Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Knee replacement, now revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Silver. It's good to see you again but I'm so sorry you are still having such problems. I am just reading a new article about "The effect of pain after TKR on the contralateral, nonreplaced knee". When I've finished reading it, I will post a summary in the Library and give you a link. (I've no idea what the conclusion is yet but I hope it may help! :wink:)
 
I hadn't really thought about the nerve block since I had a general and he did not really go into much detail about it. So after I woke up I thought wow this is so great I hardly have any pain. I asked him when we could do the other one. He just looked at me funny :rotfl:. Thankfully if you stay on top of the pain you should be fine. In fact I never asked for pain meds. They were right there every 3 hours giving me something. It was great! Prayers you have a great recovery.
 
Sorry I think I replied to a very old link. I pray you find some answers.
 
Well, I would really like to see if there are other people struggling with pain from their knee replacements at 9 months or is this highly unusual?
Thanks! Silver
 
Silver, I do not have any answers for you (I'm just a few weeks out myself) but wanted to let you know I saw your question and feel for you. I hope that some of the veterans of this board will be along shortly to offer some insight.
Are you still struggling with the tendonitis or is this a new issue? Either way, I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well at this point.
:flwrysmile:
 
Well, I went to the doctor and had inflamed another tendon on the side of my knee. From too much packing and lifting boxes etc. He gave me a cortisone shot, stretching exercises and told me to quit lifting heavy boxes.

Apparently, I still work too hard and do not know when to take it easy on the poor knee replacement.

Silver
 
I've skimmed through some of your earlier posts and am looking on with some envy. Your earlier progress certainly beats mine. I'm 8 months post op. Most of the time my knee doesn't bother me, but I'm still not doing stairs with any finesse. That is when it can hurt. I did a lot of work on my feet with a pitchfork the other day and then lifting it up a load into the tractor bucket. I was fine in motion, but I felt it when I stopped. I still can't sit still in a chair without twisting and fidgeting my leg. The barnyard is my avocation. The classroom with the kids isn't near as taxing on my knee. Hope this input helps you with your informal survey. I'll be checking back to hear how others report.
 
Smart doctor you have there, Silver. Even though you have a new bionic knee, all the soft tissues are still the same ol' stuff you had before and it's easy to overdo things...knee replacement or no knee replacement. Hope you're taking things easier now.
 
Well, it is hard to take it too easy, but I did pretty much nothing for one week. I still have to move in two weeks and it is a huge chore!! I appreciate the support, Martha and Jamie. And I still am not going up steps well and only down steps with two banisters. As I have said, my other knee is bad and I also have a bad ankle and I know it plays into all this.
I am just so ready to be well and done with this. Patience, I know, patience!!
 
How about contacting local scout group or something similar, make a cash donation to them and get them to send round a bunch of teenagers to do your packing, lifting, shifting, cleaning.....
 
Good idea, Campervan. It could be a nice win-win if they can be mobilized quickly. Some schools have a community outreach programs, too.
 
Silver, how difficult--as if moving is not enough!! It is always hards to go through those drawers full of questionable stuff. I dumped out the drawers in the bathroom into the trash and still have not missed anything. (I am ruthless with throwing stuff out!!)

It is impossible to move without moving and lifting---I hope your poor knee is doing better---are you moving far? In a way, that is better, because movers will take your stuff for you. When you move locally, it is the pits because you move so much yourself.

we have been in this house for 18 years and this spring we tried to "pretend" we were moving so that we could get rid of stuff. I am now the proud possessor of two empty drawers! in the guest room, but it is a start.

I guess the best you can do is rest whenever and where ever you can. I attend art fairs in the summer and my friend helps me. we have agreed we will not rush. We bring water and will sit in the middle of chaos and drink some water first!! Remember, the work will always be there.

I had patella tendonitis before my tkr. it was a constant ache for about a month. I think that Jo has given you the same exercises that I used. It just slowly went away--one day I noticed that the ache was gone!
 
Hiya Silver, it's also been a long time since I posted, so it was good to come onto the forum and find you still here. If it's any consolation, I'm still having problems too ...lol.. though how problems can be a consolation I just don't know !
I went back to see my surgeon a couple of weeks ago because of the sudden, stabbing pains I'm still encountering when I walk up or down stairs, and don't take care to place my foot exactly as it needs to be. He said there was was lateral laxity - ie it wobbles a bit from side to side, but said to wait another six months to see what happens . He didn't seem to be unduly worried, so I suppose that settled my mind a little bit. I bought a 'Kneehab' in the hope that it'll help strengthen my thigh muscle and pull everything into line, but I'm not holding out a great deal of hope. My PT says that I'm doing everything right, doing the right exercises, doing them often enough, so it's a bit frustrating to be at this stage, or lack of stage, at 9 - 10 months !
You and I seem to be still mirroring each other in terms of recovery !! Stick in there, we'll get there eventually . I hope the move goes (or went) smoothly for you .
x x x
 
As I 've already said in this thread, I'm still struggling - especially with stairs. Yesterday I hit the 9 month post op date. I officially told one PT I'm going to take a "knee vacation" - no more forcing myself to do knee exercises. I will tell my Red Cord PT the same next week. Skyelark, if there is a Red Cord near you, I'd recommend them to you. Their emphasis is on proper alignment and their exercises are very different than any others I've encountered. I also made significant ROM gains while under their supervision - before I was stuck at 105. Now that I'm doing 120 on my own and can be pushed for more through soft manuevers, I'm going to see how I do with just normal summer outdoor activities - garden and barn chores. I supervised birthings in the barn this week.
Hope your laxity issues resolve.
 
TKR recovery seems to challenge us to be the opposite of who we are. We like to do things and stay busy, but our knees don't agree with that approach to life. Moving is super hard on anyone. I can't imagine doing it in that first year of TKR recovery. I think we need more magic wands to fix our knees once and for all, and perhaps some Genies in a bottle to do our work for us!
 
Hiya Silver, it's also been a long time since I posted, so it was good to come onto the forum and find you still here. If it's any consolation, I'm still having problems too ...lol.. though how problems can be a consolation I just don't know !
I went back to see my surgeon a couple of weeks ago because of the sudden, stabbing pains I'm still encountering when I walk up or down stairs, and don't take care to place my foot exactly as it needs to be. He said there was was lateral laxity - ie it wobbles a bit from side to side, but said to wait another six months to see what happens . He didn't seem to be unduly worried, so I suppose that settled my mind a little bit. I bought a 'Kneehab' in the hope that it'll help strengthen my thigh muscle and pull everything into line, but I'm not holding out a great deal of hope. My PT says that I'm doing everything right, doing the right exercises, doing them often enough, so it's a bit frustrating to be at this stage, or lack of stage, at 9 - 10 months !
You and I seem to be still mirroring each other in terms of recovery !! Stick in there, we'll get there eventually . I hope the move goes (or went) smoothly for you .
x x x
 
As I 've already said in this thread, I'm still struggling - especially with stairs. Yesterday I hit the 9 month post op date. I officially told one PT I'm going to take a "knee vacation" - no more forcing myself to do knee exercises. I will tell my Red Cord PT the same next week. Skyelark, if there is a Red Cord near you, I'd recommend them to you. Their emphasis is on proper alignment and their exercises are very different than any others I've encountered. I also made significant ROM gains while under their supervision - before I was stuck at 105. Now that I'm doing 120 on my own and can be pushed for more through soft manuevers, I'm going to see how I do with just normal summer outdoor activities - garden and barn chores. I supervised birthings in the barn this week.
Hope your laxity issues resolve.

Hi, I've had a very slow recovery as a few of you will know. It was 10 months before I got anywhere near the mid to high teens for ROM. Now at almost 18 months I'm still gaining and getting 120. I put this down to just time but more I think to lowering the seat on my exercycle. So stopping exercising the knee I don't think will help. I find if I sit watching a movie for a couple of hours my knee is stiff to move so I get on the exercycle and bingo it improves.
 
I am about where you are and despite great ROM - over 145 - I am still stiff and swollen and not in pain, but uncomfortable if I have to sit too long, like at work. I am back to icing and elevating after any thing active, and really hoping it gets better. But my OS reminded me at my last visit to him that TKR isn't a fix for osteoarthritis. I am not going to be fixed. But I will be better than the bone on bone days. It's another normal I guess. But you are not alone. I know many on this site say they feel back to normal and aren't reminded about their knee by this point. God bless them, I'm not one of them. But I am exerting a little more all the time, not to pain but to strain maybe. I am still in the battle, but I am with you - sure thought I'd be at a different place by now.
 
Hi! I was at a friend's house this weekend in CA - I only see her every few months...amazing how one comment sent me into feeling "guilty" that I was icing and elevating after a 15 mile bike ride. She went on about someone she knew who "never has to ice, hasn't had any problems bending and moving, and is all better even tho she had hers done ages after yours!" jeeez So, I am over 7 months, active as can be and I still ice, elevate, struggle a little with stairs and on days I overdo...I'm not in pre-op pain so I am grateful...but this is one hell of a recovery! You all have my empathy and understanding for your struggles and I think we should all be proud of ourselves! :happydance:
 
I sometimes wonder about those comments. Seriously what are they really trying to say to us. It is one of those lessons on what not to say. I mean either you hear horror stories or amazing stories but not the middle where most of people actually land. What is with our culture anyway. Why can we not be supportive of others instead of making them feel bad or scared. :scratch: My Bible Study has been praying for me all along and I am starting to feel like a broken record and embarrassed to keep asking for prayer. Especially when a friend of someone had bilateral a month after me and is doing great. I start to wonder why is God not answering my prayers! Then I have to stop myself and remember it is not always about me. 10% of people having TKR's are going to have issues. Why not me! Why someone else! They are just things that can't be explained. But we need to think about these issues before we open our mouths and I know in the past I have said some dumb things too! That makes me sad but hopefully as I age I can think "is this helpful or hurtful" before I open my mouth! :cheers: Here is to no more dumb comments, lol!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom