THR Kay's Recovery Stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ststyle59 On the 13th? We could almost be twins! lol I have to cringe at the thought of your PT and the cane. I've heard of others who started using the cane quite early. Suffice it say, I'm not one of those. I'm agreeing with the thought that our bodies will tell us when it's time and also the "less is best" mantra. I wouldn't worry about the difficulty with the cane. It sounds like it's way too early for that right now but at least you got the experience of trying.
You're doing great with your pain meds! I've just reached a point where I'm spacing out my doses further and further apart. That's partly because I can and partly because I only have lortab at the moment and I totally dislike lortab. It gives me an awful headache which is sometimes worse than the surgery pain/stiffness etc that I'm trying to control. I don't know whether to ask the doctor at my appt for more percocet while I'm there or not. I fear sounding like a druggie even though truth is until this I rarely even took an aspirin.
Sounds like you're right where you're suppose to be.
I wish you a speedy and smooth recovery! Best of everything to you and a very Merry Christmas!
Kay
 
Hi Kay @Kayviun, given you are not one month post surgery, I am sure your Doctor understands and appreciates that a THR is major surgery - I would most certainly be discussing your pain med protocols at your next visit, especially if the Lortab give you headaches.

p.s. Don't forget to visit our BoneSmart New Years Eve online party in the Social room if you can :)
 
Merry Christmas, @Kayviun and @Hoppy Nanny and @ststyle59 and anybody else up and reading! Difficult sleep night here, too, but that seems to be due in part to my ten year-old son kicking me awake while he dreams away. Too much excitement all around!

So, because three a.m. is a great time to write coherently (ha), here goes! :-D

I wonder about your dizzy spells and craving juice instead of Coke-- I had the same thing, and actually drank an electrolyte solution daily for about a week (Gatorade would work in a pinch, but there are healthier ways to do it) to feel better. It's something I do anyway during long climbs, and it helps. The more nutrients, the better! Poppet's articles in the library plus a search for some innovative, tasty smoothie concoctions also helped me. I won't offer favorites because I am a little weird. :-)

Of course, the Lortab and headaches probably aren't helping, either! I totally think you should try to get back to a med that helps without side effects. Make that stupid two-hour drive worth your while!

Which leads me to this thought (take with a grain of electrolyte/salt ;-)): I don't think you are medicating enough. For one errant step to set you back hours just doesn't sound very optimal. Even if you just max your Tylenol to the 4000 mg a day and ice/elevate the heck out of it, I hope you could get to where a wrong step would be a twinge only. Again, my apologies if I am taking this out of context, especially since you write elsewhere of stretching your times between doses!

And speaking of doses, I can offer you my own comparison a few weeks beyond you. Life looks brighter, and I actually have a moment here and there where the recovery takes a back seat to other, more interesting things, like holidays! I still wear out easily, and slept through our neighborhood party the other day when I only meant to take a little snooze, but that just saved me from terminal chitchat. Routines are easier, but I celebrate each small milestone because it really is a big deal. I still ice a few times a day, for it helps me keep the pain at bay, and I am still maxing out my Tylenol. In return, I have the gift of walking with no devices until I fatigue-- then the crutch comes out. And usually with the crutch, I take a prescription med, almost preemptively.

Okay, enough preaching-- you sound so much better! I just don't want you to keep feeling faint and, well, hurt.

I hope you get your shower soon!

Merry, merry Christmas to you. Have a wonderful day :-)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
@Kayviun, thank you for your response, first, from everything that I have researched prior to this surgery, you are well in your "time frame" to ask your Doc for additional pain meds, like yourself, I am not an abuser either, it is our medical right to attain a "certain comfort level," and rest assured, I just filled my 2nd Rx yesterday for #20 more codones, should I "use" these up and am still having significant discomfort, I most certainly will request another script, not even remotely concerned about it; so go for it! .....@mountaingirl, thank you for your input as well, seems like I am not the only one who sleeps 3-4 hours, then gets up, and repeats the nighttime cycle. ..have a wonderful Christmas day everyone......
 
@MountainGirl Merry Christmas to you....hope you had great Xmas day.....you seem to be doing great on your revovery...do hope that continues....each week brings something new and recovery moves on.....take care...Chrissie


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Wow, firs off sorry for your crazy hospital experience and early recovery hassles. Good your staple situation got worked out. Recovery is hard enough with all that other stuff to think about. Your only job should be having to recover, not having to battle the system. I would say if you are having trouble with the pain med thing, maybe your GP can help you. I see it is workmanship comp, but if you have a regular doctor, perhaps you could talke to he /she. Picking up a script in town would be so much easier.

I'd like to caution you (from my own experience) to not focus too much on the comparison of your recovery to others. I know it is good to know a general timeline of when people get off the walker, the cane, do this or that, but is truly such an individual experience. You need to trust your gut and your body to tell you when you are ready for the next step. I have seen so many people hurt themselves doing too much too fast.

That being said, I had my revision surgery on the 18th and I am still taking oxycodone every 4 hours and I need it. I actually set my alarm and get up during the night to take it. The other night I set the alarm wrong, did not take a dose and woke up a couple hours after that and KNEW what my pain pills were doing for me. I felt SOOO much worse.

Hang in there, slow and steady (with ice :) wins this race.
Hope you start having a smoother ride
Cathy
 
@Poppet You were right about the doctor! I saw him yesterday (Friday) for my first followup appt (I'll do an update on that momentarily) and he gave me another script for the Percocet. He said he'd rather me take the meds and be able to move than not to take meds or to take ones that didn't work and not be able to move or do rehab. So, that was a blessing indeed! Thank you for the heads up on the New Year's Eve party. Sounds like lots of fun and I am certainly going to try to be there. Thanks again for your assurance and comfort. Much appreciated!

@MountainGirl Thank you for the concern and the advice. It's so good to have a place to come where you feel people genuinely care about your welfare. I'm sorry it took so long to get back here. No excuses other than energy drain and the sheer busy-ness of life and holding down that dang recliner that keeps trying to get away :wink: I did have my first followup doctor's appointment yesterday (Friday) and was able to get another prescription for the percocet. As I said to Poppet above, he was very amiable to having me take what works as he seemed to be truly concerned about my being pain free in order to move so that was a positive. I'm going to do an update and don't want to bore the mass with numerous repeats, so will save the bulk of the visit for later. For now just wanted to say thank you. The electrolyte idea is a great. I had wondered about that myself along with whether I should be taking vitamins. I'm probably the worst patient in the world when it comes to things nutrition and I think my body may be rebelling over that fact. My own fault and one I need to work on. I agree too that I'm probably not medicating enough lately. I'm down to taking my meds pretty much only at night now, though I did save a couple of percs to take on the trip to the doctor. Anyhoo, a very big thank you. Sounds like you're doing great. I'll be glad when everything is back to normal. Right now one of my biggest issues is energy drain. I can go from 65 to 0 in nothing flat it seems. Best of the best to you and continued wishes for a grand healing. Thank you!

@ststyle59 Apologies for my late reply. Seems every time I stop by to post I start reading and reading and then next thing I'm completely exhausted! I know everyone else is too and it's no excuse, but it's real even if lame of me. Be glad when this part is over. Thank you for your reassurance on the pain meds. I know in my heart that I deserve to have the pain meds and that I am in no way an abuser (I rarely took an aspirin before this), but it's good to hear someone else assure me of this. Thank you again. Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and are doing well.

@VThereandnow Thank you so much for your empathy. I'm not even going to pretend my 'start out' wasn't awful because it truly was one of the worst hospital experiences of my life. Things have much improved since coming home though. I feel myself getting stronger day by day with good moments and bad moments, but at least it's a steady sort of improvement. :-) I think it's finally sinking in that each recovery is done in ones own time. Of course I always knew this but I'm not sure I took it to heart. Thank you for your encouragement and concern. I wish you all the best on your revision. I too, can tell what my pain meds are doing for me though at this point in time I think I tend to wait a bit long to take them. Like MountainGirl suggested, I may not be medicating quite often enough. I'll definitely be keeping a better eye on that. Thank you again and wishing you speedy and uneventful healing! :-)

Thank you to all,
Kay:thankyou:
 
Well, as promised, here's my next update. 19 days post op. Does seem like this recovery goes on and on! I do feel a bit stronger every day though stamina/energy levels are still giving me fits. Seems like I can be feeling like I could take on the world one minute and after a simple task, getting a drink, bathing, washing dishes for instance, I am completely tuckered out. I will say that emotionally I'm feeling better. I do have my occasional periods when I fall into that 'woe is me/will this ever end' but for the most part I've seen an upswing in my mood and general mental outlook. It's about time too. :yes!:

I had my first followup appointment with my doctor yesterday. It was a long 2 plus hour trip one way. We stopped about half way there and back so that I could get out and piddle around on my walker. Getting there wasn't really an issue and I arrived a bit tired but not feeling too bad. I had saved 2 percocets out of my original prescription just for this trip as the Lortab I'd been prescribed afterwards did me no good. I'm glad I did because I think it would have been a lot worse if I'd had to depend on the Lortab.

They took an x-ray while I was there. This was probably the worst part. The tech told me to get on the table, which I did, though I was a bit worried because the tech walked out and I could see myself trying to roll onto the table and off the other side. I did fine though and managed to adjust myself where I needed to be. The tech then told me to pull up my knee and allow my leg to 'fall' to the side. I immediately balked. I had just had a discussion with my PT the day before about restrictions and he had said that THAT position, where you're lying on your back with your knee pulled up is fine but that I was not to allow my leg to 'fall to the side' until all restrictions had been lifted and my doctor had given the ok. The tech was asking me to push it down to the table while bent and out to the side. Sort of like sitting indian style while lying down. I told them I was told not to do that and that I couldn't do it anyway..which I can't at this time. (Heck, I haven't been able to do that for 2 years since the original injury!) It's too stiff and painful and I don't have that mobility yet.
So finally they tell me to 'just do the best you can'. I did try to push it down a bit but it really, really, hurt and I'm not sure if I was more mad at myself for trying to do what they'd asked, or at them for asking me to do something that I wasn't suppose to be doing anyway. They got their x-ray though and off to the doctors room I went to wait.
The doctor came in and looked at my x-ray and said everything looked good. He then went on to gush (I was quite amused at his excitement and animation when he told me this part) that usually when doing these operations there are adjustments that must be made on the bone etc, in order to have it fit properly. He said my body and bone structure were perfect and that the prosthesis was as if it had been custom made just for me. He did say that it had no bearing on how long it would last, but was still extremely excited at how well it fit. I must say the x ray did look perfect even to my inexperienced eyes. So, I guess that's a good thing?

I also told him about my 'boo boo' the other day when I inadvertently (stupidly!) turned and took a step bearing my full weight on my leg and how it gave out with me. He said he didn't see any damage or anything to worry about but had no explanation as to why my leg wouldn't hold up. He did say that sometimes when the muscles are moved and then reattached that they can 'roll' or 'pop' in the early stages of healing and that I perhaps had twisted the muscle in some way. As it seems to be ok now, I'm not going to worry about it. It does make me a bit cautious about wanting to put full weight on it though. He said I'm to start practicing with a cane next week though only in the house and if I go outside the house or anywhere else that I am to use the walker.

He gave me another prescription for Percocet and had no issues doing so,saying he'd rather me take the meds that work rather than not move or do my rehab because of pain. I was surprised he actually said that as I fully expected him to give me issues about more pain meds. Guess I got worked up over nothing. It probably didn't hurt though that I had a friend along who didn't waste time telling him how Lortab wired me and kept me awake not to mention the awful headaches they cause me. He didn't give me as many as when I left the hospital though they are a stronger strength for whatever reason. I'm not taking them round the clock now so hopefully these will last for the duration and I can get off them soon. I'm mainly taking them at night as the late afternoon/evening is when I seem to hit that 'crappy mode' stage.

I do feel stronger these days though it can come and go. I can get in and out of bed just fine though a bit slow sometimes. I get up and down out of my recliner with no issues at all. I'm moving around on my walker fine and turn loose often to do certain things though can't walk with no aide just yet. My sleeping habits are awful except for yesterday and last night after returning from the doctors trip. My return trip was a bit rough and I was sore and stiff and uncomfortable by the time I got home. I wound up going to bed and staying there until early afternoon today. Guess I really was exhausted. When I got up I felt much better though and surprisingly wasn't stiff at all after being in bed for so long.

This morning I also 'slept' on my un-operated side for a bit. It's the first time I've tried getting off my back. I had a pillow between my legs and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. It was sooooo good to be off my back for a change! I still haven't laid on my operated side and don't think I'll be doing that for awhile yet as my incision is still tender.

I've had two showers since finally figuring out how to get into my tub (I have a shower chair that I slide onto) and it's been like heaven. :)

I wanted to mention that if you're in need of a bag to carry things in on your walker, a bicycle bag works great. Last year I received a new bike along with accessories which I haven't yet been able to use. (I had surgery last year that didn't go as planned and haven't been able to ride it yet) I put the bicycle bag on my walker to haul things in on the walker. It's lite weight and had all the attachments already on it to secure it to the walker. Just an idea for those who might could use it. I also have a bike bell on my walker. No reason. lol My friends thought a bright pink bike bell with a peace sign would be just the perfect accessory for this rebel grandma. :blush: And yes, I showed up at the doc's office with it still attached, having forgotten it was still installed.

At this time I can do very small chores, such as wash up the breakfast dishes. Make myself uncomplicated meals. I can get in and out of my bed with no problem though sometimes it's a bit slow. I can get in and out of chairs with no issues at all. I could probably do lots of other things but my house is rather small and not always easy to get around through the narrow hallway and such. I get a good work out just heading to the potty. The pain level is mainly due to stiffness and some soreness if I don't move for awhile or soreness a tiny ache, if I move too much too often. The biggest issues I have pain wise is my back and my arms and hands. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and I think the use of the walker has really set that off. Sometimes if it weren't for my back/arms/hands, I'd be very comfortable. Not sure what is setting my back off. It's only on one side, the surgery side, and the only thing I can think of is because I'm not walking correctly and it maybe puts more pressure/twist on the surgery side. My hands are numb the majority of the time which is concerning not to mention very uncomfortable. My friend put some Styrofoam on the handles of my walker and it seems to have helped somewhat but I still have the pain. I use moist heat on my back (and sometimes my arms and hands too) which seem to relieve the pain but wish I knew of something that would provide more relief. I've also used Aspercreme rub on my back and arms. It does a tiny bit of good but not much and I wonder if I should be using it with the blood thinner I'm on since the creme has aspirin in it.

I still crave juice and have no use for coke or cola's. Maybe too much info, but with the pain meds, even cut down, I still need a dose of Milk of Magnesia all along. I'm doing the stool softeners too but they don't seem to really do much for me. My sleeping habits are all over the board. I usually go to bed quite early and fall asleep quickly but after an hour or two I'm awake again and watch the telly off and on throughout the night between dozing, even yesterday when I spent all night and much of the day in bed, it was a lot of dozing rather than straight through sleeping.

I'm wondering about taking vitamins and what would be the best to take. Vitamin C or a daily multivitamin and if I can do that while taking the blood thinner. It's odd in how I crave the juice though I'm not really feeling extremely thirsty or dehydrated. I just crave juice. I also can't eat much at one time. I'll be so hungry but by the time I get ready to eat I'm no longer hungry. Weird for me. And finally, I crave ice cream, but only at night. I'll eat a little bowl each evening like clockwork. I've never been much of a dairy product type because of lactose intolerance, so this is also weird for me. Oddly, I've had no issues with the small bowl of ice cream each night though. I'm feeling totally backwards in how I usually am as far as nutrition and such.

If I could get rid of the back and arm/hand pain, I think I'd be doing fairly well. Of course I'm still not walking unaided, but I guess we'll start on that next week some time. I'm a bit nervous about it but excited too. I have a brand new cane in a purple swirl pattern so I should be styling for an older-ish grandma :heehee:

Edited this to finish up my doctors visit. Wasn't really much to it. He said he basically called his patients in on this visit to make sure the staples were out and that there was no drainage. Both were ok. I go back in four weeks at which time he says he'll check my leg strength and things of that nature. I think really that except for getting the prescription, there wasn't much need for a 4 1/2 hour round trip though it is nice to know that everything is going along as it should. And that was that.

Looking back on the past 19 days, I would never have believed I'd have come this far since surgery. I know it doesn't seem like much, and many others are doing far better than I at this stage, but for me and all I had to go through, it's a great deal of progress in my eyes. Thank you all for being here, for listening to my rants, whines, tears, joys, and answering the hundred and one questions, and for making me feel not so alone.

Wishing everyone a great day!
Kay :thankyou:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kayviun hi Kay...just popped back from my thread and saw your update.....how fabulous that you managed so well on your long journey to see your surgeon and what good news about your ' perfect fit' prosthesis ....how good is that!! You are not even 3 weeks out and doing great....getting on and off the X ray table in itself must have been a big ask. I too found a bag very useful...I used a denim bag with long handles to go across my body when I went up and downstairs...worked very well. Didn't have a pink bell though!!! Although I want one now!! Liked the Rebel Grandma...that's what we all aim to be.
Can't imagine why you crave juice now.....strange how our bodies work. I drank pints and pints of water as was very thirsty all the time and felt very righteous....not a cola/ coke person myself. It is weird in the recovery that you can feel fine for a while and then go into 'crappy' mode....think it's your body telling you to rest. Know what you mean about the hand situation with the walker (although we have elbow crutches over here)....it killed my hands, neck and shoulders and I don't have carpel tunnel. I stuck all sorts onto the handles but didn't help. Once you go onto one cane/crutch it will help....but not until you are very ready!!
It's not until you look back during the recovery and realise how far you've come and what progress you have made....so glad for you Kay...it's a magical, mystery tour this THR business for sure. Have a great New Year..2014 is gonna be good....Love Chrissie xxxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thanks Chrissie! I drank lots of water when I first got home from the hospital along with juice. The water craving finally abated a bit but the juice thingie still rages on. I'm not complaining, just find it odd. Anyhoo, just noticed your post and wanted to stop by and say hello and thank you. :-) Wishing you a grand New Year and a perfect tomorrow!
kay
 
For numbness in your hands, you might try wearing biking gloves. - they help with numbness when gripping handlebars on the bike. They are padded in the palm area and have open fingers. Of course that means wearing gloves a lot - but it's a thought...and try not to grip and lean on the walker so hard if you are ready for that

Pat
 
@charmed-life That's an excellent suggestion on the biker gloves. I have some of what I think you're talking about. They're half finger gloves with gel inserts in the palms. I'll have to hunt them up and see how it works.
Thanks a bunches!
Kay
 
Update: Wow! Here I am on week 3 after surgery. I saw my home nurse again today. I didn't think she was suppose to come again but she called this morning and said she'd been cleared for another visit. She came by and checked my incision area and said it looked great. While she was here I mentioned the pain in my arms and hands. As it were, I woke up this morning in terrible pain, both hands, arms and an odd burning/aching sensation in my thigh area of the surgery leg and behind my knee. The leg/knee pain didn't really start bad until this morning but I was up most of the night with my arms hurting. We were talking and she asked about my blood thinner which is Xarelto. She said they'd had numerous complaints from patients about arms/legs hurting and numbness which I've also had in my hands. I hadn't thought about the two being related but now I'm wondering if my pain issues and such haven't been caused by the blood thinner. She wound up calling my doctor's nurse. The nurse upon hearing the issues called him in surgery and he said to stop taking the blood thinner immediately. I usually take it at night so this will be my first night without it. She thought maybe he'd have me take aspirin but he didn't order anything else. I'm wondering if 3 weeks out if I should be concerned about not taking anything to prevent clots? I assume since my doctor didn't authorize anything else that it'll be ok. I tried to research how long it takes Xarelto to leave your system but couldn't find anything on it. It's a rather new drug from what I hear.
Anyhoo, I've hurt so bad today I wound up taking two percocet when I've been doing pretty good with one at bedtime and occasionally one during the night. I still have a bruise behind my knee which is very sore at times but nothing like it hurt this morning. In fact, I hurt more this morning than I have the entire time since the very early one or two days after surgery.
On a more positive note, after getting the pain somewhat under control today I noticed my walking had improved considerably. I'm still on the walker and still have the limp but I seemed to have a much smoother gait for some reason than I have been. Odd with all the pain I was in this morning. I'm looking forward to trying a cane but have to wait for my PT to come tomorrow before I start. It'll only be inside the house, but it's progress!

Oh, the nurse also said that feeling faint and actual fainting complaints were coming in about the new blood thinner. I wonder now too, if my two 'almost' fainting spells weren't caused by the blood thinner. Don't want to grasp at straws, but it seems to all fit in. I still run out of energy quite often, but am slowly getting better each day. :-)

Wishing all a safe and happy New Year with bright futures and painless days ahead!
Kay
 
[Bonesmart.org] Kay's Recovery Stages
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Kay's Recovery Stages
bottomshollow
 
@ Kayviun great update honey. Glad your walking is better too...makes a difference to how you perceive your recovery when something starts to feel more normal....strange about the blood thinners...but I'm sure as you are moving and are more mobile the threat of blood clots diminish. I, too had very bad knee pains ..felt like I had a block behind my knee and it is still quite stiff but wearing off......all part of the things that happen after the op. Mine felt better when I took those awful TED tights off. The exhaustion lasts for some time......but it sure is your body saying slowly slowly please. Hope you enjoyed your New Year's Eve ....we went to friends and had a quiet Italian three course meal.....stayed at their house....didn't sleep well and feeling stiff from all the sitting down. Hope your recovery goes from strength to strength Kay...as Im sure it will. My twin sister is having her knee replaced tomorrow and I'm so worried about her...she is petrified too.....keeping everything crossed all goes well....she has just joined BS and loves it too. We are very close...was going to say we are joined at the hip...but not now with my new one! Ha..ha. Take care and keep posting....Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Sounds like you had a very peaceful New Year's eve. I do imagine you were sore and stiff having been away from your usual recovery area and where things might be more handy. I hope you are feeling better by now. I'm impressed by all the traveling and visiting you've done since your surgery. I hope I manage to do as well in the near future. My very best to your sister. I so totally understand her fear as my own terror isn't that far in the past! :yikes: Sending my kindest and most calming thoughts her way. I'm sorry you've said she's on Bonesmart but I guess I haven't met her yet? I haven't really looked around much lately here. I get started but seem to flip-flop and lose my place. My own foggy brain, not the site's fault.
I stayed home for New Years. Lots of fireworks going off from the neighborhood so can't say it was quiet, but I couldn't sleep anyway so it was nice in an odd sort of way, to have company throughout the night. lol
I walked on a cane for the first time yesterday and again today. Not very far but it was/is a start. It wasn't as hard as I'd imagined though I did seem to run out of energy after only a few short trips in the house. The PT guy also gave me some more exercises and they are somewhat harder than the earlier ones. Getting there slowly but surely.

My best to you and to your sister.
Kay
 
Hey Kay.. glad you are progressing well! The cane has been a wonderful move for me. Really helped having the PT help me transition today. I was worried about moving to the one crutch, the cane really freaked me out but it was easier than I thought! I too have to travel two hours to have my staples removed and prob have xrays etc. So I can relate to the long ride. Dear husband said he will take me.. so happy I'll have company! Well.. take care and great reading your thread.. glad you are on the mend!
 
@Kayviun Well done on walking so well with the cane...progress indeed! It's all coming together for you Kay and I'm so pleased. Thanks for the good wishes for my sister...they couldn't do spinal had to have GA...she's in a lot of pain and feeling nauseous...went and saw her today...four hour round trip but worth it.....had to satisfy myself she was ok....a bit weepy but she had a little walk too. I put some photos on my thread of me and her...we are very alike, even at our age. Do hope your improvements carry on....love Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@dkirk0530 Thank you! My two hour ride wasn't too bad though I had more trouble/stiffness coming home than going, and once home I was done. I would suggest if you're still on meds, taking one before you go and another for the trip home. Also, if you can stop and walk around a bit half way through (I would suggest at least 2 stops on a two hour ride, I was advised of this by my PT but thought I could do on one stop. I think two would have been much better.), it will help with the stiffness and such. Thanks again and best of healing and recovery to you.

@Hoppy Nanny Thank you Chrissie! I've done the cane several times since my last post. I'll be glad when I can ditch the walker completely. Right now the cane is in 'practice' mode (according to my PT guy anyway)
I am so very sorry to hear of the pain and discomfort your sister is in. So breaks my heart to hear of anyone in pain. Hopefully it gets sorted soon and she can find some comfort. What a grand sister you are to travel so far in your own recovery to check on her. That's so sweet. I haven't seen the pic's yet but will check them out shortly.
My best to you and to your sister. I will be thinking of her (and you) and sending kind thoughts and prayer your way.

Kay
 
Update 3wks 4days: Still on walker though practicing with cane. My PT guy came today and I did several rounds on the cane. He wasn't happy with the way I was walking to begin with and several times reached out to 'catch' me though in my mind I felt I was doing just fine. :tada: Once I did feel like I was leaning sideways..as in I'm going to keep going sideways lol, but I gently caught a chair and righted myself. The second time I wasn't on the cane but was doing stand up exercises in front of the walker and he seemed to think I was falling backwards. I didn't feel that way at all, but he 'caught' me. I was truly sorry that I made him nervous (I didn't even know I was doing these things and felt fine, except for the leaning to the side that one time) but I did find it somewhat amusing in an unintentional wicked sort of way I guess. :blush: He did say I was doing much better by the time he left and I'd practiced a few rounds.
He also wants me to pay attention to how I'm sitting. I seem to sit 'one sided' as in favoring the bad hip. I know I do this without even thinking which is his point. He doesn't want me to learn bad habits. Still, it's hard sometimes as my hip will ache/feel like I'm sitting on a tennis ball and I can't help but favor it when I sit. I shall try to do better though.

I asked him if I could try to progress over to the cane more than the walker. He said to keep practicing but that at night when I get up to potty or in the day time to make longer strolls, I should stay with the walker for now. I'm a little bit disappointed. I know he's right and that I'm not really ready to totally depend on the cane, but I'm sooooooooo tired of this cumbersome walker, and I feel like I'm behind in recovery. Behind what I'm not sure. Just behind. My house is small to begin with so it really is a workout to get around except for a small area in the living room and kitchen. My hall and doorways are narrow and I'm exhausted sometimes just making it back to the bathroom. :sigh: There just isn't a lot of room for straight out walking. Just seems it would be easier for me in my circumstance to get around on the cane. Not like I'm not in close proximity to something to grab, except when in the hallway and there's always the wall I guess. He seemed to be afraid I'd trip/fall/crash and burn. I swear I think he's the greatest, but he reminds me of my doting and over protective grandmother (rest her sweet soul) sometimes.

I did neglect to take a regular pain pill today and instead tried a couple of tylenol. That was a big mistake. By the time my PT guy got here I was in quite a bit of discomfort. It was too close to taking the tylenol and I was afraid to take a stronger pain pill then. After the workout this afternoon, I really was hurting. I finally took one of the lortab which I hate, but am trying to save my perc's for night time use. Lortab so far hasn't done much for me and I'm now in a bit of a bad mood and can't get comfortable. I think I'm also going through the moody blues. I thought I was better, but now I seem to tear up at the drop of a hat. I hate feeling this way. Wish I could get out of the house, am suffering bad from cabin fever, but it's either cold or rainy and the one really nice day we had I was feeling exceptionally weak and sickly that day. Figures. Ah well, this too shall pass.

Other than watching how I sit and being admonished to be extra careful when using the cane, he said I was doing fine and shouldn't worry about my recovery. Still, I do feel like maybe I'm not doing enough. As said, I don't have very much area to walk in though I do what I can. The least effort seems to exhaust me and it seems like this recovery goes on forever. As it's a work comp case, I also have to deal incessantly with their paperwork and red tape which is really beginning to get me down. Seems like they would want you to heal and be done, but instead it seems they try every way to hinder your healing/recovery. During my last surgery my employer went so far as to tell me I couldn't follow my doctors orders, which was to stay off ladders etc and to rest once every hour, because 'no one else could do that'. Yeah. Gee. Wish I could say I'm the only one with the issue, but it seems to be a major issue with the company I work for. I just don't want to mess this up. Another job I can find. Another hip, don't want to go through this again. Not that I even know when I'm headed back to work yet. I just worry about every little thing it seems. Some due to past experience and reality, some due to my own worrisome mind. Add to that taking care of my elderly mothers business needs and I think I'm just tired. I know. Woe is me and yes I'll take cheese with my whine please! :boohoo::blush::)

I still seem to have major issues sleeping at night and do more dozing/waking than actual straight sleeping. I have on several occasions managed to lie on my side and doze off for a bit and while not extremely comfortable, just the fact of being off my back feels like heaven.

As for the surgery itself, it's still a wonder to me that all the arthritic ache and burn is gone. I know that sooner or later this surgery/recovery pain will be gone too and that's what I hold on to. :happydance:Now if it would just fast forward a bit quicker!

Not sure if this is an update or a vent but I thank you for listening just the same!
All the best to all of you and hope your New Year has gotten off to a great start.

P.S. Edited this again because I forgot to say what I accomplished today! Besides PT this afternoon, I managed to clean the kitchen..dishes, counter tops, and table which seems to collect everything lately, took a shower and a shampoo, and found my way to the closet to pull out some clothes to put in a more convenient place for now. Guess I have done a bit though not much compared to many of you. Still, along with my other exercises before PT ever got here, and the 'here and there' picking up along with online bill paying and check book balancing, I guess I have done a bit today, and all while hauling around that cantankerous walker. :egypdance:
Kay
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom