Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kelpie's First New Knee

I'm glad you are doing ok, yes boredom is a problem. I'm going back to work tomorrow after physio for 3 hours after I see what decision will be made about mua. I can do the stairs up walking normally but coming down its one step at a time. Sleeping has not been a problem I have slept through the night for the past couple of weeks on my side without pillows just a small soft towel between my knees to stop any rubbing. Its just the problem with the knee that tight band won't let me bend it more than 85-90 & extension is still at 15 most of the time. Well done for doing the walking around the block, I haven't attempted to do that yet. Keep up what you are doing & hope the sleep pattern gets better for you.
 
I've been doing the same @referee54 . Thankfully, I've been back to work in the last two weeks, albeit from home. That's helped enormously but weekends can be a drag!
 
Hi Kate, I've been very bored too, but it got better when I started working from home. I'm going back to my office on Wednesday, and am looking forward to some adult conversation. I just hope my brain is still in working order. Your recovery sounds like it's coming along well, except for the annoyances that seem to come with the territory:groan:
 
Week 9
It's a funny recovery, this one. I "skip" downstairs in the morning with a knee that feels new and "different" and for the first part of the day, apart from some very minor discomfort, I feel pretty good. The tight band feeling has all but gone. By 4 pm the energy drain starts to impinge on every part of my being and I know I have to just let it ride and wash over me. I've been there before with previous surgeries, after all.

I have started taking paracetamol every 6 hours in an effort to level out all the aches, stiffness etc, throughout the day. We'll see how it goes! My sleep pattern if anything, has got worse. It doesn't help that I'm probably going to bed too early. By 8 or 9 pm I'm fidgety and uncomfortable and tired and longing for my bed. And there I lie till well past midnight, where that much longed for sleep completely eludes me! I read until I'm dropping off but still can't sleep. I feel like I've been drinking coffee all day (I am caffeine sensitive) but I haven't. I wonder if the codeine (4pm) and tramadol (8pm) have something to do with this. I know I need it though so I'll just have to put up with it.

By 4 pm, my knee often starts to ache and sometimes those nasty stabbing pains under the inside of the knee cap return. (ODIC threatening to suck me in!) I've read all this is normal so it doesn't worry me as such; its just tiresome! I don't feel I can do any less during the day without losing my sanity!

I'm still doing my 15 minute toddle round the block. Yesterday I found a duck pond I didn't know about (we moved last June) and my 15 minutes turned into 17, watching a squirrel. 2 minutes too much perhaps, but it was worth it. I also tried to work longer and managed 6 hours before enough was enough! I love my job but it takes a lot of concentration and the laptop is a nuisance. I'm not ready to sit at my desk so it's sitting on my good knee.

It's hard to explain to those who have never had surgery that the knee is only a part of the problems we face. The energy drain is horror. The discomfort that comes with having to keep the knee happy whilst sitting is a pain too. On a good note, my emotions are 90% back under control although it doesn't take much to make me cry. The last episode was after watching " Supervet" when they subjected an Alaskan Malamute to a BTKR and kept saying "he isn't in pain". Hah! I have my own thoughts on the pioneering veterinary surgery being carried out on animals. Animals have played a huge part in both my professional and personal life and I feel I have a good understanding and empathy of their needs, as opposed to our needs!

Anyway, onwards and upwards! The control freak in me that used to let me stay awake for 48 hours at a time, nursing sick horses, is letting go. I cannot fight this, I can only go with the flow and let my baby knee dictate its needs, hour by hour.

I keep telling myself that life will eventually return to normal (minus arthritic knees) although it'll be a while; knee number 2 beckons later this year. In under 3 weeks we shall be returning to my beloved Dartmoor, my husband's birth place. Although we won't be able to walk the magical moor, it's close proximity will be healing.
 
Today has been rubbish. I couldn't work for more than a couple of hours as I had no concentration. I'm disheartened by weight gain after pigging out over Christmas and more than anything, I miss the daily 2 mile walk with my husband and our dogs. I feel isolated and trapped in this darn chair that I've been sitting in for 2 months now.

This damnable mountain feels too high to climb today. I'm totally and utterly fed up.
 
Oh Kate so sorry you are feeling bad today. Its that horrible roller coaster time again, I know it is hard but please think of the positive things again....we have come through this 9 weeks the worst is over & by being on this forum we are keeping each other afloat. Bonesmart has been our lifeline & i'm sure it will be for a long while yet.

Think about Dartmoor, a change of scenery time to reflect on how far you have come on this journey. I am going swimming & facial tomorrow at the Marriot hotel, really looking forward to it, maybe this would be something that you could do. Take care, here is hoping that you have a restful night & better day tomorrow.
 
Hi Kate, hope today will be a better day for you.
 
This week's been really mixed. I'm struggling so badly at night with sleep issues and I'm finding it really tough. We put our feather duvet back on the bed last weekend and although I love it, it's had to come off again as it's too heavy. Back to the lightweight summer one! I also feel like something I'm taking is messing me up so I've been fiddling with my pain meds. On the upside, the knee is doing really well! I really never expected it to be all the "other things" that cause so many problems.

I've gone from zero day time pain meds back to taking paracetamol 4 times every 6 hours. It's works well (I feel less restless during the day) but not quite enough at night. I usually take 2 codeine at 4pm and 1 or 2 tramadol at 9 pm. I've just (rather late in the day) bought a cryo cuff and it worked so well yesterday, I didn't feel the need for anything other than Paracetamol at bedtime. Big mistake; dreadful night with both knees aching badly. I ended up taking 1 codeine at 3.30 am and had 3 hours sleep plagued with horrible nightmares. I hate taking strong meds during the night as I have a foggy brain the next morning, leaving me very down and listless. Not good when I'm working (at home).

Tonight I'm going to try leaving out the 4 pm codeine. I'm only now beginning to realise how yucky it makes me feel. It leaves me feeling like I'm not swallowing properly and my stomach bloats and I generally feel nauseous. I'll take the 2 tramadol at 9 as usual and see how that goes. It's not that I'm paranoid about taking pills but they really do make me feel yucky. However I'm also conscious that GP prefers I come off Tramadol even sooner than the codeine.

Any suggestions on a better pain med regime most gratefully received.
 
Hi Kate.
Sorry I don't have any suggestions but I do understand where you are coming from. I don't use codeine because of the nausea and uncontrollable vomiting. I could keep nothing in me no matter what they tried. I have issues trying to sleep on Vicodin. I get awful nightmares which is crazy because I don't normally remember dreams. Pain pills never seem to help me with sleep, they make groggy enough to start to snooze but that only lasts about 1/2 hour although the IV morphine at the hospital did give me some good sleep:) I have been using Tylenol PM to help me get to sleep....now if I didn't have to get up to pee a million times a night I would be set. With all the medications they have me on these days (infection) I have to drink a lot of water for the kidneys.
 
Hi PegGar
Sorry to hear you've been battling infection. That must be a worry.

It's good to know others have the same issues with meds. I can't take morphine as it gives me hallucinations. Like you, I drift off in the first half hour then I'm wide wake again. I've even tried an antihistamine which usually knocks me out cold, to no avail. I have Valium left over from a previous back injury but I'm not that desperate! Valium makes me feel truly awful!
 
Hi @Kelpie & PegGar16

I'm running out of things to try to help with the sleep! If tonight's plan fails I may just find a job in a 24/7 call centre to keep me occupied instead!
I am an acupuncturist and so have been needling myself every other day to help with the pain, swelling, general wellbeing and .... insomnia! We acus are usually pretty good at sorting out insomnia but even that seems to be escaping me at the moment!

I have been on tramadol every night, slow release and/or normal. I usually find myself topping up with paracetomol around 3am. BUT I read somewhere that tramadol can make you a bit restless so I convinced GP to give me some 30/500 cocodomol. Have just taken 2 of those & giving the tramadol a miss tonight, so hope I don;t have your reaction to the codeine. Also going to take a Nytol sleeping tablet at midnight. So far that has only worked once in 3 nights. Am also warming the back of my knee and calf for a change. Feels very nice!

But like you say, you've got to try. Good luck again for tonight, I wish I could find a magic formula. Or maybe all of this is to take our minds off the knee pain!
 
@sleepilu I think I'll try the Nytol tonight! Another lousy night's sleep. It took me till 1.30 to drop off with my head on hubby's chest. He woke me an hour later as his arm had gone numb! Reckon I gotten 3 hours all told.

But look what I did this morning! Getting on husband's bike has really cheered me up. My bike is exactly the same! Whether I can't get into my bike gear is another matter entirely as I can't stand my tightness on the knee yet. Baby steps!

[Bonesmart.org] Kelpie's First New Knee
 
Love it !!!!!
Great picture!!!!
I have also been having trouble sleeping. It seems to have started after I weaned myself off Norco.
I either wake up after two hours and feel wide awake for three or four, or I sleep longer with totally bizarre dreams.
I think my poor brain is dealing with all the anesthesia and funky drugs it has had to deal with twice now.

I tell myself, this too shall pass...
 
Thanks @Gramanator57! i hoped it would cheer everyone up.

I know the sleep issues re to be expected but at the time, in the middle of the night, it's not good at all! Strangely, I don't feel too tired during the day.

You're right, it will pass. This is a temporary situation. :sleep:
 
It's great to see you on a bike....i'm sure it won't be long before you will be riding it again.:hog:
 
Woohoo! I want a bike now!

Huge success with sleep last night, yay! Rested back of knee and calf on hot water bottle til it felt snug and relaxed. E45 on scar but no cling film just gentle massage.
Took 2 cocodomol + 2 x 25mg of Nytol. no messing with half doses, I was serious!

Success, I slept from 12.30 to 3.30. Up for a loo visit, pain breaking through took just one more cocodomol, awake for less than an hour and then next woke at 9.15. WOW! About 8 hours worth of zzzzz, best night in almost 6 weeks.

I plan to do exactly the same tonight. 2 nights would be miraculous!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom