TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

Was it difficult having tkr in winter?
I had my PKR at the end of October 22.
I think Winter is harder. Icing isn't so pleasant when the weather is cold. Plus walking on wet leaves or icy pavements is terrifying.
Don't worry about giving very detailed progress reports. It's useful for others as well as yourself.
The variations in English expressions around the world are fascinating and have been around for a long time.
An Indian friend had an old book called Hobson's Jobson which was a kind of dictionary of Indian English expressions. If you read an Indian English newspaper it is amazing. They use a term called prepone ( as opposed to postpone) meaning to bring an event forward- which we don't have in England. There are lots of words and expressions I had to have explained.
 
Pain, pain more pain today. I started to cook a curry but had to go sit down once it was all in the pot. Husband is a hopeless cook and is well on the way to ruining the dinner. I can smell it burning . He can’t hear me when I call out instructions because he doesn’t wear his hearing aids.
I know I shouldn’t be angry but I’m at my wits end today.
 
I found being able to stand in the kitchen one of the last things to return.
I could walk 2-3 miles in one go- before I could stand for more than a few minutes comfortably in one place. Standing really made me stiff and miserable.
It is annoying when others take over and then mess up though.
Try to go easy on yourself and your husband. It will get better!
 
@EalingGran thank you for reminding me that standing is harder than walking. I’d temporarily forgotten.
My husband says I’m limping badly this morning even though I use a walker. I wish I knew why the pain has increased these last few days! I am only cycling for one minute a day and this is painless. I am doing a couple of heel slides which do hurt and toe taps on the step. I also do a sideways walk while holding onto the kitchen bench which is painless too. My husband say to stop everything except walking…??? Good idea or not? I really enjoy that one minute on the pedals though!
I know it can be one step forward two back in the recovery but if I could figure out what my knee is trying to tell me…!
 
If the heel slides hurt your knee is telling you to stop them for a few days, and when you resume only bend to your current comfort level.
 
I am doing a couple of heel slides which do hurt and toe taps on the step. I also do a sideways walk while holding onto the kitchen bench which is painless too. My husband say to stop everything except walking…??? Good idea or not?
I have to agree with him on this one. Give yourself several days of just short walks, and daily activities, then since you like the peddler, do that, one minute at a time. Those two activities are much better for you, at this very early stage than toe tapping on a step, or sideways motions, in my opinion.
 
My husband says I’m limping badly this morning even though I use a walker.
How are your feet doing? Do you think the issues you’ve had with them in the past are having any effect right now?
 
@Jockette , I still have nerve pain in my feet but I don’t know if that’s affecting my gait. I have had so many surgeries on the feet and they are full of metal so it wouldn’t surprise me. Unless the screws come loose again there’s nothing more they can do for my feet.
 
I think the heel slides are uncomfortable because I cannot walk without shoes and sliding my poor foot along a hard floor hurts. I can feel the metal plate. Even though I slide on a plastic vag.
 
My border collie walks in front of me, just like last time. I don’t know why she does this but it’s as if it’s her duty to escort me.
That is so sweet! She's your protector, too. You can't have that protection with cats!
At least you had your kitties.
Mine kept me super busy during my recovery, plus gave me lots of love!
 
Week 4
Thanks to all who respond to my posts; you really help.
The pain is only when I walk, behind the knee now and there’s some clicking. I’m not worried about this but I certainly couldn’t walk without an assistive device just yet. The knee is no longer buckling.
There’s still a patch of inflammation at the distal end of the suture line and I think it’s as @Layla says: a stitch being spat out. I wish it would hurry up as I can’t put anything on the suture line until it settles down. I use vitamin E cream after all my surgeries. Works well.

@sistersinhim , I remember you admired my beautiful dog when I posted a pic last time. I know you don’t get the same behaviour from kitties but they still love you and are adorable, just like the gorgeous bunny someone on here has!

I went out for coffee yesterday. I was fine and although it hurt, I managed to walk for 15 minutes around the shopping centre. So wonderful to sit in the autumn sunshine and be a part of the normal world again!
The physio is coming this afternoon. Our private health insurer has cut down on the number of post op visits and only pays for four. I am very happy about this. Last time they paid for twenty! I didn’t need them. If I did want further physio they would pay a portion of the cost.
Over Easter I am hoping to get back to my writing. I’m working on a book of short stories; something very different this time.
 
I hope if it is a suture it surfaces soon!
Great news your knee is no longer buckling and it is wonderful you made it out for coffee in the beautiful Autumn weather.
What an interesting project you’re working on, a book of short stories. I’ll bet you’re a woman of many talents, kiwicurls. Hope your PT session is a good one!

Signs of spitting suture -
  • Redness in the area
  • Can be slightly swollen
  • Small raised bump
  • Stitches poking through the skin
  • Mild pain or discomfort
  • Foreign body sensation

 
No buckling, a good walk, and sunshine - yay!!!!

My almost 14 month old knee clicks like a metronome when I walk. Pity it doesn't track steps!
 
@mendogal, had a laugh at your metronome analogy. I only experienced clicking in the early weeks after the first tkr. I hope yours stops being noisy eventually. Can others hear you coming?
Yes, I am always grateful for the small pleasures in life and don’t take them for granted even though I may seem a bit negative on here.
@Layla , I can’t see the stitch but it’s hard to tell with the leg hairs growing back so nice and spikey. Time will tell but the other signs/symptoms are there.
No, I’m certainly not a woman of many talents. But people seem to enjoy my books so I’m grateful. I wrote a children’s book just for my grandchildren (about bullying) and they loved it. My grandson now wants to be an author like me but I’m trying to gently point out, it’s not a very reliable source of income and I had over 40 years of nursing behind me before venturing into books. Do you know what he said?
“Yes, but mine will be a best seller, Gran!”
Ah, the optimism of a child!
 
For me it's been painting. Art school before nursing school, and I continued painting during most of the 40 years nursing, working as a nurse mostly part time. I knew I wouldn't ever support myself from selling art!

My husband denies hearing the clicking but you know... Husbands and selective hearing!
 
Ah yes, the selective hearing! know it well.
That’s a beautiful thing to do. What do you paint? I’ll bet you’re very good at it too.
It’s wonderful to be creative.
 
It is something so relaxing about sitting in the nice springtime sunshine! I'm glad you had a good walk.
 
My grandson now wants to be an author like me but I’m trying to gently point out, it’s not a very reliable source of income and I had over 40 years of nursing behind me before venturing into books. Do you know what he said?
“Yes, but mine will be a best seller, Gran!”
So precious...Good for him, that confidence will take him far. How wonderful for you to be able to write a book for your grandkids to be passed down through the generations. That's a true gift.
Happy One Month Anniversary, kiwicurls!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom