THR Kay's Recovery Stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to read your update Kay...sorry it's still quite up and down....you will soon iron out all these mishaps and be on your way to recovery. The stiffness, Ive found, goes on for some time....walking with a normal stride was the best antidote for me....about a 15 minute walk at first ( there and back). Seemed to ease it off considerably, followed by resting in bed with ice on the hip plus pain killers. I then increased the walking each day by 5 minutes, with two crutches ....which killed my hands, arms and shoulders. At 10 weeks I am walking about a mile without pain, albeit still with one crutch. If I don't do it I feel that stiffness return. Yes the feeling ( as I call it) of torque in the hip and even in the groin wears off too...I felt it as like a twisting fist in the hip and groin area...it's not quite pain is it? As for the staples,,, I got the nurse at my local GPs office to do it.....but that was at day 10 .....it only took seconds.......what a trial to have to travel miles for such a short procedure....madness. It's not right that you have to keep having to get on the phone to demand meds, etc when you've just had surgery. I hope you get to sleep in your comfy bed.....nothing like it. My bed has become my greatest friend since the op....something I would never have imagined. In a few weeks you will be able to look back and think all this as only a blip in a good recovery. Again, at 10 weeks I am fairly back to some normality.......which at 4 weeks I could never have envisaged....still a few niggly problems but nothing too major.....you will be at that point too, very soon. Love reading your posts.....have a great Christmas but take it easy ....love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Kay I agree that your local office should be able to take out the stitches for you. It's ridiculous that you should have such a long trip just for that. I would definitely not refer to that provider and facility again. Geez!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
@Kayviun WOW!!! I just read about your ordeal and I'm horrified about your experiences with the hospital, doctors, etc. and their lack of support and communication... The part that really scared me was how little PT prepared you to navigate once you returned home... It almost sounded dangerous that soon after surgery... Had I not been able to walk 150 feet, go to the bathroom by myself and walk up and down stairs they probably would have sent me to rehab which I was determined was not going to happen... I'm so glad you finally spoke up... I totally get being a "nice southern girl" since I was born and raised in the south but you were much more tolerant than I would been (maybe 30+ yrs in NYC have tempered that a bit HaHa)... Anyway, so glad you are doing well and that you have good PT... I have found them invaluable with their tips for getting through all those everyday situations... Continued luck with your recovery because it does keep getting better!
 
@sharonslp Thank you for the suggestion. I had thought of going to a general clinic here (we have many) but again, it would have to be approved by insurance/doctor and no one can seem to get in touch with the right person or phone calls/msg's/ even fax'd correspondence aren't being answered. Looks like I'm going to have to tough it out. My PT just left and again was very concerned about the time frame on having staples removed. I probably wouldn't worry so much about it if they didn't but they, along with the original home nurse, seem to be very upset over it. As to stiffness, I find I'm getting better and better as far as that goes. I still get stiff and sore but it doesn't seem to be as intense and doesn't take as long to get moving. Thanks again.

@I'm finally gonna do it!! Definitely no referrals to this hospital! I'm usually one to give benefit of the doubt, but not this time. It was chaos from start to finish. But .. old news. Doing much better now. I have a great PT that has been very encouraging and has a sense of humor that keeps me giggling when he's here. Getting stronger every day. Think I'm finally at the point that I can say 'YES! I would definitely do this again!' Different hospital, different doc, but yep, I think it's going to be worth it when all is said and done. :) Thank you!

@dickinson Thank you for your kind words and empathy. :) It was a hard road in the beginning, but doing better and better every day. I hope I haven't put any one off with my story. I do think(know?) that my experience in the hospital was a minority and not the usual. I've had operations before and never had such a negative experience as this, even with the occasional nurse Hatchet's. There were always those 'angels in disguise' to make my stay and recovery pleasant. I can't even believe I went through what I did, but it's over said and done and things are looking brighter and brighter each day. Thank you again.

@dba212 Thank you also for your kind words and empathy. :-) I am doing much better since getting home and getting settled. I can't stress enough what a blessing and encouragement my PT guy is. I probably wouldn't have been such a 'nice southern girl' lol had I been in any shape to fight back in the hospital. As it is, I won't be giving them any great review..but for the one nurse who tried so hard to meet my needs on the one night. My PT was also appalled at how little was done for me in the hospital and the fact that they never prepared me for steps or even the most basic of caring for myself. Thing of the past though. Now I'm looking forward to upward and onward! :-) Thanks again!

Wishing all a great day.
Kay
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hoppy Nanny Thank you Chrissie! :) I'm happy to say my up's are out-numbering my down's these days. (Knock on wood! lol) I'm trying to walk with a normal stride, but haven't quite got there yet. Still on the walker. Wish I could say I didn't need it so much, but still can't put all my weight on my leg just yet. It's good to hear you doing so well. I have lots of updates to relate but will save them for a single post later. Thank you for your encouragement and for sharing with me. As always, there's something about your posts that bring me much comfort! Thank you again and wishing you a very Merry Christmas. :)

@Freaky freak Well I have an update on the staple removal. I was going to put it in a later post, but hooray! After numerous phone calls I finally got approval for the home nurse to come and remove them on Tuesday. Yay!
More later, but wanted to say thank you! I'll still have to make the long trip to see my doc on Friday, but at least I'll be traveling staple free. :) Thanks again.

kay
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Update Day 11 after RTHR surgery:

With all my worry about staple removal, while actually answering your posts above I got a call that the home health care nurse will be removing them for me on Tuesday! She may come on Monday, but most likely will be Tuesday. They had said she could do it today but she didn't want to push it too early. So, thank you Lord! that issue has been taken care of. (Thank you to those who have been praying for me. So much appreciation going out to you :-)
In other news, the staples have become quite itchy today. Can't wait to have them out.

I slept in my own bed for the first time last night. I'd previously, if you remember upon my return home, had slept in a twin bed set up in the spare room which didn't work out at all. I couldn't get in and out of bed alone and had some major pain in my neck the next morning, so had reverted to sleeping in a recliner. Well, with my PT's encouragement, I tried my normal bed last night. I am obviously much stronger and improved as I had no issues at all getting in and out of it. There was that one mad dash to the potty (among many but this one was a race to the finish! lol), but I weathered it just fine..sort of. TMI? lol I must say I didn't sleep very well. Not so much discomfort, though I don't think these new Lortab in place of my Percocet is covering everything, more just a 'can't sleep' sort of night. Maybe because of the new sleeping arrangements. I've been dozing more than sleeping and am usually up and down during the night quite often. Not an issue with the recliner, but the bed did give me a bit of a workout last night. Still, I awoke ready to take on the day, and after a quick nap :snork: did just that.

My PT guy came today and we practiced going up and down my steps on the front porch. No issues whatsoever though it was funny the way he coddled me and protected me in case of a fall or slip. At least now I know without any insecurity that I can get in and out of the house should I need or choose to do so. Figures, after a few days of sunny it's gloomy and threatening to rain now. I'd love to take a stroll, even a very short one, around the yard.

I'm still using my walker even though I feel I'm getting stronger every day. I did have a somewhat worriesome spell yesterday while having my bandage changed. I usually stand in front of my recliner with my walker in front of me while a friend changes my bandage for me. I had a very touchy spot, not on the incision but where the tape had pulled off some skin and when the disinfectant went on it, it began to burn a bit. Not even sure if this was an issue, but I suddenly broke out in a drenching sweat and had to immediately sit down for a few. It was scary in that I'd just walked from the hallway and had this happened while walking I've no doubt I would have passed out there and then as there is no where to sit in that area. Anyway, all's well, end's well, and I survived the episode. Just not sure where it came from out of the blue like that.

If you also remember my pain med dilemma and whether I would even get them, my doctor called in Lortab 10/500. I don't really like Lortab though I haven't taken it but once or twice in the past until now. It never really has done much for me other than make me manic/loopy. It does dull the pain/discomfort for now, but doesn't work as the percocet did. Still, I can manage. Hopefully I'll be off all pain meds soon enough..just don't want discomfort to interfere with my recovery as I seem to be on an upward swing at the moment.

I'm curious about one thing. In talking with my PT today he said one of the lifelong things I may have to watch out for is squatting and forward reaching at a bend. Has anyone been told this? It's not a major thing. He said I could probably squat eventually but that I might find it uncomfortable and he didn't really suggest doing it often as there was still a chance, even months out, that a dislocation could occur. I know this sounds crazy, but until my injury my legs were always very strong. I was always thrilled that I could squat so low at my age (to clean, reach, organize, whatever) and be able to bring myself up only on the strength of my legs. He said I'd probably want to use a stool in the future when I'm ready or I could get down on my knees in lieu of stooping/squatting. Not to be able to do so, while again, isn't major, it is a bit of a let down. (Not that I could do it now, but we're talking future here.) I also am somewhat concerned as my job requires a lot of bending/stooping as well as walking on hard concrete for an entire shift. Any stories, suggestions, input on this?

Also, not sure if this is allowed, but with laughter being the best medicine..anyone got any humorous tales to share about your recovery? :rotfl:

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. You are each and every one appreciated!
Kay
 
Update Day 11 after RTHR surgery:

I'm curious about one thing. In talking with my PT today he said one of the lifelong things I may have to watch out for is squatting and forward reaching at a bend. Has anyone been told this?

I haven't heard that at all though I guess everyone's situation is different... I don't really squat but coincidentally was down on my knees in my kitchen last night and mentioned it to my PT today that when I sat back how tight my thigh felt (no pain though)... She said that was normal but would eventually loosen up with the stretching exercises... As for bending forward I'm already able to touch my fingertips to the floor with very little effort and I am 5 weeks out as of today... My surgeon lifted my restrictions this week with the exception of one movement that I should stay away from for 3 months which I can only describe as sort of a bending to the side reaching for the outside of your ankle on the operated leg... The only time I think that might happen is when I shave my legs so I will figure out some work around for that one LOL... My rule of thumb so far when it comes to any new movement I'm not sure of is to move slowly and just push a little rather than force anything... Already with all the PT I can feel my flexibility improving.
 
In talking with my PT today he said one of the lifelong things I may have to watch out for is squatting and forward reaching at a bend. Has anyone been told this? It's not a major thing. He said I could probably squat eventually but that I might find it uncomfortable and he didn't really suggest doing it often as there was still a chance, even months out, that a dislocation could occur.

I have never heard such a thing. I am continually amazed by how differently people are advised by their medical professionals. I researched a lot online, and the medical websites also never spoke of lifelong restrictions. Rather they discussed how your life would be less restricted...after the initial healing period of course. I think you should talk to your OS. What your PT is saying does not seem right.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Once you're past the general recovery period and functioning pretty normally, your body will tell you what you can and can't do. There are a lot of restrictions that surgeons routinely say, so that if you do dislocate, their backsides are covered. And in some cases, it's true. Some people are at more risk for dislocation because of their particular anatomy and situation. Your PT is repeating what he has heard surgeons say. Ask your OS if there is any particular concern he has specifically for you, when you go in for your checkup.

I can bend over pretty easily....unless I am in the middle of a bad bursitis flare-up, which fortunately isn't happening much anymore. However, I would not ever attempt a deep squat! I couldn't do a deep squat before my surgeries. I can barely manage a shallow squat. But I think it is because I've allowed the necessary muscles to get weak. Plus being overweight doesn't help.

Hurray for the stitch removal problem being solved. Sounds like you are steadily getting past each hurdle. When you go back to work and have to deal with the hard concrete floors, you'll want the most comfy shoes you can find. We all have our favorites....mine are Keens. Do be aware that you'll probably need a new pair of shoes once you get really mobile. Our old shoes have wear patterns from our mal-adjusted gait. Once your walking gait reaches its new normal, the old wear pattern can create a lot of havoc. This is not bad news....no female hippie has ever complained about having to go shoe shopping. :)

Sharon
 
. Do be aware that you'll probably need a new pair of shoes once you get really mobile. Our old shoes have wear patterns from our mal-adjusted gait. Once your walking gait reaches its new normal, the old wear pattern can create a lot of havoc.

That's a really great tip especially since I live in NYC and walk a lot on sidewalks... I normally commute to and from work in sneakers and change into work appropriate shoes... So I think I'm taking those holiday gift cards and going shopping today to replace my sneakers!
 
@Kayviun glad to here things have turned around for you and there is light at the end of the tunnel for you now!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Back again on day 13:
I had a bad day yesterday. I think it was due to PT and pushing myself further than I have been. Not much, just practicing going up and down steps a couple of times, getting outside, and walking around the house for a bit back and forth. I was so achy Friday evening afterwards that I could barely move. I wound up sleeping that night (off and on. I don't sleep well but would doze/wake and go right back to sleep) and then slept all day yesterday (again dozing) and last night. I thought I'd for sure wake up stiff and sore today from lack of activity, but I've been pretty good this morning thus far. I managed to shampoo my hair again at the kitchen sink and bathe. Half way to finishing up I had to sit down and rest for a bit before I finished dressing, exposed butt and all. :yikes: This is twice I've had a spell where my energy level went kapult out of the blue and I had to immediately sit down for fear of passing out. Not sure where it comes from but gee already.
Other than that spell, I'm having a fairly good day thus far.

I have a couple of questions if any one has suggestions, experience, advice they'd like to share.

1. At what point were you off your pain meds? I've read where people were off of them within a few days. I feel a bit like the backwards patient as I'm still taking mine. I have been able to go a bit further between doses, but in the end I always have to revert back to them. More due to stiffness and soreness rather than any intense pain. I had a few periods of burning just below the groin area if I let the pain meds go to long but again, it's not an intense pain. More uncomfortable than anything.

2. At what point were you off the walker? I get along pretty good on my walker but can't really see myself giving it up right now. Problem is, it kills my arms and hands. A friend went to day and bought some Styrofoam to go on the hand grips to see if it will help. Often the pain in my arms and hands is my worse pain of all. Be glad to get rid of this cantankerous contraption.

3. For those who work..at what point did you return to work? My job consists of being entirely on my feet, lots of stooping, bending, lifting, along with ladders and etc. My work leave runs out six weeks after my surgery though I could probably get it extended. I'd love to get back to work and just the normal daily life but I'm really worried about being able to do my job six weeks after surgery. It seems like recovery is going so slow.

My PT thinks I'm doing well and am where I need to be at this time. I still worry that I'm behind the crowd. *sigh*

Other than those few worries, I think I'm doing fairly well. Two steps forward one step back but I guess that's to be expected. Just seems like it's taking an awful long time to get where I want to be.

Thank you to all and hope all are having a great day!

Just call me 'Inpatient Kay' :-)
 
Hi Kay.....sounds like you are doing just fine....THR energy drain is certainly a reality....it comes from nowhere....just your body telling you it's had enough....listen to it carefully ..please!!
I'm 10 weeks post op and have had a bad few days from overdoing it...had toslow down again.
Re: Pain meds..it's very subjective because everyone's pain levels are so different...I don't think you should try and compare yourself to anyone else.... I went with my own body.....took paracetamol / codeine every four hours for two weeks post op....suffered badly from the codeine ( bodily functions, say no more!). So just then took paracetamol if and when required. Now I take two paracetamol before bedtime and my pack of peas (ice). Found the icing a very hood pain relief.
As for the walker(. Think that's what we call a zimmer frame).......,only had that in hospital...came home on two crutches and stayed on them for four weeks...killed my hands and shoulders though. Went onto one crutch and still on it because of LLD and limp. I'm staying thus until my gait improves....again....nothing set in concrete..everyone is different...and everyone is right.
Can't comment on work.....us retired oldies have it good. However, I feel that I am almost..almost back to normal at 10 weeks.....except the energy drain still has some effect....I've had house guests for 3 days and I'm completely shattered since they've gone. I would take as much time as you need..perhaps stagger your first few weeks back..???
Not long now until Xmas day....hope you have a happy and pain free time. I'm travelling 2 hours to my darling daughter in Kent....my other daughter will be coming too..so 14 of us fir Xmas day...and I'm cooking the turkey....lots of love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Kayviun It sounds like you are doing well. We are so lucky to have this site to share experiences that help us all. Hugs
 
Update day 16 after surgery:

First, want to thank you all for your responses. I may not respond to all of them right now, but I do read them and appreciate them very much. Thank you.

I'm not sure if anyone will see this. Not sure how it works when you keep the same thread like this.
Tonight, a little while ago I got sidetracked and my brain apparently flew off with Santa's sleigh. I went to step with the walker and then remembered I needed to turn off the light and without thinking took a step towards the light totally without the walker putting my full weight on my surgery leg. My leg immediately went down though I didn't fall and there was a bit of pain. Now my leg is really aching around the back part of the thigh towards the hip and on the side where my incision is. Almost a burning/throb sort of feeling. I'm sure (positive thinking?) I didn't do anything but it sure does ache right now.
Phooey. I've had a pretty good day and went without pain meds until late this evening for the entire day with no issue. Figures I'd do something silly.

Other than that, I have good days/bad days, good half days and etc. I got my staples out Monday by the home nurse. I'm glad she took them out as a couple were already beginning to 'grow' and they were quite the jolt to pull. Nothing unbearable of course but a few more days and I think it would have been a lot worse.
I go for my follow up appt to the doc on Friday. I dread the two plus hour drive but have no choice.

For now I'm up and down. Had a bit of blues for a day or two which still seem to come and go but thankfully it hasn't lasted an entire day as of now. I seem to fall into a bad mood and can't get comfortable around early evening every day. It's almost like clockwork.

The PT says I may be able to try a cane sometime late next week. I was excited about that..getting so tired of this walker..but after this episode a few minutes ago, I'm now a bit fearful. I'm also having some pain up in my lower back since I stepped without thinking. I sort of twisted when I did it.

I apologize that my thoughts always seem to be all over the board and not really detailed or logical. I'm not usually like this so don't know what's up with that.

Sooo...the positives at 16 days are: I'm up and about more, making myself snacks and light meals. I could probably stick something in the crock pot or oven at this point but there hasn't been any need to do so. I don't need my pain meds around the clock. Still take them pretty regular but the time frame between doses is much longer now and today as said, I went all day without with no issues. :-)
My staples are out, even though my chihuahua held the nurse and my friend hostage in the bathroom while she was here. Bad Chihuahua. The nurse had gone into the bathroom with my friend to figure out how I could take a shower. I'd have to get over the side of the tub which is very high even with a good hip. My chihuahua chased them both into the bathroom..or shall we say the nurse chased my friend into the bathroom with my chihuahua hot on their hills. I was mortified. Nuf said.
I still haven't figured out how to get into the tub/shower..and I so wanted that for Christmas! As it is, both nurse and friend decided I should wait and ask my PT guy when he comes on Thursday to demonstrate how to properly get in the tub. This should be fun.

For some reason I can't drink coke anymore. I was a die hard coke addict. Ashamedly so but true just the same. Now coke seems to make me nauseous and I crave juice or lemonade Kool aide, something I've never really drank much of. Can't figure that one though I'm pleased to have kicked my cola habit. I also still can't eat much, not that I'm complaining but I think it leaves me weak sometimes. I'm an average sized person and a few missed meals isn't going to hurt me, but I do think I need the nutrition for healing so not sure what to do about that.

I slept well last night only waking up a couple of times as opposed to the usual doze/wake cycle. It's the first night I could say I 'practically' slept through the night. Tonight I can't seem to sleep at all though I've been up since early morning. I'll be glad when the sleep cycle gets regulated again.

I can get in and out of my bed with ease, something I couldn't do upon first getting home. I'm still stiff if I sat too long and depending, it can take a bit to work out the kinks. Still I think I'm making progress even if in bits and pieces.

I did have yet another episode where I thought I might actually faint. I've never fainted and in the space of a week I've nearly done so twice now. The first time was while having my bandage changed. Nothing to bother with but I broke out in a sweat, got dizzy and had to immediately sat down. The second time was the other day. I was at the kitchen sink washing my hair and doing the sponge bath routine when I felt the same way. I literally ran out of energy in the space of a few seconds and had to hobble to the chair to sit in all my glory while I pulled myself together. Some interesting times I've been having as of late.

For now wishing all a safe and Merry Christmas..or whatever if anything you celebrate.
Thank you for being here. You are loved and appreciated!
Kay
 
@Hoppy Nanny Hi Chrissy :-) Just wanted to say thank you for your responses. I seem to say it a lot, but I really do get a lot of comfort from your posts. You have a very calming spirit about you. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas. Sounds like you will have a crowd of fun! Don't over do and remember to take care of you.
May this be your best Christmas yet!
Kay
 
@Kayviun Seems like you are doing well....the usual up and downs but moving on......loved the story about the chihuahua ......a good judge of people are dogs!! The pain or feelings you are having since taking the step without the walker sound very much like your muscles grumbling as it's the first real step without the walker....I too had lots of times when that happened ( read my thread...I updated my progress this week...might give you an insight as I'm at 11 weeks). I went to one crutch at 4 weeks, wasn't ready until then...but I actually found it easier at that time as my hands and shoulders were killing me.
Sleep patterns are something that take quite a while to establish....safe to say at 11 weeks I'm almost back to normal, as is most everything else. Love reading your updates...and something about putting down your feelings and fears on here is so cathartic, isn't it? I'm sitting in my hotel bed now waiting tp get up and then go to my daughters.....so looking forward to it.......have a lovely Xmas .....don't let the fear / doubts creep in....sounds like you are well up to speed in your recovery....Cheers..Chrissie. X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thanks Chrissie. Still having some throbbing and aching in the hip since the step but thinking as you've said (thank you) that I just stirred up the muscles. Boy oh boy are they stirred up though! Feels like the side of my hip is getting really tight too. Ah well. I should go to bed but sleep eludes me tonight. Going to make for a very tired Christmas tomorrow. And yes, it is very nice to be able to come here at all hours and jot down worries, sillies, and temporary insanity's..even on a major holiday :-)
Have a grand time with your daughters as I know you will. :-) Much thanks and
a very Merry Christmas to you! Off to read your update...how did I miss it?
Kay
 
@Kayviun Hi Ksy....think that stiffness is the worst feeling of all....feels soooooo tight....icing is just the best for that....an hour or two with the peas is better than.....?.?? Well, I'll leave that to your imagination!! Just manage an over bath shower in the hotel with one of those child toilet steps...hope no one is peeking.....not a good look!! My poor hubby...what he has had to put up with! Sleep tight....Chrissie xxxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Kayviun, thank you for all your updates, I am right behind ya, my surgery was Friday,12/13, thus being home, today marks day 12. I too am still using the walker, my pt tried me on the cane Monday, just around my kitchen, which is a very small area, but it was quite difficult, she said no worries, my body will tell me when I am ready for the cane, her "mantra" is "less is best," with this recovery. I do take my oxycodone every night around 7pm and hardly take any throughout the day. My leg is quite swollen and stiff; I must use the walker to get around. Think I'm finally getting things in my head that "this" is gong to be a slow process with recovery. This forum surely helps out a lot, right? ....enough of my blabbering, hope you are coming along; ....."Merry Christmas,"....be well.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom