Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kelpie's First New Knee

Hi Sue, glad you got sorted with the shoes. I'm really pleased with mine.

Three months post op, I'm getting there. Had a lovely holiday in Devon but found it frustrating not being able to do our usual hikes together. I coped ok with going out a lot and rather neglecting the ice and elevation. I really missed my recliner though!

I'm walking about 1 kilometre with ease now, provided I'm careful. A major milestone achieved today as I walked my Great Dane, Cara for the first time myself. I'm not sure which of us was the most pleased!

I have my 3 month check tomorrow. I hope to discuss knee number 2.
 
Hi Kate.
You know it is the little things...like taking Cara for a walk mean a lot. I can't wait to take my big guy out again, although he is making a great foot rest at the moment:) He has really stuck close to me since the surgeries.
 
Hi Peggy. You're right, there's nothing quite like the company of our lovely giants!
 
Just had my 3 month check. My OS is very happy with my knee. I've an ROM of 125/0 and given the go ahead to start cycling. I've ordered myself a new bike on our Cycle to Work scheme! I've been looking for a while and tried bikes last weekend so I know I can peddle a full revolution.

I'm going back to see the OS in April to start the ball rolling on me other knee. The plan is to get it done in July/August. Given a free rein I'd get it done tomorrow but the OS thinks it's a sensible time between ops and it also suits my work and holiday plans.

I'll forget knee number 2 for now and get knee 1 good and strong for the time being!
 
So pleased for you Kate, good news on second op. My OS is retiring in 3 months so I didn't push for left knee to be done at this stage as i would have to go back to GP to find a new OS. I've just started at the gym, treadmill & bike. When you have a free Saturday or Sunday we could meet up at the garden centre again.
 
Thanks Sue, we've a busy couple of weekends coming up but we'll arrange something before long.
 
Well the knee is fine but I'm not great. My OS was concerned that I was still taking 1 Taramadol at night so I've stopped. I can't very well cut down from 1! I'm not in pain at night now but have taken it to ensure I'm not after a couple of miserable nights two weeks ago. Turns out I don't need it and I'm in no more pain at night than daytime, even after walking 1.25 miles yesterday.

But, I have had two horrendous night suffering from restless leg syndrome (something I suffered from years ago). Only now it's effecting every part of me from the neck down! As soon as I'm ready to sleep it kicks in. I'm writhing around all night and when I do doze off, my muscles jump violently and wake me. My poor husband has been so good about it. He gets it too so understands. I've also got a very loose poop fairy problem. I suspect it may be withdrawal from the Tramadol but reluctant to jump to that conclusion. I'm waiting for the GP to call me to see if here's anything I can do to help myself or if I just have to ride it out as another facet of the recovery. I'm sure not tempted to take a Tramadol now!

I've also moved myself back into my office at home as I'm sure my posture from sitting on the recliner with the laptop can't be doing my back any good either.:banghead: I'm now sitting in front of my "sun" light praying for a good night and it's only 9.45 am!

Groans...
 
Well a lengthy conversation with my GP has confirmed that my awful nighttime restlessness and overactive poop fairy does match up to Tramadol withdrawal. Oh well, it's not as bad as the pain during the early weeks so I'll regard it as just another wee hurdle to overcome. Think I'll stay up late tonight and was scary movies!

My father suffered from restless leg syndrome as does my husband. We have a name for the beast. It's called THE CRAGGERS! I seem to have been afflicted with the big kahuna of all CRAGGERS!

If anyone one has any tips on getting through is, I'd love it if you shared them with me!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know you may raise your eyes to the ceiling, that woman banging on about acupuncture again .... but I have helped 2 patients who were on medication for years for RLS with acupuncture. May takes 2 or 3 treatments. Make sure you use a British Acupuncture Council accredited practitioner.
Also last night I tried out a new technique for insomnia, very simple and very effective, I was asleep within 6 cycles. It's the 4-7-8 technique.
Breathe in through your nose for the count of 4, hold breath for the count of 7 & then exhale through your mouth for the count of 8.
Try it? Nothing to lose.
 
Hey, I'm going to try that! Sleeplessness is a problem, even before a TKR, with the arthritis pain.
 
@sleepilu I had acupuncture for Achilles tendinitis and it was very effective. I might see if I can get an appointment locally.

I do the breathing thing and have done for years! Only I do 4-16-8. No problem falling asleep but these darn muscles just don't want to keep still keep still! As soon as I doze off I'm wide awake again.

Thanks for the reply though. I do sometimes wonder if it's only you and Sue and a few others who actually read this stuff! :rotfl:
 
I always look forward reading how you are getting on Kate, I missed the chat when you were away in Devon. A few have been following my thread...look i'm now a senior! Not sure what this means?
 
I do hope you find something that will help you. I have been off the pain meds for awhile, just take paracetamol when I have overdone it, the codeine went a few weeks back.
 
I always look forward reading how you are getting on Kate, I missed the chat when you were away in Devon. A few have been following my thread...look i'm now a senior! Not sure what this means?

I think it's to do with how many posts you've made.
 
Hi, I think you'll be past the worst of your withdrawal symotoms within a few days. Sometimes you can cut Tramadol in half depending on the manufacturer. Check with your pharmacist. If you become too uncomfortable speak with your doctor about weaning down more gradually.

I had that terrible restless leg problem after my first TKR, and come to think of it this happened after stopping Tramadol. Honestly, I took Tramadol quite infrequently, as in one pill every few days. In fact I still have most of that very first bottle. Potent stuff! I used a different pain med for my second TKR. I suffered headache and pounding heart upon discontinuation but not restless legs.

I hope you feel better soon.
 
Thank you Clipless. It's something I shall just accept and look forward to seeing an end to! I'll ask for an alternative when I get my next knee done.
 
Google British Acupuncture Council, put in your postcode for a list of local practitioners.
 
Well it seems I've nearly beaten the Tramadol withdrawal symptoms into submission! You were right @Clipless . I'm still restless before bedtime but the horrid sensations I was getting in bed have subsided, thank goodness. I'm taking Nytol at bedtime but plan to phase that out over the next week or two. I only take paracetamol at bedtime too now.

I've walked a lot this week and decided that as we'd need to do some grocery shopping, I wouldn't go for my usual walk yesterday. I also returned to my desk on Thursday and the combination of that and all the walking left me quite tired yesterday. The old energy drain popped up briefly and took me by surprise but after a good night's sleep, I feel pretty good today. We're going to see my sister and mum, two hours away today. It's the first time we've been able to visit since the op. I'll take my cryo cuff with me.

I'm pretty happy with my knee now. Each week sees definite improvement, provided I'm kind to it.
 
Back
Top Bottom