Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kelpie's First New Knee

Awesome day yesterday with my family. Mum (92), sister, two grown up nieces and their 5 children whom I all love to pieces. We laughed and talked the hind legs off donkeys for six hours! Drove home in a howling gale, watched tv until 10.30 pm then fell into a deep, pain free, drug free sleep (broken only by a couple of piddle breaks I don't really remember) until 8 am this morning. I think I've died and gone to heaven!

Stiff as a board from sleeping all over the place in weird positions I've not managed for three whole months but feeling absolutely GREAT!

We're back to eating healthy food after Christms and our Devon holiday. Piles of veggies, mostly fish and a bit of chicken. I've lost 8lbs and I know this has all helped.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it is all looking great Kate. I bet it was nice to get out & see family. Well done for losing the weight, that's my downfall i've only lost a pound since xmas, have a very sweet tooth at the moment. Keep up the good work, finding a good position to sleep is difficult, my favourite is on my left side with op leg on top with a soft towel between my bent knees. I never wake in this position though!!
 
I'm hopeless! I managed to plonk myself back in the ODIC for two days! Saturday with the family was ok but strolling around Braintree design outlet the following day for a couple of hours was the final straw. Monday and Tuesday saw my knee cap shouting and I even resorted to taking one codeine on Monday evening. I've not touched codeine for weeks! I'm back on track today but still learning that I can't do what I want, just becuse I have a couple of really good days!

The energy drain has all but gone but that means I want to do so much more! Grrrr
 
At least you had a preview of how good you'll be feeling all the time once the healing is complete. I had just started to feel normal after my first tkr, then I needed to get the other one done ! Feeling like I've been in pain & recuperating forever !!! I'm just passed 8 weeks now with the 2nd knee, so at least the worst is over. Hope you are having a good day. So hard to balance the amount of resting & starting to do things when you start to feel better, isn't it ???
 
It certainly is Karol. My second knee is getting switched out in the summer so I'll soon be in the same boat as you! I try not to think about it too much and when I do, I think well at least I know what's coming! Not sure that's any consolation though. :groan:
 
Kate you are not hopeless, it's so hard to get the right balance, it took me ages, I think its trial & error. I go to work, ice & elevate when I get home & also after I have cooked dinner. I do this overnight as well. Are you still working from home or going to work? I found it made so much of a difference going to work, it's made me feel "normal" I am able to forget about my knee. I'm sure it will get better soon xx
 
I always work from home Sue. I'm still using my cryo cuff, especially in the evening but often during the day too. I got my new bike today and rode it up and down the road outside our house. I'm tickled pink with it! I haven't been on a bike in decades and wasn't at all sure I could still ride one!
:bicycle1:
 
Thanks Diana! Hopefully when I'm fitter from biking I'll be able to return to some serious hiking.
 
I haven't been on mine as I don't have the confidence to stop!!!! & I know I will just fall off!!!!
 
I think you'd surprise yourself Sue. Give it time and don't do anything till you're ready.
 
102 days post op

I confess there were a few happy tears shed today... I rode my motorbike! Nothing extreme, just a 5 mile spin down to a local cafe for a St Valentine breakfast at North Weald Airfield then a gentle trundle around Epping Forest. I'm shattered but feeling so happy and encouraged. heading to Chamonix in France in June is looking possible now.
 
I confess there were a few happy tears shed today... I rode my motorbike! Nothing extreme, just a 5 mile spin down to a local cafe for a St Valentine breakfast at North Weald Airfield then a gentle trundle around Epping Forest. I'm shattered but feeling so happy and encouraged.
Great! :yes!::happydance::yay:
 
Well done Kate so pleased that you have finally got on your motorbike. Keep smiling :yes!::hog:
 
I can't believe it's 16 weeks since I got my new knee. I'm pleased to say that life is rapidly returning to normal. I know I've still got to take care or it'll play up but there isn't much I can't do now(apart from kneel on it). After doing the food shopping, I spent nearly the whole day on Saturday deep cleaning the house and sorting all those things out that are invisible to men!

Yesterday we went for a hour long ride on the motorbikes and my walking is up to just under 2 miles, 4-5 times a week. I'm sleeping pretty well and rarely take any meds. I'm quick to use my Cryo Cuff at the first sign of heat or swelling and so glad I bought it. My weight is finally starting to shift with all the exercise and lots and lots of stir fries, no bread and no potatoes!

I now feel confident to plan ahead. We've got a weekend at the end of April when we'll ride the 500 miles over two days to meet my son in Scotland. In June we've decided Chamonix is too far so booked 10 days in Monschau, Germany. Again we'll be on our motorbikes. We're also going for a weekend to Wales for a camping bike meet at the end of July. I intend to make the most of it and get the second knee done at the beginning of August so that hopefully, I'll be fit for my step daughter's wedding in December and my son's, soon after that!
 
So glad to hear things are progressing so well. I'm getting there,slowly but surely. I found the 2nd tkr easier to deal with in many ways. You'll know what to expect and we'll all be here for you when the time comes. Meanwhile, enjoy your freedom to do the things you enjoy. Happy for you☺
 
Back
Top Bottom