Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kelpie's First New Knee

Wow, that's an impressive report. I am so pleased for you.
Now I know we're not supposed to compare but I can't help but be jealous!
 
Wow, that's an impressive report. I am so pleased for you.
Now I know we're not supposed to compare but I can't help but be jealous!

You're a full month behind me @sleepilu ! A month ago I couldn't do what I'm doing now. No where here near it! I seemed to turn a corner this week. The knee is far from finished mending. I can't just forget about it yet but it's not taking up the whole of my consciousness like it was up till a couple of weeks ago. I've just stood in the kitchen for an hour making dinner after a walk with the dogs in the woods. It's feeling a bit grumpy now and the cryo cuff is on. :loll:
 
Hi Kate, how are you doing? Do you fancy meeting up sometime in the next few weeks? I expect you are counting the weeks until your next op in August. I don't feel brave enough to have my other knee done yet.
 
Apologies for disappearing. I felt I needed to move away from the forum and continue my recovery in my own time and space. I just wanted to conclude my thread with a positive update to anyone who might be reading it.

I'm nearly 8 months post op. I've just returned with my husband from a 1600 mile, 10 day motorcycle tour of France, Belgium Luxembourg and Germany on my own bike. I'm completely pain free and able to do much more than I could before my op. My walking was interrupted by a ruptured calf muscle in "old" leg but I'm once again building up my fitness and 4 miles isn't a problem.

The best thing is that my unoperated knee is really good too so I won't be getting a second knee replacement for the foreseeable future anyway. That of course my change once I start doing the 10 mile hikes we used to do but I'll deal with that when I need to.

Thank you bonesmart crew for all your wonderful advice and support. I may be back one day but until then, keep safe and happy everyone.

Kate xx
 
Thanks for coming back and giving a great report. I'm very happy for you! You give people early in recovery a picture about what life can be.
 
@Kelpie- you sound great! I'm just at the 5 1/2 month mark and quite disappointed. The movement of the joint is "clunky", though not painful. I had a steroid injection into some scar tissue a few weeks ago and things improved significantly, but I overdid it and hurt a hamstring, so I'm dealing with that now. I'm still in regret mode, but your post gives me hope!! Good work!!
 
Hi @Kelpie ...Kate that's great news, so glad you don't need the other knee done after all. I am doing well too, just a little stiffness at times in knee but no pain, I can walk for miles & miles & have kept on going to the gym. I am so glad that I had the op, it's made my life whole again. Today i went to the gait analysis at Codicote & I was very pleased with the outcome, Mike came too & had his done & we will both go to the next one to hopefully see more improvement with out gait. Best wishes to you both, keep happy, healthy & maybe oneday we will meet up again xx I will inbox you with my number & email (I think you can only see this on a pc)
 
Enjoyed reading your thread- your life is so much fun!! I'd love to one day have a motorbike! I can't climb up in a horse saddle as easily as I did 20yrs ago, lol! A motorbike would be easier on me! Congratulations on your recovery!
 
Hi all

Well it’s been a whole decade since my first TKR and nearly as long since I posted on here.

So much has happened in those years that I’ve forgotten so much. I’ve just had my second TKR and reading back through this thread has been so helpful.

I can’t remember when I stopped living for my “new knee”. When exactly it stopped being the focus of all my attention and ruling my life. But it did, and it happened without me noticing. It will always feel a little different and sometimes it gets a bit tight when I’ve done a lot, but there’s never any pain. I could easily walk 10 miles no problem. Until the other knee started complaining, anyway.

I was supposed to have my right knee done within 6 months of my left. I found recovery so difficult that I put the second surgery off for the foreseeable. Once my new left knee healed, my right knee became less of an issue. It’s only been in the last couple of years that it started messing about with what I wanted to do; mostly hiking, and I bit the bullet and started the process to get it switched out for a new one.

So, a decade on and my left knee continues to be a huge success. Not only does it function well and without pain, it also supported an ever declining right knee. Now moving into my 4th week or recovery with my right knee, it’s doing a sterling job of taking most of the weight.

So for all of you who are still going through the recovery process and doubting life will ever return to normal, have faith, it will. I followed the Bonesmart advise in spite of everyone telling me to “do your exercises” and “no pain no gain”! My husband has had 2 x TKR as well, and following the same advice, his knee recovered better than the one where he “did all his exercises”!

Hang in there, it’s all worth it!
 
Welcome back to Bonesmart, @Kelpie! It's wonderful to read how well your old knee recovered using the Bonesmart way. I did the same thing and recovered nicely. Would you like to start a new recovery thread for your new knee or are you ok with staying right here on your original thread?

I will post you a refresher read for your Recovery Articles.

Following are BoneSmart's Knee Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short, but informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery. Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.” Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES
(Note to Basic Members: The links below are a premium service available only to Insiders Club Members. To learn about membership, click here).

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork your new knee.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you.
If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. Good Nutrition is essential for successful recovery:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
and please also read the Recovery myths below.

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs

7. If you want something to assist with incision healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

8. Still need recovery aids? The BoneSmart Recovery Shop offers BoneSmarties best-loved recovery products at great prices.

Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Recovery myths:
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Welcome back, @Kelpie, and thanks for the great update about your "old" new knee! I'm glad to read that you found the journal of your first recovery helpful.

Just remember that every knee is different -- even two knees in the same person. I experienced that myself with my second TKR, which was only two years after my fist. I was amazed at the differences in recovery. I do believe having been through it once helps a lot.

Please know that as an Insider, you are welcome to start a new thread for your latest recovery. Either way, we hope you will continue to share your progress on this recovery.
 
I was supposed to have my right knee done within 6 months of my left. I found recovery so difficult that I put the second surgery off for the foreseeable. Once my new left knee healed, my right knee became less of an issue
Hi Kate, Welcome back!
We do hear of what I quoted from your above post, but you were able to put surgery off for a surprisingly long time. Good for you!

It sounds like you're doing really well, Thanks for sharing your appreciation for healing the BoneSmart way...hubby too! May those four new knees serve you both well...forever! :thumb:
 
Thank you all

I shall start a new thread tomorrow perhaps. I’ve had a day on my own today as hubby attended a friend’s funeral. We have 4 little sausage dogs (aka trip hazards) including a 3 1/2 month old puppy, so it’s been a bit of a challenge!

Currently resting with my feet up, with my 10 yo cryocuff for company.
 
@Kelpie, we haven't heard from you in a while. How are you making out with those sweet little doggies? How is your knee coming along? It has been a month today, so I imagine you've seen some improvement.
 
You can find Kelpie's new recovery thread here:

 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Back
Top Bottom