THR Kay's Recovery Stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kayiun Great to hear from you....sorry about the carpel tunnel pain you are having...it seems like the other parts of our body get jealous about all the attention the hip is having and start to play up!!!! Glad the steri strips made their exit...they sound annoying! Strange that here in the UK you have the staples out and then leave the wound as it is.
My sis is doing well....she's home, walking around and had been cleared by home PT....has some painful days but to be expected.
I was thinking about all this hip stuff and I've concluded that the recovery would be great if our minds didn't keep wandering do much... Don't know about you but I kept worrying about everything....what I was/was not doing....it's a lesson in patience, for sure. Something, I've realised, I don't have.!!
Do hope your hand (and Eloise..... Nice name by the way.....I just refer to mine as that £&@£&@ hip) behave themselves for you. Lovely to hear from you...Take it easy..Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Kayviun
Kay, I never had staples - only steri-strips and doc just pulled them off at 2 weeks and said scar looked perfect- I did post an after strip removal picture. Felt so good to have nothing there ! Funny how all of them do things differently. I had anterio-lateral incision (not the smaller anterior one), on the side of my leg/hip
 
Update well, tomorrow will be 5 full weeks:

Last update I think I mentioned frozen pipes and cold weather. The 'rest of the story' was that once things thawed out I was left with two water leaks, all repaired and good as new now. This morning I awoke to the sound of thunder and at final count, no less than 3 severe thunder storm warnings. Thankfully nothing materialized but for some heavy rain and a few gusts of wind, which brings me to the very nice sunny and warm day it turned out to be this afternoon.

Well, started this and then the page crashed. Came back and most of it was still here once the page loaded..odd, but starting over as I seem to have lost my momentum.

Basically.... I think I over did today. Once the sun came out, I found myself with some unaccustomed energy and feeling better than I have in a good while, and decided to change the sheets on the bed. This wasn't too hard as I have a memory foam topper and once I removed the soiled sheets I just tucked the clean ones under the topper, added the top sheets and blankets and was done. Not like I had to lift any heavy mattress or anything. I did have a bit of issue going around the bed to straighten as it's a narrow space, but I finished with no issues other than it took quite a while to get it all done.

I then decided to do some dusting in the same room. I proceeded on to clean up dishes in the kitchen and straighten there, then cooked a simple 'toss it in the oven' meal, took a shower and shampoo, and alas, found myself tonight barely able to even walk.

The torque feeling was back, felt like the 'tennis ball' was back in place, and the ache and burn was terrible. Guess I over did a bit. I made it to 9pm before I broke down and took a Percocet. I hadn't taken any hard meds for at least 24 hours and have been trying just a couple of Tylenol. I've done this before and seem to always have to break down and take a harder med, but this time was really bad with the pain and ache/tightness/soreness and burning.

The Percocet didn't treat all the discomfort but it has taken the edge off. Trying not to have to take another one, but may give in yet again if it keeps getting worse. Don't think I did any lasting damage of that nature, but it is a wake up call that I'm not as healed as I may like to think. I am disappointed. I thought I was doing so well today. :boohoo: Later I broke down in a very short tear fest. Not sure where that came from. Just felt that I was emotionally drained..though I had nothing to be emotionally drained over. :shrug:

Well this is the second time I've tried to reply and the page crashed. Didn't lose my prior writing though...odd.

Try to make this quick. Other than over doing today, things have been going ok. I seem to be fighting a queasy feeling that comes and goes. Thought I had a virus, but other than really getting bad the other day, it's more of an underlying queasiness that I've had since surgery. Not sure what this is.

My PT guy visited and said I was doing well and suggested I was even a bit ahead of schedule. Even so, he said my doc had sent orders for 4 more weeks of home therapy. I was surprised at this as we'd discussed it before (PT and I) and they'd said they were putting in for another two weeks at least. In the meantime, the doc sent orders of his own. It hasn't yet been approved by insurance so could still be turned down, but PT said rarely do they get turned down when it comes directly from the doc and are treating it as if it's been approved and will see me as usual.

I still have a limp that I'm not sure how to get rid of. Guess it will go with time? PT reminds me to walk heel/toe and to bend my knee. I'm doing that much better but can't really see any improvement in the limp. I find myself on occasion feeling 'over balanced' and leaning to the good side, again, as in the past, as if I'm going to keep going and have to catch myself on furniture or such. It's a bit disconcerting when it happens. I guess this may be why my Doctor admonished me that if I go out of the house to use the walker.

I finally lost my steri strips. All 10 of them. I soaked them in the shower with a warm cloth and lots of soap. Lost 3 yesterday and the other 7 tonight. Incision looks good. Not quite healed in a place or two, and still tender, but not redness or anything out of the ordinary.

Bonesmart crashed again while I was writing this, so not sure where I'm at. Rather distracted now. lol

Suffice it to say, other than today's fiasco, I seem to be making slow, but steady progress I think.

Going to post before it crashes again.
Wishing all a happy day, speedy healing, and best of all good things.
Kay
 
Kay - I'm at almost 4 weeks - did the same thing - had a great active day on Friday - did the stairs a bunch of times, did cleaning, shipped my business orders, worked on inventory - all using a cane, first day I did all day with no walker - and ended up taking pain meds again that I was only doing at night, was pretty down about it because I planned to get out of the house and ended up just resting - and not sleeping well either (why I'm writing at 3AM). BoneSmart crashed earlier for me too - iPhone app version.
 
Ah well Kay...we are guilty of the 'feeling better...good day...let's go for it syndrome' and then suffer that tightness and pain after....must be masochists. ..all of us. Think it's just the yearning to be normal at last. I tried not to feel guilty about taking tablets when I needed them...that's what they are for..I guess. You seem to be making a slow and steady recovery and I'm so pleased for you....and your tear session? Well I'm still doing that now. Every now and again the enormity of what I've had done overwhelms me and I end up looking like Alice Cooper..again!! It's a roller coaster of emotions...just had this conversation with my sis and she's barely 2 weeks out from TKR....do hope you continue your progress and the sun stays shining. I've got my first hydrotherapy session cos of my limp Thursday...can't wait! Thinking of you....Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
The steri strips are a pain and seemed to be attached with super glue. I finally lost all of them tonight by soaking them with soap and a warm bath cloth in the shower. Not sure if they were exactly ready to come off
Honestly, I have no idea why US surgeons have this thing about letting Steristrips fall off. It's so stupid. Here we take them off at 14 days regardless and maybe if there's a teeny bit of the wound that's not quite soundly healed, we'd put on or two new ones on just to be sure but they'd come off after about 5 days because that's all it takes the top 5mm of skin to heal properly. What a performance they make you all go through!
 
and alas, found myself tonight barely able to even walk. Guess I over did a bit.
NO kidding! At only 5 weeks, what did you expect!
I still have a limp that I'm not sure how to get rid of. Guess it will go with time?
It will, don't worry. Worry if it's still evident at 12 weeks!
Well this is the second time I've tried to reply and the page crashed. Didn't lose my prior writing though...odd.
We have an auto-save feature on the messages here here so you could close your browser down and it would still be there when you fetched it back up again! If you watch in the bottom right hand corner of the message box, you will occasionally see a ghostly little square pop up and then fade away again! That's the autosave working
[Bonesmart.org] Kay's Recovery Stages
​
 
Thank you to @Josephine @charmed-life @Hoppy Nanny Things have been up and down on my side and haven't gotten around here the way I'd like or should. I do appreciate you though it may not seem so, and have been thinking of you all here at BoneSmart.

A quick update. I was 7 weeks post op this past Monday. I went Monday to the doc for my second follow up. He seemed to think things were going well. My work leave runs out 2/28 and I'm to return to work with a couple of restrictions (no carrying/lifting over 20 lbs the first two weeks of return to work, and no ladder use). Other than that he (the doc) just wants to see what I'll be able to do. If I have any issues I'm to call him and he'll adjust things from there. I'll return to see the doc in 6 weeks which means I'll only work two weeks before seeing the doctor again. He said my op leg was still weak and needed more strengthening, but that was on the top side of his recovery curve so was well inline with where I should be. My mobility needs some attention but again, isn't bad, just isn't 'normal'. So still a ways to go. I'm using the cane and have just begun to take baby steps without it.

In the meantime, on Saturday night before seeing the doc on Monday, I was awakened with excruciating chest pain. I thought I may be having a heart attack but after taking stock of things, found that if I took antacids and 'burped' I would get relief. Chalking it up to a weird case of indigestion, I went through the 'wake up/antacid' routine until late Monday evening when I decided this shouldn't be coming back in such severity and had a friend take me to emergency. I hadn't even mentioned this to the doc on Monday as I really thought it indigestion and didn't want to be a bother. My Doctor was 2 hours away which is why I wound up in emergency at midnight.

Turns out I have multiple blood clots in my lung and today found I had one in my leg also. They admitted me to the hospital Tuesday morning after a slew of tests confirmed their diagnosis. I've been taking it in stride thus far, but tonight I've suddenly come down with a case of the 'terrors'. My chest hurts all the time, hurts to breath, my op leg is still going through the stiff/sore and I'm told one time to move and the next that moving isn't good for the existing clots, so I'm unsure as to what I should be doing. They have me on lovenox 2x a day while in hospital, and coumadin 1x a day along with a once time a day antacid that is given through the IV. Then I also get a shot of dilaudid supposedly every 3 hours but it doesn't exactly come promptly, and lortab every 4 to 6 hours. Even so, my chest and back is hurting something awful. I'm coughing up blood, and if that isn't enough they did a flu test while I was in emergency (don't know why this test was run unless it's standard procedure..) and I was positive for the flu. I hadn't had any symptoms at all, though today I've had a couple bouts of nausea and now have nausea meds in my list. I don't know when I'll be released but when they admitted me they said I"d probably be in hospital around 3 days. They do blood work once per day, and I'm hooked up to a portable heart monitor round the clock.

The other side of my back is hurting bad now and it hasn't been hurting much on that side. Not sure whether to mention it or not as when I mention my 'aches' I feel like I'm turning into a hypochronciac or however you spell it. Too tired and too close to giving up to care. I was just given a paper to sign about signs and symptoms to report while on blood thinners...I'm doing them all. Coughing up blood, chest pain, sweating (only on occasion), dizziness, swelling in feet/legs, sudden continuous pain in muscle, urine that's red or orange (mine is a nice orange color), just to name a few. They said the bloody cough is normal because of the clots, so I don't know what to report or what's normal, or what might be dangerous. Just coughed up a major bloody kleenex. Sorry for the visual..ever wish you could climb up in mommies lap and let her make it all better? Too late for that, but I sure could use a shoulder...and a prayer.

My hospital woes must be a traveling woe. I'm in the hospital in my home town now and last night I couldn't get my pain meds taken care of. I was past due on both meds when I finally got the nurse in to give me them and then she asked me if I REALLY needed them. I could have choked her. Oddly, the woman responsible for over seeing things came by this morning and asked how things were going. I explained my issue with not getting pain meds last night. Keep in mind, I not only need these for the stiffness/soreness in my op leg, but mainly for the intense pain in my chest and back when breathing/coughing/living..etc. She said she wanted to 'take care of it and make it up to me before I left the hospital'. I didn't expect much, and not even sure when I'm 'leaving the hospital' but she must have done something as today was much better. She did say the nurse on duty last night was 'one of her best'..isn't that the way it usually goes? In my opinion, she was one of the worst, in duty and in attitude. Everyone else has been very good and several border on excellent. Just that last night was a very trying time with no pain meds to help. Tonight I have one the better nurses (one of my favorite) but she leaves at 11pm. Not sure who is going to take her place. I haven't slept in forever it seems as I either get wakened by a need for vitals, or the pain wakes me. At least I have good people to help me out for now. God Bless good Nurses :-) I wish people would understand just how much influence they can have on a patient in pain and distress..both for the good and for the bad.

Wish I knew if I should be worried about this pain in my other side. I hate calling anyone again, especially if it's 'normal'.
So tired and scared right now.

thanks for listening
kay
 
Don't be afraid to ask for help - this is the time to do it. Sometimes we are the ones giving support, giving help, but there is a time you need to ask, and to accept help. Tired and scared sounds like a perfect time to ask - but when you only have nurses around you who are not sympathetic I know that makes it harder. At least you know we are here to listen...
 
just wondering if any of you share through Facebook or the like? Or if that's allowed? Would be nice to chat with some of you sometime if anyone is interested. Don't want to post info that's not allowed though. I looked at the social tab here briefly, but seems to be mostly of games and such unless I missed something. Very tired tonight and as is the case it seems lately, not thinking very clearly.
Thank you.
 
@charmed-life Thank you. I am indeed bordering on panic mode tonight. Not sure why. Think maybe the reality of my situation is beginning to sink in. Haven't had much sleep either so that doesn't help. I do appreciate this site and to all of you who listen and care. I need to clarify too that I do have some wonderful nurses here. Just had that 'revisit the bad times' last night with the pain meds. Things have been better thus far tonight. Just worried about my situation is all. Thank you again.
Hope you are having a peaceful day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just re-read your post - love this - "ever wish you could climb up in mommies lap and let her make it all better" - so many times I wish it!! But you are right - can't do that now. But we are here with a shoulder! Your issues do sound scary, you are not wrong to be scared. But you are in the place you should be, try to trust in their care.
 
Hi Kay--

I've been away for a while, trying to chart my own course in this recovery, and was certainly brought back to reality by seeing your post come through in a notification! I hope that you don't read this tonight at all <grin> and that you are allowed to sleep well through to morning (fat chance, eh?). Are you getting any anti-anxiety or sleeping aids for this? Somewhere in the haze of my one night in the hospital, I recall being dosed with both ativan to relax and with an Ambien for sleep. I don't use these meds otherwise. I still woke up from the beeps and noises on the ward, but was functional the next day. I bet the lack of sleep is affecting your worries mightily (although to be fair, this is a frightful complication). I hope you know that all of us here are holding you in our thoughts. I don't want you ever to feel alone!

I'm certainly on Facebook and welcome posts and chats-- if you're interested, send me a message and I'll send you my real name :-). Sometimes I post some sketchy humor, but most of the time I'm just a tremendous bore because I enjoy bragging about my children! No worries if you'd rather not, though-- sometimes it's hard to know how I come across online!

I hope the supposedly "good" nurse was just having a bad night and will be more helpful if/when you see her again. Every once in a while I encounter someone with a chip on their shoulder a mile wide and I wonder just what happened to make them so sour. I have a horrible expression to go along with that thought, but I'll refrain ;-). It's a lot harder if that person is needed for things like hospital care! Here's sending you awesome healing thoughts and hopes that the clots dissolve quickly. I wish you good rest so that your mind can take a rest, too.

Take care--
 
Oh my Lord! You poor, poor girl! You come and climb in my lap and have a big cuddle! I can't make it all better but you will be in my prayers. And just remember that you have a very BIG lap to climb into - He will cover you with His cloak and keep you safe

[Bonesmart.org] Kay's Recovery Stages

I'm told one time to move and the next that moving isn't good for the existing clots, so I'm unsure as to what I should be doing
Well, both are right but the middle line is to move moderately. No laying still and no excessive activity. Are you up an about or confined to bed? Are you having PT?
The other side of my back is hurting bad now and it hasn't been hurting much on that side. Not sure whether to mention it or not as when I mention my 'aches' I feel like I'm turning into a hypochondriac.
Of course report it! Report everything, even if you've reported it before. At least then they'll know that last time wasn't just a one-off.
 
Hi Kay @ kayviun.....oh sweetheart....I've been popping by your thread in the hope of hearing good news about your recovery ....and now to find this out....what a body blow! I'm truly gutted for you. However, I'm so relieved that they have found the clots and that you are now on blood thinning therapy......hopefully these clots will be dispersed quite quickly. I dont want to be one of those who 'have been there..done that' but sometimes it can help to know someone who has had the same and come through it. I developed a DVT in my leg following multiple long haul flights which ultimately caused a pulmonary embolism in my lung some 10 years ago.....I can understand the pain you are in......it's not good. I was put on Warfarin ( your Coumadin) for 18 months and ultimately have had NO problems since...it was scary at the time and I can only fly for max 2 hours without blood thinners now but I have been fine. I want to come and give you a big hug and reassure you that all will be fine darling. Please tell them of any pains you have....that's why they are there...do not suffer in silence.....I found Ibuprofen helped with pain in the lungs. When I left hospital I went straight to my GP as I had a high level of anxiety and went on anti depressants....only for a month but they sure helped me.....worth a try as you've been through so much......I was worried about being on blood thinners and he said " if I gave warfarin to 20 men all they would have is thinner blood....that's all it does! It calmed me a lot.
Please, if you can, keep in touch.....I will be thinking of you...oh ...@&£&. ...if only I could wave a magic wand and come and help in some way. Will be thinking of you Kay.....keep your chin up......with love Chrissie xxxxxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
......@kayviun, wow, I am soooooo sorry to hear of your set back, hopefully, "your light at the end of the tunnel" will come sooner than later, I will be praying for you. Hey, ya know something, as far as Facebook is concerned they have some private "hip" groups you can join (just search hip replacement, several groups will come up), the groups are just like it is here, the people are helpful and their stories are informative as well....check it out, I don't think you will be disappointed. ...well, hang tough, hopefully this will all be behind you soon!! ...sending good vibes your way!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom