Revision TKR Knee replacement, now revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Silver,
Just checking in to see how you are doing?
Hope you are doing well!
My surgery is Tuesday for a revision of my LTKR.
 
Hi Pumpkin,
I am a bit discouraged right now. I was rolling along real well and PT people were proud of me, etc. And then my ugly
tendinitis came back this week right at the 5 week mark. That is what I have been dealing with for the last year and a half so needless to say, I am discouraged. I had hoped it was gone and would not come back. I do think my leg is tighter and more stable, but right now the tendinitis is holding me back once again. SO painful.

I wish you much much luck and hugs and health and well being. I know you will do great! Please stay in touch afterwards!

Silver
 
I would love to find other people that have had tendinitis issues and how they resolved them. Does anyone know anything to help me? I wish I had never had a knee replacement!

Silver
 
Hi @Silver . I Have tendinitis issues too. Developed Patellar tendinitis a few weeks ago and was just told by my PT that the painful pinching behind my knee is most likely tendinitis of that hamstring muscle. I wear a strap right below my knee that puts pressure on my Patella that helps with the pain. Massage was suggested for the hamstring issue. Just rubbing real hard where it hurt as well as ice. The thing about tendinitis, as u know, is that it takes forever to go away, but it will. There are some articles in the library on here regarding different massage techniques and such to help. So sorry you are having a rough time. What sort of tendinitis do you have?
 
Oh Silver I am sorry for your new fresh hell. Tendinitis on the back of a revision is just not right. I hope you get some answers and a course of treatment soon!
 
Oh bummer on the tendonitis. What I've heard is rest, gentle stretching and massage as options.
 
I am 6 month post TKR and I also have the painful pinching behind my knee when it is bent all the way and it almost feels like a nerve being pinched.
My Doctor did not mention tendinitis he just acts like I dont really have the pain.
Have they come up with a solution for your pain or even a plan yet?
 
Hi all,
My doctor has only seen me once since surgery (I am 8 weeks) and does not see me again until June. I have to get my PT extended next week so will call them. I just really do not know what my issue is. Some tendinitis. The PT thinks I have some bone pain (but all they did was replace the spacer so would there have been bone issues?). I have a great PT person but I just do not feel like it is enough. I want to do maybe some massage or acupuncture or active release for tendons, but my PT person thinks it is too soon. My knee hurts badly all the time and it is still all in the knee (some patellar) and the tendon outside the knee. I am just so frustrated and do not know where to turn at this point.
Silver
 
Hi Silver,
Positional release can help with tendonitis, the technique is called Strain Counter Strain (google: Jones Institute strain counter strain). Ask your PT if they know this technique or if anyone in the office does? It is a very gentle non invasive technique.
Hope this clears up for you soon,
 
I think you want to be gentle with the tendonitis. I hope things settle down for you soon.
 
Hi again all,
Thank you for all your help! I appreciate it! My PT is a very standard PT who believes that strength cures all.
BUT I have found a new place where I have just moved to that uses a holistic approach. With standard PT, massage, accupressure, aquatics, etc. Should I switch in everyone's opinion? My seems a bit more complicated than the normal knee. I had a massage yesterday (my mom and I are at a resort) and she said my IT band was a mess. Never heard that from PT before but when she touched it above my knee, I almost went through the ceiling. The massage was helpful for sure!
If any of you have done more than the standard PT, I would love to hear your stories.

Thanks! Silver
 
Silver,
I am a PT I use many different techniques, I am an Aston Patterning Certified Practioner, I use myofacial release, strain counter strain, muscle energy techniques, toning, stretching, movement education, body mechanics, heat/cold, electrical stimulation, cold laser, ultrasound, and most important client education in self care, to empower the client to take care of themselves when they are discharged.
If I feel someone needs something I do not offer, I send them to another PT, even it it means referring out of my office.
From what you said it is time to find a PT who has a broader base of training than just doing strengthening. How they missed your IT band is a mystery to me.
It it was me, I would switch ASAP.
 
Pumpkin,
I do not want you to think they are a bad PT, and they did mention stretching my IT band, but never that I was having issues with it. Anyway, I have made the switch. I had my eval Friday and start on Monday. They use IMT and will put me in the pool and try to get me out of pain BEFORE strengthening and I think this is what I need. Wish me luck! I will keep you guys posted!
 
@Silver
Sorry I gave the wrong impression, I just felt you needed a PT with a different approach.
What is IMT?
Glad you have found someone that will be a better match for you.
I wish I could get into the pool :swim:, have a few more weeks for my incision to fully heal.
Good Luck,
 
Pumpkin,
How are you doing? Does it seem to be working for you? Successful revision?
I like my new PT but so far the pain is the same. I have been to the eval, then once for IMT (Integrative Manual Therapy) and once for aquatics. I do love it all so far, but no change in the pain in my knee. I am really thinking about adding acupuncture to deal with some of my nerve pain. I am not sure any of these methods will help me with that and maybe acupuncture will.
I go again tomorrow, so we shall see!
Thanks! Silver
 
I wish the IMT was helping. Some people love acupuncture, won't know if it will help until you try it.
The revision is working well, still to early to know how this will work out. Still early in recovery, my ROM, strength, mobility all seem to be on schedule or even ahead of schedule.
Good luck,
 
Pumpkin,
Glad you are doing so well. Fingers crossed that you will be good as new and the revision works!
I do think this will work, just slowly. I have been in pain for a year and a half, so I think it may just take awhile to work it out.
It is very inflamed in the knee. But he tried all different techniques yesterday and sent me home with Kinesio tape on my knee and it is the most pain free I have been in a long long time! Progress finally!
Again, am thinking of you as well and hope we both come through this with flying colors.
Thanks for your help! Silver
 
I am happy to hear that the Kinesio taping is helping. Having less pain must be wonderful. Progress at last!
We tried Kinesio tape on my knee and it started burning and got worse so I had to take the tape off after an hour. Interesting how we are all different.
Thank you for your positive thoughts for our great recoveries.:SUNsmile:
 
Pumpkin,
The tape fell off the second day and did burn as it came off. So now, I have a knee brace on and it does the same thing. I think the pressure must help my nerve pain. But all the work he did on my knee was amazing as well. I am SO glad I switched PT!
What works best for you?
Silver
 
Hi Silver. Just writing to say Hi to a fellow revisionist. I am 3 months post revision and like you it's been a tricky recovery. Good news for me is my knee is straight and bendy since early on. Bad news it's chronically hot and inflamed. Saw surgeon yesterday and he is not concerned just yet. His advice is to stay away from repetitive exercise like bike and elliptical, focus on walking and swimming and wear a neoprene sleeve. So as for wearing the sleeve....FANTASTIC! My knee is so much more comfortable after just one day. What kind of brace are you wearing? I am going to ask for the Kinesio tape at my next PT session. How is the tendinitis? Did your new PT give you at home stretches for IT band? Thank you for updating your thread and sharing your story. Very helpful!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom