Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Kayaknlady's new knees

I agree, why do you want to get down on the floor? Is it because you live alone and just want the confidence you can get up if you end up on the floor?

I am 7 months and haven’t gotten on the floor yet, and I don’t see that in my future unless I fall!
 
I too think it might be a bit too early for the floor. I’m also pretty certain you can get up again, but... it will be painful, and you are subjecting your incision and internal stitches to more strain than you need to at this point. I’m already in awe that you did some yoga poses!

Less can often be more — much more — when it comes to healing from this surgery. No need to push too soon for some of your goals. You will reach them all, and more, by allowing your knees to heal before attempting too much. Let us know how it works out, okay?
 
@Kayaknlady, please be careful if you do decide to get down on the floor. That your knee is still warm shows it has some healing yet to do. While you probably wouldn't hurt the implant itself, the surrounding tissue might not like being bent and stretched that much. I am only now semi-comfortable getting down on the floor (at almost 8 months) - it doesn't hurt but feels weird - and it is very hard to get back up due to some muscle weakness. Your recovery amazes me! Happy dance here for you. :yahoo:
 
Yes, the closing of the surgical wounds for a TKR is something. I've read the one above that sistersnhim is referencing. You don't want to do anything that is going to set you back. Those kind of days will happen just by overdoing it a bit. You're way too early on this journey to be superwoman. :friends:
 
Boredom setting in POD 18. I can take a walk with my walker, do my PT and get around the house. I found Silver Sneakers videos on U Tube and was able to do mild upper body and gentle lower body workouts while sitting in chair. This helps me feel normal, because I miss working out at the gym. Doc said I won’t be able to drive for 6 weeks minimum post op. Is this what you other bilaterals did? Feeling better, stronger, daily
 
I was told by PT that I could drive at 4 weeks, because my knees were bending really well and my legs were strong. I didn’t do anything more than back the car up in the driveway, though, because my husband was such a wonderful chauffeur. Plus he’s an attorney and wouldn’t let me drive until I had medical clearance. I was too lazy and content to call the doctor to get it, so I finally received medical clearance when I saw the doctor for my six week checkup. :heehee:

I had no trouble at all driving at four weeks. My knee felt good on the brake and I think my reaction times were good. I’d also been off narcotics for a week. That’s one of the reasons for the six week prohibition, along with needing to make sure the knees have healed enough and are strong enough to do the necessary maneuvers.
 
Over here in Australia we aren’t allowed to drive until medical clearance from OS and off all strong pain meds. For me it was 7 weeks and I started with short drives to the shop.
 
I’m POD25 Bil TKR. I started walked with my tracking poles outside. I’m used to them from hiking and they give me a more normal gait. Inside I’m independent. Started on stationary bike for very few min. I was able to get to the floor for exercise and get back up independently. Wasn’t as hard as I had anticipated. I’m trying to reduce the Narco so I can drive soon. I live alone and hard to be housebound, but my friends have been good to me, giving me rides . I can hear the knees click( guess this is the new normal) . So nice to be feeling more normal.
 
Sounds like a great report - you're doing really well. Clicking and clunking can be a new normal or they can be temporary. That's the nice thing about this procedure - you never know what you're going to get :)
 
My knees clicked (never in unison but at different times) during my recovery. At this point neither clicks at all in ordinary walking, but occasionally will do so in odd moments like crossing my legs, or turning over in bed. Just like jaschemra says... never a dull moment!
 
Glad to see you are feeling more normal! I click and clunk in hip, knee and ankle often - but doctor says all is well with the joints - and while I have soft tissue pain, those joints don't hurt. The OS says my knee bends and my hip rotates so all is well. I wonder if the soft tissues that need strengthening contribute to that click and clunk, but really don't know. I hope that if the clicking and clunking bother you, that like SusieShoes you will wake up one day and find it happens only occasionally. Congrats on turning the corner to happier legs.
 
I’m now 4.5 weeks Post surgery bilateral TKA. I can’t believe how good I feel. I’m starting Tramadol today so I can start driving. Last 24 hours I’ve used 2.5 Narco tablets and added Alieve. The best sleep and swelling reduced. I still elevate and ice during day and after exercise. What a difference. I just want to encourage those still struggling in the early days. Anxious to get my driving independence back
 
I am at 6 weeks and my doctor just released me to drive today! Very exciting!

Glad you are doing so well!!!!
 
Yippee! Freedom! Another huge step!
 
I’m POD25 Bil TKR.
Please don't use so many abbreviations. I realise you use them at work, but most people here don't understand them.
We have a list of the abbreviations more commonly used on BoneSmart here:
abbreviations and acronyms
Apart from those, it's best on here to write the words in full. We prefer not to use text speak, too.
Thank you. :flwrysmile:
 
I bet that independence kicks me off my job Friday of giving you a ride to PT! :flwrysmile::giggle:
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom