 60 degrees
    2 months - 80 degrees
    3 months - 85 degrees
    4 months - 90 degrees
    5 months - 90 degrees
    6 months - 110 degrees
    7 months - 120 degrees
    8 months - 125 degrees
    9 months - 130 degrees
    10 months - 135 degrees
    11 months - 140 degrees
    12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.”

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

If I were you I'd not even consider a MUA until your swelling goes down. More than likely it's the swelling keeping your ROM back. Get that swelling down and it will improve. Don't let him talk you into it unless you really want to have it done. Personally, I think it's way too early to have one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bland9

bland9 senior

Today really feeling down and asking "Why Me" many make reasonable recovery . Me I have to struggle, just like my last TKR. when One feels there is some light at the end of the tunnel and then "Wham" more pain and misery .why I feel so fed up is that all yesterday and today constant cramp in back of calf and no matter how much i rest there is no respite and also foot so swollen feels like it going to burst, nearly six weeks out and surely there should be some respite even an extra hour sleep would help. Sorry to moan but need to let off some steam

10. Jockette

:console2: I’m sorry you’re feeling so down. My recovery at your stage wasn’t much different.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Maybe you should tell your doctor about your excessive foot swelling. My foot and ankle swelled but never as large as yours sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bland9

bland9 senior

@sistersinhim -thankyou again for advice .I have appointment Thursday with Surgeon and will discuss this and other concerns ; has for my thoughts on MUA . I don't think this will happen soon has got another operation next Wednesday for unrelated issue from knees. and this will take 2 weeks to recover, sitting around hospital most of day today and wow how my knees feel painful and stiff , trouble is sitting in chair with knees being force back just encase someone trip over foot

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bland9

bland9 senior

today its painful to put weight on my knee and feel like giving way- I feel ok no hot head feeling . temp ok and incision nice and dry so don't think its infection- any ideas

14. Jockette

Your surgeon will probably take X-rays at your upcoming appointment, mine did at every check up. Hopefully he will have some answers for you. I’m sorry you’re having such a difficult time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. bland9

bland9 senior

Doing lots of research on the internet and the region of my pain is on the MEDIAL side and-may be do to inflammation of Bursa - Am right or way off the mark

16. bland9

bland9 senior

This morning went for a walk -very slowly I must say - my knee felt painful when bearing weight and felt if it was going to give way. now icing etc, really starting to wish never had this done and i really should had listen to others especially my wife whom expressed concern especially taking into account my difficulties with other TKR done two years ago:banghead: . knee instability is never a good sign and this problem has just begun and I certainly did not feel this with the other tkr and I guess though hope IM wrong -I will have to go through it all again, Revision time - running out of smiles now:blackcloud:

17. Jockette

Your appointment is tomorrow, so try to relax, although I know that’s hard when you feel there’s a problem. Our minds maximize every negative possibility. I hope your doctor can give you reassurance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Benay

Benay graduate

Sending good wishes and watching for an update.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. bland9

bland9 senior

Seen my Surgeon today and explain all- all he said was "you had a rough time and long recovery before with other knee and just like that knee its going to take time" and so he was not concerned about knee giving way or pain, and he followed up by saying xrays after knee surgery are good and keep doing PT because limited rom ie stiffness and I see you in 6 weeks time, He thinks PT will sort this out- Im writing this while resting on bed icing -knee swollen like a melon and excoriating pain and can hardly stand, Im finding it really difficult to see any positives, saw others at the hospital whom had surgery same time has me and they were casually walking around and they were lot older, me again crawled in has usual .

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  20. liam2015

liam2015 post-grad

Canada Canada
    i don't have any advice but i hope you can feel a little better every day. just for comparison, when i went to my surgeon at 6 weeks post op, my r.o.m., like yours, was also 70 degrees flexion (not sure about extension) and he was furious because i had not done any physio, which was due to nausea from the opioids, but he didn't excuse me and wanted to do an m.u.a. i persisted in avoiding that and it took 7 months before i could do a full rotation pedalling on my bike and also easier stair climbing. it seemed to happen overnight. i did start physio at the 6 week post op point. it was hands-on: massage, TENS, icing for 20 minutes, tried cupping (didn't like) and acupuncture, then the physiotherapist would flex and straighten my knee. i was given some home exercises also. it was very slow progress but i got there. sending you best wishes that you will get there too.