Guest viewing is limited

MUA Kimber PT Update

People need to be needed. Your mom will always be your mom and will always want you to need her. It's just in our nature! Let her be blessed by being able to help you through this. You will get better and as Celle said, there will come a time when you can 'pay back' your mom by helping her. Just remember that it is a blessing to be able to help someone. Your mom is being blessed by helping you!
 
Unassisted is definitely the only one that counts. Your surgeon already proved what your knee is capable of doing. What you can do (not what the therapist can do) is what matters now. After all, you won’t have anyone at hand to bend your knee that extra few degrees when you are up and about, using your knee.

There won’t be many times like this in your life. Your time of need will pass. Rather than think of yourself as a burden, why not think of your loved ones as blessings? You have an amazing family! I smiled just reading about them, and especially your grandmother. How wonderful that she can help! Your son is learning some priceless lessons, too, about family and doing for others.

As for your sense of humor... that’s the most powerful weapon in your arsenal! If you can find the humor in the day to day (... to day... to day) of recovery, you are mighty indeed.
 
@sistersinhim @SusieShoes thanks - I know I am blessed for their help- 18 months ago I’d have been I’m Cali on my own with a teenage boy.... some days are certainly more challenging than others

Regarding the unassisted - are the pedals considered assisted?
 
Saw an old thread about cortisone shot .... I see my Doc on Friday.... when I saw him three weeks ago, he mentioned getting a cortisone shot if he wasn’t happy with how I’m progressing

Does anyone have experience with this? What to expect day of, shortly after and in the weeks following

FYI - I do t know that he’ll recommend it Friday - just trying to do some preliminary research
 
Bump... anyone?

Having a really hard time. My mom keeps making comments “why aren’t you putting full weight - just do it. Just bend it more .... I guess you’re just going to be like that....”
 
I’m sorry that your recovery is being misunderstood by others. Maybe if you show your mom this thread and the advice you’ve been given here she will understand better. Any surgery involving the bending of the knee is going to take a long time to recover from. There is lots of swelling inside, even if you can’t see it, that prevents the knee from bending.
 
@kdleo88. I’ll be 2 weeks post MUA tomorrow and I’m really fed up with people too that are telling me about this person or that person (all of which are older than me) that sailed through their TKR and were on with their lives by 3 months! I just want to scream! Just bend it they say. Just walk up steps! Walk! Ride your bike! You should be able to grocery shop, clean, etc by now! Well, I’m not. In fact, I’m using a walker most days. I’m only using ibuprofen and icing for pain on the positive side. This is a long, hard recovery process. I had no idea! I was hoping by the end of this month (3 months post surgery) that life would be returning to normal. Mine is not. We can be miserable together. Lol but not really lol!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Hood1980 I’m not much older than you and very active. Thanks for sharing because there have bee times I want to kick my PT when he asks what’s up for the weekend - it’s like seriously, I’m going to continue to sit on my butt

My surgery was 12/8 and MUA 2/9 - sounds like we’re pretty close in timelines

I just don’t get it - the knee moves on the pedals, it extends when forced but I can’t take a step and get the knee to extend or flex in any way - it just feels dead
 
I’m sorry that your recovery is being misunderstood by others. Maybe if you show your mom this thread and the advice you’ve been given here she will understand better. Any surgery involving the bending of the knee is going to take a long time to recover from. There is lots of swelling inside, even if you can’t see it, that prevents the knee from bending.

@Jockette - good idea, thanks.
 
I see my Doc on Friday.... when I saw him three weeks ago, he mentioned getting a cortisone shot if he wasn’t happy with how I’m progressing
I've never heard of anyone having a cortisone shot after surgery to repair internal knee ligaments, so I'm going to ask @Josephine for her advice for you.

It seems to me that your surgeon is expecting a faster recovery than your knee can manage.
I'd be inclined to ask for more time, so your knee can heal a bit more. First it had the surgery and then it had an MUA, which will have set back its recovery.

Having a really hard time. My mom keeps making comments “why aren’t you putting full weight - just do it. Just bend it more .... I guess you’re just going to be like that....”
I'm sorry your mom is hassling you. She's concerned for you, but she doesn't understand.

Try telling her not to worry and that you're doing just what you're meant to be doing.

Remind her that recovery from orthopaedic surgery can take a long time and that your knee is still a work in progress, not the finished article.
 
I heard a lot from others, too. My personal favorite “you’re still having problems?” No, I’m having an average recovery!

I live in a 55+ community. Many of us spend time together. 2 of my friend’s had TKRs after me. I had a partial, promoted to be a quicker recovery, blah blah blah. It was hard to watch them do things I couldn’t and hear reports of how they were doing. I finally asked the one some specific questions and found out all was not as well as appeared. She was 7 months post op and said she felt like she still had an arthritic knee.

People can be so inconsiderate. What appears to be great probably isn’t if we actually spoke to the person themselves.

I have never before experienced so many comments about a medical issue. It has been one of the biggest shocks of this recovery.
 
@Celle he mentioned it for pain and swelling- not to repair anything
 
@Jockette and @Celle yeah, I’ve never experienced such a physically limiting issue ever. I do t get it, I do t know how to get others to understand it either

How can I bend it manually but not move it in any really normal way? It is so counterintuitive to everything I know
 
Healing takes time. Lots of it. More than anyone told us.

All I heard from other replacement recipients was how good their outcome was and how they wished they’d done it sooner. Not ONE told me how hard this recovery is. I believed all the promises about partials and my reality has been very hard to accept.

And to be honest, I am still having issues. I will be one year next week. Do I just need more time? Or is there a problem? Who knows. I bet my surgeon will pull out the “scar tissue” response. That seems to be their go to answer.
 
People insensitive comments is why we need Bonesmart so much. We empathize with you because we've been through the same thing you're going through! Try and shrug off people's comments and come on here and vent. We care!
 
@kdleo88 same here...the knees bend fine on the bike. I usually only do it once or twice a day for 10 mins each time and the rest is ADL. I’m not seeing any progress. I was wondering what your exercise routine is?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom