MUA Kimber PT Update

No problem, all new posts get read, so people will see any new questions or comments you have right here.
 
Soooooo happy. Was able to put full weight today. Walked with one crutch for the first time. ROM improved from 5-95 last week to 3-100 today .... so happy with new therapist though think a lot turned with cortisone shot a couple weeks ago
 
I lay on my side the first week I was home, although a little uncomfortable. I can’t stand sleeping on my back. Stomach sleeping was a few weeks later, if I remember correctly.
 
@Beckadeez I only got to side sleeping about 3 weeks ago - like 3 months post op

Wash just think about trying the belly
 
I couldn't side-sleep until after three months. Doing so was my primary goal for a while, more important than ROM or anything... I wanted to sleep! :rotfl:
 
@suzieshoes too funny! It’s definitely been on the list as a top priority with everyone looking at me like “what’s the problem?” Just not as easy as it seems lLOL
 
Finally got back to my own home Sat - able to walk with one crutch though still using 2 a lot because of stamina

Question: as you do more at bearing and activity, does ROM go down? I was at 100 a week ago, 95 on Friday and 90 today
 
Your ROM can go down, if increased activity also increases the swelling of your knee.
Don't worry - ROM will come back again.
 
In these early, post MUA days, any increased activities will increase swelling. Even if you can't see it, it is swollen inside your knee. When it is swollen, it can't bend as much.
 
Thanks - it’s what I thought but just looking for reassurance
 
ROM numbers will fluctuate depending on lots of things. Swelling is an important cause of less knee bending, so as your swelling changes so will your bend. Try not to put too much importance on numbers, because so many things can make them change: time of day, activity level, who is doing the measuring and how, and even whether you are having a little monthly water retention. Whether 100 or 90, you have good flexion for this point in recovery from your MUA, and it will continue to get better.
 
Just a quick update- so my follow up with my doctor after my last post regarding more activity and a decline in ROM led to a second MUA - I’m about 2 weeks out from that.

There has been - since original surgery a pain on the medial side of my knee - really above the knee. Doctor says it might be fat pad that gets a bit twisted - it’s really the only pain in the knee and what holds me back from stretching more

Has anyone experienced this?
 
I'm sorry you had the second MUA. Please will you tell us the date you had that, so we can add it to your signature? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

If only some surgeons would be more patient! I think your knee would have settled down again and now the second MUA has re-traumatized it.

Please don't worry about that pain and don't try to do lots of exercise, to try and get ROM. All you need to do is keep your knee moving gently. Your poor knee needs time to heal.
 
I'm sorry you had the second MUA. Please will you tell us the date you had that, so we can add it to your signature? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

If only some surgeons would be more patient! I think your knee would have settled down again and now the second MUA has re-traumatized it.

Please don't worry about that pain and don't try to do lots of exercise, to try and get ROM. All you need to do is keep your knee moving gently. Your poor knee needs time to heal.

The second MUA was 2/11 - no scope this time so at least less traumatic

Most of the swelling is gone except in the area medial to the patella. Pretty much where the pain is

So I had been at 90 ROM prior now settled in at 110 since ROM but the knee feels more engaged

PT expects me off crutches in 2 weeks

Surgeon said there was more scar tissue in the second MUA compared to the first so it’s less about ROM and more about preventing scar tissue
 
PT expects me off crutches in 2 weeks
What happens if you're not ready to come off of the crutches? YOU are the one who should be in control of your recovery and safety, no one else. If you didn't have scar tissue your wounds would be open. If you exercise too much now, those inflamed tissues will become hot and sticky. That's when adhesions form. You have to have scar tissue and adhesions are very rare. Yes, the number-obsessed PTs and OSs will rattle on about it as if the big, bad "scar tissue" is just sitting there, waiting to pounce if you don't do enough exercise.

Actually, it's quite the reverse. The infamous scar tissue (which is more correctly called adhesions) is very rare, and one of the easiest ways to develop it is to work your knee too hard. Over-worked knees get inflamed and hot, and hot tissues become drier than normal and more likely to stick together and form adhesions.

This article explains the difference between scar tissue and adhesions:
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

You need normal scar tissue. That's what holds your incision together, and it's part of the normal healing process. Without it, you'd always have an open wound.
 
It’s not so much that they are in a rush to get me off crutches. In fact I was doing some walking without crutches prior to the MUA and we all agreed to go back to two andbaby it after

But my leg is so atrophied that there is no firing of the quad - my disability is up and I need to find a way to function .... I can’t do it with two crutches I just can’t
 
I'm glad you're still doing some kind of walking aid. Some people like crutches and other canes. Either way you'll be be getting aid to stability.
 
I'm glad you're still doing some kind of walking aid. Some people like crutches and other canes. Either way you'll be be getting aid to stability.

I’m sure even when off crutches I’ll still be using them at certain times. I just need to be living again - I need enough strength and movement to drive again. I feel like a prisoner right now
 
I'm sure you do feel frustrated - I would too - but you do need to think about your safety. With a quad that is not firing properly and a leg that is atrophied, getting rid of the crutches too soon means that you will be at risk of having a fall.

You've had a long recovery, set back by two MUAs, and anyone in those circumstances would feel trapped. I'm just concerned about your safety.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom