THR Kay's Recovery Stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sending hugs and hoping things turn around for you. Peggy xo
 
Oh Kay, I'm so sorry you are having this dreadful time of it. It would terrify me for sure, but don't give up on anything. Do hope to hear soon that you're steadily improving and can go home and get real rest. Hugs to you, sweetie....just....hugs.

Sharon
 
Kay I am so sorry to hear of your trouble. I would be scared witless -- I know the feeling of wanting to crawl up in mama's lap and just cry. I've felt that way many times. Sometimes I've even had little chats with her, though she is in heaven. Anyone who overheard me would think I am nuts -- here I am 67 years old and saying "Oh mama, make it all go away." I still miss her every day, even tho she's been gone over 30 years now.

I will keep you in my prayers for peace and healing. Don't give up. I was in despair a couple weeks ago about my back pain, but it has just in the last few days started to ease. Hang on to the hope. I feel for you.

Love,

Milli
 
oh no @Kayviun . how totally scary and painful. so sorry to hear about this challenge of yours. one thing it teaches me is to be grateful for every little thing that goes well. I'm also waiting to hear you've rounded this bend and are on your way to REAL and lasting recovery. devorah
 
@charmed-life Thank you for the encouragement. I know I need to trust in those providing my health care. For the most part I do, there are just a couple that I wonder about. For being in the shape I'm in, I suppose I'm in the best place I could be for now. At least it's close to home and makes it easy for friends to come by or pick up things for me I might need from home. AND no major road trip to look forward to when it comes time to go home. I'm only about 10 minutes from my house, so that's a good thing. Hope you are doing well. Thank you.

@MountainGirl Hi there! I thought I hadn't seen you in awhile and you've crossed my mind more than once. What with all the issues going on here with me, I rather lost track of other's stories. I feel bad about that and felt bad at the time knowing I wasn't keeping up but just couldn't find the energy/time/emotion to pull myself up.

I can't wait to catch up with you and hear all about how you're doing and what you've been up to. Lol at your Facebook activities. I'm sure you are just fine. On the other hand, I post much to often about my 4 legged babies, my real babies (and grand babies), anything that makes me smile (but may not have the same impression on those being exposed to it) and of course my few games that I play.

I hope you know how to use the block/hide/delete button especially for the games. I try not to bother those who aren't interested in that type of thing, but they get past me sometimes without my knowledge. Thanks for the pep talk. I really needed it.

@Josephine Aw you are so very sweet. I would climb into your lap but afraid at this stage I would squash you and we all need our Josephine around for a very long time.

You are right though in that there is another lap I can go to, any time of the day or night, with anything and I have done just that on several occasions this past week. Thank you for reminding me that he is always there. In fact, my being here to write this is nothing short of a miracle. He's definitely watched out for me, even before I knew I needed to be watched :)

In answering your questions, I'm semi bed rest for now. There was some discrepancy when I came into the hospital in that I wasn't even suppose to get out of bed to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately, no one thought to relay that info to me and I was up and down as needed. Then the doctor came in and asked about my activity level and how it was going and found that I'd been taking myself to the potty and walking gently around the room. She didn't like it, but as I'd already been doing it with no harm allowed me to continue as long I'm slow and easy, use my cane every time, and am very careful about not tripping or falling as she said with the mega amounts of blood thinners I'm getting, to fall now on the hip would 'make a real mess' (her words).

I'm not to leave my room at all, though that's a given as I'm in isolation having tested positive for the flu. I don't have any symptoms of the flu and question that, but that's what I'm told so won't argue about it. I can't walk up and down the halls, climb anything, and other than minor activity like bathroom, getting up to get something, or sitting up in bed I'm pretty much on lock down to do much of nothing. She said something about bringing in a therapist to monitor my heart activity during exercise as she doesn't want me to do it alone, but thus far that hasn't happened.

I took your advice and report everything now. Sometimes they pay attention, other times it seems to go over their heads, but at least I'm letting them know what's going on. Thank you for the kind and comforting words, the suggestions advice and acknowledgements, and of course as always, for being such a sweet blessing.

@Hoppy Nanny So sorry to hear you've been through the terror of the clot too! It is very scary isn't it? I'm so glad you came through it ok. It is absolutely reassuring to hear from those who have been there/done that and come through the other side. I wouldn't have in a million years thought I'd be one to be going through this.

While I didn't have a big place to walk in the beginning, I did keep up with exercises, stretching, and did everything the PT guy told me to do and then some. I've had a lot of people keep telling me 'well why weren't you mobile?" Thing is, I was mobile. At least as mobile as I could be under the circumstances. When I spoke to one of the docs about my situation later, she said sometimes things just happen. It doesn't matter how much you do or how right you do it, it just is.

The only thing she thought that might have had some bearing on escalating things along clot wise, was having come off the thinners at 3 weeks time. She seems to think the doctor should have checked me at that point and put me on something else instead. Anyway, what's done is done and nothing much I can do about it now besides stick with the program, take the meds, be aware, and hope for the best. I'll get through this. Just going to take some time. I'm just wondering at the level of set back this might cause for me, if any. Time will tell.

Hope you're doing well. Thank you again. And thank you for the quote and pic. couldn't have said it any better. It will be alright sooner or later. :)

@ststyle59 Thank you for the prayers and kind thoughts. So much appreciated. I do know of a couple hip groups on Facebook. I belong to both of them and enjoy reading through them when I can. Are you on there too? I am under my real name there. 'Kay' is a pseudonym as I thought when I signed up here we were encouraged not to use real or too personal identifying info. When I first join somewhere I like to get to know the type of place before giving out too much real info.. not that I'm worried about BoneSmart at this point, but kay seems to have stuck. lol Maybe I'll see you there sometime.

@I'm finally gonna do it!! thank you for the encouragement and empathy. I appreciate it and really needed to hear it. Sometimes we say things, sometimes just little one word things and never realize just what a comfort we've given someone else. Well here's to tell you what a big comfort your words and kindness are to me. Thank you! Hope you are doing well.

kay
 
@Kayviun. Hi Kay .... Lovely to hear from you and that you are doing OK. Don't get sucked into that ' blame culture'. . None of it's your fault... You did as you were told and got the short straw..... As I said mine was due to a flight bit I took aspirin, wore flight socks, walked about and still got the bloody clots.... My sister did none of it and didn't get them ....figure that? You just need to concentrate on getting well again honey..... And you will.....Kay... You will!!!! It is scary honey as I said I took some great tablets that soon got me back on track. Thanks for the PM.... Will go and search for you and send friend request. Thinking of you..... With so many hugs and lots of love ....Chrissie xxxxxxx
 
I would climb into your lap but afraid at this stage I would squash you
It's quite possible I'm a LOT bigger than you! :heehee:
I've had a lot of people keep telling me 'well why weren't you mobile?"
They know not whereof they speak. People who are regularly out jogging or working out in a gym have had thrombosis. Remember Jim Fixx, the guy who created the "jogging if good for you" craze and ultimately died after suffered a massive heart attack while ........ out jogging!
I'm just wondering at the level of set back this might cause for me, if any.
It won't. Contrary to popular belief, THR hips don't actually require any PT and do pretty well on their own if left to get on with it! You'll be fine.
I thought when I signed up here we were encouraged not to use real or too personal identifying info
Not just here - anywhere on the net. Were I ever to sign up on Facebook again (I deleted my account) all the information I entered would be totally false! FB is as insecure as can be and sells your information on as do Google, LinkedIn and all the others. We never do that.
 
Hi Kay...and I sure don't blame you for not ratting on this hospital...just yet. Unfortunately, it is more common in this day and age. Focus on the future and realize that your body is your best indicator. There are other avenues than your OS for managing pain and healing.
Eat more BBQ (gosh, I hope you're near Butts County) and move around and keep sleeping...even if it is just a cat nap or two. I'm post op 8 weeks and for the last four cloudy days in "sunny" FL and have cat napped through three TBS movies a day. I've paid for it, too, as I do get a little stiff when I don't get my outdoor walks.
One day at a time and read LOTS on BS. There are many very smart advisers aboard.
 
Naps the necter of the gods lol. I have not seen a show all the way through since coming home. Just music to sleep by.
 
thank you everyone for the well wishes and replies. Thought I'd get by to add a quick update.
Week 8 post op and day 7 of hospitalization due to pulmonary embolism and clot in leg.

I'm still in the hospital for the clots. I've been told for the past 3 days that I could 'probably go home tomorrow' but 'tomorrow' always finds an excuse to stay. I think they just like my company. :-)
Seriously, trying to get the levels of my Coumadin right. I had yet another EKG today and shortly thereafter a nurse came in to take more blood for blood work. This after having given a gallon of blood 3 hours or so earlier. She asked me if anything had happened as they told her it was 'stat'. Since nothing happened but the test, I've no idea what it was all about to need it immediately...unless maybe they were trying to get the tests done to see if I could go home?
The only thing I was told later was that my levels were now up to 4 and they had to bring them back down. They left off my dose for today and said they'd start again tomorrow with a lower dose. I did have some heart burn/indigestion all night last night. It was a bit scary as it's part of the symptoms this all started with. I've never had issues with heartburn/Gerd anything of that nature but seem to be having it big time now. Wondering if that's a part of having had a embolism but can't find anything about it on the internet. My hip/leg is also bothering me tonight. I haven't much exercise on it at all and am both excited to get over the current health issue and get started on building my strength/stamina, and both scared to death that it may cause issues with the clots. I haven't been told a whole lot about my situation other than the meds are to keep more clots from forming and help my body to 'heal' the current ones. I still have a clot in my leg and was told when admitted I had multiple clots in my lungs. Not sure what my status is now or what happens to the ones already there or how long it will take for them to go away or if they really ever go completely away. Sorry if I'm rambling. I'm nervous thinking about it all, and wondering if I'll ever get back to doing normal things and not worrying about the 'what if's' while doing them.

Well, just rambled right along didn't I? :-) I hope everyone is well. I haven't kept up lately what with the hospital stay and the knack for falling asleep in the middle of doing most anything lately. I'm suppose to return to work the 28th of Feb and am now really concerned over that. I suppose it's still a few weeks away and surely all of this will be well on the mend by then? I am taking more and more steps without my cane. I still limp with or without it, but getting better despite my being trapped in a hospital room I'm also still in isolation as they swear I have the flu..(tested positive so they say)...though I haven't had much that you could call symptoms of the flu. Even the nurses and techs are beginning to forego their masks and laugh it off. Not that I'd want to make anyone sick ever! But the symptoms for flu just aren't here.

Hope you all have a great day and are healing speedily and without ado.
Kay
 
@Kayviun Oh my goodness, my heart feels heavy for you. (((Hugs))).
Please feel better soon.
Praying for your good health.
 
Hi Kay @Kayviun. They sure do seem to like your company in the hospital...you may have to try being mean!! Seriously Hun....until you get the blood thing steady it's best to stay there. It does seem to take an inordinate amount of time to get the levels right...it's a bit trial and error. I know mine were all over the place and like you it made me very anxious but later found out it's absolutely normal ( if only they would say that). You will find that they change the amounts often, as you said, stop taking it one day, add a little more the next. Once you get home you will be able to 'step up' t he walking a little more...which shouldn't affect the clots as you've been on Coumadin for 7 days now...I was in for 10 days and they gave me no restrictions on exercising...not that I did a marathon or anything, just walking. I'm sure once you are home your hip will be able to get on recovering. It's a real bummer that you have to go back to work on February 28th although it may take your mind off things and it's a month away. I went back to work after 2 weeks of the DVT/PE thing but on tablets and it was all fine, the clots dissipated in their own time and I had no further problems. Your limp will go away eventually, Kay, I'm still using one for longer walks and will for as long ad it takes.
Hoping today is a better day for you and that you can soon get home and get on with your hip recovery. Take care and thinking of you. Love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
hi @Kayviun . I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how you are. I hope better and that you'll soon have some good news to tell.
 
Hi Kay @Kayviun. Was glad to hear via your PM that you are home now. We are all thinking about you and waiting to hear that you are back on track in your THR recovery....sending love and hugs from a wet and windy UK. Love Chrissie xxx
 
oh thanks @Hoppy Nanny for that info. good to know kay's home. and thanks to you for following my posts too.
devorah
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom