Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kelpie's First New Knee

That's good Sue. The meds make me thirsty too! I usually get through at least a pint of water through the night. I had to dash to the loo when I woke up!

Awesome!!! These small little victories are what we crave in our hunt for normalcy!

That's why these surgeries are life changing. It's not just having a new knee, it's learning to appreciate the small things. I survived a mis-diagnosed ruptured appendix in 1997, ending up with once again misdiagnosed peritonitis and septicaemia. It was a long, hard battle that at times I didn't think I'd win (although very different from this surgery with I chose to have). It was life changing. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves to count our blessings, no matter how small.
 
I have also decided to sack my PT. I've only been twice. The first time she was filled with enthusiasm although she didn't do anything. Just told me to do what the hospital physio said. The second time, she didn't do anything and was clearly in a rush to leave to do her Christmas shopping! I don't think there's any point in wasting either of our time!
 
That's why these surgeries are life changing. It's not just having a new knee, it's learning to appreciate the small things.
Yes----our lives have been wrapped around pills, injections, braces, and limitations for so long---and the dreaded thought that "I will pay for that..." after we do too much.

When one is fully recovered, it is ironic---but normal is "no big deal" and we can get on with our life in the way that we were intended to. We find out that we have forgotten how great---and how normal---it is simply to have knees do what they are supposed to do!
 
My LTKR was so much different than my recent RTKR ! Couldn't sleep more than 2 hrs at a time for months, made me pretty miserable. This time sleeping was all I wanted to do for the first 6 weeks or so. Slept for 12 hours on my 3rd day home except for trips to the bathroom. Came home taking 50mg Tramadol 6x daily, now down to 4x daily . Until last night I took Tylenol extra strength @ 3:00 A M. Fortunately, last night I didn't need it. Constipation is always a problem when I take too much pain med. Miralax has solved that problem, thank goodness. Massaging my knee front & back with Eucerine calming creme feels good and seems to loosen things up a bit. This is such a long process. Going through it twice has made me feel down at times. No sooner was one knee better, than the other one went downhill quickly. By this summer I will have 2 good knees, hooray !!!
 
Hi Karol, I've been through the phase of killing of the poo fairy with my meds. She has returned and is a much loved friend once again! I too, slept for hours and hours in the early weeks. My sleep issues are a fairly recent development. I'm hoping to get my other knee done in late summer. At least this time I'll be better prepared with what to expect!
 
Another good night. Bed at 9.30 pm and went to sleep pretty quickly. I woke at 2.20, popped two paracetamol (husband had a to remind me this morning to fill in my meds log this morning) and straight back to sleep. Woke briefly at 6 when himself got up and then again when the alarm went off at 7.30 am. I make that 10 hours of minimally broken sleep! YAY!

My youngest son stayed last night on his way to a meeting today in Norwich. It was lovely to see him and nice to know he was tucked up in the room next door. We don't see much of him since we moved from Wiltshire.
 
Week 10

The last week has been better as I'm managing to get some good quality sleep. The knee, on a good day, is actually smaller than my unoperated knee. I didn't realise my unoperated knee was so swollen until now. I am strangely keen to make arrangements for my second operation now. Excited almost. ROM is around 120/0 but I don't bother measuring. I know it'll come good with time. Unless I do too much, I'm pain free and apart from occasional paracetamol, I'm med free during the day. Now my sleep is sorting itself out, I will gradually start to reduce the codeine and Tramadol in the evenings and before bed.

I asked my eldest son what I could do for my husband to thank him for his endless love and care for me over the past 2 months and he suggested a holiday in the French Alps where his colleague has a chalet within sight of Mont Blanc! We've decided to head there for a week in June. If I'm ready, we'll go on the motorbikes. I not, it'll be by car. It's great to have someting to look forward to to.

I'm still not able to walk far without repercussions in the form form of "pay back time" in the evenings. However, my gait is good and I'm limp free unless tired. I can do stairs both up and down, unsupported. Last Sunday we went to our Advanced Motorcylists meeting on a nearby airfield. I took the car and spent most of the time watching from there. But I did stand and chat for a good 20 minutes in the cold wind. It took me two hours and a hot bath to warm me up and I didn't feel great by evening. I can however, cope fine with wondering round the supermarket once a week for 45 minutes. Standing isn't good. Ambling around the food aisles is ok.

All in all, a good week although I still feel far from normal unless I'm at home, working or pottering about. It doesn't take much to remind me that I'm on a long road with some distance yet to travel. However, the road is straightening out and I've just about conquered the rockiest parts. Just a few hills to climb before I reach the flat plains of Normality!
 
I'm so pleased for you that your sleep has been better. Mine was much better last night too. Your ROM is really good, I just wish mine was as good! It's good to have a holiday to look forward to, we sat & booked ours a few weeks ago. Sounds like you are abit happier this week, isn't it nice to get back to going out. I'm sure that you will be on "that bike" before you know it. :yes!:
 
Sleeping better is good news, doing stairs is very impressive!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Stairs are my forte @sleepilu , brought on my necessity - our only bathroom is uptairs!:heehee:

I think I've pulled a muscle in my inner thigh. I woke up with it sore yesterday and it's worse today. It hurts a LOT when I lift my leg and bend my knee (standing or sitting), particularly if I turn the knee out at the same time. I may have done it in my sleep or possibly with lifting the cryo cuff canister off the floor from a sitting position (leg still up on recliner, knee bent and turned out) . My stomach muscles also feel a bit stiff which won't do me my harm! My core strength has melted after 2 months of sitting. I used to be so strong!

A bit of googling and I found this link that Josephine has written and I've ordered myself a massage ball.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pes-anserine-and-mpfl-pain.8723/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't take much to aggravate things in weird ways even not at the knee in the early months. hope the leg feels better soon.
 
Perhaps I'm being a little over-optimistic but approaching 11 weeks out and I'm beginning to think my baby knee is starting to mature and dictating my life a little less! Friday was a bit difficult as problems arose at work that needed sorting out and the day ended up being a very long and stressful one. The knee sat back and wasn't effected by it, but it took my head at least 24 hours to drop out of stress mode! I'm a bit of a workaholic and found it hard to put the laptop down. I'm trying to deflect work-thoughts even now and can't wait to open my laptop tomorrow morning. I won't let myself do it today though. Today is "me and knee time"! It's not like me to stress over work so I'll put it down to a still rather fragile psyche.

We went to a nearby and previously unexplored town yesterday. We strolled round for a good two hours, had coffee, window shopped and had a lovely lunch in a pretty cafe. I rested most of the afternoon then took my husband to pick his bike up from the mechanic. No codeine needed by evening and a precautionary Tramadol and just one Nytol before bed and I slept like a log! I had a great night and the knee is happy enough this morning! I'm surprised and delighted!

My daily walk has progressed to 20 minutes over the past week. I'm waking very carefully, slowly and deliberately and still using a cane so as not to push my luck but my husband says I'm getting noticeably quicker. I shall extend the walks this week and see how it does. It's certainly doing my head a power of good and not doing the knee any harm either. I've always been a walker. I need to walk.

There are no hills where we live so the week after next, when we're in Devon, will be a different matter. I won't take my waking boots but I have bought some lovely New Balance walking shoes in the sales that are just perfect for the knee and me. My cryo cuff is top of the packing list! The rapid improvement has come since buying it a couple of weeks ago. I've spent so many many hours icing and elevating I was beginning to wonder if I should be sitting more with my leg down. Now I find I'm doing that naturally without even thinking about it.

The enormous patience required to follow the Bonesmart mantras is really paying off now. I've no doubt I shall have the odd hiccup but being "normal" again is definitely within my grasp! Thank God! Thank Bonesmart!
 
This all sounds amazingly considered and perfect progress!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad you got out yesterday, it's so good for us all to try to get back to normality, but I also agree getting back to work is going to be stressful as our responsibilities are put back on us. I will be going back full-time beginning of Feb, that's when my stress levels will be back!! Looks like you have been able to get in a routine walking, I wish I could do that slow walk daily but I suppose I do quite alot when I go to work. What are your balance walking shoes? I'm wearing my sketches slip on shoes indoors & Clarks outside, but will need walking shoes/boots for when we go to France in May & Italy in September. I hope you have a better week without stress at work Kate. Take care.
 
These are the shoes I bought Sue, and a steal at the sale price! Al used to use New Balance trainers when he ran cross country marathons and he recommended them. I need a wide fitting and arch support and these fit the bill. They're also leather and Gore tex lined. I don't think they'd take the place of proper walking boots but they're ideal for what I need at the moment. I'm really pleased with them. I'm a size 7 but I see other sizes are not as cheap. Still good value though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016O22JEM?keywords=New balance women's walking shoes&qid=1453031285&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
 
They look good Kate, all my old shoes/trainers are worn down with my old gait so I should replace them! Any excuse to treat myself:thumb:
 
Well that will teach me to get cocky! A lovely 30 minute walk yesterday has left both knees complaining this morning! I don't think the time was too long but I do think I walked too fast. No walking today, ice on one knee and laptop on the other. :)

The weekend always catches me up on Monday mornings. I'm still ahead of myself and expecting just a wee bit too much of my new knee!
 
Hi Kate, I hope things are going good for you this week. I bought those shoes & they are great I also got some trainers in same make for the gym. It will be 12 weeks post op for both of us next week, how time flies, I'm sure we are both through the worst & things can only get better....keep up with the icing & resting whilst you are away & have a lovely break & look forward hearing about it all when you get back.:hiking:
 
Back
Top Bottom