MUA Kimber PT Update

@Hood1980

My routine is pedals for about 15 min - takes about 7 min to get warm enough to go from 3/4 rotation to full with 90 degree bend - no resistance two to three times daily

I then do kicks in chair - trying to actively move - I found a little improvement when I started using the pedals as the goal at the top - I can now get a little higher but maybe on 10 to 80 ROM in that

I do wall slides or just let my knee hang over the sofa arm getting to 90

Yoga ball with minor rotation and push over knee to about 90

I do some weight bearing (actually stand pressing down on my dog’s rubber ball) and have been trying to walk more (in lieu of one pedal routine)

I DID see doc today. He is convinced I’m just a slow healer with fibers compressing the capsule. He said that the 90 is good and that I’ll probably have a breakthrough that makes a bigger difference in ROM. He is looking to see if my insurance will cover vet the extension brace machine - can’t remember what it’s called. He DID give me a cortisone shot today - will let you know how it feels in the next couple days. He said he sees a lot of success with shoulder ROM issues with the shot

I’m now allowed to go into the pool - so I may be adjusting my daily routine
 
One of our members, Bertschb, kept a record of his ROM process. He agreed for us to post it for those of you that are afraid you're stuck. The key is to have patience! Bertschb says:

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.

Wow! I like that you kept this record - wish I had done the same. Will do for my right knee which is 3 months today. But how do you measure your ROM by yourself? Please share. Many thanks.
T
 
So had the cortisone shot Friday. Took a couple days to kick in. I am feeling more leg engagement- slight improved flexion on pedals. Able to get a bit more lateral movement and the leg seems to do more (dog relearning tricks) .... hoping it continues

I get fitted for a dynasplint tomorrow for flexion - the rep tells me it should not be a torture device but a slow extension - once we have the full extension we’ll maybe use it for increased flexion

Side note- my steristrips finally came off. There seems to be a stick still poking out of one of the incisions - what do I do? Wait for next doc appointment?
 
Note admin- can’t find my original post - sorry.

So I had the cortisone shot and it has eliminated most pain. I’m using the dynasplint for extension and changed PHysical therapists and I am soooo happy.

We are focusing on engaging the quad to get the knee working naturally. Last week has 10-90 ROM and 50% weight. This week was 4-95 ROM without forcing and 65% weight bearing.

His goal is 5-10 flexion added per week. But noooo forcing. He is the first to say: pain=yellow light if it continues then red light

I do have a question: I was doing quad presses standing against a wall trying to get the calf to touch the wall. No pain but when releasing the extension and moving into active flexion there was a hitch (no pain, no click) just a release like the ligament move sideways - this happened at about 50 degrees flexion after being at about 10 extension

Any thoughts on what this is?
 
@kdleo88 I merged your new thread with your original thread. I kept the new title that you picked. If you want a different title, just say so and we'll get that changed for you.
 
Hi, @kdleo88. I don’t have the expertise in anatomy to guess what might be hitching in your knee, but I am familiar with the sensation, so maybe that will be useful. My left knee had a spot that would hurt on flexion for a while, like there was something it needed to get past (or stretch past) and once I passed that point the pain would cease—but I would feel it again as the knee went back to straight. I have no idea what it was —a bursa, a tendon, a ligament— but it was probably swollen and unhappy. It gradually got better and hurt less and less. At about six months, it went away entirely.

I think our healing knees have lots of these kinds of issues. Most resolve with TLC and time. I bet your physical therapist or OS would have a more informed idea about what might be happening with your knee, but chances are it’s just one of those things your knee needs to work through. Gently. :)
 
@SusieShoes yeah, I’d worry if it hurt- saw the doc today and he thinks since it is only with certain movements that it might be muscle imbalance leading to the patella off-tracking

We’re just to watch it for now
 
I have a similar situation with my patella. Not fun at all. It’s good your surgeon is watching it, my surgeon has not acknowledged anything wrong.
 
Note admin- can’t find my original post - sorry.

So I had the cortisone shot and it has eliminated most pain. I’m using the dynasplint for extension and changed PHysical therapists and I am soooo happy.

We are focusing on engaging the quad to get the knee working naturally. Last week has 10-90 ROM and 50% weight. This week was 4-95 ROM without forcing and 65% weight bearing.

His goal is 5-10 flexion added per week. But noooo forcing. He is the first to say: pain=yellow light if it continues then red light

I do have a question: I was doing quad presses standing against a wall trying to get the calf to touch the wall. No pain but when releasing the extension and moving into active flexion there was a hitch (no pain, no click) just a release like the ligament move sideways - this happened at about 50 degrees flexion after being at about 10 extension

Any thoughts on what this is?

What does the weight bearing part mean?
 
I have a similar situation with my patella. Not fun at all. It’s good your surgeon is watching it, my surgeon has not acknowledged anything wrong.

How long ago was your surgery? Has it gotten any better?

My surgeon seemed confused by it, took his fingers into the area to check the ligaments more assertively than he had before. He wanted to make sure it was stable and if he could feel anything. I was glad he didn’t dismiss it and even though he didn’t sound 100% confident in his answer, it felt plausible -

Since I’m. It in pain, and it isn’t in every movement, i figure I’m okay watching it
 
@backadeez

Being able to stand and bear the weight on my recovering knee is progress in a couple ways: 1. I’m closer to losing a crutch and getting back to my home with some independence again. 2. By reengaging my knee muscles, the leg will passively hold my extension and flexion progress ... right now if I extend my foot up from my knee I can only get halfway up even though the knee extends farther

Does that answer your question? (Sorry if I misunderstood what you are asking)
 
How long ago was your surgery? Has it gotten any better?

My partial knee replacement was a year ago. I had a Patellofemoral replacement.

For months I’ve had an issue with a spot on the lower lateral area. I recently taped the knee with kinesio tape and that Spot was much better. I get a very uncomfortable feeling in that spot when I lean forward to do anything, loading/unloading the dishwasher, making the bed, etc. Repeated bending and straightening makes it feel weird, too. It felt better doing theses things when it was taped.

At my one year check last week my surgeon listened to my concerns but he had no explanation or advice, other than if the tape helped then keep doing it. He did not put his hand on my knee and have me bend and straighten it.

A couple of days after my appointment I was putting some ointment on my knee (my skin got very irritated from the tape) and I actually massaged the knee, which I rarely do because things (the patella?) move around and it feels creepy, but anyway, this time something changed. The lower lateral feeling moved over in front of the knee and it felt more comfortable.

But that was last week and now that feeling is back to the lower lateral spot.

Does yours feel like that at all?

My next step is a second opinion. I’m just not ready to do that yet. It’s been a long year of recovery.
 
@Jockette yeah I thought your surgery was a while before mine

It slightly below the patella, more lateral than centered .... it is a weird feeling.

I’ve been working on keeping my knee in it’s normal alignment when doing PT because it’s leaning inward and it feels better when I support the medial side pushing the knee more in line with my toes.

I can understand not wanting a second opinion and more potential ‘stuff’ - I’m still early in restrengthening so I’m crossing my fingers that my surgeon’s thought process is on target
 
Your knee sure has been through a lot! I hope your recovery goes well.
 
Just curious how long it took before people could lay on stomach? I
 
@kdleo88
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I was bound and determined to lay on my side first, with in the first 3 weeks, tummy time much later. I am not a back sleeper. During the early months, any sleep position was very precious!
 
I didn’t try to lay on my tummy until about three months out, but at that point it was easy enough. My knees complained a little the next day, though. It’s one of those try it and see if it works kind of thing.
 
@kdleo88
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Sorry - thought a general question was ok in a new thread .... my bad :-)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom