Bilateral TKR Kayaknlady's new knees

It’s been 3.5 months since my bilateral TKA. I still take 1 Alieve a day and plan to stop that soon. My knees feel normal, but left one will ache if I do to much. Yesterday I did 45 min aerobics, 1 hr of yoga/ Pilates, and 10000 steps without pain. My usual is 2 hours of exercise a day , sometimes more. My flexibility continues to improve. I do get tired but I am 70 and hope I can get back real hiking with altitude so I am very pleased with my outcome. I just have to work on endurance. Glad I had a bilateral so it’s done. Also my balance isn’t changed . I joined weight watchers to take some of the load off that I’ve been carrying.
 
It’s been spring like weather in Missouri so I had to test my new knees a little. I’m 3.5 months Post bilateral TKA. The hiking I’ve been doing was flat so I picked a trail with lots of very steep , but paved hills. I use trecking poles. To my surprise, easy , no pain. I haven’t been able to do this hike all last year because of knee pain, even while using braces. Now I will have the confidence to go on more rugged hikes. I also rode my bike to the gym today and again encountered a steep hill. I went down to my last gear( but this is what I did prior to surgery) and huffed and puffed my way up that hill. I then did an hour of water aerobics and rode downhill most of the way home. These knees feel like mine , without pain, and are giving me a second chance at life. It was worth the pain, and all the hard work , to look forward to a life without knee pain. Not everyone will recover this fast, but it is possible, and hopefully, we all get to the endpoint where we once again can move , walk, work, play , without pain.
 
@Kayaknlady - I know envy is a sin, but I'm jealous of your new knees! I'm more than one year post-op for a LTKR, in worse pain than before surgery and facing a revision. I also have a bone-on-bone arthritic right knee that knees replacing and thought I'd be recovering nicely from that by now. My Dad had a bilateral when he was in his late '70s and was back driving, walking and ballroom dancing with my mother - all without pain - in about three months. I assumed that I'd recover just as quickly. But it was not to be, for some reason. I'm hoping to find out why when I go to my OS for my one-year review this week,

This is all to say, you are so lucky (or maybe most TKR patients are...and I'm just unlucky.)

Congrats on your speedy recovery. I wish I'd had your surgeon! How great that you got all your surgery done at once, it's all behind you and now you can get on with enjoying life! :wave:
 
@Knees4Me , I’m 70 , and I think us older folks don’t feel pain like younger folks. I had a great doc who was a sports medicine OS. I wanted a doc who would treat me as an athlete, not a 70 year old. I worked out every day pre op for a year, trying to get as strong and flexible as I could pre op and resumed my exercises as soon as my knees allowed. This might be the reason, or maybe just the luck of the draw. I’m grateful and wish you a continued recovery. Stay positive because I believe positive energy really helps. Let’s hope the revision will help you turn the corner to full recovery. You didn’t go through all this pain and surgery to still be in pain. Good luck. Don’t give up. Be positive
 
@Kayaknlady - I'm 68 - only two years younger than you, and I felt tremendous pain... Both for about three months post-op and now with continuing chronic pain. I can't tell you how positive I was before this surgery! I was persuaded by the doctors that TKRs were a panacea for arthritic knees. I did all of the pre-op exercises before surgery - and exercised as prescribed both during 10 weeks of rehab - two hours, twice a week - longer than some people who'd had their TKRs after I did! I also did the recommended exercises at home to keep improving my extension and flexion, which are fine. But as I got to six and eight and ten, and now twelve months post-op, I realized that I was not recovering. I admit to not being athletic like you, but I wasn't a total couch potato either. I used to love long walks, even with my hiking poles, and Zumba. Now I can't walk more than 10 feet comfortably and I had to use wheelchairs and a cane on a recent trip. Not fun. Maybe a sports surgeon would have been best. I just don't know. I'm sure I'd be full of positivity if my TKR had healed normally. This forum loves success stories like yours, but I've noticed that people, including my family - and I dare say my surgeon - get tired of hearing me say I'm still in pain. They expected a quick recovery too. I'll think of your positivity as I get closer to a revision and spend more time out of commission while I heal. And I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll actually heal and be pain-free this time! All the best to you!
 
Stay positive because I believe positive energy really helps.

:) @Knees4Me I was in that water aerobics class with her this morning and I wrapped my hands around her arm and squeezed and said.... Do your knees feel like this with the thick rubber band? Kayaknlady said, yeah, sometimes... I think it feels good! :) So I said, Okay, that's my problem, I need to consider this tight band around my knee as "feeling good". Reverse psychology, right? I say this with some fun in this post as I'm friends with this "results not typical" person and I am extremely happy she is having the results she is having because she is sooooo active.
:happydance:

And yes, positive energy really does help.
 
@jaschembra has been a great friend in our knee replacement journeys. She taught me so much, helped me prepare, brought me lunch when homebound, drove me to PT. We met at the gym, and coached me in my recovery. I’m very grateful for her , my bone sister. I have had a great recovery for which I’m grateful for. I hope the revision works for Knees4Me so she can get back to her life without pain and she can resume her activity. You can’t give up, just keep moving forward.
 
@jaschembra and @Kayaknlady - You two Missouri ladies do inspire me with your positive outlooks, although I know you each had a different recovery. I do get down in the dumps at times, because I didn't sign up for this setback...but you make me realize that I have no choice but to keep looking forward and try to stay positive. I wish I could be in that pool with you! Thanks for being such bright spirits!!
 
I’m 70 , and I think us older folks don’t feel pain like younger folks

@Kayaknlady Well I've got 3 years on you at 73, and I feel and have felt a good amount of pain. So I don't think being in our 70's means less pain, in fact, often more. What I think is that being at this age, for me at least, I feel like I don't want to waste time. So when my first surgeon told me no when I asked about a bilateral tkr, I looked around for another one and found one who said yes. Because I had things to do, people to see and places to go, and didn't want to spend two years on knee replacements. Thank God I was healthy enough to get the green light for the btkr. I do think that you were in very good physical shape going into your surgery kayaknlady, and it paid off afterwards. I was on a walker for several months leading up to the surgery, and couldn't even do my water exercises it was so bad. Now I am getting back into shape, but still do feel a little wobbly when walking. But I can feel my strength returning at a little over four months. I doubt I will ever be into physical activity the way you describe however. So glad you are able to do it, and please keep sharing about it.
 
mlwreader, I totally understand you urgency for not wasting time.At our ages, we realize every day is a gift and there is less time to fill that bucket list. It is understandable that it’s going to take more time, because you were so weak to start with. But you are working at it and improving. The water is a wonderful, forgiving place to start. Low impact and encourages movement, flexibility. Actually, we burn more calories walking in the water than on land. You’re in the right direction. By spring you’ll be so much stronger .
 
The water is a wonderful, forgiving place to start. Low impact and encourages movement, flexibility. Actually, we burn more calories walking in the water than on land. You’re in the right direction. By spring you’ll be so much stronger .

@Kayaknlady I agree about the water. But I have had ongoing skin conditions on my knees since surgery that have kept me out of the water, and I'm not cleared for it yet. I miss my class and my ladies, but hope to be back soon. I even have a new swim suit and carryall all packed and waiting for me to go to the pool. Thanks for you kind words. And yes, spring will be in the air soon! Keep us posted on your adventures. :)
 
I think your comment about the water is so true it is a forgiving place I started some gentle hydrotherapy a few weeks ago. It has given me a great sense of possibilities if that makes sense. The warm pool and the movement and flexibility is lovely.
 
I think being in good shape going into surgery does help with recovery, though it’s only one factor among many. @Kayaknlady is having a great recovery for lots of reasons, but a big one is she listens to her own body and knees. Maybe being athletic has something to do with her being so in tune. It matters, though, because when she pushes herself, she’s doing it very consciously.

Good point, too, about how our recovery “feels” to us. That tightness in the knee(s) is something I’m pretty sure we all share, but people interpret it differently. Having a positive outlook definitely helps!
 
It’s been spring like weather in Missouri so I had to test my new knees a little. I’m 3.5 months Post bilateral TKA. The hiking I’ve been doing was flat so I picked a trail with lots of very steep , but paved hills. I use trecking poles. To my surprise, easy , no pain. I haven’t been able to do this hike all last year because of knee pain, even while using braces. Now I will have the confidence to go on more rugged hikes. I also rode my bike to the gym today and again encountered a steep hill. I went down to my last gear( but this is what I did prior to surgery) and huffed and puffed my way up that hill. I then did an hour of water aerobics and rode downhill most of the way home. These knees feel like mine , without pain, and are giving me a second chance at life. It was worth the pain, and all the hard work , to look forward to a life without knee pain. Not everyone will recover this fast, but it is possible, and hopefully, we all get to the endpoint where we once again can move , walk, work, play , without pain.

Your recovery amazes me. Fellow Missouri TKR here. When I get to 3.5 months, I hope to be able to bike Forest Park again!
 
CarrieBTW, I haven’t done Forest Park yet, quite a few steep hills, but maybe in a few weeks. Hello to fellow Missourian. I love Forest Park also. Soon will be biking and walking those 6 miles with ease
 
I’m 4 months post op bilateral TKA in just 2 days. What a difference. I no longer live ,planning my vacations around steroid injections. Everyday is good. I’m still building up endurance on my biking and hiking, but it is better every time. Today I did 2 very steep hikes( short, but very steep with hills and valleys) . I took my time, huffed and puffed and used trecking polls, but no longer in need of my braces. I did this this afternoon after 1 hr of senior aerobics and 1 hr of water aerobics in the morning . I can sleep with my legs flat in bed. No big deal for the average person, but pretty special after months of elevating after TKRs. People at the gym said I have a new smile. Yes I do. The worst is over. My knees feel normal. I’ve resumed yoga and use 3 mats , one extra folded over to pad my knees, and my Amazon knee pads. Much of my social life revolves around outdoors and I’m ready. Kayak racing tomorrow. I’ll be kayaking and snorkeling with manatees in FL in few weeks . I love these bionic knees. Now working on shedding some pounds . Able to move better will help.
 
Back
Top Bottom