THR Kay's Recovery Stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kayviun Hi Kay....I do so love reading your posts......they tickle me!! Your P T guy must be challenging...I know he doesn't want you to develop bad habits...but it's still very early days only just over 3 weeks. And to compare him to your doting grandma !! I am still favouring my non operated side...I think it just takes practice and I stuck with the 2 crutches for 4 weeks. The blues is so much a part of this whole recovery process....seems to overwhelm, doesn't it...but you having to deal with your mum's finances and work niggles too doesn't help. The whole sleep deprivation thing is horrible but it does get better as I am now sleeping quite well...I'm favouring sleeping on my back too which is weird as I dreaded that part of the recovery, perhaps I'm just still too cowardly to try my operated side. So glad to hear that you feel justified in having the op and feel it to be a success. Yep fast forwarding the recovery is a wish I had every day but there's no rushing it...take your time Kay, we need these hips to be with us for life. I know I'm doing well as visiting my sis in hospital it was such a long, long walk to the ward and I had no issues but my 40 year old daughter went today and complained so much about how far it was...guess it's a good sign.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sorry Kay pressed wrong button...didn't sign off...must be old age .....keep up the good work. You are doing just dandy....take it easy too...you deserve it...sending love and best wishes. Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thank you Chrissie. I truly do appreciate your responses and your kindness. The fact that you made it down the long ward without issues is fantastic. I wish you continued healing and smooth sailing ahead.
My very best to you, and thank you sincerely.
Kay
 
Kay, I think you are being very hard on yourself! You are only a scant 3 weeks out from this major surgery!!! You're doing VERY well!!!

But....please don't try to rush yourself. You are not at all "behind." But you may find yourself hurting more than you need to if you don't allow yourself the time your body needs to heal before pushing ahead to household chores and walking with a cane. The fact is that you need your walker right now. You should continue to use it until you can walk with a normal gait using it. It is the only way you will get the balance and support you must have to obtain that normal gait with heel to toe steps.

You say your living space is small and you don't have much room to move about. Do you live in a house or an apartment? We need to find you some space where you can use your walker to go in a straight path for a while. That's how you will improve your gait. It's okay to practice with the cane a little, but stick with the walker for the most part until you have the gait down.

You need to not scrimp on your pain meds either. Some of what you are feeling is pain related - the blues and pain. Don't try to save pills. When you don't take them on a regular schedule your body has to work harder to fight the pain when you DO take one. Pick a schedule that works and stay with it. Take them through the day and night both. You need constant medication in your body to do any real good for pain.

Hang in there. I know recovery is tough. But it does get better with time and a strong dose of patience.
 
Hi @Kayviun, I agree with Jamie... I don't think you have received the links to these articles, apologies if you have, but it might be a good time to re-read them :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

But first the BoneSmart mantra

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you

- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again

- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it

- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

Pain management and the pain chart

Healing: how long does it take?

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule

Energy drain for THRs

Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Activity progression for THRs

Home physio (PT)

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
@Jamie Hi Jamie! Thank you for the response. Sorry it took so long to get back. I was trying to let the blues pass. I seem to come on here and vent more than offer anything constructive to those that follow. I do apologize for that. Just trying to be honest also, with both the good and the bad. :) I appreciate your encourage and advice sooooo much! I needed to hear that just now. I have (before I read this) switched over to mostly cane use in the house. I do/did worry about my gait as it's certainly not what it should be, a fact my PT guy reminded me gently of that today, though he said for the time frame I'm fine. He said I could continue on the cane but showed me ways of walking and things I should practice on and do in order to walk correctly. Of course if I ever make it outside (need I say coooold here?) I'll be using my walker. Don't think my balance is good enough for the cane on uneven ground right now. Besides the doctor told me if I go outside the house or travel anywhere to be sure and use the walker. Not sure how long he meant..until I see him again at 6 weeks, or until I'm better balanced if that happens before then. I do agree with you that the walker would probably be better but my house is so small and it's such a major ordeal to get through it with the cumbersome walker. To answer your question I live in a mobile home. Think long but very narrow and there you have it. Not a mansion but I keep telling myself it's paid for. lol I'm hoping to finally get outside some later in the week as I hear the weather will be warming up then. Keeping fingers crossed! I so need to get out of these four walls! I have a nice very quiet paved road to walk on out front and a friend who will walk with me. I may try that instead of the uneven back yard.
I know I shouldn't scrimp on pain meds. I get into trouble each and every time I try. I am just afraid of running out and desperately needing something and not having it. I worried about this before, without cause as it turned out, but I still don't know how many times the doc will allow me more meds or if he'll say 'you've had enough'. I did go almost f24 hours yesterday without anything and didn't have much pain until this morning. I'd been sick with what I guess was a stomach bug (still have it somewhat) but finally took a percocet wondering if it might be med withdrawal? Not sure, but at least I'm not hurting at the moment, so slight nausea or no, I'm a happy little bug for now. I guess I should just take them as I need them (even my PT guy advised me to when my friend blabbed on me about not taking them) and worry about it later.
Thank you again for the encouragement and advice. Very much appreciated!
My best to you :thankyou:
Kay
 
@Poppet Thank you! I have read the links..several times, but am obviously always fogged out on pain meds or in the mist of some real or imagined woe as I keep forgetting much of it..the most important parts. :scratch: I'll re read again, and read until I have it down pat. Thank you for reminding me. I know I must try the groups patience sometimes!
You are very much appreciated. Thanks again and the best of days to you. :thankyou:
kay
 
Update Week 4 and 1 day: I pretty much said most of it in Jamie's post above, but I'll post it here to maybe make it easier to find/read for future reference...or something. :heehee:

In the last couple of days I have switched completely to the cane..at least in the house..and at least for now. Not saying I won't pick up the walker again, but for me as explained in earlier posts, my house is small and it just feels easier to get around with the cane at this time. I have nearly tripped several times trying to get the walker through narrow doorways, and as odd as it may sound, I feel almost safer with using the cane in the house.

I saw my PT guy today and he gave me yet more exercises to do. Some of them are so hard! I didn't realize how hard it would be to trust my leg to completely support me. He had me try to stand on my op leg and bring up my good leg. I had to hold on to the walker for dear life! One thing I can say, I'm getting some amazing arm muscles through all of this. :happydance: I know. Not funny, but finding the positive here! :snork: After several tries and much encouragement from both PT and standby friend, I finally managed it..with a little help from my arms. Of course I was instantly corrected, in a very nice way, and I promised to practice faithfully until I can hopscotch down the sidewalk...without the cheat factor of arm strength.
I'm also practicing my gait while using the cane. I have to keep reminding myself of the toe/heel or is it heel/toe? Any wonder why I so often get it wrong? :rolleyes: Funny how sometimes I can walk along and have it down pretty good and then other times I'm so completely off I look like a drunken sailor.

I've been sleeping on my non-operated side fairly regularly lately, with a pillow between my knees of course. I'm a side sleeper normally. Unfortunately, the side that was operated on and find it very hard to get comfortable for sleeping. This morning I took the plunge and tried lying on my operated side. I lasted about two minutes. It wasn't bad but did have a measure of discomfort in it and it felt like a 'pulling' sensation so I flipped back to my back.

At four weeks out, I'm wondering what the dislocation percentage is? I'm at a point where while I still have pain..if you count stiffness, soreness, and the occasional ache/burn as pain..(runs from a 1 to about 7 at its worse depending, though not often that high) I often forget my 90 degree precaution. While I don't break it to the point of tying my shoes (I'm reminded quickly that I can't do that just yet), I do tend to lean further than in the beginning after surgery, 'slightly' breaking the rule. I also forget and turn/pivot instead of actually picking my foot up. I gave my PT guy hives today when I did that. Truth is, I have on socks so my foot actually does 'turn' but he seems to think I may do it and not turn so easily causing an issue. Besides it's a bad habit. Have I mentioned my doting Grandmother and my PT's likeness? :loll:Got to love him though. After the rotten experience with the hospital it's a real blessing to have someone who seems to genuinely care about his patients. This is suppose to be the last week he comes for home PT but he's trying to get approved for another couple of weeks of home visits. Suits me fine. I remember having to go to PT when I had my last surgery. Those 3 x a week got old in a hurry even when I'd reached the point of driving myself. And I do still have some balance issues. I feel safe enough in the house, but am a little leery of actually getting out and having to face the world. Chicken me. I know. Get over it! :snork:

I'm still using the potty riser as I find it more comfortable. My toilet sits rather low and I'd definitely break the precaution using it without the riser. I do tend to lean forward too far when getting up these days, not to mention turning and twisting to reach for things before I really think about it. I guess it's a good sign that I can do it, but worry sometimes about maybe over doing it and causing a ruckus. I have a dread of dislocating in the shower or on the toilet..and being left in a um, predicament. Sort of like my friend who once caught a virus traveling home in a plane and of all the things she could have prayed for, prayed she wouldn't crash and burn with her head in a toilet. The things we worry about!

Guess I really don't have much of an update. Seems things are going along about the same though feel stronger in my leg each day..or two. I do still have a major time with stamina and energy in general, along with the occasional blues that pop up. Not so much drowsiness/sleepiness though I can't sleep worth a toot. More like doing things and then finding myself needing to sit down and rest. I think that's the depressing part. Wanting to do something and being able somewhat to do it, but running out of energy. Even my PT guy agreed that the energy drain is a bit much but while concerned, didn't really offer any suggestions for improvement. Maybe I'm just lazy...:yawn:

Speaking of sleep..I did sleep better last night. I was sick most of yesterday and last night. I don't know if it's a stomach virus or the fact that I hadn't taken any meds for nearly 24 hours (too sick to even take them if you get my drift), but also wondered if it were med withdrawals too. I finally was able to take my percocet later this morning and while still somewhat nauseous at least I wasn't hurting. I'm feeling better now, so hoping whatever it was is on its way out.

I still have each and every one of my steri strips....I think there must be hundreds, or they've multiplied when i wasn't looking! How long does it take these things to fall off? Not one is even thinking about letting go its tenacious grasp. I got a peek at my scar this morning. It looks rather rough and scabby. Not infected or anything but thinking I need to put something on it, even tho I was told not to. Vitamin E maybe? Perhaps some paint thinner to loosen up those steri strips..? KIDDIN' Sheesh.

Well. Could have probably done this update in one sentence. Everything about the same only in a stronger fashion. But what's the fun of that? :giggle:

I'm hoping to get outside later in the week as it warms up. I am so not a cold weather person! For now my hot water is frozen solid as is all faucets but for the bathroom. I left the water dripping but awoke to an icicle in the kitchen. Mother Nature has such a sense of humor. Hoping for no busted pipes in the morrow when things finally begin to thaw out. Everybody on three..cross your fingers! Such are the pleasures of living in the ill-prepared -for- cold-weather south.

Wishing for whatever puts a smile on your face in the days to come! I appreciate all of you, though I may not always say it.:thankyou:
Kay
 
I'm wondering.. If I have questions, general questions for instance to no one in particular, do i just post them here on my recovery thread? I'm just wondering how anyone will know there is a question as there's quite a bit to keep up with what with the forum being so large. In pre op I know you can start a new thread that will be seen quickly but here not sure how it will be seen. Is there a better way to do it? Forgive me if I'm dense.
Thank you.
Kay
 
@Kay, "mornin'!!! ....seems like you and I are on thee same routine.....your "update" at 4 weeks is almost me to a "t!!" Today is my first initial follow up with my surgeon since my surgery on 12/13. I too have started with the cane around the house but am still quite unsteady, way too cold here in nj to go walk outside...only lost 2 of my 14 strips as well, although I can feel a couple of the lil nylon stitches sticking out of thee incision. Will find out today about my precautions and whether my at home pt will continue or not, also, this coming Friday is my last day of the "coumadin." I just started to do some leg lifts on my own however THEY ARE KILLERS!!! I sleep in my recliner and love it. .......I too still take my pain meds, although not as much as I should, my leg is still quite swollen but it seems as though each day I truly am moving somewhat better, I'll get back to ya after my Dr.s appt. today...all I can say for you and I is let's just "keep on truckin!!"
 
hi @ststyle59 My hippy twin! lol Good to hear from you and good to hear you're doing well. Can't believe you've lost 2 of your steri strips already. Mine seem to be homesteaded! I get you on the unsteadiness and the cold. I haven't seen it this cold here in the south in years. I'm in my recliner at the moment..sleepless night..though I've been sleeping in my bed pretty regular since the first few days/week or so of coming home. Good luck on your home PT. Great you'll be coming off the Coumadin. One more step in your recovery. Be careful with the leg lifts. You aren't that far along yet and don't want you to over do yourself. Looking forward to hearing about your doctor visit today.:)
Best to you and definitely will keep on trucking! lol
Kay
 
@Kayviun Hi there Kay.....just popped in to check up on you.....know how impatient you are to be up and 'at em'. Your 4 week status sounding just about how it is...!!!! Don't think that ' energy flop' wore off for me until about 8 weeks and even now at 13 weeks comes back to bite me on the bum!!
Sounds like using the one cane is working well...it's a shame that it's so cold and you can't get to walk on the pavement ( sidewalk?).... Brrrrrr sounds cold....icicles from the tap..yuck......we are not freezing just about to float away with all the rain!
Those &@?&£ precautions!! They do play with your head.....but I really think your body protects itself and won't let you overdo the bending, twisting, etc.we all forget and then spend the next few hours worrying....I've just let go...but still can't put my socks on. Those darn steristrips...sounds like they dont want to leave you....didn't have those...had staples out at 14 days and nothing then.....haven't put anything on my scar at all...don't want to make it angry.
Your PT guy seems lovely ( even with his likeness to your Grandma). But you are doing a lot of PT....three times a week....you don't need anything else....I didn't have any!!
It seems on BS if you want to ask a specific question just slap it on your thread and some lovely moderator always picks it up ( wish my GP was as efficient, kind and caring..don't you) or tag someone.
I'm so glad that at week 4 plus 1 you are coming along nicely ( as my Mum would say)...... It's great when it all starts to come together..but remember not to overdo it...you've still a lot of recovery to go......still need lots of rest, good food and some pampering ( have you got someone there to rub your feet..that's heaven!) .....thinking of you darling...keep up the good work....ps. Thanks so much for the support you've given to my sis...she's home now!). Love Chrissie xxxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@ststyle59 So glad you are doing well in your recovery too....giving up the Coumadin is a great step...feels like a milestone reached...although had to heparin inject for six weeks myself....good luck seeing the doc...good school report I hope!! Leg lifts.....what are those...didn't even get to them.!! And my hip hasn't dropped off yet!! Walking stretched the muscles that tightened everything up for me. Hope to hear more of your recovery....you and Kay can keep up with each other.....no oneupmanship though please..LOL. Best wishes and take care...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Too bad about the steri strips - it's nice to have them gone. Hospital told me to let them fall off but my OS pulled them all off at my 2 week checkup - saying the incision looked perfect. I was surprised but glad!
 
@Hoppy Nanny, @Kay, "hi-ah!!"...ok, my friend took me this morning in my truck; to which I placed a garbage bag on the seat and backed-up to the seat and slid my big fat a$$ right onto the seat....whew....that was easy....all went well at thee appointment but waited over an hour to see the Doc, and of course, absolutely not one "hip chair" in the waiting room.....ugh....anyway, my OS's assistant removed the rest of my steri strips asked why I was using a walker (he didn't know that this was my initial follow-up post-op apt, duh); anyway, my OS gave me another script for at home PT, another script for pain meds, is keeping all hip precautions in place for the next few months, does not want me to drive and would like for me to use the walker if I should venture out (which I do not plan on doing for fear of not being able to keep to my precautions, ie., toilet heights, chair heights, thee infamous 90 degree rule, no bending, twisting, etc. etc. to which he reiterated to me over and over thee importance of "precautions,") ..coming off the Coumadin this Friday; all in all though, my OS says that I am having a great recovery; that I am "one month ahead" of post-op healing; he said I looked fabulous; which I know that is CERTAINLY not true; my OS (and I too) was truly amazed at how "graceful" my gait was with the walker and that I was walking without that "ugly, hideous" truly unsightly LIMP that haunted me for well over 2 years.....and to this I say a GREAT BIG AMEN.......ok, if I left anything out, I'll report back later...hope you are both doing well and I truly enjoy our shared thoughts, ideas and concerns..... will almost definitely be back on here tonight when I can't sleep...keep on truckin' ya'all.....Sincerely, "M" from NJ
 
@ststyle59 Great that all those steri strips gone must be annoying ..and you got all your med and PT scripts....all set for the next few weeks. Those plastic bin bags come in useful for the car run..I found taking my shoes off helps too. Oh...you must go out....I did at 4/5 weeks...took a cushion to bump any seat up and straddled the toilet seats...where there's a will..there's a way!! Made sure no bending or twisting though. It's so great that you have a good sense of humour...certainly helps in this situation..for sure! Do glad you are having a great recovery but do take it easy too. Best wishes...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny, you are making me laugh, thank you for your well wishes, believe it or not, I am totally content to stay at home now, especially with the weather as cold as its been here in central NJ. ....okee dokee than, I'll stay in touch.......have a pleasant night.......♥Michele
 
@_hoppy nanny, "LEG LIFTS," lay on your back with a pillow under your knee so that your surgical leg is elevated off of the surface you are laying on, now with your good leg bent for support raise your surgical leg about 4-5inches in the air, hold for 4 seconds then lower back to starting position....holy molly, last week I was only able to do 3, all while tears streaming down my face....I'm able to do, maybe 6 now, but they are "killers!!"
 
I'm wondering.. If I have questions, general questions for instance to no one in particular, do i just post them here on my recovery thread? I'm just wondering how anyone will know there is a question as there's quite a bit to keep up with what with the forum being so large. In pre op I know you can start a new thread that will be seen quickly but here not sure how it will be seen. Is there a better way to do it? Forgive me if I'm dense.
Thank you.
Kay

Yes, just go ahead and post your questions in this thread. We like everyone in the Recovery forum to stick with just one thread, so your whole history is here, and no one has to go searching to see the context of your question. The staff and advisors make regular passes through all the threads quite regularly, and among all the members there are quite a few who are doing their rest and recuperation, and spend a lot of time here reading threads. Your questions will be seen. And if by chance, no one does respond, don't hesitate to tag any of the mods or advisors. That's what we're here for. We LOVE questions. :)

Sharon
 
@Hoppy Nanny Hi Chrissie! Sorry it took so long to get back here. Just want to say thank you again for the well wishes and encouragement. :) I'm doing well and will do another update here shortly, but wanted to thank you personally!
I've been thinking of you and also your sister and wondering how you both were doing, but just couldn't seem to get back here. I've had a major flair up of carpal tunnel and had to stay away from the laptop for a few as it's caused more pain than Eloise..uh, my new hip. :) Wishing you well, and will be by to check on you momentarily. Thanks again!

@charmed-life Hi! Thank you for responding. The steri strips are a pain and seemed to be attached with super glue. I finally lost all of them tonight by soaking them with soap and a warm bath cloth in the shower. I lost 3 last night and the other 7 tonight. Not sure if they were exactly ready to come off, but my PT guy seemed to think they were hanging around a bit long (I asked about them) so I took it upon myself to hasten the process. Did you only have the steri strips at two weeks post op? I only had my staples out at 2 weeks and those were then replaced with ten steri strips. Anyhoo, wishing you well and thank you again.

@ststyle59 Hi and sorry it took so long to respond back to you. As I told Chrissie, I had a flare up of carpal tunnel and gave the computer a break for a bit. I have thought of you though and wondered how you were coming along. Sounds like you are doing great! My doctor also warned me to use the walker should I venture out. I'm not sure I'm ready to venture out for the same reasons you state, but I am suffering from a major case of cabin fever here! Today was stormy in the morning hours, but turned into a gorgeous and warm sunny afternoon. So much for life in the south. Frozen pipes one day and a couple days later it's perfect outdoor weather, at least afternoon weather.. lol. I know what you mean about long doctor waits and lack of proper seating in the waiting room I don't quite understand why orthopedic docs don't have better seating considering the line of work they do. Ah well, glad to hear you are doing well and that you have your PT and meds sorted out for a bit longer. Keep up the good work! Thanks again.

@sharonslp Hi Sharon and thank you for answering my question about asking questions. lol I wasn't sure about it.
Thank you again. :)

Kay
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom