Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Knee replacement, now revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I complained to my doc that something was just not right with my left knee for over a year and looking back I feel I got the brush off. As luck would have it we sold our house and relocated to a different state and found a different doctor who could see that there was indeed something not right with my knee. So less than a week after the whirlwind of moving, i was in a new hospital, having my knee implant removed in preparation for the long battle with a staph infection. So I know what it is like to pickup and move an entire household three states just over a year after a BTKR, but with the added joy of a knee going down hill so fast that it nearly aspirated itself the day of the move. I am three weeks into the treatment and I have only been out of the house twice since we moved, this is not fun. Oops, there I go again, crying into my beer.

So, get some blood work done, some more x rays or even an mri, but not before asking your doc how many knee infections he has treated. Like Josephine says, you want to make sure your doctor has lots of experience in this area because things get very complicated. Knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would even let a doc aspirate my knee unless they are specialized in implant infections. Read up on Biofilm. It appears that I had my infection from day one yet I experienced only a few fevers the year since my BTKR. However the infection was slowly festering away, eroding the bone and leaving my left knee much weaker than the right knee (which actually healed quite beautifully). Try to stay calm because indeed you're knee might just need more time to heal, but all the basses need to be covered before you waste any more time (and bone), beating a dead horse. You need some answers now. The greatest thing in my ordeal was finally getting an answer, though it was bad news, I still consider it a step forward.
 
[color=][/color]Go Silver, so glad your feeling ok. We can all get through this together. :puppysmooze: :puppysmooze: One day at a time, does it. GO GIRL....regards Leonie
 
Wow!!
That is amazing that you had to go through that. But thank you for sharing your story. I hope that you get better soon.
So you have no implant now? And will they put it back in eventually? Can you walk at all?
That sounds like a horror story!!!
My doctor has said that all my pain is soft tissue and for awhile, I agree with him. I had patellar tendinitis and then I had a strained ligament (from packing). But I have not lifted or done anything I should not have since early May. I think there is more to it now than just soft tissue. Right now, I just want to get home in one piece. Thankfully, I have lidocaine patches. They are helping.
I rested for two days and I do feel better. But I know that if I over do it, it will all happen again.
The new doc is older than my old doc, has done tons more new replacements in a bigger city. I will ask about the infection issues.
I have never once run a fever, but I know that may mean nothing. Keep me posted on your progress, okay? I may be crying in my beer with you!!! Sending you some good healing vibes.

Silver
 
No harm in setting your mind at ease re a blood clot. Did you visit a doctor?
 
No, I am waiting for my doc on Tuesday. The swelling went down and I am okay if I do not overdo it.
I go home in 36 hours now and I am ready!!!
Thanks for your concern!
 
I have not been on in a very long time, because I have been so frustrated and banging my head against the wall. I am now 1 year 7 months post op and my knee hurts all the time. It has never stopped hurting and I do not walk well at all because of it.
I finally found a revision expert in Atlanta who put me through many tests for infection, bone scans, metal allergies. He says the lining in my replacement is not thick enough which makes my replacement too loosey goosey (it always has been) and that is why I have the pain. So they are going to go in and replace my lining. Has anyone has this done before?

This has been the absolute most frustrating journey for me. And now my other knee needs it but he thinks it can be a partial.

Any advice would be appreciated!! Silver
 
Silver. I had my liner replaced at the same time that I had scar tissue removed from my left knee. I had pain for about 5 days and stayed in the hospital for one night. My knee felt more stable from the first day onward.

I had a slow recovery because of the adhesions (scar tissue) and it took me 12 weeks to recover, but it was nothing like a full tkr. You will be happy that you did this--you have been in pain too long.
 
Skigirl, you just made my day!! I so hope this will be my answer as well.
I just want a normal knee, so thank you for the encouragement.
I think this guy is really good at what he does too, so that makes me feel better as well. Did you use the same surgeon or a different one?

Happy Dance! Silver
 
I am so glad someone could respond to you, Silver. Skigirl, I have a question for you, too. You were a big help to me, too. Here I am 18 months post TKR and though my PT and I have pretty much agreed it is time I go solo again, I told her today - yes, I have good ROM, but it still feels very tight in there. I had aggressive scar tissue issues and like you, have had a very prolonged recovery. It starts feeling tight at about 45 degrees and because of that I really am still not comfortable going downstairs. On a good day I can, but I still count on the handrail, because I really don't have good balance with the tightness.

I have been wondering if it is time to seek out a second opinion. They wouldn't let me before 12 months. So now I fully qualify. I really wish there was a way to see what is going on in there preferably without opening me back up. It does still feel like there's a lot of scar tissue that's hindering more freedom of motion. My other knee has been a bigger hindrance for the past 6 months. Once I started getting injections in my other knee, my TKR knee is back to being in the forefront because of the stairs and the tightness. I can live with it, if I have to, but if there was a way to do better, I'd much prefer that.

I did venture out last weekend on cross-country skis, but it was level ground and I was breaking a path on crusty snow. On one slight rise, I found myself feeling like a novice skier, wondering if my knees could pull off a snowplow if I needed to slow down. My PT encouraged me to do it again, but I'm going to wait for the temp here in Vermont to get above 0. First time out on skis for a couple of years, though.

Silver, I do hope you find the relief you need. A lot of us here at Bonesmart know how frustrating it can be. We'll all be cheering for you. Seeking out a good, experienced, competent doctor you can trust is an important part of the equation! Keep us posted! We want to see you skiing again, too - or at least doing the things you loved to do, even if it doesn't include skiing.:yay::spin::SUNsmile:
 
Martha in Vermont . . . Maybe it's time to reactivate your thread. You can even change the title. I'm in the same boat somewhat, with a not totally resolved knee. Yes to 2nd opinion. Briefly, they can do arthroscopy to clean it out and look around. Sometimes the joint capsule can be fibrotic and/or there can be lingering synovitis. These things will contribute to that feeling of tightness.
 
Silver, yes, I did use the same surgeon. When I went into talk about my leg feeling "loose", he downplayed the problem. But, when I went in for the scar tissue issue, he admitted that the moving in the knee could have made the adhesions worse. He was confidant that if he tightened up the knee with a bigger spacer then the adhesions would not return. They have returned to some degree, but not as bad as they were and the knee is MUCH more stable and more comfortable too. Ask any questions that you need answered!
 
Skigirl,
I suppose that it is no use trying to get someone else to pay for this. Did you even try? Also, perhaps I should bring up scar tissue in my pre-op? Anything else I should know? I am so ready for this to be over.
Thanks very much! Silver
 
Also, can someone change the name of my thread?
Knee replacement, now revision
 
Also, I am having a Dr. Peretz at Resurgeons in Atlanta do my revision. Hoping this is a good choice? He is not my original surgeon. He is a revision expert.
 
Skigirl,
I suppose that it is no use trying to get someone else to pay for this. Did you even try? Also, perhaps I should bring up scar tissue in my pre-op? Anything else I should know? I am so ready for this to be over.
Thanks very much! Silver


Silver, I am on Medicare and they did pay for the revision---am not sure why your insurance would not pay for it, is that your question? I did change the name of your thread for you too!! I hope all goes well.
 
Hi Silver,
There are several of us on the forum that have had revisions recently, and are going to be having revisions soon. Some of us like you have a knee that moving around too much and causing pain. Glad you have found a revision specialist, and be sure to ask any questions you have during your pre op. The OS office will get pre authorization before surgery, no reason your insurance shouldn't pay for the revision.
Keep us posted on how you are doing,
 
Thanks all! Most people keep asking me if the surgeon made a mistake, and that is why I was asking about payment. My insurance will pay but people keep pushing me towards an attorney. I did not think it was worth my time.

Also, what is your recovery time for most of you? I always take what the surgeon tells me with a grain of salt. He wants me to do the revision (March 4), then do a partial knee replacement on my right knee at the end of April and tells me I will be ready to travel and not do much by the end of June. I find that highly unlikely!!

This has been so discouraging. I have had trouble since the 6 month mark. I have never been able to one foot stairs. I was pretty athletic before all this, so it has turned me upside down. I cannot walk far without intense pain.
Does this help most people? I know there are no guarantees.

Thanks all! Silver
 
Also, did anyone know anything about my surgeon above? I am assuming not.
Thank you!
 
Silver the lining is the most subjective part of the tkr. Here is what my doc said, he put a spacer in that he felt was right---but afterwards, he saw how limber I am and how flexible my joints are. He decided at the two year mark when I was having trouble with adhesions holding down my kneecap that he would put in a thicker spacer. it did make a huge difference!! I was immediately more stable---but, I never had the kind of constant pain that you have had. Did you original OS blow you off?

My OS does not have a great personality or bedside manner, but he is a really good surgeon. I could understand about the spacer---and frankly, I don't have any blame in my heart. But, if he had implied that it was all in my head--or that I needed to work harder---or that I was imagining things---I might have a different response.

You have endured this for a very long time and I do understand your frustration. You have lost time out of your life. and that does count for something.

In terms of recovery. The pain was done by about day 5---I did not take any pain meds after the first week. I have a high pain threshold--but I think two or even three weeks would be the max. It took some time to build up my muscles and to gain back my strength. But, I had to go slowly because of the adhesions---I think that if that had not been the case I would have been okay in a month tops.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom